FORUMS: list search recent posts

Premiere Pro reaches a milestone

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Robert d'Alexis
Premiere Pro reaches a milestone
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:46:44 am

and takes NVidia along for the ride. :-)
http://www.studiodaily.com/2014/08/inside-gone-girls-6k-review-and-editoria...

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
Re: Premiere Pro reaches a milestone
on Aug 14, 2014 at 6:25:26 am

They were using some beef HP towers!

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Aug 14, 2014 at 1:14:57 pm

Yes, you might say that. :-)
And yet, the next generation of workstations will be even beefier: dual 18 core Xeon, 1 TB of DDR4 RAM, new Quadro cards, etc.
Enough to make one salivate at the prospect of using such a beast of a machine.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:15:56 pm

That sure is some beef.

For 2.5k ProRes @ 1080, you could edit on an iMac.

But then it wouldn't be an nvidia case study.

:-(

:-|

:-)

Return to posts index

Robert d'Alexis
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:20:41 pm

Point taken. :-)

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:48:58 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "
For 2.5k ProRes @ 1080, you could edit on an iMac."

Sure, but there were also the DPX sequences for VFX work... I assume those were 10bit? Maybe that's what the beefy machines were for.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 14, 2014 at 5:06:31 pm

[Shawn Miller] "Sure, but there were also the DPX sequences for VFX work... I assume those were 10bit? Maybe that's what the beefy machines were for."

But of course.

That, and the 6k 4cam multicam.

I bet editorial was relegated to the 2011 MacPros. :)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Aug 14, 2014 at 9:00:22 pm

The DPX files were probably 16bit at the very last considering the R3D files are 12bits

Michael

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Aug 14, 2014 at 9:36:30 pm

[Michael Phillips] "The DPX files were probably 16bit at the very last considering the R3D files are 12bits

Michael"

Yup, completely possible. I would be curious to know what those VFX shots were, and what their pipline/workflow was. Was this a Maya/Nuke/Houdini/AE show with Pr as the hub... or maybe a Modo/Fusion/Ae/Mocha show, again with Pr as the hub. Would really like to see some BTS stuff on this.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:20:45 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "That, and the 6k 4cam multicam.
I bet editorial was relegated to the 2011 MacPros. :)"

The NVIDIA case study says that, but I suspect multi-cam editing was only done using the 2.5K Proxy files. Not really that demanding on those machines and those cards. And yes, I'm sure the 2 Macs were used for editing - probably as an editor preference.

If you read any of the past articles about workflows for "Zodiac", "Benjamin Button", "Social Network" and "Dragon Tattoo", the in-house editorial operations have always been very specific to their working style. The last two have been RED jobs, where a lot of the prep work used After Effects prior to the edit. My guess is that all the brawn was applied to pre-editorial and post editorial (conforming) tasks, requiring fast throughput and debayering of RED files, without the use of Red Rocket cards.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 15, 2014 at 2:20:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "The NVIDIA case study says that, but I suspect multi-cam editing was only done using the 2.5K Proxy files."

So you are saying the article is lying?

"The Quadro-based workflow also supported up to four streams of 6K multi-camera playback with repositioning, stabilization and color-correction happening in real time, Nvidia said, and also allowed real-time downscaling of 6K footage to 4K."

If this was done with ProRes files, then why would anyone care when this could be done "with an iMac" and a reasonable thunderbolt drive?

Why would I want to spend all the money on an Nvidia card if it couldn't do all of the above without the ProRes files?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 15, 2014 at 2:59:04 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "So you are saying the article is lying?"

No. The reason I say that, is the article refers to the sources as 6K, even when they are talking about editorial files, which were down-rezzed proxies. Multicam would only be done in the edit, which would be using the proxies. Remember in this workflow, the R3Ds are turned into DPX and Proxy. No one's actually editing with the native R3D files.

[Jeremy Garchow] "If this was done with ProRes files, then why would anyone care when this could be done "with an iMac" and a reasonable thunderbolt drive?"

The workflow is largely talking about the work being done by the assistant's team to prep files for the editor, VFX and later conforms/DI. It's my understanding that in the past, they have used quite a lot of stabilization of camera files as SOP, using SynthEyes and AE. I'm sure this is the same. Remember, they are extracting a center cut and then also creating down-rezzed proxies from the center cut for editorial.

[Jeremy Garchow] "Why would I want to spend all the money on an Nvidia card if it couldn't do all of the above without the ProRes files?"

So that you don't spend it on a bunch of single-purpose Red Rocket cards instead.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 15, 2014 at 3:23:41 pm

...and people say Apple marketing is 'clever'!

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:35:11 am

I am guessing not.

Tim

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 28, 2014 at 1:28:21 am

Some more detailed information from the tech guru behind this film:

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/51328184