FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 11 Release Available Now

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Lawrence
Resolve 11 Release Available Now
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:10:07 pm

The new NLE on the block is finally out of beta. Come and get it!

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Resolve 11 Release Available Now
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:14:21 pm

[David Lawrence] "The new NLE on the block is finally out of beta. Come and get it!"

It's a nice NLE If you like tracks. :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:20:47 pm

[Charlie Austin] "It's a nice NLE If you like tracks. :-)"

Not only that, Charlie. You can add asymmetrical dissolves... in a single key press! ;D

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:35:36 pm

[David Lawrence] "Not only that, Charlie. You can add asymmetrical dissolves... in a single key press! ;D"

:)

Steve Connor

Hoping to become a pedant

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:52:20 pm

This is good news, perhaps big news.

Think of the way cameras are no longer all-in-ones: you buy a box with a big sensor, various viewfinders and LCDs, rods, rigs, external recorders and glass.

Now, an editor might use FCPX for its metadata capabilities (as David Lawrence has so astutely noted), Premiere for its track editing, and maybe Resolve as a finishing, trimming NLE -- as well as grading tool.

Sure, Adobe offers its "suite" and Legacy FCP was part of a "studio."

But a la carte NLE combinations may well be the future for many!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:32:39 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "But a la carte NLE combinations may well be the future for many!."

Could be, though I feel like the the suites offered by Adobe (and formerly Apple w/FCS) have, potentially, smoother round tripping and clumsy round tripping with the a la care solutions (which have been around for a very long time) seems to be a constant complaint.

For example, using Dynamic Link between PPro and SpeedGrade gives the me grading workflow I've always wanted (the grade from SpeedGrade simply shows up as a filter on the media in PPro). If Adobe keeps refining the process and improving SpeedGrade then I might stop using Resolve. Of course on the flip side of Resolve becomes as good as an NLE as PPro then I might stop using PPro.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: solve 11 Release Available Now
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:07:01 pm

Go tracks! Go go go tracks! :-)

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:46:45 pm

But the LIte version is not out of beta is it?

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:51:34 pm

[Ron Priest] "But the LIte version is not out of beta is it?"

Yep, it's out of beta - Version 11.0.0

publicmattersgroup.com
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 4:58:21 pm

Hmmmm, I just looked in the Apple App Store this morning and 11 wasn't available so I went to Blackmagic's site and downloaded Lite, but it was a beta version. I'll take another look see.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:03:39 pm

Full non-Beta Lite version is definitely available. I've downloaded it already.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:26:25 pm

Yep, I see 11.0 Lite now at Blackmagic's site, they just switched it over this morning after I downloaded the beta version. I downloaded it again. Do I need to uninstall the beta version by just dragging it to the trashcan before installing the 11.0 version, anyone know?

I see 11.0 lite is still not available in the Mac App store though, I suppose it will take a few days.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:27:38 pm

No, you don't need to uninstall the Beta. Just run the new installer and it will replace your current version.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:31:42 pm

Okay, I just found the uninstall instructions, but its not necessary then. Thanks.

Removing DaVinci Resolve Software from Mac
To remove DaVinci Resolve from your system, double-click the Uninstall Resolve icon from the DaVinci Resolve folder in Applications.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:33:18 pm

Have you set up user accounts or anything with the Beta version?

It shouldn't really matter. Delete and install or just install overtop. You just can run 2 versions at the same time.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:54:03 pm

I did set up an initial account, but hadn't done anything in it.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Aug 6, 2014 at 5:56:26 pm

Well, if you install overtop, you can save yourself that 20 seconds.

The AppStore version is always a bit behind, and from what I've been told not the version you REALLY want to be on, cause it has restrictions that the one on the BM site doesn't.

Though I can't remember what those are.

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:16:48 pm

Restrictions .... I may need to uninstall my App Store version on my iMac then and not let the app store update it, and just download it from Blackmagic then. Thanks.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 6, 2014 at 6:58:49 pm

Oooh, shall we set up another "Resolve 11 or Not: The Debate" forum? At least that might clear some clutter from the X forums! Everyone dying for tracks can go have fun there! :-)

And, yes, I will be downloading the software!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Ron Priest
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:54:57 pm

Im not dying for tracks, Im perfectly fine editing in X, I just want to learn to use Resolves CC functionality.

Ron Priest
Videographer
Louisville, KY

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:46:06 am

Good luck with that. The version of Resolve on the app store is many many versions behind. They don't update Resolve on the app store but maybe once a year it seems. I would guess they may not put 11 on there. If they do, be assured it won't get updated promptly. The app store of 10 was also slightly different in that it wouldn't let you relink to certain volumes. I found others complained about the same issue and I went back to the up to date versions of Resolve on their own site. Ignore the app store for resolve.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 7, 2014 at 2:41:36 am

So they fixed it? It can playback without stuttering, clicking, choking and sounding like utter hell? Did they include any fx other than some star wipes and an audio dissolve?

