FORUMS: list search recent posts

NMP Storage Question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Ruey Loon
NMP Storage Question
on Jul 28, 2014 at 1:36:14 am

Hello

hi, I'll be getting the NMP 6core D500 and 16 gig of RAM.
The question is about storage, internal 256 ? or should I bump it to 1tb ?

I am currently running on a 840EVO on my 2010 Mac Pro that I am planning to boot off from a seagate TB adapter.

The 2 main speed increase I would like to have is

1) smooth real time editing on FCPX without having to wait for rendering to see the effects. Mainly for the program to keep up with me doing the changes. Export time isn't that important as I handle just a few projects at a time and leaving it to run overnight is not a problem. I do short videos mainly 3-5 mins long, longest is probably 30 mins.

2) smooth real time editing in Lightroom.

With my 8core 3.33 2010 Mac Pro, those 2 tasks at times are slower than the changes I want to make so I constantly have to slow down and wait for the computer to catch up. Again, export is not important it is still the real time editing that I would like improved.

rgs
rueyloon

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
Re: NMP Storage Question
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:05:15 am

Hi,

if you have the money for a larger SSD I would advise you to put it into ... more RAM. FCPX will behave better with 32 or 64 GB than.

256 GB of SSD should be enough for your OS, FCPX , Lightroom and and a few other.

just my 2 cents

Patrice

Return to posts index

Ruey Loon
on Jul 28, 2014 at 5:13:57 am

Just a side track on memory. I have been monitoring memory usage when editing I don't see fcpx using more than 4-6 gigs... Am I missing something ?

Return to posts index

Patrice Freymond
on Jul 28, 2014 at 11:12:07 am

Not sure if this has to do with your older machine, but rest assured that once it is running on your NMP, it will use way more than that.

P.

Patrice Freymond

Editor  Certified Trainer FCP7/X
Post Consultant

Always learning...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]