FORUMS: list search recent posts

File naming on import

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Brett Sherman
File naming on import
on Aug 26, 2014 at 6:53:14 pm

So this is a case of I liked it before they changed it. With the new naming conventions in import it now takes the name from the camera. I like to have a unique name for each video clip. That way when I search for it in the future multiple clips don't come up for the same name.

The problem is especially acute for AVCHD footage where it always starts with Clip #1. I'm going to have hundreds of "Clip #1"s Is there any way to use the time/date naming convention. I can't seem to find a preference setting anywhere.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: File naming on import
on Aug 26, 2014 at 7:25:55 pm

Surely.

Select all the clips you want to rename (this only works for the clip name inside FCPX, and does not rename them in the Finder).

Open the inspector, click the info tab, on the bottom of the inspector there's a drop down called "Apply Custom Name", choose the first in the list, Clip Date/Time.

You can even edit those specs and create your own string if you'd like.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 26, 2014 at 7:51:28 pm

I wish there was a way to create keywords in Resolve, use the folders in the media pool as events and have that carry over to FCP X when editing. I bring this up as I mainly shoot raw, render out in ProRes with same resolution as the raw files and send it to X for editing.

camera operator | editor

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:11:24 pm

It's really for file management and easier relinking, so it needs to be at the Finder level. Sounds like the answer is "No".

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:18:56 pm

FCPX can now import native AVCHD files, so that means you'd have to break the card structure of the AVCHD files.

You can use something like A Better Finder Rename and import the renamed files to FCPX: http://www.publicspace.net/ABetterFinderRename/

I'd be careful with that as you won't have a proper AVCHD structure anymore, but maybe that's not important to you?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 26, 2014 at 9:28:59 pm

Yeah, it is unfortunate that they don't offer a way to have it either way. When I adjust time and date created there is an option to also change the files as well.

I use A Better Finder Rename, it's pretty great as you can quickly add sequential suffixes or prefixes, remove things from multiple files, pretty much anything you can think of.

It would make roundtripping much easier if we could just change the file names in FCPX though.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:20:30 am

[Brett Sherman] "the Finder level"

And now I propose the ├╝ber David Lawrence media management technique. Recall previously he stated he plans to use FCP for the key words, then Xto7, then XML to Premiere. For finder level support, try using Prelude first!

Dump the camera archive somewhere. Ingest it into Prelude (transcoding as necessary), batch rename in Bridge. Import into X

A brave new world.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Aug 27, 2014 at 1:19:39 am

I prefer ingest with Prelude with custom batch renaming (no transcoding) send to PPro.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 27, 2014 at 2:21:12 am

[Paul Neumann] "I prefer ingest with Prelude with custom batch renaming (no transcoding) send to PPro."

I agree, Prelude is really useful.

I'm just trying to see if I can live without the subscription with Adobe alternatives. If my workflow does suffer for it, I will sign up, it's been pretty smooth since 10.1 came out.

Return to posts index

JP Pelc
on Sep 2, 2014 at 9:13:15 pm

Prelude is available in CS6. So you could purchase it and own it, although I'm not sure what the price is

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 27, 2014 at 9:04:42 am

Well, I like Paul's suggestion best ('cuz it uses Premiere Pro!) but Richard is right on...

You can ingest (transcode or not depending on your preference) and do a batch rename that is custom and saved as a preset directly in Prelude. It's pretty easy to set up. The only nagging thing for me personally is that it doesn't allow spaces in the names, so I am in the habit of using an '_' in place of a space.

Bridge is superfluous in this case but a great tool for batch renaming.

HTH - Dennis

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 27, 2014 at 1:24:53 pm

I will take a look at Prelude. Is it on CS6? Our organization is still on CS6 for obvious reasons. (Ahem) Would I lose any metadata when I import into FCP X and will it allow me to retain original camera codec (XDCAM HD Canon and AVCHD) and be fully optimized to work in FCP X?

Not having spaces in the name is no big deal for me. I'm used to it.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 27, 2014 at 1:34:53 pm

[Brett Sherman] "I will take a look at Prelude. Is it on CS6?"

Unfortunately, the file renaming feature is a part of Creative Cloud, but Prelude is a part of CS6.

