FORUMS: list search recent posts

OTish: Turn out the lights...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Scott Witthaus
OTish: Turn out the lights...
on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:26:52 pm

It was going to happen sooner or later and today I hit the "delete button".

At the school where I teach visual storytelling, that includes scripting, storyboards, shoot, edit, sound design, etc., we have deleted FCS Legacy from all 21 edit stations. Actually it was my IT guy that did it, but I had to authorize. I realized that we have been on X long enough that no returning students will know Legacy and very more than likely no incoming students will know about it. Final Cut Pro to them is X, not Legacy. So it's X and CS6 that are left standing. FCP7 and Avid, please turn out the lights as you leave....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: OTish: Turn out the lights...
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:29:36 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "and very more than likely no incoming students will know about it. "

True. It may go even further than jut FCP 7 at some point. I saw a post recently from a guy who had learned to edit on FCP X, and was watching some MC training vids. He wanted to know what "patching tracks" meant. Like, didn't even understand the concept, and when explained, wondered why you'd need to do such a thing. I suspect more questions like that will appear in the future. ;-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:34:49 pm

[Charlie Austin] "wondered why you'd need to do such a thing."

Answer:
"Because that's how we do things. Now shutup."

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 13, 2014 at 6:56:53 pm

[Bill Davis] "[Charlie Austin] "wondered why you'd need to do such a thing."

Answer:
"Because that's how we do things. Now shutup.""

Make me! :-)

Alright, serious side of me:
I turned out the lights on the very thought of even thinking of about subscribing to Adobe CC and for that matter bolted the door shut. It has nothing to do with outages or things as such but more on principal and the expensive cost over the long term.

As far as playing "Track Tetris" (a very addictive game) I prefer the trackless method though part of me says tracks please. With more efficient editing in a trackless environment I am somewhat surprised that others have not followed in the same tracks (pardon the pun).

I see FCP X getting developed more, and hope Motion can be a serious contender against After Effects, in same ways it is. Please add the ability to use expressions and I want Trapcode Particular to be supported, please.

Dealing with groups is much more efficient and fun compared to a pre-comp, those can get in the way. In fact I will even turn out the lights on a tack matte as an image mask is much more flexible and powerful then its AE cousin. Place it anywhere I like, in its own group or wherever I wish. Can even use a video clip, find the frame I want and use only that frame for the length I need it to be.

My two cents, whatever it is worth.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 13, 2014 at 8:13:50 pm

Not surprised, though the longer FCP7 hangs onto life the more weird the transition becomes. For example, in Los Angeles there is still a lot of FCP7 work but it can't really recommend learning FCP7 because that knowledge will have a short shelf life compared to X, PPro or Avid MC. Odd gray zone FCP7 exists in these days.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Aug 13, 2014 at 8:50:33 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Odd gray zone FCP7 exists in these days."

My colleagues and I still use it almost exclusively day in day out because it's the only thing that completely matches our needs which are many and varied and very, and admittedly somewhat niche.

No doubt there will come a time when we won't be using it but that's not yet on the horizon.

That's not to say I don't use Media Composer and Premiere and FCP X and enjoy many things about all three ...

But I'm very surprised that we're still here working in Legacy after all this time - says a lot about how good it was.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 13, 2014 at 11:58:16 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "But I'm very surprised that we're still here working in Legacy after all this time - says a lot about how good it was.
"

Agreed. The very day we delete Legacy, I get another gig at a large agency shop using FCP7. It still is a great program, but reality comes into play looking forward.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on Aug 14, 2014 at 3:15:25 am

I got a call from a director I work with just today who told me he had a new mac pro and had deleted FCP7 off the last of his machines so as to force his move to CC. I've showed him X, but he wasn't too keen on it. He's not the real editing type, but he has to get into it every once in a while. Hell he probably won't even use PPro that much as he loves logging and rough cutting in Prelude. That makes my job easier for sure.

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 14, 2014 at 4:10:52 am

I'm more than done using Legacy for editing but I'll be keeping it on my machine for a while because it's still useful (and in some cases required) as a conduit between FCPX and other programs.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Aug 15, 2014 at 12:43:13 pm

I'm kind of surprised that it took that long. The school I taught at for 5-1/2 years switched quite awhile back...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 16, 2014 at 10:25:56 am

[Mitch Ives] "I'm kind of surprised that it took that long. The school I taught at for 5-1/2 years switched quite aw"

Well, as we know, X was a warm pile of "poo" when it was released so I waited, watched and learned the program. And you also know the old saying that "change in academia comes one funeral at a time...." ;-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]