FORUMS: list search recent posts

Will your microphone be a bag of potato chips someday? Maybe....

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Will your microphone be a bag of potato chips someday? Maybe....
on Aug 5, 2014 at 2:02:09 am

MIT (the school) is doing some interesting research on recovering audio from VIDEO files of objects.

They're researching reading the microscopic sympathetic vibrations on surfaces of objects like chip bags with an eye to someday recovering the audio sounds from the video files.

Sounds like Science Fiction?

Maybe not.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
Re: Will your microphone be a bag of potato chips someday? Maybe....
on Aug 5, 2014 at 3:11:07 am

Great! Now I understand why we need 8K video!

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Aug 5, 2014 at 10:16:28 am

Adobe was involved in this research as well. I posted the article link to my twitter feed yesterday

https://twitter.com/dradadobe/status/496402301578674177

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Aug 5, 2014 at 12:27:09 pm

So, is it safe to say that the technology is all that, AND a bag of chips?

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Aug 5, 2014 at 12:58:02 pm

So you need a 80,000 dollar high-speed cam to be able to recover audio that you could simply have recorded with a cheap microphone? Now that's what I call progress!

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 5, 2014 at 1:10:14 pm

New meaning to we'll fix it in post.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Aug 5, 2014 at 1:32:48 pm

All kidding aside, it's cool research.

I wonder how much spatial and temporal resolution you'd need to measure the differences in vibrations across objects in different locations in space to get visual sonar-assisted roto or keying.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on Aug 5, 2014 at 5:00:30 pm

Interesting ramifications for the surveillance state there - high speed high-res cameras able to convert any object into a microphone... *gets tinfoil hat*

Seriously bloody clever though.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Aug 5, 2014 at 6:11:36 pm

Coming to an episode of CSI in the near future no doubt. After they first zoom in and "enhance" the image to see how many freckles a particular person in a crowd has they'll convert the visual sound waves vibrating off their nose hairs to see if it matches a voiceprint from an enhanced background conversation over a cell phone.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 5, 2014 at 7:50:11 pm

[Bret Williams] "they'll convert the visual sound waves vibrating off their nose hairs to see if it matches a voiceprint from an enhanced background conversation over a cell phone."

New audio technical term ahead: Signal to nose ratio.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2014 at 8:16:34 pm

"I wonder how much spatial and temporal resolution you'd need to measure the differences in vibrations across objects in different locations in space to get visual sonar-assisted roto or keying."

-Walter Soyka

I think we'll be seeing something like that pretty soon,based on the same technology used in the Lytro variable-post-focus still cameras, and/or IR beams picked up by the camera lens and the same sensor that images the visible light.

You won't need green or blue screens any more: just a foot or so of separation distance between discrete elements in your composition, and you will be able to key out independent elements based on their distance from the screen. Eventually, it will also work in realtime, not just post. The computational power to achieve this is rapidly approaching.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Aug 5, 2014 at 9:25:02 pm

In one of the Google Hangouts I do with editors overseas, I was trying to get one of the smarter camera guys to describe how the Lycos system actually works, and the consensus (at least in that group of high end editors) that nobody really knows enough to know for sure.

I'm not yet convinced that the system actually stores ALL the 3d information to make re-focusing truly infinite in Z space.

It seemed instead that there are still "multiple focal planes" being captured, not an infinite range?

But I could be totally off base. Does anybody know for sure?

Or has anyone seen a Lycos demo where they truly "racked" focus after the fact through a smooth variable range rather than having the viewer click on elements and having that element rack into focus?

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Aug 5, 2014 at 11:08:28 pm

Yeah, we did a story on it once for "Innovation Now". What the Lytro is, is a light field or plenoptic camera. You can perhaps think of it as a stereoscopic camera that cheats by using one lens... or in this case, an array of many micro-lenses - to generate the stereoscopic separation, keyed to the subject distance. That, in turn, gives you the rolling back to front control of DOF.

Got it? :-)

Return to posts index

Scott Thomas
on Aug 6, 2014 at 2:14:35 am

Perhaps we'll see this in the next release of PluralEyes. :)

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]