FORUMS: list search recent posts

Cool "one take" video.

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Cool "one take" video.
on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:14:48 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:17:49 pm

Well, a bunch of one take shots anyway.Poster's description: "Edited in FCPX with lots of retiming. Filmed with 5DM3 mounted on a Defy G5." Really well done, regardless of the gear... There's a lot going on, worth a full screen look.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Cool "one take" video.
on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:34:48 pm

That was really cool!

Shawn

Return to posts index

Nick Toth
on Aug 8, 2014 at 4:01:34 pm

What gear this was done with is inconsequential compared to the idea and the amount of effort it must have taken to coordinate that whole thing. That's what really impressed me.

anickt

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 8, 2014 at 4:18:39 pm

[Nick Toth] "What gear this was done with is inconsequential compared to the idea and the amount of effort it must have taken to coordinate that whole thing. That's what really impressed me.
"

Completely agree. That took some serious choreography/storyboarding.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:57:17 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Aug 8, 2014 at 7:59:01 pm

I agree that was very well done and a true masterpiece.

Music was hypnotic saying, "Your eyes are getting heavy, relax, you are now under my control. You will love to learn to edit in FCP X, you will exist without tracks, editing will be fun."

Well, at least that is what it is telling me and yes, I am sober. :-)

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:25:33 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 8, 2014 at 8:35:26 pm

[David Mathis] "Music was hypnotic saying, "Your eyes are getting heavy, relax, you are now under my control. You will love to learn to edit in FCP X, you will exist without tracks, editing will be fun."

Well, at least that is what it is telling me"

Me too! FCP X is amazing!!!***

***Disclaimer: That was a tongue in cheek comment! Fact is, you could probably have cut this in iMovie

The amazing part is the planning and choreography that went into it. I wonder how many takes it took to do each shot? Yikes. Let's all pay homage to "Rope" (which I believe was edited with razor blades and sticky tape) for these types of things. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:02:35 pm

That's the BGI main campus in Denmark.

Looks like a boarding school that's a pretty decent place for someone sports oriented to get an education.

Particularly since while it's a private school, those pesky Danes have a voucher system that allows qualified students access and does NOT saddle them with student loans that they have to take 25 years to work off.

And overall Denmark gets pretty decent educational outcomes...

"The Education Index, published with the UN's Human Development Index in 2008, based on data from 2006, lists Denmark as 0.993, amongst the highest in the world, tied for first with Australia, Finland and New Zealand.[4]"

The US is ranked 21st.

And yes, they're learning to edit in FCP X.

Go figure.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:05:17 pm

[Bill Davis] "And yes, they're learning to edit in FCP X.

Go figure."

Umm... whoever made that video was not "learning to edit" regardless of what they edited it in.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 8, 2014 at 11:00:12 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Umm... whoever made that video was not "learning to edit" regardless of what they edited it in."

The production company was an outfit called GotFat Video.

Started up in 2008 apparently.

And you're right if your contention is that what makes the video isn't so much the editing (largely retiming and simple cuts on action) but rather the excellent planning, talent coordination and execution.

The real keys to great video - as it's always been, and ever will be.

The website notes it only too 4 "takes."

Very impressive.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:53:20 am

Simple cuts on action? I did see one person run through a hallway that was right in the middle of the dance floor. If you look at it there is the shot of the hallway tracked and matted onto a flat or possibly just a frame.

Also pretty impressive when the camera exits a doorway and starts riding a bike pretty seamlessly. It's impressive.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 9, 2014 at 2:16:26 am

[Bret Williams] "Simple cuts on action?"

Yeah, other than the way the end result makes it look... nothing really simple about this. Even the cuts on the cards are pretty much seamless.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 9, 2014 at 2:48:56 am

It is pretty slick. But the one effect I thought was some sort of tracking was just a doorway in a mirrored wall. Guess I don't don't hang out at dance studios much.

I think some if the perceived edits are choreography. Possibly a hand off of the camera through the window or to someone on a bike.

I wonder what the white cards are for? Could've tracked them and put titles on them or matted in the next scene. Maybe it didn't work out.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 9, 2014 at 4:42:26 am

[Bret Williams] "I think some if the perceived edits are choreography. Possibly a hand off of the camera through the window or to someone on a bike.

I wonder what the white cards are for? Could've tracked them and put titles on them or matted in the next scene. Maybe it didn't work out."

To me it seems like pretty much all choreography. Looks as if the only cuts are on the white cards, and one going through a window. All the other window pass throughs etc look like hand offs based on my careful analysis (watching it twice... lol) I like the white card gimmick, seems like it's intended, not a failed idea, but who knows?

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Aug 9, 2014 at 5:51:01 pm

yarp. you can even see the bike silhouette there on the last shot. also there were a couple of neat handoffs through windows as well, some were edits I reckon, but some looked pass the parcel. loved bananaman in pyjamas.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 9, 2014 at 5:13:20 am

[Bill Davis] "The website notes it only too 4 "takes."

Very impressive."

