FORUMS: list search recent posts

20% of previous FCPX users moving to Premiere/Windows

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Gary Huff
20% of previous FCPX users moving to Premiere/Windows
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:11:43 pm

Apparently the magnetic timeline is so onerous to these users that not only are they moving to Premiere, but also divesting themselves of Apple hardware and moving to Windows-based workstations.

How does this bode for Apple? Will this cause a shift of thinking in the ProApps department?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
Re: 20% of previous FCPX users moving to Premiere/Windows
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:30:00 pm

So where have these figures come from?

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:31:30 pm

[Gary Huff] "How does this bode for Apple?"

I doubt they care...as you can see in the post just below this one, they are making a huge profit on the ProApps alone (millions of users)...and it's a small drop in their overall bucket. iPhones and iPads rule over there. I doubt losing a few people to another NLE, when they still make a big profit, will make them rethink anything.

[Gary Huff] "Will this cause a shift of thinking in the ProApps department?"

I doubt it. FCX has it fans, and they outnumber the other NLE users by quite a bit.

Why does any of this even matter? Use what you want.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:33:18 pm

It matters because it could negatively impact sales of the neuMac Pro. Probably at least half of those would have purchased high end Mac Pro hardware, where now that money is instead going to HP, Dell, etc.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:37:47 pm

MacPro's are probably their lowest selling product. Again, iPhones and iPads and even laptops are their bread and butter. I'll wager they only did the MacPro to placate people...make them think they are still "serious" about the pro market.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:38:58 pm

That would be an insane amount of time and resources to throw at something they're not invested in, including building a wholesale new dedicated plant in the US to build them.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:19:34 pm
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:20:12 pm

[Marcus Moore] "That would be an insane amount of time and resources to throw at something they're not invested in, including building a wholesale new dedicated plant in the US to build them."

That's because they thought the market was there, but FCPX cut their legs off from under them.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:26:21 pm

Honestly, they really must be panicking.

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/07/26/apple-incs-double-digit-us-mac-gr...

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:26:58 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Marcus Moore] "That would be an insane amount of time and resources to throw at something they're not invested in, including building a wholesale new dedicated plant in the US to build them."

That's because they thought the market was there, but FCPX cut their legs off from under them."

details:

In Apple's filings with the Securities and Exchange Commission, however, the company reported a major global surge in Mac sales. "Net sales and unit sales increased for Mac due to strong demand for MacBook Air which was updated with faster processors and lower prices in April 2014 and due to sales of the new Mac Pro which became available in December 2013," the company reported in its 10-Q.

pesky link thing

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:31:48 pm

It's not very nice to throw facts at me. This is a discussion forum after all.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 29, 2014 at 11:52:50 pm

I brought the previous article in for discussion- I'm the one who was able to have a civil discussion about its potential issues... and I'm the one who to took the initiate to go direct to the author of the original charts and get his very reasoned take on how it was put together and the margins for error.

You're just being silly.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:12:19 am

[Marcus Moore] "You're just being silly."

Oh now, Marcus, come on. Discuss away. It's just as pertinent as your made-up numbers.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:33:02 am
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:35:01 am

You mean the number I said I was making up?

When Franz said FCP X's "over 1 million users" meant an average of 300K per year, I agreed with him. That's some pretty straight math. But it didn't jive with the info presented in the original article.

I'm trying to imagine what I've suggested that's so outlandish.

With FCP X (like CC Premier) being relatively early in it's life, I wondered if it was an escalating curve. Whether it's new users, or some legacy users not migrating until recent feature additions, a growing adoption curve was one idea I was positing to try and square the data presented in the chart. The one that comes from TWO external sources, neither of them me.

As it turns out it didn't add up, even with very backloaded sales.

I posited, argued against, and ultimately disproved erroneous info by fact checking.

Yup, my blinders are firmly on...

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 30, 2014 at 2:58:31 am

[Marcus Moore] "I posited, argued against, and ultimately disproved erroneous info by fact checking."

That's fine. But when pointed out:

[Marcus Moore] "It's called a discussion forum for some reason... Hmmmm."