Metadata in Adobe applications is based on XMP. File name and basic meetadata that are intrinsic to the file such as frame size, frame rate, etc. will come across, but other metadata (such as temporal metadata from Prelude) I don't think would come across.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:22:20 pm
Last Edited By Richard Herd on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:24:18 pm

I am also on CS6 (because the accounting department requires software to be "capital." I will continue to argue for CC). So is DL, which means Bridge (or automator) are useful.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 27, 2014 at 12:32:38 pm

I have to say that I prefer the approach Darren outlined, mostly because I use a lot of ClipWrap, and I do that for two reasons.

1) Makes skimming through clips in an AVCHD on the Finder level far more manageable. The QuickTime interface for AVCHD folder structures is very poor. It's fine as it is, but the simple fact that you have to start from the beginning to go through clips every single time is really bad from a time-management perspective. So it's nice having a straight up listing of QuickTime files that one can easily parse through.

2) As far as I know, FCPX still cannot correctly interpret 30p footage from a Canon C100 (it's 60i with 2:2 pulldown applied but the flag for the pulldown is wrong or something). I do a lot of 30p work, so this makes sure I don't get any interlacing.

So ClipWrap the AVCHD archive, then use the Better Finder Renamer. I totally sympathize with the annoyance of 0001, 0002, and so on naming convention of this format.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:34:52 pm

AVCHD is not a great format for professional work. I don't like the duplicity either.

That being said, I always try to minimize disaster recovery. I haven't been seeing problems with using just FCPX, especially with the much better relinking that 10.1.2 introduced (simply select the top most level of footage and let FCPX do the rest).

You can always choose to transcode using FCPX, or not, and that process is very easy. Instead of having to go back to Prelude (or ClipWrap, or whatever) and make a new subset of media based off of the original camera media, just re-import the footage to FCPX and transcode whenever you need to (now or later).

Final Cut now organizes clips in a folder based on the camera metadata date (just like it used to with the files) so the Finder is more organized by date. I prefer to have my file names match the original clip media, as I can always find my way back. I realize that this may not be a popular option, but I found when FCPX renamed the original media, it was harder to go and find the camera original media if needed.

Also, FCPX (or the OS) seems to track the files. So, if you choose to import the AVCHD AND transcode, then trash the original media, X will still link to the optimized. When you choose to move those optimized files, X will still link to them.

But wait, there's more!

If you change the file name in the Finder, move the files out of the date structure, X will still keep the files linked.

I find X's system, to be a very solid system, but it may not work for everyone.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Aug 27, 2014 at 7:24:33 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Final Cut now organizes clips in a folder based on the camera metadata date (just like it used to with the files) so the Finder is more organized by date. I prefer to have my file names match the original clip media, as I can always find my way back. I realize that this may not be a popular option, but I found when FCPX renamed the original media, it was harder to go and find the camera original media if needed."

I definitely see how the new structure is useful for some people. Sl there should be a preference item to allow either. But, imagine yourself in my place having to relink a project that you finished years ago that might have media in 100 different folders. Each of them with identical names... Clip #1, Clip #2, etc. How would you know which clip is which? Unique names just make a whole hell of a lot of sense.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 27, 2014 at 7:55:14 pm

[Brett Sherman] "Each of them with identical names... Clip #1, Clip #2, etc. How would you know which clip is which? "

X's relinking is much smarter than it used to be.

Also, if you use X to import avchd, the reel name becomes the name of the folder you imported from (like fcp7) so if all hell has truly broken loose, you may have a guide.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 27, 2014 at 3:43:34 pm

[Gary Huff] "2) As far as I know, FCPX still cannot correctly interpret 30p footage from a Canon C100 (it's 60i with 2:2 pulldown applied but the flag for the pulldown is wrong or something). I do a lot of 30p work, so this makes sure I don't get any interlacing."

FCPX has field dominance overrides if this is a problem.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Aug 27, 2014 at 5:49:05 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "FCPX has field dominance overrides if this is a problem."

Yeah, but I prefer my workflow to be as fool-proof as possible. Any setting that can be toggled on and off that can make a huge difference in the quality of footage does not sit well with me.

Would rather process it in ClipWrap and not worry about it, then miss out on a clip or two or suddenly find out that the override has become deactivated for some reason.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Aug 28, 2014 at 10:31:26 pm

I just don't understand why Sony, Canon, Panasonic and others I may be forgetting don't make this easier.

