FORUMS: list search recent posts

Great demo of all new Premiere Pro features coming next month

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
Great demo of all new Premiere Pro features coming next month
on Sep 11, 2014 at 11:15:35 pm

Some fantastic additions to the work flow and interface explained in detail with video instruction here

http://provideocoalition.com/ssimmons/story/dissecting-those-upcoming-adobe...

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: Great demo of all new Premiere Pro features coming next month
on Sep 11, 2014 at 11:32:06 pm

If only they would fix the bug that makes an audio cut every time you change angles in a multicam source sequence or whatever the hell they call it.

Tim

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 12, 2014 at 1:40:07 am

Turn off Multicam Audio follows Video.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 12, 2014 at 3:02:42 am
Last Edited By Devin Crane on Sep 12, 2014 at 3:03:46 am

Getting rid of the subscription would be nice.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 12, 2014 at 6:35:20 am

I'm surprised at the general lack of discussion about the new features even on the PPro Forums, I think they're very impressive!

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:58:17 am
Last Edited By Robert d'Alexis on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:59:52 am

[Steve Connor] "I'm surprised at the general lack of discussion about the new features even on the PPro Forums"

Premiere Pro users are very blasé when it comes to new features.
They take them for granted. :-)
In all seriousness though, I find hem very impressive too.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 13, 2014 at 4:12:12 pm

[Devin Crane] " Getting rid of the subscription would be nice."

Oh, but paying monthly rent is so much fun ! :-)

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Remember kids, tracks are you friends when you charge by the hour. Track Tetris, game on!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:16:44 pm

Doesn't work. Still makes a cut on audio 1 every time you change angles. Does not change where the audio is coming from, just adds a cut point.
The only thing that does work is to have A1 untabbed and unselected and have A2 selected. A little bit annoying as so many functions are track selection dependent.

Tim

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 12, 2014 at 5:06:49 pm

[Paul Neumann] "Turn off Multicam Audio follows Video."

Unfortunately, no that doesn't fix it.

If you create a multicam using the"switch audio" setting and your timeline has audio 1 targeted, then every time you switch video angles PPro will place a cut in the audio on track 1. If audio-follows-video is on, it will change the audio to the new angles's audio, but even with audio-follows-video off, it will place a useless cut in the audio track. Even locking audio 1 will not prevent this behavior. The only thing that works is leaving audio 1 un-targeted and targeting a higher track. This is a known bug by Adobe and hopefully they have fixed it in this newest release.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:40:47 pm

Ah, I see. Wondering if I've ever encountered this. Probably. Bet I just did that Trim to 0 thing. Thanks, Herb.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 13, 2014 at 6:02:28 pm

[Paul Neumann] " Wondering if I've ever encountered this. Probably. Bet I just did that Trim to 0 thing."

For a single "run through" edit you can also right click on the edit point and choose "join run through edits." For fixing multiple or all run throughs, choose either the ripple edit tool or rolling edit tool and mouse click on the first clip in the group you want to fix and, keeping the button depressed, drag across multiple edit points. You should see a single white line trailing behind the selector and when you stop all the edit points you have passed over will turn red. Release the mouse, zoom into a run through edit, right click and this time all the run throughs you selected will be fixed. You can do the whole timeline this way.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:57:40 am

Tim,

Herb has done a nice article on multicamera workflows that you might want to check out: Multicam Premiere Pro

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:19:52 pm

Thanks, Dennis. I have read it and it is a great article. But it doesn't fix the bug that puts an audio cut on A1 every time the angle is changed even if multicam audio follow video is off.

Tim

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 12, 2014 at 6:09:24 pm

If you're looking for multi-cam editing FCPX hands down winner.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 12, 2014 at 6:12:20 pm

[Devin Crane] "If you're looking for multi-cam editing FCPX hands down winner."

Is that based on a feature for feature comparison? If so i would love to hear the details. I'm not doubting you, I'm just interested in the reasons why you made that statement.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 12, 2014 at 6:50:38 pm

[Herb Sevush] "Is that based on a feature for feature comparison? If so i would love to hear the details. I'm not doubting you, I'm just interested in the reasons why you made that statement."

