<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Apple Talk!
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:26:47 am

http://www.apple.com/finalcutpro/faq/

Nothing much new here but at least it's straight from the Horses mouth

Steve Connor
Adrenalin Television

Have you tried "Search Posts"? Enlightenment may be there.

Return to posts index

Stephen Galinsky
Re: Apple Talk!
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:32:01 am

Booo, my post is in moderation so you beat me to it :P

But yeah, I agree with your assessment.

--
Ed it.

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:48:09 am

I think that clearly answers pretty much every grave, heart stopping, business ending, I'm defecting, not professional, iMovie pro, how do I export?, how do I capture?, what about sound, open old projects, concern raised in the wild, frenzied, crazed, wild dog, rabid, uptight, passionate, heartfelt comment, discusion and debate raised in the past week.

David

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:06:23 am

Really? Are you sure it does? What exactly has changed after that press release? Aren't they saying basically the same kind of deflecting defense of the app that they were to pogue? And why in the hell didn't they say they were restoring FCS 7 to the sales channel for even twelve months? As actually truly nearly everyone agrees, that one action would go a long way to mitigating the problems caused by the release of this software. The worst of it is - this is all we're getting - essentially a restatement of their position. All the heat and light we generated in debate got us a pat press release. Not one person from apple will stand up and answer questions.

http://bit.ly/jIUH2N

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:54:21 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "The worst of it is - this is all we're getting - essentially a restatement of their position."

It's an official statement on their website and it answers a lot of questions people have had in the past week.

Did you expect Steve Jobs to hold a press conference?

David

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:20:17 am

I enjoy every one of your posts David. Thanks for sticking around.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
----------------------------
FCP Editor/Trainer/System Consultant
EVS/VT Supervisor for live broadcast
RED camera transfer/post
Independent Director/Producer

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/community/communitydetails/?UserStoryId=87...

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:45:59 pm

[David Battistella] "I think that clearly answers pretty much every grave, heart stopping, business ending, I'm defecting, not professional, iMovie pro, how do I export?, how do I capture?, what about sound, open old projects, concern raised in the wild, frenzied, crazed, wild dog, rabid, uptight, passionate, heartfelt comment, discusion and debate raised in the past week."

Maybe I missed the part where they talked about what those that want an upgrade path, or to buy more licenses for FCS3 are supposed to do.
If you can give me a link, I'd like to have a look at that.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Tomislav Rupic
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:52:01 am

well, I am much more optimistic now, it just might end up being great
software after all... more I work in it more I like it but without XML its no go...

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:56:01 am

I think many people will begin to share your opinion when the get over the way it looks and get into the way it performs.
People love to gripe

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:44:04 pm

[David Battistella] "I think many people will begin to share your opinion when the get over the way it looks and get into the way it performs.
People love to gripe"

Do you work for Apple n any capacity? Do you receive a paycheck from them in any capacity? Very curious...

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:57:43 pm

[Jamie Franklin] "Do you work for Apple n any capacity?"

No. I have never worked for Apple.

[Jamie Franklin] "Do you receive a paycheck from them in any capacity?"

No. I do not receive a paycheck from them in any capacity.

I know you've been reading my stuff and you might not like my opnion, but I respect yours. I sense you feel that Apple somehow cheated you. I don't feel that way at all. I feel like they are trying to take things to the next level.

I hope this satisfies your curiosity.

David

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 4:51:23 pm

[David Battistella] " I sense you feel that Apple somehow cheated you"

Please. You keep inferring that we just don't get it and that we are gripers...

My objetction to THAT should be the only sense of what you should take from my responses. Literally, you have done nothing more here than patronize those you say you have "respect" for. When you have been continually corrected that just "not getting it" or simply "griping" about the stench of issues has never been the case...don't worry, we "get it" and a lot of us don't like what "we got"...hope that satifies the real reasons behind the reponse to your "opinions"...

Cheers

Return to posts index

David Battistella
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:46:15 pm

OK.

Jamie.

What do you need from me?

