FORUMS: list search recent posts

Modular Anyone?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jamal Watts
Modular Anyone?
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:23:46 pm

I've been thinking about this since FCPX was released last week. Wouldn't it have been nice if FCPX was modular so that the user can pick the features that they need for their particular workflow? That way the app can be as simple or complex as the user needs.

Example, a prosumer could just get the standard app as it stands today. However, a pro working in a post house could go to the app store and download the XML/EDL/OMF module to add these features. Going further, there could be a Color Grading module to add things like curves and shape tracking back to color grading workflow. This way the app is what the end user needs regardless of whether they are coming from iMovie or Final Cut Pro.

Just a thought.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: Modular Anyone?
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:12:36 pm

[Jamal Watts] "I've been thinking about this since FCPX was released last week. Wouldn't it have been nice if FCPX was modular so that the user can pick the features that they need for their particular workflow?"

We already have that. It's called Final Cut Studio.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Jonathan Dortch
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:24:05 pm

[Jamal Watts] "I've been thinking about this since FCPX was released last week. Wouldn't it have been nice if FCPX was modular so that the user can pick the features that they need for their particular workflow? That way the app can be as simple or complex as the user needs."

I've been thinking about that, too. I'm totally not opposed to that structure, if indeed that's the plan. I'd pay willingly for anything that can return functionality to the platform for those of us who need it. It would really require a flexible API to accommodate this type of structure.

It would also allow a pretty cool system to allow growth for all of the new people to NLE's in general. Pay for what you need today at a crazy low price for a NLE, install the additional paid features when you're ready.

If this was the plan all along though, Apple gains nothing by hiding their cards on it.

JONATHAN DORTCH
BLACK WOLF CREATIVE

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:54:21 pm

I think this is why Apple is still working on the API. Since the API is the hook to all things it must be thoroughly developed and vetted first. Changing something in the API could break anything that hooks into it. Judging from the FAQ the API is still in development or at least further behind the relational database parts of FCPX.

Return to posts index

J Hussar
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:22:28 pm

I would love that - I'm not against a new paradigm, I like all sorts of paradigms - but forcing one way as the only way is what gets me cranky!

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:14:08 pm

My hope is this is exactly the plan. Apple builds the platform and the % everyone needs, and leave the other % to third parties. That way Apple gets to market to a wider audience and the high end can still build out a tool that suits their workflows. Time will tell.

Best,
Andy Richards

VP of Product Development
Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Michael Aranyshev
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:37:50 pm

Can I buy non-magnetic timeline module?

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:55:41 pm

[Michael Aranyshev] "Can I buy non-magnetic timeline module?"

Sure.

Sorry if that is a bit pithy, but you're asking for an entirely different UI metaphor.

Return to posts index

Jamal Watts
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:22:13 pm

Yeah, I hope this is grand idea. However, I would not want all the modules to be 3rd party. Apple has features that were in Color and STP that I would like back. I especially want my Color back because the only feature I can see that was brought in from Color is the shape but you only adjust the inside.

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:57:35 pm

Apple is probably happy to leave the grading market to Resolve and Nuke.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:04:59 pm

I've been thinking about this modular concept the past couple of days, and I'm wondering if it is even further reaching.

Is it possible Apple is hoping this new Thunderbolt allows them the flexibility to create more modular computers?

Try not to laugh at this - but what about running FCPx on a future Macbook air? Plugging it into a hard drive via thunderbolt and going from there? It would make sense that they have made this interface really only inclusive to one person editing a project.

Any thoughts on that?

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 30, 2011 at 1:55:15 am

FCPX actually runs rather well on my MacBook Air, though I'm limited to the internal SSD, which is fast enough for light ProRes work. With Thunderbolt, any Mac can be a workstation since the last big bottleneck, storage bandwidth, has been removed. The Sandy Bridge Intel i5 and i7 chips that come on Thunderbolt Macs are very stout, and so far all the Thunderbolt Macs support up to 16 GB RAM.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

Adam McCune
on Jun 30, 2011 at 2:36:00 am

So I guess it's not a crazy idea after all. Maybe this is part of the thinking....sell more hardware.

Writer/Radio host/Community Media Advocate

Return to posts index

Andrew Richards
on Jun 30, 2011 at 4:18:29 am

Selling hardware is always Apple's thinking, in everything they do. iTunes Music sells iPods. iOS and the App Store sells iPhones. OS X and iLife sells Macs. Pro Apps sell the most expensive Macs. Apple makes very little money on software compared to the money they make on hardware.

Best,
Andy Richards

Keeper Technology

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]