We use Softron's Multi-cam logger for each live shoot to make edit and clip marks on our timeline footage for post production. After importing the clips into Multicam Logger, we export an XML which creates the MC clip when imported into FCPX with all of our notes laid out from the live shoot. During the re-cut all of the marks stay on the MC footage no matter what angle we cut to. Now it's been a year or so since I've worked in Premiere but the Multicam User interface in FCPX seems more easily accessible takes just a short-cut to turn on or off, the way the MC clip acts like a regular clip in the Timeline, the ability to go back into the angle editor and either add a filter or change a parameter and have it apply to previously made cuts is what sold us. Along with the fact that we don't have to pay for it each month for 5 different editors, 3 of which are part time.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:35:11 pm

[Devin Crane] "We use Softron's Multi-cam logger for each live shoot to make edit and clip marks on our timeline footage for post production. After importing the clips into Multicam Logger, we export an XML which creates the MC clip when imported into FCPX with all of our notes laid out from the live shoot."

According to Softron's website their multicam logger works with Ppro as well, so I don't see how that makes FCPX better.

[Devin Crane] " Now it's been a year or so since I've worked in Premiere but the Multicam User interface in FCPX seems more easily accessible takes just a short-cut to turn on or off"

In Ppro one keyboard shortcut to make an entire browser full of multiclips, another shortcut toggles the timeline multicam viewer off and on. So how much simpler is FCPX?

[Devin Crane] " the ability to go back into the angle editor and either add a filter or change a parameter and have it apply to previously made cuts is what sold us"

Same with Ppro

[Devin Crane] " Along with the fact that we don't have to pay for it each month for 5 different editors, 3 of which are part time."

The claim was FCPX was better, not that it was cheaper. And while I don't like the subscription idea I will gladly pay it so I can edit with tracks, with sync indicators and with the ability to make basic audio-only insert edits.

So remind me again why FCPX is the "hands down winner" ?

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 6:35:40 pm

If you are talking about something with a set track I would have to agree with you. However, if you have a multicam show that you have to cut down from an hour or more to twenty or so minutes using mostly audio edits that are underneath a shot that is not sync with that audio, then I would ague that FCPX is far from the best choice.

Tim

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:14:23 pm

[TImothy Auld] "However, if you have a multicam show that you have to cut down from an hour or more to twenty or so minutes using mostly audio edits that are underneath a shot that is not sync with that audio, then I would ague that FCPX is far from the best choice."

Our programs are usually 2-3 hours in length but mainly just 2 tracks associated with our Line Cut.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:35:08 pm

[TImothy Auld] "then I would ague that FCPX is far from the best choice."

Curious, but why?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:39:42 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Curious, but why?"

For me it would be lack of sync indicators plus lack of ease in making audio-only insert edits.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:48:24 pm

What he said. Recognizing that I could be wrong (yes, it has happened) I find FCPX to be cumbersome to work with in the situation I described in my post. Not undoable certainly - you can find workarounds for anything (I did it for years with Legacy.) If I had a music video or an orchestral piece to cut I would do it in FCPX without hesitation.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:02:58 pm

[TImothy Auld] "What he said. Recognizing that I could be wrong (yes, it has happened) I find FCPX to be cumbersome to work with in the situation I described in my post. Not undoable certainly - you can find workarounds for anything (I did it for years with Legacy.) If I had a music video or an orchestral piece to cut I would do it in FCPX without hesitation."

Open audio components, select range, copy, paste.

Or paste as connected.

I'm confused as to why this is such a deal breaker, or why this is any harder than anything else.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:31:47 pm

I'm sorry, Jeremy. It's just not that simple. By the time you "open audio components, select range" I have completed my edit in the timeline.
It's as simple as setting and in and and out. I do not have to open anything.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:33:00 pm

And I also do not have to copy and paste anything.

