FORUMS: list search recent posts

Slightly OT: Blackmagic Camera software update

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Slightly OT: Blackmagic Camera software update
on Jul 24, 2014 at 11:59:28 pm

Just saw the announcement that a new headsup display came out for the 4K production camera that shows recording time available, audio meters and the histogram for getting proper exposure. Should be seeing an update for other cameras in the next few weeks. Would love to see higher frame rates available.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
Re: Slightly OT: Blackmagic Camera software update
on Jul 25, 2014 at 12:40:28 am

[David Mathis] "Would love to see higher frame rates available."

These are nice updates to be sure... but I wouldn't hold out too much hope for higher frame rates. These cameras are already pretty compact for the formats they shoot, and they generate a fair amount of heat as is. Unless, you want HFR Prores Proxy... it's probably not going to happen.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 25, 2014 at 8:02:33 am

And there are practical data rate issues writing high frame rate raw to a single on boards SSD drive. I share a BM 4K and the Sandisk Extreme 1 SSDs can drop frames shooting 4 k raw at 25fps.Testing the Sandisk Extreme 11 this weekend

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 25, 2014 at 2:35:35 pm

[Michael Gissing] "I share a BM 4K and the Sandisk Extreme 1 SSDs can drop frames shooting 4 k raw at 25fps.Testing the Sandisk Extreme 11 this weekend"

You need the Sandisk Extreme Pro if you want to shoot continuously in 4K raw without dropping frames.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jul 27, 2014 at 11:24:52 pm

I shot over the weekend using the 480 gig Sandisk Extreme 2 and it worked fine on 4k raw without dropped frames.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 28, 2014 at 2:33:57 am

What is a good storage solution for raw files on a mid 2012 Mac Pro? Would consider adding a Sata card unless there is a better option. Thank you.

It maybe be idiot proof but I'm still blond. :-)

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:02:44 pm

Looking forward to see all this in the Pocket. I don't expect higher frame rates with the current cameras. They'd have redesign bodies as they've done with Ursa.

My fantasy is that Blackmagic comes out with an affordable high frame rate specific camera. A "Phantom for the rest of us" if you will.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 25, 2014 at 10:09:05 pm

[Craig Seeman] "My fantasy is that Blackmagic comes out with an affordable high frame rate specific camera. A "Phantom for the rest of us" if you will.
"

Agreed. Until then we have URSA as an option. Guess that is kind of like a poor man version of a Red One or Arri Alexa? Glad there will be an idiot proof way of setting exposure.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 26, 2014 at 8:03:59 am

Re the Ursa, there are three fundamental noteworthy things about how BM stepped back and completely dumped some of the entrenched camera thinking.

First, the idea of smaller and lighter is ALWAYS best.
Second that the camera has to sharply lose value as its sensor ages.
And thirdly that as sensor resolution increases, you don't have to deal with all that extra heat.

It isn't as sleek and sexy looking as, say, the Cion. But I wonder all that upgradability and water cooling might end up making it into the camera that harks back to the era when you bought a rig and expected it to serve you for more than a couple of years.

Time will tell.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 26, 2014 at 2:57:12 pm

[Bill Davis] "It isn't as sleek and sexy looking as, say, the Cion. But I wonder all that upgradability and water cooling might end up making it into the camera that harks back to the era when you bought a rig and expected it to serve you for more than a couple of years."

Well said and completely agree.

+1

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 27, 2014 at 1:44:28 pm

[Bill Davis] "First, the idea of smaller and lighter is ALWAYS best."

Well, if this stops producers for asking for handheld shots, all the better. But I doubt it will, and thus it will be a burden.

[Bill Davis] "ut I wonder all that upgradability and water cooling might end up making it into the camera that harks back to the era when you bought a rig and expected it to serve you for more than a couple of years."

I predict you'll have the option to swap out for the 2.5K sensor from the original Blackmagic Cinema Camera and that will be it.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]