All the hoop jumping just trying to find the current plugin in order to play the footage is such a pain.

The weird naming choices, all the extra text files that come along for the ride, all the weird things you have to remember as not to screw everything up on import, so overly complicated.

Working with Blackmagic or Alexa prores files is a dream. All the metadata comes through embedded into the clip file, no muss no fuss.

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Sep 13, 2014 at 2:47:03 pm

Hi Brett / others - did you get a solution to rename AVCHD files at Finder level on FCP X import?

I tried using Prelude which imports, renames and encodes but the resulting mpeg2 file won't import to FCP X!

I need unique filenames that are the same in Finder as in FCP X so that when we encode compressed preview mp4s for clients to advise edit choices, the filenames are consistent.

Mark Slocombe
http://www.creationvideo.com
London, England

Return to posts index

Brett Sherman
on Sep 15, 2014 at 2:07:20 pm

I have not found a solution. Just going along with the way FCP X does it at the moment and hope I don't get bit in the future with a difficult relink.

Are you transcoding in Prelude? Or is it the camera native format? And what camera?

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 15, 2014 at 3:33:24 pm

[Mark Slocombe] "Hi Brett / others - did you get a solution to rename AVCHD files at Finder level on FCP X import? "

FCPX/Quicktime/OSX can open MTS and M2TS files natively. I should say, it will open most files, you have to be careful of the audio format which may be why FCPX isn't importing your Preluded files.

If you want to rename files on the Finder level, you will have to reach in to the AVCHD package, drag the mts files out of it, rename them, and then import to FCPX.

At this point, they are stand alone files. You can then use FCPX to optimize (or not).

This destroys the AVCHD file structure, so be sure that this is what you want to do. And test with a duplicate set of media at first.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Sep 15, 2014 at 3:37:40 pm

Cheers Jeremy - I'll try that.

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
FCP X File naming on AVCHD import
on Sep 30, 2014 at 4:41:15 pm

I have an updated fairly easy workflow solution - any thoughts? :

1. FCP X import Canon files from card > file names are Clip #1 etc
2. Go to imported files in FCP X library > Original Media
3. Use Better Rename to rename them ( and lose the hashtag if you want to process copies through eg Episode with BITC)
4. Back in FCP X, Trash the imported files in the FCP X event just created
5. Drag the newly renamed files into the event

Now file shave sensible descriptive names and clients using the BITC viewing copies (mp4s) will advise edit points using files with the same names as those in FCP X - just as before.

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: FCP X File naming on AVCHD import
on Sep 30, 2014 at 6:07:44 pm

[Mark Slocombe] "I have an updated fairly easy workflow solution - any thoughts? :

1. FCP X import Canon files from card > file names are Clip #1 etc
2. Go to imported files in FCP X library > Original Media
3. Use Better Rename to rename them ( and lose the hashtag if you want to process copies through eg Episode with BITC)
4. Back in FCP X, Trash the imported files in the FCP X event just created
5. Drag the newly renamed files into the event

Now file shave sensible descriptive names and clients using the BITC viewing copies (mp4s) will advise edit points using files with the same names as those in FCP X - just as before."

That sounds sensible. It really depends on what you need to do, and this method seems like it will work. Thinking further to disaster recovery, let's say you lose all of your re-imported and re-named clips. You would have to do all of this over again, and be able to get your Library back to where it was pre-disaster.

Would you be able to recreate your Library from scratch this way?

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mark Slocombe
on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:49:16 pm

Good point re disaster- all our media and FCP x libraries are on mirrored Raid drives with a daily backup to Drobos and also to Amazon Glacier storage ... So I'm hoping we could recover fully using one or all of those 3 options.

Mark Slocombe
London, England

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Sep 30, 2014 at 8:53:13 pm

[Mark Slocombe] "Good point re disaster- all our media and FCP x libraries are on mirrored Raid drives with a daily backup to Drobos and also to Amazon Glacier storage ... So I'm hoping we could recover fully using one or all of those 3 options."

But you have to walk the workflow back to reimporting, renaming, and relinking.

I would test the workflow to make sure that you follow it all the way through.

Import the AVCHD, rename the AVCHD, reimport the AVCHD, now delete the renamed media and see if you can restore the Library back to what it was.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]