[Marcus Moore] " In this case talking about where the data might be going wrong. But you're right, of course... [insert eyes rolling]"

So, in full "eye rolling" mode...right back at ya.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:07:41 pm

[Gary Huff] " Probably at least half of those would have purchased high end Mac Pro hardware, where now that money is instead going to HP, Dell, etc."

Sounds like tossing numbers around to me

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:24:31 pm

But the real question is, what will Apple do about it? Is Siri control over the iWatch of the FCPX interface going to be the killer feature that woos users back to both the NLE and the platform as a whole? Or are those 5,000 eBay'd Mac Pro units going to completely destroy that market?

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 29, 2014 at 6:33:04 pm

WE CAN'T STOP NOW!!!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:09:55 pm

that is FANTASTIC. I've never, you know, actually seen lemmings? why did I never look it up? That was bananas.

Also, as lemmings go, there's a warner bros lot with a will smith film planted out there in the water. decent riposte surely.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:58:46 pm

This is the perfect metaphore.

Because the entire lemmings meme is one huge hoax.

http://www.snopes.com/disney/films/lemmings.asp

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:06:06 pm

ah jesus - i swear to you - I did actually write - 'but when that camera was overhead what the hell. were they kicking them?'
but then i deleted it. I do regret that now.

also those things are not lemmings; they're tribbles. In the atlantic.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:39:55 pm

Where is this coming from again?

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 29, 2014 at 7:41:17 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Where is this coming from again?
"

Ironically it hasn't been referenced so far

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:35:08 pm

[Steve Connor] "Ironically it hasn't been referenced so far"

"Ironic" isn't the word I would pick.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:21:04 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Steve Connor] "Ironically it hasn't been referenced so far"

"Ironic" isn't the word I would pick."

There's irony in there somewhere

Steve Connor

Hoping to become a pedant

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:30:30 pm

[Steve Connor] "There's irony in there somewhere"

The only irony would be if I'm not actually mocking.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 29, 2014 at 8:35:40 pm

[Steve Connor] "Ironically it hasn't been referenced so far"

Come now, the source is alimentary.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:02:21 pm

If the anecdotal evidence we come across behind the scenes at the COW is relevant, I assure you that the number is much higher than you think.

Unless you think the number is 20%. LOL C'mon.

[Shane Ross] "MacPro's are probably their lowest selling product. Again, iPhones and iPads and even laptops are their bread and butter. I'll wager they only did the MacPro to placate people...make them think they are still "serious" about the pro market."

This with one million thumbs up. The most popular Macs are iMacs and 13-inch MacBooks. This has been true for a very long time. FCPX is a cool thing to use ON a Mac, and for pretty much everyone outside the COW, and plenty folks IN the COW, either of those will do mighty fine for FCPX. But it's a ridiculous reason to BUY a Mac, and an even more ridiculous primary reason to buy a Mac Pro...which there are also good reasons to buy....but FCPX ain't what's driving those sales.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:06:43 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:07:31 pm

[Tim Wilson] "I assure you that the number is much higher than you think.
"

Of former FCP X users moving? Or former FC 1-7 users moving. The latter I'll buy in a heartbeat. The former I'd need a cite.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:09:17 pm

[Charlie Austin] "The former I'd need a cite."

You don't need a cite. What you need is to discuss what these details mean for Apple.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:12:44 pm

[Gary Huff] "You don't need a cite. What you need is to discuss what these details mean for Apple."

Details, by their nature, are comprised of detail. Of which there is none. ;-)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:18:32 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Details, by their nature, are comprised of detail."

That's the old school way of thinking. I have seen the light.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:22:05 pm

[Gary Huff] "[Charlie Austin] "Details, by their nature, are comprised of detail."

That's the old school way of thinking. I have seen the light."

:-) Oh, well in that case... I think it means nothing to Apple. It's like losing clients you don't like. As long as others come along, who cares. Maybe you're better off without them. And others seem to be coming along. Amateur, Pro, Pro-Am... whatever. They pay the same price.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:48:00 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Of former FCP X users moving? Or former FC 1-7 users moving. The latter I'll buy in a heartbeat. The former I'd need a cite."