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:36:45 pm

[TImothy Auld] "And I also do not have to copy and paste anything."

Even easier

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:34:09 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:35:18 pm

Shift-e, set in and out, copy, paste.

It's no harder, most likely, you're editing with components open anyway (at least I am).

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:39:15 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] " Shift-e, set in and out, copy, paste.

It's no harder, most likely, you're editing with components open anyway (at least I am)."

How many more steps in Shift-e, set in and set out, copy, paste than mark in mark out?

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:40:28 pm

[TImothy Auld] "How many more steps in Shift-e, set in and set out, copy, paste than mark in mark out?"

We must be misunderstanding each other.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:43:05 pm

Indeed, we must be.

Tim

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:52:55 pm

I'm just curious, Jeremy. On an average show I am making between 1000 to 1500 edits. Are you doing similar?

Tim

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 13, 2014 at 12:04:06 am

No, I don't typically do 1500 edit programs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 7:48:30 pm

[Herb Sevush] "For me it would be lack of sync indicators"

That's the easy one. Assuming (just assuming) you can live with out those:

[Herb Sevush] " lack of ease in making audio-only insert edits."

Insert edits in to what and where?

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:40:10 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "That's the easy one. Assuming (just assuming) you can live with out those:"

Sync indicators - never leave home without 'em.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Insert edits in to what and where?"

Sometimes it's a matter of cutting to a different angle's audio and I understand this is fairly analogous with audio components copy and paste. Other times I'm cutting into my dialogue track from a non synchronous source - from either a normal clip or multiclip. Creating a"frankenbite" using the modern vernacular.

We had a thread here a few months ago with you and David Lawrence going round and round about this, and even if the X way of doing it works, it doesn't work better. So the question I have to ask is why re-train to use a new method that is, at best, equivalent to what I'm doing now?

And, as a reminder, this part of the thread was started with the claim that FCPX was "hands down" better at cutting multicam. I had always assumed this was true until I started working with Ppro. Now I'd be happy to learn why the multicam feature of X is better than Ppro from someone who can actually explain it to me.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 8:46:06 pm

[Herb Sevush] "And, as a reminder, this part of the thread was started with the claim that FCPX was "hands down" better at cutting multicam."

I hear that. I'm certainly not making that claim. Whatever's most comfortable to climb the mountain, I'd say to wear it.

[Herb Sevush] "Other times I'm cutting into my dialogue track from a non synchronous source - from either a normal clip or multiclip. Creating a"frankenbite" using the modern vernacular."

See, this is what I'm talking about. I cut dialogue all the time. I frankenbyte all the time. There is no way that this is not possible in X. It's easy in either primary or connected story lines.

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 12, 2014 at 9:27:02 pm

Not possible and easy are two very different things. It is possible to do almost anything in FCPX with workarounds. And the first word there is "work." And in EVERY OTHER NLE I don't have to worry about primary or connected story lines. Or what that NLE is going to do that I don't want it to do.

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 13, 2014 at 10:00:39 pm

[TImothy Auld] "It is possible to do almost anything in FCPX with workarounds. And the first word there is "work." And in EVERY OTHER NLE I don't have to worry about primary or connected story lines."

There are about 3 things in X I can think of that require workarounds. Shall I list them?

-no match frame replace (annoying)
-no true batch export
-no clip targeting/simultaneous selection of multiple edit points

Most everything else, particularly stuff being discussed here, just works differently. It ain't rocket science. Just different. And before anyone gets their panties in a bunch, let me just say that I've been working mostly in Pr the last couple weeks. It's fine. It'd be just as easy for me to list all the "workarounds" I need to do in Pr to accomplish what is dead simple in X. But I won't because I work with Pr the way it works, and I work with X the way it works.

