FORUMS: list search recent posts

Avid announces resolution independence and new DNxHR codec

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ronny Courtens
Avid announces resolution independence and new DNxHR codec
on Sep 11, 2014 at 2:50:06 pm

Avid Connect Europe 2014 opened today in Amsterdam with some interesting announcements.

Christine Newman stepped up to talk about Avid Everywhere:

"A few examples of companies getting on the platform…Sinclair Broadcast…ITV…MBC in Asia."

... and to announce Avid resolution Independence:

"The lack of standardization creates too many points of failure for us as content creators... when any one link in the technology chain changes, your entire workflow can break down, costing you valuable time and money. That’s why today, we’re announcing a totally different way to solve the problem--We are introducing Avid Resolution Independence."

"A completely fluid architecture for working with material of any resolution – SD, HD, 4K and beyond… on prem…. or in the cloud… across your entire workflow."

"This new architecture allows you to scale fluidly with any resolution – proxy to native. Work with 4K today…., 8K tomorrow, and who knows….even 64K … 128K in the future. There are NO architectural limits."

"Media Composer cloud - edit 4k media anywhere in the world."

"If you choose 4k throughout the workflow or just at the end, you get same pixels back."

And Adam Kranitz announced DNxHR:

"Announcing DNxHR--a high resolution codec. Choose your bitrate from low bandwidth to what we believe is near lossless."

The full blog text can be found here: http://www.avidblogs.com/avid-connect-europe-2014-opening-session-live-blog...

Great to see Avid is alive... and kicking.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
Re: Avid announces resolution independence and new DNxHR codec
on Sep 11, 2014 at 5:56:43 pm

Haven't most new NLE's boasted a resolution independent feature set? I thought you could throw any format video, regardless of codec, frame rate or even frame size, and it would all play nicely on the timeline. Quantel has had this for some time as well.

Why is it a new big deal?

And the codec sounds great. We use AVID Dnx to go from our Macs to PC users with the Avid codec and it works great.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 11, 2014 at 6:14:43 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Why is it a new big deal?"

They have admitted that there are no more standards, and therefore introduced 64k and 128k, because why not?

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 11, 2014 at 6:37:47 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Haven't most new NLE's boasted a resolution independent feature set? I thought you could throw any format video, regardless of codec, frame rate or even frame size, and it would all play nicely on the timeline. Quantel has had this for some time as well."

It's hard to tell from the OP, but what I hope this mean is that Avid has done away with fixed resolution projects. You've been able to mix and match media in the timeline for years, but the project itself was locked at whatever resolution you chose when you started it.

For example, if I had a 1080p23.976 project and some gave me some 720p59.94 media I would have to make a new project at 720p59.94, import the media into that project and then transfer it into my 1080p project.

Return to posts index

Michael Hancock
on Sep 11, 2014 at 6:45:43 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "It's hard to tell from the OP, but what I hope this mean is that Avid has done away with fixed resolution projects. "

From what I've gathered online, no. There are still fixed resolution projects, but now they offer them up to 4K with a ton of stuff in between, as well as additional frame rates and color spaces. But it sounds like true resolution independence may be part of future plans.

See here:

https://twitter.com/editorbelga/status/510069020343934976/photo/1

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxQhenXCEAA5EO9.jpg

----------------
Michael Hancock
Editor

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Sep 11, 2014 at 7:46:47 pm

[Michael Hancock] "From what I've gathered online, no. "

Nuts. Hopefully, like you said, project resolution indigence is coming. I used to work on a doc show that used a boat load of formats and prepping for the online was tedious as hell on Avid because of it's fixed resolution projects.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 11, 2014 at 6:41:25 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "Why is it a new big deal?"

because they've been the last to do it, and people have been asking for awhile.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 11, 2014 at 11:43:45 pm

Yes they are last, but look at this chart:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxQhD84IMAA4B_7.jpg:large

It's a much deeper dive than most NLEs. Note the color space options, which is something X does not support.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:42:15 am

[Oliver Peters] "Yes they are last, but look at this chart:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/BxQhD84IMAA4B_7.jpg:large

It's a much deeper dive than most NLEs. Note the color space options, which is something X does not support.
"

Yea i was gonna mention, that altough they are the last, theyve one upped the game. Just didnt want to ruffle any feathers here since at the moment - its not out yet.

either way, as an Avid user - Im happy - but they still have a long way to go as far as optimization in the last few versions. 8.1 is pretty darn sluggish with some tasks, even on their own Nitris DX.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:44:57 am

edit:

they also announced Background rendering which is awesome.

And unlike FCPX - it actually renders while you work, not pauses until you leave for a few minutes.

Best thing about MC 7 was background transcode/consolidate.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 12, 2014 at 1:40:36 am
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Sep 12, 2014 at 1:52:11 am

Just wait, 128k is going to be a breeze to edit!

All kidding aside, you'll actually want to edit in 64k for the best real time performance.

All lying aside, good for Avid. Let's hope they show us how it's done.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]