I can't quite figure out why you need to get personal.

David

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:11:21 pm

Hi Jamie

What exactly makes you feel you have any right to level accusations like this at someone? Would you do it to David's face?

[Jamie Franklin] "Do you work for Apple n any capacity? Do you receive a paycheck from them in any capacity? Very curious..."

Your views may be strong - and to you they may be valid. I've known David (an extremely polite and helpful guy) on forums for many years. He's very far from an Apple apologist.

Discussions on this forum have reached rock bottom when anyone liking X is on Apple's paycheck. It's also the response of someone who has nothing rational to say - which I suspect does you a disservice. You would serve your views better by expressing them, rather than throwing around baseless accusations. And no - so you are clear - I do not work for Apple.

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:18:29 pm

White noise Ben. When I am constantly reading that the opinions here come from those that "fear change" and should be lumped together into some unhinged camp of old timers, or are simply "griping" or are just "not getting it" in a constant drum beat that has been corrected over and over and over and over and over and over with *specifics*, and *rational* problems that have created such a stench Apple has had proxies and themselves roll out PR to push back and replaced the prokit updaters...

I make no apology for leveling the charge in the face of this hyper-patronizing response that just won't quit by some. This isn't fear. This isn't "griping" and I'm sorry to break this to you, but I think a lot of us here..."get it"...if you think my reponse is classless, I take exception to that when the first line of patronizing attacks were, and continue to be, classless. I have asked we pick this up a little here to no avail....

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 29, 2011 at 2:41:28 pm

Let me set my glass of KoolAid down long enough to respond. For those of you that don't speak "Apple" fluently, you have to read their words very carefully. Multicam won't be coming in an upgrade... It won't be here until the next "major" release. When the hell is that? Is it a year... Less... More? And just so you know, "major" releases are "paid" releases according to the program they outlined on the Mac Store before FCPX was released...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.
mitch@insightproductions.com
http://www.insightproductions.com

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:18:02 am

[Steve Connor] "Nothing much new here"

Nothing new?

"Final Cut Pro 7 will work with Mac OS X Lion". WOW.

"Does Final Cut Pro X support multicam editing?
Not yet, but it will. Multicam editing is an important and popular feature, and we will provide great multicam support in the next major release." OK.

"Developers can also build 64-bit FxPlug 2 plug-ins for Motion 5, and integrate those plug-ins into templates that can be used in Final Cut Pro X. These templates, together with any associated FxPlug 2 plug-ins, will work in Final Cut Pro X even if Motion is not installed on the computer." GOOD. OH, AND I SEE GENARTS ARE RELEASING PLUGINS FOR X, AND THERE WILL BE A FREE UPDATE FOR MAGIC BULLET LOOKS ON X.

"Can Final Cut Pro X export XML?
Not yet, but we know how important XML export is to our developers and our users, and we expect to add this functionality to Final Cut Pro X. We will release a set of APIs in the next few weeks so that third-party developers can access the next-generation XML in Final Cut Pro X." PHEW.

"When the APIs for XML export are available, third-party developers will be able to create tools to support OMF, AAF, EDL, and other exchange formats". MAKES SENSE.

"Does Final Cut Pro X allow you to assign audio tracks for export?
Not yet. An update this summer will allow you to use metadata tags to categorize your audio clips by type and export them directly from Final Cut Pro X." SOUNDS INTERESTING. And a lot like some sensible suggestions on this forum.

Oh - and finally:

"Can I purchase a volume license?
Final Cut Pro X, Motion 5, and Compressor 4 Commercial and Education Volume Licensing will be available soon via the Apple Online Store for quantities of 20 or more. After purchasing, customers will receive redemption codes they can use to download the applications from the Mac App Store." OH - I WAS ABOUT TO WRITE ANOTHER RANT ABOUT TIHS ON....

One more clarification from me personally:

"I hear on the COW FCPX projects won't be read on an ethernet SAN?
Not true - it took my SAN vendor about 5 minutes and a couple of lines of code to get this working". OH - OK.