I think they meant 4 shots, as it looks like that's how many there are. I guess they could've rehearsed it enough so they only needed 1 take per shot. If so, even more impressive. :-)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 9, 2014 at 6:34:03 pm

[Charlie Austin] " think they meant 4 shots, as it looks like that's how many there are. I guess they could've rehearsed it enough so they only needed 1 take per shot. If so, even more impressive. :-)
"

Having directed a good bit, I just can't imagine having that many cued performers rehearse that much and working out all the shot to shot logistics - then doing any of the sections (or the whole thing if they attempted contiguous takes) - just ONCE.

It makes no sense.

"Great, fantastic, everyone go back to ONE and we'll re-rack and do it again." is, if nothing else, honoring the time that everyone put into preparation and allowing the participants to demonstrate and improve on their performances if that's possible.

I just can't fathom any reason for one take and "thats a wrap on section A"

Heck, I was once a voice talent in what I look back on as the "immaculate production" of a spec radio spot for Jack in the Box when their local ad agency was thinking about doing an "international fried food" menu test. Five talent in the voice booth. One guy doing a spanish accent for the rolled tacos, another with a chinese accent for the egg rolls, etc. I was the lead off and wrap up straight announcer. The first take was truly flawless. Everyone hit their parts pitch perfect and the studio timer said 59.5 seconds exactly.

There was a LONG pause from the producer and director behind the glass. They kept looking at each other, trying to figure out what to say. The other 4 talent and I were just making eye contact and silently congratulating each other with thumbs up and smiles since everyone had nailed those difficult dialect parts so well. Then, literally about a minute later. (A huge gap in how these things go) the director came up on talkback and said "That was great, lets do it again for a safety. And we did it 3 more times.

The point being that there's no point in NOT going again when you have the time and you're prepared and everybody is n place.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:17:26 am

I'm not so sure about 4 takes or shots. I think a lot of it is slight of hand.

You know the trick of pausing a shot, on say a two shot, having one person freeze and the other moves out of frame and then you cont. recording. It looks like the second person disappears.

Particularly with speed ramping it would be impossible to tell. Lots of scenes in which the camera pans across a wall or dollies down a hallway. Not hard to pause, then ready the next set of talent and then continue. The wall is not going to give itself away. Speed it up in post and there you go. There was no plot that required any given scene to have an exact action. Just action. Slow things down and things look more deliberate even when they are not. An outfielder drops a line drive. Slow it down and it looks like they caught the ball and threw it away. Speed things up and people look like super beings. Fight scenes are often sped up for that reason. Plus its easier to choreograph.

It all looked quite seamless and I do think some of that was very good editing.

Look at about 3:24 and tell me if you think that what follows is a jump cut or a speed change. Or both. hard to say.

Personally, if i wasn't curious as to how it was all done, I'd loose interest after about a minute or so. Like a set up for something that never arrives. But really well done just the same.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:48:08 am

[Craig Alan] "Look at about 3:24 and tell me if you think that what follows is a jump cut or a speed change. Or both. hard to say."

Since I seem to have way too much time one my hands, I grabbed a screen movie and stepped through some of the sections. I do believe it's 4 shots, no clue how many takes each shot took. The cuts are on the 3 white cards, and out the last window from hand held to the handlebar mounted camera. And that was really nicely done. But you can see the people in the shot change perspective a bit on the cut, and also the bike shadow, and since the bike didn't get passed through the window... ;-) All the other window shots are hand offs, you can see one of the operators in a couple frames where the cam goes through the cement opening before going up the staircase. All the other speed ramp have people flipping, dancing, visible through the door behind the indoor bicyclists etc. I don't think it's "Trip to the Moon" in-camera tricks. Great cutting to the music, great camera work (pulling exposure especially) but mostly just great planning. :-)

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:53:53 pm

I'm curious now. I'll try to download it and see if i have frame by frame control forward and back. If that was done in 4 shots continuous with reflections showing activity during the pans across concrete and so forth I'd be pretty impressed. Again I'd be more impressed if it was a shot that was part of a narrative of some sort. Imagine this as a chase scene or a desperate boy looking for the girl he just fell in love with.

How do you think the camera was mounted? Dolly, crane, steady cam...?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 10, 2014 at 7:31:34 pm

[Craig Alan] "How do you think the camera was mounted? Dolly, crane, steady cam...?"

It was mentioned in Charlie's original post.

They used the Defy G5 gimbaled mount.

That, of course doesn't mean it was always "walking hand held" - they could have used wheelchairs or other motion assist elements, as with the bicycle shots.

It's just cool that it was so engaging that it's kept our interest in discussing it for so long.

Props to the Danish crew - and lets hope this inspires our own US shooters to also keep pushing the boundaries of what can be accomplished at the level well below Hollywood.

More global competition for eyeballs at ALL levels. The new normal.

Return to posts index

tony west
on Aug 9, 2014 at 3:22:54 pm

Very cool, but how about a shout out to the videographer : )

It starts with great footage.

They handled the exposure well also from inside to outside.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Aug 10, 2014 at 10:43:11 pm

Good demo!

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]