FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to go from here... Avid or Adobe ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Anders Haavie
Where to go from here... Avid or Adobe ?
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:08:51 am

Any thoughts ? Any comparative papers from a fcp editors perspective ?

Anders

Xraid-Xserve-Xsan-Xeverything

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
Re: Where to go from here... Avid or Adobe ?
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:03:04 am

Wait.

Unless FCP 7 is actually not delivering what you need now and for the next 6-12 months.

I would rationally see if Apple gets its act together over 6-12mths time first before jumping ship.

Then, if Apple don't deliver...make your choice.

I would pick Adobe to just be across, probably an easier transition for FCP users.

Let's hope we don't have to make that choice.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Peter Blumenstock
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:48:31 am

Take a step back, look at Apple and how they deal with their customers and then read this regarding Adobe:
http://jefferyharrell.tumblr.com/post/7022691098/a-story-as-yet-untold

Now, regardless of what happens with FCP X (not much if you ask me), you can decide how you want to be treated and whom you give your money.

Return to posts index

Dean Neal
on Jun 29, 2011 at 9:02:44 am

"Apple is a visionary company, and they’re in the privileged position of being right nearly all the time.

Adobe is, for all its girth in other verticals, hungry in the post industry. They’re not content to fight for third in the NLE market. They’ve got their eyes on first place. And they’re acutely aware that they don’t have what it takes to get there yet."

...and that's why they are on the dial-a-buddy trail. Good luck to them.

Dean Neal...

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:02:19 am

Tell ya what...FCP 7 is still a great tool and I use it every day. I'll probably buy and learn FCP X eventually. For what it is, it looks like it could have it's uses and will hopefully get better.

I've had PP for a while as it's in the production premium package( I bought for After Effects and Photoshop mainly) and have played around with it. Seems to have potential. I'm going to put forth an effort to learn it better now.

I bought Avid MC 5.5 recently using their cross-grade promotion. The boxed bundle is usually around $2500 but w/ the promotion I got it for $995! And with 3rd party software like Sonicfire Pro and Sorenson Squeeze that would cost just about $900 alone included in the bundle, that's a scree in deal! It's very daunting but I will learn that in the coming months too. Heck, Avid is kinda ubiquitous in Hollywood and other big markets so it's good to know it!

The bottom line is that I'm learning now that it's a damn good idea to learn the big apps for our trade and be prepared fir all eventualities. If tour find that one of your tools helps you do your best work, use that as often as you want. But know more than one system and you have options.

Videoguys.com still has that Avid promo available till the end of June and they have an Adobe deal as well. Now would be a good time to pick em both up and get busy! If you can't afford it, borrow some dough and go. You can get both, full suites, for around $1800.

Just my 2 cents!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

Tony Brittan
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:05:03 am

Sorry about the typos and stuff...typing on an iPad!

Tony Brittan
Island Shore Productions

Return to posts index

olof ekbergh
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:44:19 am

I would take a look at M100. http://www.media100.com/

They have a 15 day free trial.

It is easy fast and powerful.

Olof Ekbergh

Return to posts index

Stephen Bakopanos
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:19:31 pm

I'd wait.

FCP7 does a pretty good job, so there's no reason to go running away from it right now.

Give Apple a bit of time to right the wrongs they've made with this launch product - with XML, OMF, EDL and Multicam FCPX will be a pretty solid package.

In the meantime, use any downtime to acquaint yourself with the new workflow of FCP X.

If you're DETERMINED to switch however, Adobe would be my bet. It's quite similar to FCP7 and you can easily remap the keyboard shortcuts to match those of FCP. Most of the industry already have it installed on their machines as part of Creative Suite, so I reckon it will be the most popular choice.

But again, I'd hold out to see what happens with FCP X.

Return to posts index

Gary Bettan
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:36:14 pm

We're running both the Avid $995 & Adobe $799 crossgrade promotions thought the July 4th holiday weekend. We've also got an evenbettter deal - buy both crossgrades for $1,674!!

For more info check out this article on our blog
FCPX got you down? Videoguys' Options for Final Cut Editors

Gary

COW members get 5% OFF with Coupon COW5OFF

http://www.videoguys.com 800 323-2325 | We are the video editing and production experts!

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Jun 29, 2011 at 8:03:38 pm

I apologize if this sounds a bit stern but in the spirit of these forums I thought direct sales pitches were to be avoided. The beauty of the Cow is to be able to discuss and debate and not to be sales pitched. If I am mistaken then please forgive.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 29, 2011 at 12:22:36 pm

I edit on all three (four now.) I teach all four.

Each tool has it's warts. Find something that is crucial for your workflow and you'll know what tool to pick.

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Mark D'Agostino
on Jun 29, 2011 at 3:16:38 pm

Jeff,

Your reply is short, to the point and the best yet. We all need to vent on this for sure, (I've done a lot offline), but once we catch our collective breaths we'll do like we did when D-vision tanked, when Media100 first bailed, when 844/X proved to be a short term joke... hike up our pants and figure out the next workflow that does what we need. FCP7 is still solid and there's not hurry to jump ship for a bit. We'll be taking the next few months to carefully assess the next step, try a couple things and move on.

Mark D'Agostino
http://www.synergeticproductions.com

Return to posts index

Chee Wee Tan
on Jun 29, 2011 at 5:04:08 pm

Was trying Premier Pro, cannot even play the timeline!! It will stop after 12frames or so, by itself! You have to do all sort of setting to your mac to get it to work, I still can't get it to work. So I think I'll stick with FCP 7 for now.

Budget always not enuff.
http://www.dogbonepost.com

Return to posts index

Jeff Greenberg
on Jun 29, 2011 at 11:12:30 pm

Chee,

It's a bug. Here's the fix

Best,

Jeff G

Apple Master Trainer | Avid Cert. Instructor DS/MC | Adobe Cert. Instructor
------------
You should follow me (filmgeek) on twitter. I promise to be nice.
New- my book (with Richard Harrington and Robbie Carman)- An Editor's Guide to Adobe Premiere Pro
Compressor Essentials from Lynda.com
(older but still good) Marquee, Media Composer (3.5) and Basic/Advanced Color DVDs (1.0) from Vasst.com
Contact me through my Website

Return to posts index

Chee Wee Tan
on Jul 1, 2011 at 4:32:57 am

Tried but still the same result.

Sorry, this probably not the forum to ask but "How can such a bug even exist for such any important function as playing a timeline? Is it Adobe or Apple's bug?"

Budget always not enuff.
http://www.dogbonepost.com

Return to posts index

aaron shadwell
on Jul 10, 2011 at 8:13:36 am

hey all-

yes i was looking forward to FCPX but wow that things seem to be a mess.

Ive been on avid mc5 for about 18moths and after a year of Adobe PP killing me with 4-5 major crashes per day I have had a great time with avid and look forward to MC5.5

please let me add this...these are changing time and I know how mental that can feel. Do great work and be ready to learn and I think you will land on your feet! best of luck!

thanks for reading!!!
check out my rock band

shadwellmusic.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]