FORUMS: list search recent posts

BBC "Sherlock Holmes"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Dave Gage
BBC "Sherlock Holmes"
on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:01:46 am

I finally got around to watching the 3 seasons of this show on NetFlix. Does anyone know what NLE was used to edit the shows? There is an effect in the opening credits that looks like the "Miniaturize plugin" from FCPEffects which appears to be only available for FCP X.

Also, some of the show's music and cues sound the same or very similar to some of the freebie Apple music.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
Re: BBC "Sherlock Holmes"
on Jul 20, 2014 at 11:26:52 am

[Dave Gage] "There is an effect in the opening credits that looks like the "Miniaturize plugin" from FCPEffects which appears to be only available for FCP X."

Though you can also achieve that effect in-camera as well. It was edited in AVID.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:43:55 pm

Cool.

I really like the editing style and the look for this series. I did an Internet search before I posted here, but didn't find much. I'd love to see a behind the scenes of filming and editing. Via Netflix for Season 3, there are three short behind the scenes episodes but they deal primarily with the show characters vs. technical aspects of the shoot.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

Bob Woodhead
on Jul 20, 2014 at 11:59:44 am

It's called tilt-shift usually. There's at least one plugin for it, or as Gary sez, lenses as well. Love the show, BTW.

Return to posts index

Michael Phillips
on Jul 20, 2014 at 12:25:29 pm

Love the show as well. You can get a tilt/shift in Avid via Red Giant Looks.Also, Titles and end credits are usually designed by a graphics and effects team and dropped in a elements so it may have been done in a different system altogether.

Michael

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jul 20, 2014 at 2:40:38 pm

[Dave Gage] "I finally got around to watching the 3 seasons of this show on NetFlix. Does anyone know what NLE was used to edit the shows? There is an effect in the opening credits that looks like the "Miniaturize plugin" from FCPEffects which appears to be only available for FCP X."

Very unlikely a show at that budget level would be doing visual effects in any 'offline' NLE; any visual effects you're seeing were likely created in After Effects, Nuke, or a DI system like Resolve or Baselight. Most of these tools could create a tilt-shift effect like that without a plugin; selective defocus is quite easy with power windows in Resolve, for instance.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:28:04 pm

I would be interested to do if that was a post effect or in-camera with a tilt-shift lens.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jul 20, 2014 at 9:52:05 pm

If you search for tutorials for tilt-shift with After Effects and Photoshop, you will see a bunch. In Photoshop, it's now a filter and pretty easy to apply. Just take a video in, convert it to a smart object and apply the tilt-shift.

It is a nice effect.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jul 20, 2014 at 11:51:59 pm

I like the fact that Adobe guys are here defending their turf!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 21, 2014 at 12:57:50 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "If you search for tutorials for tilt-shift with After Effects and Photoshop, you will see a bunch."

Yes, I know how to do it in post. So far, it's all been done in-camera when I have done it.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:30:49 pm

[Gary Huff] "I would be interested to do if that was a post effect or in-camera with a tilt-shift lens."

I think it's a post effect, at least on the Thames shot 5s in. Focus falls off identically over both the London Eye and Westminster, but in real life they're separated by the river.

I'm having a hard time conceiving a physical focal plane that would allow this.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jul 21, 2014 at 4:31:12 pm

[Walter Soyka] "
I think it's a post effect, at least on the Thames shot 5s in. Focus falls off identically over both the London Eye and Westminster, but in real life they're separated by the river."

Good eye.

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Jul 20, 2014 at 4:50:58 pm

BBC Sherlock was released in 2010. FCPX was released in 2011.

Nice try.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 20, 2014 at 6:22:04 pm

FCP X has the ability to go back in time. This was foreshadowed with Steve Job's RDF (reality distortion field) and in FCP X's ability to update old libraries.

Love that series!

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 20, 2014 at 7:38:19 pm

[Craig Alan] "FCP X has the ability to go back in time."
That's what I was going to say.

[Craig Alan] "Love that series!"
I'm now on my way to seeing each of the 9 shows two times through each. Except for the "Dominatrix" show, I've been able to show the episodes to my kids (boys 9 and 11) and it's their new favorite thing to watch. (You can only see the "Avengers" movie so many times.) It's great schooling for them on the art of deduction.