But I guess these, and other clarifications about project sharing and so forth will not be enough for some people. There are certainly things in there to bother people - Apple have definitely decided to leave some things, like tape capture, to third parties from now on. If you can afford to buy or rent an HDCAM deck, my guess is you won't mind. I think the media management needs urgent updating - it still looks inflexible to me, and moving projects out of the event folder to hide them is a massive kludge. But do you think this will be hard to fix? Not really. Sure - they SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS THE FIRST TIME. I get it.

Incidentally, I've heard much the same about an SDK and APIs from my vendors - they are keen to work with Apple (and that includes those working on products with AVID and ADOBE, since previous Apple APIs have made third party integration much easier than (especially) AVID. If Apple knows one thing, it knows developers (even if it's occasionally heavy-handed). In all cases, Apple has said "APIs are coming".

Now - we can all agree Apple's PR was awful, and they handled this terribly. I still believe they should have continued to sell FCS3 (I just bought a couple of licenses to see me through on legacy work and existing broadcast projects), but can we now get back to reality with X? You may not like the paradigm, but surely we can put to bed the 'Apple hates Pros' meme? Some people need to get past that 'import from iMovie' menu item (another PR disaster) and look again.

X will NEVER suit everybody. It may not suit anyone who doesn't have the time or inclination to look at another paradigm. You may look at the paradigm and hate it. No worries - I get you. I haven't decided yet - I've been hard at work most of the week, and have only just started learning X. But PLEASE - stop the personal attacks on the designer, and keep it civil. I don't think much of what has been said here is fair or respectful. Would you have said the same to their face? I doubt it. This FAQ appears to show that in many cases, people were flat out wrong as well.

Best wishes to everyone on the COW, whatever side of the argument you are on.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

Paul Jay
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:45:47 am

Appel says Native XDCAM?

So i can import MXF files into FCPX?

Doesn't work. XDCAM Quicktimes are NOT native. Apple loves the word NATIVE, when it's not.

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 29, 2011 at 10:04:30 am

[Paul Jay] "XDCAM Quicktimes are NOT native. Apple loves the word NATIVE, when it's not"

The codec is native. The wrapper is not. Native MXFs are not nice to work with on PPro in my experience. What's the issue with re-wrapping? Copying the media I guess...

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

john spirou
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:02:06 am

Exactly , different wrapper... its not transcoded.
Same with dslrs... no problem.

Return to posts index

Greg Jones
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:11:40 am

That's a great FAQ and all. It's still a deal breaker for me that I can't and won't be able to import my Final Cut 7 Projects. I'm going to stick with Final Cut 7 and when the time comes that Final Cut 7 doesn't work for me anymore I'll turn to whatever software will be able to open my old projects.(I can even open my FCP projects in Adobe Premiere!) For a 'Revolutionary' piece of software, Apple was pretty shortsighted to not include this functionality in Final Cut Pro X or as I like to call it Final Cut Express X.

Greg Jones
D7,Inc.
Orlando,FL.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Greg Jones
Orlando,Fl.
http://www.d7-inc.com

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:07:50 pm

Did anyone besides me notice they said EXPORT XML? Guess it's not going import XML? Seemed to be rather carefully worded.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Ben Holmes
on Jun 29, 2011 at 1:45:35 pm

[Marvin Holdman] "Did anyone besides me notice they said EXPORT XML? Guess it's not going import XML? Seemed to be rather carefully worded."

Interesting observation. I'm guessing this is because it's the bigger of the two complaints - or because XML import will always be more tricky in X. This makes it more likely someone would offer limited XML import via a third party plugin like Automatic Duck. Also - I'd note the code found in FCPX that suggests they're working on (or have worked on) XML import.

I don't, personally, have a problem with a la carte delivery of things like OMF export. I've never used OMF. I do however need to see limited XML import in order to trial X commercially. I think it'll take a few months, maybe less to see some beta tools available. That's clearly a guess - not based on any inside information I might happen to have.

Ben

Edit Out Ltd
RED camera transfer/post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]