Like Franken-dialog. Just as easy (easier IMO) in x as anything else. The Bonus in X is that once I get all my phonemes cut, or find the perfect dialog cheat to pix, I can hit a keystroke and lock it up in a single clip. Always in sync, and accessible in my browser. Simple, powerful. To do that in Pr requires a workaround. :-)

Pr is great. For FCP 7 folks it's an easy transition, particularly if you cheat and use the FCP 7 KB shortcuts. I don't because I like to use software the way it was designed to be used, but maybe that's only me. ;-) I just prefer X. Simpler UI resulting in way less desktop clutter. Really easy to work in the timeline, I can just cut. Every other NLE requires at least some pre-edit thought about where things will go. No tracks to mess with, and I can just toss unused bits at the end of the timeline to store them. Literally just throw them there. ;-) Skimming in general and Clip skimming in particular, that is huge. And, it's so much easier to find stuff (a huge part of my job) it's not even worth comparing it with anything else.

I made an FCP X library with all the same media as my Pr project because it's faster to find something in X, and then just enter the name in the Pr search field to get to it. I'm talking about wading through thousands of SFX and dozens of MX cues (in dozens of bins in Pr). A pleasure in X, a chore in 7, Pr, MC.

Also I never ever need to remember to save. Yesterday, I was working on X and Pr jobs at the same time. I was in X working, Pr in the BG. The computer froze. Not an app crash, just everything locked up requiring a force reboot. Opened X, the edit I had just made was still there. Had to hunt in Pr for a backup, rename it, resave it, and a couple edits were missing. Not really a problem, but little things like that make a big difference. To me anyway.

In any case, the newly announced features in Pr sound nice. Having smart folders will be useful. Good times. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:14:35 pm

You may list anything as you like. My present clients have delivery requirements. Do yours?

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Sep 17, 2014 at 11:15:40 pm

[TImothy Auld] "You may list anything as you like. My present clients have delivery requirements. Do yours?"

Yes

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 12, 2014 at 9:27:47 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "See, this is what I'm talking about. I cut dialogue all the time. I frankenbyte all the time. There is no way that this is not possible in X. It's easy in either primary or connected story lines."

First of all I never said it wasn't possible, only that I heard it wasn't as easy. But considering the fact that you edit in X and I never have, I will accept that it's just as easy if you say so. That still leaves me with Ppro having sync indicators and FCPX without them, and as yet no named feature in X (multicam wise) that Ppro is lacking. And to the question are sync indicators (with slip to sync ability)important enough to chose one over the other, the answer is absolutely yes.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2014 at 4:05:14 pm

[Herb Sevush] "First of all I never said it wasn't possible, only that I heard it wasn't as easy. "

Honestly, frankenbytes are super easy with the magnetic timeline, continuous playback, and kb shortcut trimming. Some will call it a work around, some might say it's the way it works.

[Herb Sevush] "That still leaves me with Ppro having sync indicators and FCPX without them, and as yet no named feature in X (multicam wise) that Ppro is lacking. And to the question are sync indicators (with slip to sync ability)important enough to chose one over the other, the answer is absolutely yes."

Yep, fair enough. It's a big feature to not have. I have taken to simply duplicating clips on the timeline (video and all) and adding them as connected. This way, all sync is maintained on each clip everywhere, I just turn on and off what I don't need, and in X, that is very easy. Yes, it's a different way to work.

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on Sep 15, 2014 at 4:53:24 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Yes, it's a different way to work."

After hearing about FCPX multicam after it came out I was very impressed, to the point where I started considering X for my own work for the first time. I had assumed it was the best multicam feature on the market. After working with Ppro for a while I have been pleasantly surprised to see that it matches up, feature wise, to what X has to offer. There are some bugs - most notably the unwanted cuts in audio 1 I referred too earlier in this thread - but I am pleased to find that it matches up to X on a feature for feature basis. Not superior, merely equivalent. The rest of my preference is based on Ppro's ability to match my previous workflow. I understand that with X you can always have the unseen video attached to your audio, thereby mitigating the need for sync markers, but learning a whole new workflow to simply do an old thing a different, but not superior, way holds little interest for me. YMMV.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2014 at 4:55:43 pm

My M always V!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>