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jul 21, 2014 at 2:34:27 am

Series 1 was done in 2010.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/episodes?year=2010

Series 2 in 2012,

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/episodes?year=2012&ref_=tt_eps_yr_2012

Series 3 was shot and edited in 2013...aired in Jan 2014

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1475582/episodes?year=2014

But yes, edited on Avid. But that's besides the point...it wasn't the NLE that made the series great, it was the people behind the lens and at the edit desk. And that tilt-shift effect is more commonly done in camera, although plugins are available.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 21, 2014 at 4:22:20 am

[Shane Ross] "And that tilt-shift effect is more commonly done in camera, although plugins are available."

I don't make my living editing, so this is the first I've heard of the tilt-shift effect although I had seen the Miniaturize filter before. Interesting how it's done with the camera. I found this to explain-
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tilt-shift_photography
It really does create the sense of miniaturizing and reminds me of model trains. Cool effect, but if I ever see it again, I will just think of this BBC series.

[Shane Ross] "But that's besides the point...it wasn't the NLE that made the series great, it was the people behind the lens and at the edit desk."
Clearly. I just finished watching the 3rd Season episode 1 again, this time with my kids. I've been describing this series to friends that haven't seen it and the word that always comes to mind is "brilliant". I can't seem find anything I would have liked to see done differently. When I watched it for the first time I thought the lead actor Benedict looked kinda young for the role with his boyish face, but his acting was so good, I got used to it. It will be tough seeing Robert Downey Jr. in this role again.

My only disappoint with this series is that they can't seem to get everyone's schedule to sync up to make Season 4.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 21, 2014 at 5:32:16 am

this link provides a nice overview

http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/104/tilt-shift

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 21, 2014 at 9:06:29 pm

[Craig Alan] "this link provides a nice overview

http://vimeo.com/videoschool/lesson/104/tilt-shift"

Very Nice, thanks for posting it.

Dave

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 22, 2014 at 6:55:16 pm

[Dave Gage] "My only disappoint with this series is that they can't seem to get everyone's schedule to sync up to make Season 4."

Perhaps in part because Mr. Cumberbach is still at work on The Imitation Game?

And while you'll find few bigger fans of the Sherlock Holmes canon then me (HUGE Jeremy Brett fan) I'm happy to forgo a season of what is essentially a wonderful entertainment to let him do Alan Turings story.

Holmes is a wonderful pleasure.

Turing is important.

Period.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on Jul 22, 2014 at 8:41:45 pm

[Bill Davis] "Perhaps in part because Mr. Cumberbach is still at work on The Imitation Game?"

Good to know. I'll pass this on to my wife. She's the one who finds all the interesting stuff on NetFlix (we finally dumped cable a few months ago). I only stumbled across SH because she was watching it one night. I recognized Dr. Watson from "The Hobbit", but had never seen Benedict before this series.

Thanks,
Dave

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jul 22, 2014 at 10:39:04 pm

Saw Derek Jacoby - long before he was Sir Derek - in a play about Turings' life called "Breaking the Code." What an astonishingly sad and frightening story.

Tim

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:45:28 pm
Last Edited By Richard Herd on Jul 21, 2014 at 6:45:57 pm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scheimpflug_principle

I was fortunate to play with a Scheimpflug camera because one of clients is a photography guru. Amazing how the focus plane is not parallel to the film plane. His camera was 4x5 and was technically capable of attaching a film/video sensor but the cost was prohibitive. I think the rack focus look would be amazing.

edited out a type-o

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:08:45 pm

crumple-pop sells the shrink-ray plug in for fcpx and recently had it on sale where you could name your pricefor the download. I got mine for 2 bucks.

Return to posts index

Bret Hampton
on Jul 22, 2014 at 4:19:41 pm

There was a nice article about Sherlock in Digital Video magazine maybe a year or so ago.

It mentioned it was shot with two Arri Alexas most of the time, but they also used DSLRS for certain shots.Most interestingly, they would take a series of still pics at different focal lengths, then stitch them together for a staccato kind of zoom that was very effective dramatically.

They also talked about how they created the text/numeric images when Sherlock is thinking.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]