FORUMS: list search recent posts

Did anyone see the Moviola Webinar on Resolve 11

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jim Wiseman
Did anyone see the Moviola Webinar on Resolve 11
on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:20:34 pm

It was on this morning. It is looking very good. Timeline track aficionados should be happy, and it bears quite a resemblance to FCPX. Interchange with FCP7 and especially FCPX looks very good. Will be giving it a serious look and some training after I return in early November from Europe. Leaving in 3 weeks.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: Did anyone see the Moviola Webinar on Resolve 11
on Sep 9, 2014 at 11:38:23 pm

Resolve 11 is very good. Great color corrector. Poor NLE. Editing tools are nice, but real-time performance is sub-standard.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 10, 2014 at 12:19:52 am

Is there a link?

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Remember kids, tracks are you friends when you charge by the hour. Track Tetris, game on!

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:30:02 am

Already a better nle than fcx will ever be. Tracks.

Mastered to SR with 12 tracks. Beautiful thing. Although going to tape has been getting a lot looser and nonsensical with every release since 8. Expected.

Audio mixer. Beautiful thing.

Edit playback is brutal still and frame fudging has a lot of lag. So much so I wouldn't dream of doing anything long form for a while.

Adding text is ok. Still a lot to be desired. Dissolves could be better

Film look plugins. Beautiful thing.

Compound clips is just blackmagic effing with me. Go back to the jobsian bubble with that nonsense. Give us a proper generator.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 10, 2014 at 10:38:25 am

[Jamie Franklin] "Already a better nle than fcx will ever be. Tracks. "

Seriously? So you have R11 with lousy playback, "brutal" as you put it, lousy dissolves, crappy titles and you don't understand compound clips. Yup, R11 must be better, by god, 'cause it's got tracks!! Oh, and a mixer, which personally I never used in FCP7 and hated in MC so I guess I don't miss it in X. ;-)

And how much color correction do most projects need that X or X and plugins can't handle? That's one thing that has amused me with the R11-love. "Gotta round trip to R11 for color." I would say most times not. Why complicate things by forcing a round trip? I mean, I have R11 and am learning it, but until it becomes seriously better for editing, it will have limited use in my work. Of course it looks a helluva lot like X, but those damn tracks get in the way all the time....Just my early morning, one-cup-of-coffee opinion. YMMV.

:-)

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Sep 10, 2014 at 4:58:28 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Seriously? So you have R11 with lousy playback, "brutal" as you put it, lousy dissolves, crappy titles"

Yes. Seriously.

Thought it was rather self evident from my first. I don't like the timeline. Shocking I know.

[Scott Witthaus] "and you don't understand compound clips."

Ah the internet. Sigh. And I guess you don't understand how Resolve generates clips. It's quite obnoxious. Compound clipping is obnoxious. There are work arounds and sometimes it just requires a "right-click". But when you are gapping breaks, filling holes, after 12 hours in a timeline you pine for a past life of ease in fc7 with a drag and drop.

[Scott Witthaus] "Oh, and a mixer, which personally I never used in FCP7 and hated in MC so I guess I don't miss it in X. ;-)"

Interesting how it becomes all about you. The mixer is there. Its a good start. I can monitor levels. Assign and it did a smash up job going to SR. Which is still a deliverable in the broadcast world.

[Scott Witthaus] "And how much color correction do most projects need that X or X and plugins can't handle?"

Not sure what that has to do with anything I said. But enjoy that coffee my friend.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:43:48 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Interesting how it becomes all about you. The mixer is there. Its a good start. I can monitor levels. Assign and it did a smash up job going to SR. Which is still a deliverable in the broadcast world. "

Isn't that kind of a moot point when comparing to X, since you can't output to SR from X anyway? The solution, though is roles in X, which effectively become the same as stems or subgroups in a track-based world. I routinely export multi-channel QT files in a DME configuration from X by using stems. Then using the AJA or BMD utility, you can go to tape.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:18:09 am

[Jamie Franklin] "Interesting how it becomes all about you."

Actually, it really is all about the individual and what works for them. So yes, it's about me. I could really care less that X doesn't go to tape or lacks an ugly audio meter and mixer. Not my workflow. I don't want Apple, IMO, to waste time developing those capabilities.

OTOH, for some, R11 is FCP8, what they always wanted with those options. That's great and more power to them. There are plenty of products out there that fit plenty of needs.

Just not for me, and remember it's all about....

;-)

regards -

sw

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 10, 2014 at 5:50:29 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "And how much color correction do most projects need that X or X and plugins can't handle"

Scott, I do it all the time on most commercials. I can go way deeper and better in Resolve than I can in X, even though the grading tools are good for an NLE in X.

For example, shape masks and tracking requires SliceX/TrackX and that doesn't really work well in conjunction with the color board. Many of the grades I do in Resolve or any other tool (including stacked corrections in X) require 4-8 nodes/layers/etc. OTOH, for a lot of the web videos and corporate pieces, I'll stick with X.

So yes, you can do it in X, but it's better and faster - AND looks more professional in front of a client - if you use Resolve. Did I mention it's FREE. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:17:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] "Scott, I do it all the time on most commercials."

i believe you do, absolutely, but for a lot of people, they don't do anything beyond what a Fast Color Corrector type plugin can do for them (and still seeing a lot of default Magic Bullet Looks in projects too).

