FORUMS: list search recent posts

What motion templates do you create for yourself?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
John Davidson
What motion templates do you create for yourself?
on Aug 6, 2014 at 1:37:02 am

Hey gang,

What kinds of different effects, transitions, and generators do you create for yourself in motion? For example, we have a 6 frame Fade up from black generator that we drop at the top of every project - that also happens to be 30 frames long so that when zoomed out you can still see the generator in a timeline easily.

Have any of you made those kinds of things for yourself? Curious what sort of ingenious little things we've all come up with.

Thanks!

John

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: What motion templates do you create for yourself?
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:12:02 am

Slate generator, red/green band generator, editable title generators, temp billing block, a few random effects. No idea what I'm doing really, so anything relatively easy. :-) I really need to dig a little deeper...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Aug 6, 2014 at 2:47:52 pm

Same as above, combine a few effects and publish select parameters. Kind of like saving a preset in After Effects but without the subscription. Me like that very much! :-)

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Aug 6, 2014 at 7:58:06 pm

[John Davidson] "
Have any of you made those kinds of things for yourself?"

Funny you mention this. No not yet, but my son is learning Motion. I'd like to create a motion background similar to what you see on cable news shows with shapes, color patterns and show name very slowly moving in the background and then cycling through. I would use it for instruction tutorials instead of keying out the blue screen and adding a still photo.

Does anyone know of a template we could start with? (And then I could say "yes" to your question.)

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Andreas Kiel
on Aug 8, 2014 at 11:02:47 am
Last Edited By Andreas Kiel on Aug 8, 2014 at 11:04:31 am

I do (did) several title things, a very few generators and some effects.
My non commercial subtitle templates are meanwhile used by several hundreds of happy people. ;-)

But there is something I can for sure recommend for everybody playing around with this kind of stuff.

1) In an environment where more than 1 user is involved (regardless if on 1 machine or several) don't use your new template immediately. Move it to "/Library/Application Support/Final Cut Pro/Templates.localized/" and the matching subfolder (i.e. Titles.localized). Take care of sub-groups like for example "my Titles".

2) If you experiment with Motion Templates you should edit the Motion XML and enter a build version (found at <build>). That might help you later to track changes you made across projects.

3) You may enter a theme when saving the template. That could help you to get organized within FCP X.

4) Entering a description can be helpful as well - though you don't see it in FCP X.

- Andreas

Spherico
http://www.spherico.com/filmtools

"He who fights with monsters should be careful lest he thereby
become a monster. And if thou gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will
also gaze into thee." - Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]