The latter, absolutely.

Although I guess it depends how you'd count a "former FCPX user," right? How long would they have had to try it before bailing in order to count?

But in general, I do think there's a high incidence of people who saw what they needed to from the combination of 5 or 6 years without a meaningful FCLegend update, the early releases of X, and a not exciting Mac Pro. Making no value judgements myself (for once). Just an observation...

...but I do have some questions myself about the relationship between X, switching and other NLEs three years into this. The sociologist in me wishes that there had been a way to track the changes along the way....in a more substantive manner than this subject line. LOL

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:55:46 pm

[Tim Wilson] "But in general, I do think there's a high incidence of people who saw what they needed to from the combination of 5 or 6 years without a meaningful FCLegend update, the early releases of X, and a not exciting Mac Pro."

And I'd agree. They probably should have waited a little longer. ;-) What I don't agree with is the title of this thread topic. Though it is a clever way to have that nugget of made up info appear in google search results. Well done Gary! lol I think I'll start a "39% of previous Avid users switch to FCP X" thread to counter. :-)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:05:22 pm

[Charlie Austin] "I think I'll start a "39% of previous Avid users switch to FCP X" thread to counter. :-)"

Only 39%? I think you can imagine a bigger number than that! :-D

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:39:05 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kay on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:55:25 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Where is this coming from again?"

From the same place as most of the comments here, such as FCX users outnumbering other NLE users.

Realtalk: Swapping NLE's (and OS) is just not a flippant move. Archives and infrastructure play a huge role that is ignored or unaddressed. Every production house in my area that I am aware of is on the same NLE now as before FCX was released (avid, or FC7). Existing infrastructure flavors a whole lot of business decisions and it should be expected that any move away from existing infrastructure would be delayed. While there is no source, would that a source have been given this wouldn't really a happening that should be argued against. Unless its incomprehensible that someone might not like FCX, which even a glance at how divisive FCX was/is makes that a silly sentiment.

EDIT:
[Tim Wilson] "Although I guess it depends how you'd count a "former FCPX user," right? How long would they have had to try it before bailing in order to count?

But in general, I do think there's a high incidence of people who saw what they needed to from the combination of 5 or 6 years without a meaningful FCLegend update, the early releases of X, and a not exciting Mac Pro. Making no value judgements myself (for once). Just an observation...

...but I do have some questions myself about the relationship between X, switching and other NLEs three years into this. The sociologist in me wishes that there had been a way to track the changes along the way....in a more substantive manner than this subject line. LOL"

Yeah, this is what I was trying to get at.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 29, 2014 at 10:06:09 pm

[Jeff Kay] "From the same place as most of the comments here, such as FCX users outnumbering other NLE users."

Send me your address for your free cigar!

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
20% of Supermodels want to date US!
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:02:46 pm

Hey guys!

Did you know that 20% of the worlds supermodels are dying to date guys who post on this forum!

Just thought it was interesting to note out of the blue.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: 20% of Supermodels want to date US!
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:09:45 pm

[Bill Davis] "Did you know that 20% of the worlds supermodels are dying to date guys who post on this forum!"

But out of those 20%, 13.45% specifically want to date Bill Davis.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:44:31 pm

And out of the 13% exactly zero percent retain the idea after given a chance to chat with my wife.

Cuz, no matter how shapely the poles, nobody with any sense trades a mansion for a pup tent.

; )

Return to posts index

Jeff Kay
on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:52:35 pm
Last Edited By Jeff Kay on Jul 29, 2014 at 9:53:09 pm

I don't know about the supermodels, but I do know for certain that 203% of Nigerian princes want to transfer millions of dollars into my bank account.

Return to posts index

Dom London
on Aug 5, 2014 at 7:00:41 pm

Hi Gary

Can I echo other requests about where that figure comes from?

All the best

Dom

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Aug 5, 2014 at 7:08:38 pm

I believe Mr Huff conjured the figure out of thin air to make a point about some of the other stats being thrown around on here

Steve Connor

Hoping to become a pedant

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]