FORUMS: list search recent posts

Construction continues on the edit media deathstar

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Aindreas Gallagher
Construction continues on the edit media deathstar
on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:09:44 pm

.1 release in a week or two:

New Search Bins allow editors to build new bins automatically, based on metadata searches within a project.

An advanced Timeline Search makes it simple to find and select clips within a sequence based on specific criteria such as Clip Name or Marker comment.

Source Monitor Timeline View allows editors to preview sequences from other projects, getting direct access to their components to quickly bring into the current active project.

Consolidate and Transcode converts sequences or an entire project into a single codec, while retaining the ability to make edit adjustments later, and leaving original projects untouched.

Render and Replace enables quick timeline renders of clips and dynamically linked After Effects composition, with the ability to return to the original media or comp at any time.

full encode/decode support for the GoPro CineForm codec

a free-draw polygon pen tool, and easy, on-screen Bezier adjustments, with feathering and expansion now accessible directly from the monitor.

that's a .1 release??

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: Construction continues on the edit media deathstar
on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:15:14 pm
Last Edited By Steve Connor on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:20:12 pm

Curves in Speedgrade - woo hoo!

and support for BMD cards!

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 8, 2014 at 12:41:38 pm

Now you understand, first hand, what a Creative Cloud subscription can do, Aindreas. Adobe is for serious.

And this is the theme song:

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Sep 8, 2014 at 1:23:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Adobe is for serious."

they really really are going at it like the hounds of hell alright. And I did pay for the year off three days overtime so, to be fair like...

Some update list. They've even got full AE CC variable mask feathering in PPro by the looks of the screen shot. That's completely bananas, and extremely nice news for CC work. between that, the luts, the adjustment layers, the tracking, and the speedgrade integration that is just an outright insane colour toolset.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 8, 2014 at 3:24:06 pm

A great update indeed! And happy to see Premiere is catching up with FCP X (-:

New Search Bins allow editors to build new bins automatically, based on metadata searches within a project.

Smart Collections

An advanced Timeline Search makes it simple to find and select clips within a sequence based on specific criteria such as Clip Name or Marker comment.

Timeline Index

Source Monitor Timeline View allows editors to preview sequences from other projects, getting direct access to their components to quickly bring into the current active project.

Make a Project CC and open it in the Event Viewer. You can skim through the Project and cut any part of the Project into the active Project that is opened in the main Viewer, getting direct access to its components (SHIFT+CMD+G)

Consolidate and Transcode converts sequences or an entire project into a single codec, while retaining the ability to make edit adjustments later, and leaving original projects untouched.

Consolidate Projects or entire Libraries with Optimized Media?

Render and Replace enables quick timeline renders of clips and dynamically linked After Effects composition, with the ability to return to the original media or comp at any time.

Still waiting for Motion integration, but it's coming. Maybe we won't have to render at all (-:

full encode/decode support for the GoPro CineForm codec

Native import and decode, but best to optimize to ProRes for smooth playback.

a free-draw polygon pen tool, and easy, on-screen Bezier adjustments, with feathering and expansion now accessible directly from the monitor.

SliceX, with motion tracking.

Just pulling your leg, Aindreas (-: I do agree it's a nice update.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Sep 8, 2014 at 3:36:09 pm

Ronny- indeed I thought I'd heard of a few of those somewhere before but the more the merrier. All editors should have access to cutting edge tools (eventually). :) For some additional alternatives, please check out this article.

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:16:56 pm

Thanks for posting the link and agree with everything in the article. I am in the camp of not everyone needs the entire suite of products. One thing I would like to point out, however, is that sometimes I prefer to batch export out of Resolve rather then Compressor, depending on what I need to do. Resolve feels a bit easier to use and sometimes a better choice. Not being critical of one or the other, but having a low cost alternative is a thing to have.

Here is my current "suite":
FCP X
Motion 5
Compressor 4
Resolve 11 (full version)
Red Giant Universe
Pixelmator
iDraw
Media Info
7 to X

Odd thing is, I am on monthly plan with Universe and like it so far. I have the option to upgrade to annual (somewhat cheaper) or lifetime membership.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:10:39 pm

I just wish Apple would give us a roadmap for FCPX again, it's starting to feel like very slow development compared to the pace that Adobe is setting and it's advantages are getting slowly whittled away.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:19:28 pm

I agree. Perhaps some more stuff will be in the next update when the new version of OS X is released. Motion needs to be developed as well.
Resolve is one alternative I am looking at if Apple fails to develop X further. Lightworks looks interesting as well. Time will tell.

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Sep 8, 2014 at 4:45:25 pm

Lessons learned from the past: every time we think the FCP X team has fallen asleep they unexpectedly release a feature update that surprises everyone. Then they silently retrieve into the secret Apple development dungeons again, giving the others the time to catch up (-:

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Sep 8, 2014 at 5:22:41 pm

I haven't felt that way for about 10 months. This time last year we were all hoping and asking for the same stuff we wanted for Christmas last year. Instead Santa brought us something we didn't know we needed in the form of libraries.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Sep 8, 2014 at 6:02:46 pm

[Steve Connor] "I just wish Apple would give us a roadmap for FCPX again, it's starting to feel like very slow development compared to the pace that Adobe is setting and it's advantages are getting slowly whittled away."

What roadmap did Adobe give us? Or Avid for that matter?

Nothing here makes me jump on the Pp bandwagon.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 8, 2014 at 7:38:12 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "[Steve Connor] "I just wish Apple would give us a roadmap for FCPX again, it's starting to feel like very slow development compared to the pace that Adobe is setting and it's advantages are getting slowly whittled away."

What roadmap did Adobe give us? Or Avid for that matter?"

Granted there is an average of 3 months for the update cycle on FCP X but many useful features have been added in. Libraries, better media management, not so much the next big thing like cheesy transitions. We have more than enough of those. :-) I prefer a faster update schedule but refinement under the hood matters more to me.

As to a road map, things can change an instant.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Remember kids, tracks are you friends when you charge by the hour. Track Tetris, game on!

Return to posts index

Daniel Frome
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:36:13 pm

what would finally complete construction of this video death star?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:40:35 pm

[Daniel Frome] "what would finally complete construction of this video death star?"

The final brick, of course:

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:42:37 pm

[Daniel Frome] "what would finally complete construction of this video death star?"

Nothing! Customer requirements will always continue to come and therefore there will always be one more laser cannon to build, another Tie Fighter.. wait a second, I thought we're the rebel alliance - I want to be the good guys!!!

Seriously, we will always be innovating to try and satisfy as many potential customers as we can.

Dennis - Adobe guy (and secret spy for the Rebel Alliance!)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Sep 9, 2014 at 4:52:30 pm

[Dennis Radeke] " I thought we're the rebel alliance - I want to be the good guys!!! "

Sorry Dennis that's us humble Editors

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]