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 12, 2014 at 11:06:09 am

[Oliver Peters] "OTOH, for a lot of the web videos and corporate pieces, I'll stick with X."

For my commercial work for agencies, there usually is a color correct line-item in the budget. That's not me; I'm the storyteller. We bring our stuff to a colorist, who by the way, uses Resolve! Same with audio. Broadcast goes to an audio house and an audio engineer.

But for that web and non-broadcast stuff I wear all those hats and quite honestly X does about everything I need. I loathe the idea of moving to other platforms when it's not really necessary. Again, I think a lot of folks feel they have to do it simply because it can be done (with varying degrees of success). An effective workflow that is clean and efficient is what I like.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 12, 2014 at 12:15:46 pm

In many cases I am the colorist. However, most of the Resolve houses I have worked with will NOT accept anything other than an EDL because they often are on the Linux version of the product.

Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 10, 2014 at 2:29:35 pm
Last Edited By Bret Williams on Sep 10, 2014 at 2:30:28 pm

The audio mixer has to be the ugliest most useless audio mixer ever. And it ties into that wonderful playback. Since you can't move or breathe while Resolve 11 plays back, you certainly can't adjust an audio fader!

The shell of an NLE is there, with better trimming tools by far, and the Keyframes would be decent if you could actually copy and paste them or adjust more than one at a time. What the app is dearly missing is content. No FX, titles, templates, generators, transitions, audio fx, plugins, etc. Unless you want to pay for sapphires overpriced glows and light rays.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 10, 2014 at 3:46:24 pm

All I can add is that Resolve 11 is the best conduit from FCPX (due to Audio Sync R3Ds) to Avid MC AAF ;)
Now as far as NLE, I dont think it can cut it...pardon the pun ;)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:02:25 pm

[Bret Williams] "What the app is dearly missing is content. No FX, titles, templates, generators, transitions, audio fx, plugins, etc. Unless you want to pay for sapphires overpriced glows and light rays."

Which is why FCP X is a better choice for finishing. Did get an e-mail from Boris today and Boris Continuum Complete 9 is now available for Resolve, just hoping for more third-party support. Would love to see Red Giant Universe as an option. High quality stuff without breaking the bank, on monthly plan but will upgrade soon.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:18:06 pm

Ah, just like Media100 in the 90s where we had to use Boris and After Effects to do anything but cut and dissolve. I know R11 is free, but that doesn't change that there isn't really anything available or included. What would've really tripped some people up is if they had send to motion before apple!

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:26:51 pm

[Bret Williams] " What would've really tripped some people up is if they had send to motion before apple!"

That would be interesting, guess that would make for a good feature request!

Wondering what Apple has planned for the 10.1.4 update.

Remember kids, tracks are you friends when you charge by the hour. Track Tetris, game on!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:18:24 pm

[David Mathis] "Boris Continuum Complete 9 is now available for Resolve, just hoping for more third-party support."

I mean, it's Blackmagic...they don't cover all their bases right out of the gate. One of their cameras can format media internally now.

I'm sure it's heading in that direction, but it'll take some iteration to get there.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 10, 2014 at 7:24:03 pm

The camera I have still requires the SSD to be formatted on the Mac, just a minor inconvenience. I do love the fact they added the histogram and audio meters. I think Blackmagic will continue to innovate in the right direction. They are new to some territory out there such as adding editing features to Resolve, next release will probably add more functionality. Competition is a good thing.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Sep 10, 2014 at 8:08:47 pm

[David Mathis] "The camera I have still requires the SSD to be formatted on the Mac, just a minor inconvenience."

Which is why I said "one" camera. You don't have that one camera, I would assume. And it's just a minor inconvenience until it halts shooting.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 10, 2014 at 8:28:32 pm

What is it about Red Giant that everyone likes? I don't see anything that interesting for those prices. I find just as useful stuff at fcpeffects where I can buy half their catalog for a couple hundred. Motionvfx is a but more useful too. Mlooks, mflare, mObject, all great stuff for next to nothing, especially when they have their sales. But to each their own of course.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Sep 10, 2014 at 8:58:56 pm

[Bret Williams] "What is it about Red Giant that everyone likes? I don't see anything that interesting for those prices. I find just as useful stuff at fcpeffects where I can buy half their catalog for a couple hundred. Motionvfx is a but more useful too. Mlooks, mflare, mObject, all great stuff for next to nothing, especially when they have their sales. But to each their own of course."

Aside from the effects, RGU supports more applications, runs on two platforms and allows you to vote on plugin development. Red Giant support is also incredibly good. IMO, the combined products and services are a steal. There's also the licensing model - having subscription and buyout as options is the way to go. At least, that's why I like RGU.

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 10, 2014 at 11:50:13 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Sep 11, 2014 at 12:04:01 am

That, and frequent updates. Even if you choose to go free membership, still lots of goodies. Tutorials and other super cool stuff on their website as well.

Another company for visual effects would be Rampant Design Tools, lots of great stuff and they are not plug-ins but rather QuickTime movies. Tons of great stuff there as well. It might just be me but both Universe and RDT is an essential part of the tool set.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 11, 2014 at 2:24:04 am

So what effects in red do you find indispensable?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 13, 2014 at 7:23:52 pm

I do like lens flare plug-in and some of the transitions. The carousel plug-in is interesting as well. They do have a free membership with a trial period for premium products.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]