I hear the color corrector is ok. :)

Is the audio mixer any smaller than a city block? Only my 27" it nearly fills the screen!

I kid. But it's all the truth. I mean, I'm kinda used to either bing able to incorporate motion in my timeline, or templates and fx and transitions based on motion. I'm also pretty used to all the generators that X (and generally any NLE) has. I need my pushes, my zooms, etc. And the number of motion based plugs and templates and mObjects and yikes, I think I'm committed to X now.

So far as I can see, if you want to edit with 11 it's good for the rough cut and color correction. Then you have to send your project to premiere or X to add, well, anything but cuts and dissolves.

I do love the focus on key framing and actual editing and trimming features, but just like X I found the key framing looked good in the video, but in reality it was just as hampered as X. (Maybe a little more in the copy/paste area.) Just looked cooler. Premiere still rules in this regard, but in any case I don't need that advanced key framing in my NLE.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 7, 2014 at 3:16:08 am

I agree. I find FCP X a rather good editor and very good finishing application. Perhaps the lines are a bit blury now. After all it is somewhat diificult to diiferienate between editing and finishing. I guess it all depends on who you ask and what their awnser or if you prefer, the definition is. After all X is very capable of many finishing tasks. Not sure about high-end but very close to it. At least that is my opinion. Right now most of the workflow will be done in FCP X with color grading done in Resolve though things could change. Guess it is a wait and see game for now. Time will tell.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 7, 2014 at 3:36:29 am

But you can't finish in resolve. That's never changed. You can round trip your edits, but graphics, audio, templates , fx, none of that comes across any more than xmling x to 7 or x to premiere or vice versa.

And by adding a very capable editor (but not a fully capable finisher) they haven't really changed the playing field. Yet. For now they may have shortened the trip from round trip to one way from resolve to X.

But since rough cuts often come to me edited on X by producers, that hasn't changed either.

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Aug 7, 2014 at 6:28:11 am

It really depends on what and how you do things. We "online" or "finish" in FCP7 but quite little is done in the actual app. Color Correction comes from Color primarily, visual effects and titles comes from After Effects.

In our case Resolve could potentially replace FCP7 and have a vastly more powerful color tool built in (it's a color tool with an editor). Color is the no 1 change I see being done, other effects like skyreplacment or pure retouch / paint work requires more than any mentioned NLE hence we'd still round-trip to either After Effects or Nuke.

The keyframe tools in FCPX are sad as they limit the app for finishing work. One can't do beizer based in/outs, some vital parameters can't even be animated (color correction!!!). PrPro is vastly better on the keyframe side, though it has some terrible CC filters and GUI issues instead... Since Speed Grade still is a seperate app, the round-trip feature still has some limitations and performance concerns I'm not sure that's they route for many either. Work with PrPro > AE > Speed Grade isn't as transparent as one would hope.

So... Resolve does have some potential.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:28:59 pm

In reality however (not to be confused with reality TV), how much color do you need to do outside of X. Properly shot footage usually needs a light touch that X and assorted plug-ins can handle. I see very few times and projects that need to round-trip. I know people will respond with "well its got feature A and Mask B and Secondaries C....Doesn't matter. I can do pretty much everything in X. Played with that in R10 and it basically works, but most of my color correction can be done in X. If it needs a lot more color work, the budget usually has color correction/colorist in it. I am not going to force simple color R11.

Now, if I am an Avid cutter and have watched the MC/Symph color tools rot on the vine, I am very interested in R11...perhaps thinking that this was what MC could have been.

Premiere? Eh, I find the Premiere product very distasteful and only use when that's all a shop that hires me has. Not sure how R11 stacks up against whatever color corrector Adobe has.

All that said, I will learn more of R11 as I can see shops dumping the remaining FCP7 suites and some making the choice of Resolve over Adobe. Just my humble opinion

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:49:58 pm
Last Edited By Erik Lindahl on Aug 7, 2014 at 12:55:29 pm

In reality I'm often limited by the color-tools in FCP7 and FCPX has the up-side of being able to do static mattes but no keyframes or tracking options (yes there are some third party effects that sort of solve this). Almost every single project we do goes though a color pipeline, be that Apple Color or DaVinci Resolve, the built in tools in most NLE's are vastly sub-par when it comes to detailed color work. Premiere Pro is going towards more advanced features given the mask-tracking soutions Adobe has chosen is idiotically implemented and pretty useless compared to doing a proper track / matte through Mocha (which takes times / is cumber sum) hence a tool like Resolve with this built in is amazing.

Do note we work in high-end commercials. I can spend a few days dealing with a few 30s spots. Most of our projects need a lot of color work. Most of our projects need the best quality for the job (with-in reason). Here for example doing title work takes a little longer in After Effects but you get it perfect here, the same goes for color in a tool like Resolve.

