Genarts discontinues Saphire Edge

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
Genarts discontinues Saphire Edge
on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:15:08 pm

http://www.genarts.com/support/sapphire-edge/final-cut-pro

Discontinuation Notice

After much consideration, GenArts has decided to discontinue Sapphire Edge in 2014 in order to focus our efforts on making Sapphire, our flagship plugins suite, a more accessible product that will meet the evolving demands of post production. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause, and want to ensure Edge users are aware of the recommended next steps during this time. We have updated the FAQ with a new section related to the discontinuation of Sapphire Edge, below.

Return to posts index

Marcus Samuel-Gaskin
Re: Genarts discontinues Saphire Edge
on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:34:58 pm

Like seriously , Sapphire has to be the most overrated, overpriced , difficult to use set of plugins in history, especially on the Avid platform. The ridiculous amount of protection money productions have to pay Genarts to licence a bunch of glows and and transitions is amazing. I'd choose FX Factory over them any day.

Return to posts index

Ryan Holmes
on Sep 3, 2014 at 1:52:08 pm

[Marcus Samuel-Gaskin] "Sapphire has to be the most overrated, overpriced , difficult to use set of plugins in history, especially on the Avid platform. The ridiculous amount of protection money productions have to pay Genarts to licence a bunch of glows and and transitions is amazing. I'd choose FX Factory over them any day."

Marcus - can you tell us how you really feel? I think you're holding back here...!! :-D

Ryan Holmes
http://www.ryanholmes.me
@CutColorPost

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:49:15 pm

I imagine the profit margins and sales were low compared to Noiseindustry's FXFactory. I suspect they though FXCentral would generate ongoing revenue. With the release of RedGiant Universe, I don't doubt Genarts saw no way to make it a go in this market.

Tangential but I've heard BorisFX is not particularly happy with Boris Continuum Complete for FCPX as well.

I honestly can't imagine full Sapphire being released for FCPX unless Genarts is implying a major price drop.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 3, 2014 at 3:09:01 pm

[Craig Seeman] "With the release of RedGiant Universe, I don't doubt Genarts saw no way to make it a go in this market."

Universe was no doubt a game changer for me. Both subscription and lifetime membership options were just part of the equation. I have purchased a few products from Red Giant, have been happy with the plug-ins and great customer support.

I am a little surprised that the competition has not adopted a similar model. I personally think that Universe is a great marketing strategy in addition to the product offering. Great way to get people introduced to your products, perhaps they will upgrade to the suite products. My two cents, whatever it is worth.

camera operator | editor | production assistant

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Sep 3, 2014 at 7:13:57 pm

Lol... totally agree. The cool thing with FCPX is al the creators out there making some cool plug-ins and fx for a very affordable prices. Never liked it when an add-on cost most than the app your adding it to.

It was at a Vegas premiere that I resolved to become an avid FCPX user.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 3, 2014 at 2:59:26 pm

By more accessible, does this mean they will drop the price? Would love to purchase it for both FCP X and Resolve but it is very much cost prohibitive for me at this time.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 3, 2014 at 3:31:43 pm

This might be Genarts direction.
Maintenance Subscription.
http://www.genarts.com/sapphire/maintenance

Click on the bottom link for prices. It shows PPro/AE for $306 for one year
This seems very different than the $169/mo rental.

Note this too. So it's clearly different than "rental"
All Maintenance licenses are permanent and continue to be functional once the Maintenance and Support contract expires.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Sep 3, 2014 at 3:59:55 pm

[Craig Seeman] "This might be Genarts direction. Maintenance Subscription."

Maintenance is an agreement for providing updates and support to permanent license holders. It's an alternative to purchasing upgrades, not to making the initial investment in the license.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:20:22 pm

So this is "more accessible?"
Sounds like they have no interest in an entry level product or "accessible" by any definition I'd use.
They're still limited to broadcast fx work.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Sep 3, 2014 at 4:34:14 pm

I think that the maintenance program has been around since at least last year. My understanding is you much purchase a permanent license before you qualify for the maintenance program. I could be mistaken, perhaps someone else might have more knowledge.

Because of the high initial price of admission with Saphire I have chose to go with Universe, for now. I will be giving serious consideration to Boris Continuum Complete 9, when it becomes available for Resolve, should be soon. My two cents, whatever it is worth.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]