FORUMS: list search recent posts

My FCP X and Resolve workflow

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
My FCP X and Resolve workflow
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:32:58 am

Just thought I would share my Resolve and FCP X workflow, please feel free to join in.

Since the footage will be mainly raw, I would start out in Resolve, piece together a rough cut, do some trimming and such. From there export out as same resolution as original media in ProRes codec, usually 422 HQ, to keep file size down. Would then add a Rec 709 LUT to all clips prior to exporting. During the organizing process would create folders in the media pool based on the context of the project.

When finished over to X for the real edit, much faster to edit in there as there are no tracks. Then would export XML, jump back into Resolve for color grading pointing back to the original raw files.

Based on finishing needs I would output final from Resolve or jump back into X, using custom generators, transitions, effects and titles from Motion along with Red Giant Universe then output final from there unless another codec was needed then back to Resolve as necessary.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: My FCP X and Resolve workflow
on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:07:35 pm

[David Mathis] "From there export out as same resolution as original media in ProRes codec, usually 422 HQ"

Is this REDCODE, Arri Raw, Canon Raw, or CinemaDNG?

How often do you use secondaries and power windows?

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:19:55 pm

Origin files are in the Cinema DNG format as the footage is shot in the raw format. Resolution is 2400 x1350 with frame rate at 24.

Depending on the look I am going for or more advanced correction power windows and secondaries with qualifier as needed will come into play. Custom curves are sometimes used.

With raw I usually grade from scratch unless a fast turnaround is needed in which case a LUT is applied.

Return to posts index

Noah Kadner
on Aug 9, 2014 at 11:32:00 pm

Got some Beta 11 specific notes on this: http://www.fcpworks.com/resolve-workflow-test-results/

Noah

FCPWORKS - FCPX Workflow
Call Box Training

Return to posts index

Rhett Murphy
on Aug 11, 2014 at 11:21:43 am

Assuming you're using dual system recording for audio and video: when and where are you syncing audio? I've been clinging to PluralEyes as a step one, but curious to hear what others are doing.

Rhett Murphy
REDWHOOSH PRODUCTIONS
BALTIMORE, MD

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 13, 2014 at 5:37:35 pm

I just went through a 10 min. short cutting and finishing in FCP X with a roundtrip through Resolve 11 for color grading. This was double-system sound - RED 4K files and stereo WAVs from a Sound Devices unit. Synching was manual by slate, since there was no camera audio and no matching TC. I had the assistant embed the synced audio by using the "open in timeline" function for each clip, rather than using synchronized clips.

All was fine in the edit, but the audio in this roundtrip was completely wrong - both in R11 and then back in X. Not a big deal, as I could detach audio and copy & paste the sequence audio from the proxy edit sequence to the final. Disconcerting, though.

Possibly detaching audio before sending the FCPXML might fix the issue, but I haven't had a chance to test that yet.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 17, 2014 at 4:40:47 am

Oliver, does resolve handle other elements of Fcp x like compounds or clips created in their own timeline other than the problem with the embedded audio?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Aug 17, 2014 at 1:14:05 pm

[Craig Alan] "Oliver, does resolve handle other elements of Fcp x like compounds or clips created in their own timeline other than the problem with the embedded audio?"

I tracked this issue down to the fact that embedding the audio is much like a compound clip. It's not a Resolve problem per se, because the information didn't travel correctly through an XML to FCP 7 either. Even FCP X would not correctly match-frame the audio. However, it posed no problems during the actual edit. The solution turns out to be to "break clip items apart", which places the original audio clip on the timeline in its proper position.

I haven't thoroughly tested Resolve 11 with compounds, synchronized or multi-cam clips. In the past these have posed problems in general, so I avoid them, when I need to go outside of the application.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Sep 26, 2014 at 2:20:11 am

Oliver Ive been using the Auto Sync in FCPX with same resource clips as you state in your earlier posts.

Ive had great success using the Export XML option into Resolve 11.
However some issues occurred from Resolve to Avid MC using AAF Export.
Ive since figured out all the issues and Ive mentioned it in numerous posts across forums.

Now to my actual question, how are you connecting the FCPX Roundtrip files back to the original R3Ds within FCPX?
I do recall something about changing file types but I cant understand how that would work coming from Resolve to FCPX.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Sep 26, 2014 at 2:24:29 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Now to my actual question, how are you connecting the FCPX Roundtrip files back to the original R3Ds within FCPX?
I do recall something about changing file types but I cant understand how that would work coming from Resolve to FCPX."

There is no need to reconnect to the R3D files, since the Resolve-graded media is the final, not the R3D media.

1. Import R3D into FCP X and transcode proxies.
2. Edit with proxies in 1920x1080 timeline.
3. Switch to "original" and export FCPXML.
4. Import FCPXML into R11. It automatically links to R3D. Grade.
5. Deliver using the FCP Easy Set-up, which renders clips and exports FCPXML.
6. Import that FCPXML back into FCP X. You'll have a new sequence linked to the graded media.
7. Deal with audio.

The gotcha in this workflow is that spatial conform is incorrect. FCP X think it's still looking at a 4K file resized to 1080, so you end up with the need to render. If you set spatial conform to none, the baked 1080 files are blown up by 4x. It's probably an issue with how Resolve handles the XML info. It does correctly interpret any resizing done in FCP X using scale/position changes.

FWIW - I did a music video that was shot with RED cameras and used a ton of reframing in the timeline. It was cut in Premiere Pro. Resolve completely messed up the sizing info, so I ended up grading it in SpeedGrade CC instead.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]