But it's also a question of work-flow. Doing say reality TV or longer-form projects with a lot of changes and / or not as high requirements on color / grade / look I'd probably not leave my NLE. When we do case- or behind the scenes films we tend to stick to FCP7. When we do commercials or short-film work we always go through the proper tools for the job.

Resolve I would pretty much think kick everything Premiere has to offer out of the water except for the fact you do have effects built into your NLE and possibly the fact that Premiere has some interesting third-party tools. But for pure color-related work, there is no contest. This is where the question for me arrises how much of the NLE-part can Resolve handle vs how much color can my NLE-handel. The color board in FCPX is from my tests far better than the 3-way color corrector in Premiere Pro. FCPX however seem to lack a lot of standard tools I'd take for granted in a grade / finishing scenario - Hue / Sat Curves and RGB Curves to state a few.

Another part of finishing is conforming. Here FCPX is from my experience extremely poor and far to picky / buggy about formats and relinking procedures. The fact Apple seems to break internal project structures every other version doesn't make it feel more "stable" in this regard. Premiere Pro has it's quirks but it's vastly better. I'd imagine Resolve is similar or better than Premiere Pro. The later does however have a decent link to After Effects for compositing work which again in some situations is a key / vital part of the finishing stage of a project.

So… My question remains really what Resolve can handle outside of hard core color work. IF the NLE-part of Resolve is more stable / fluid / solid compared to previous versions and it truly is a decent editor, it surely could become a very solid finish system.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 8, 2014 at 5:33:15 am

I have just downloaded Version 11 release so maybe there have been some issues fixed but I have now done two projects with beta 11. First was a music clip edit & finish and I did it entirely in Resolve with ProRes 1920 x 1080, DNxHD 1080, Blackmagic 4k raw and a 720 XDCam.

Observations were basic editing functionality was good. I have a grunty PC so no issues with the frame sizes and formats except XDCam doesn't work in Resolve on a PC so I had to convert. I only used dissolves and fades and basic titles & credits. Trimming, sizing and titles were very easy to control and having the ability to do final grade and denoise during an edit was terrific.

Second job was a dogs breakfast of codecs, frame sizes and frame rates. I needed to sort out field issues as well so a lot of footage was pre processed in FCP7 which was the edit NLE. Firstly Resolve couldn't be used to finish as I needed some image processing which I had both in FCP7 and Pr. I also needed warp stabilise and Resolve has no stabilisation. Optical flow for speed changes in Resolve was very good and I used it extensively although there was a few funny little glitches but otherwise buttery smooth. I also had to use prescribed titles and supers with straps and they had been supplied in both FCP7 and Pr formats. Final clincher was Resolve didn't seem to have multiple audio channel output so I couldn't do the playout files and digi beta tape with stereo mix AND M&E mix.

So as an edit tool I enjoyed the simple job and found it better than Pr or FCP7 as there was no round tripping. For the broadcast doco with more complicated needs it was almost there but the few too many work arounds meant it was quicker to xml to Pr and finish there. And I had to go back to FCP7 for the playout to tape. SO in the end it was a complete hybrid. So the dream of a single finish tool remains elusive.

Return to posts index

Neil Goodman
on Aug 8, 2014 at 5:31:23 pm

[Michael Gissing] " I also needed warp stabilise and Resolve has no stabilisation"

Resolve does indeed have a stabilizer and it works pretty damn good. Its part of the Tracking pane.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Aug 9, 2014 at 1:34:57 am

[Michael Gissing] " I also needed warp stabilise and Resolve has no stabilisation"

Resolve does indeed have a stabilizer and it works pretty damn good. Its part of the Tracking pane.

Ah thanks Neil.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 8, 2014 at 2:35:25 pm

[Erik Lindahl] "Premiere Pro is going towards more advanced features given the mask-tracking soutions Adobe has chosen is idiotically implemented"

Some things (like wine) take time before they fully mature. Given that we didn't have any solution, we've made substantial progress in a short time.

forrest gump - 'that's all I've got to say about that.'

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 8, 2014 at 3:01:20 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Some things (like wine) take time before they fully mature. Given that we didn't have any solution, we've made substantial progress in a short time. "

Xcellent point. ;-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Aug 8, 2014 at 6:08:42 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Xcellent point. ;-)"

Apple did have an NLE prior to X? ;-)

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:37:20 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:55:08 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Apple did have an NLE prior to X? ;-)
"

Who said anything about X? But yes, Apple had an NLE which they threw out when they realized that tracks would be unnecessary... in the future ;-) (hat tip to Aindreas)

Return to posts index

Erik Lindahl
on Aug 8, 2014 at 10:24:40 pm

11 years of slow, public, development and say 3 years in closed development it's enough for some mature tasty wine...? :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]