FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX 10.1.2 disappearing projects?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jan C. Botha
FCPX 10.1.2 disappearing projects?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 9:13:56 pm

I manage a post facility, and we started to converted everything to FCPX in October 2013. I have had two separate incidents since the 10.1.2 update where the editors project would disappear. With the first the editor open his library the next day and we could not find any trace of the editors edit, not even in the autosave. But with the second two days later only half the edit on the sequence disappeared. After relaunching FCPX the rest of the sequence appeared.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, or know what could be causing this?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
Re: FCPX 10.1.2 disappearing projects?
on Jul 12, 2014 at 10:57:42 pm

I've seen some weird behavior after upgrading as well, but nothing like that. Make sure you trash all the preferences. Apparently Preference Manager doesn't get them all, so you have to do this manually. Check in the individual user Library - Preferences folder. Find the Final Cut Pro preference files, trash, empty trash, restart. Not sure if that's the answer, but it's worth a shot.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 12, 2014 at 11:21:30 pm

Can't we trash prefs on launch now by holding down something?

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 12, 2014 at 11:50:47 pm

http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3893

From the support doc:

Reset preferences in Final Cut Pro X 10.1.2

Quit Final Cut Pro X.
Hold down the Command and Option keys while reopening Final Cut Pro X. A window will appear asking "Do you want to delete preferences?"
Click Delete Preferences. This command removes the preference files and resets Final Cut Pro X to default settings.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:37:44 am

Oh, that's a good one Oliver. Thx.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jul 13, 2014 at 4:43:29 pm

Oliver, are you saying this method may not trash them all and therefore use the manual method?

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 13, 2014 at 11:11:44 pm

[Craig Alan] "are you saying this method may not trash them all"

No. When I used Preference Manager to trash the FCP X preferences, it didn't get them.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 13, 2014 at 11:38:29 pm

I find it kind of suspicious that the 10.1.2 release HAD the re-emphasis on the new "clear prefs" keystroke combo.

Seems like they knew there was something in the new plumbing that was creating issues.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jul 13, 2014 at 11:49:00 pm

I'm starting to believe the prefs need to be trashed with EVERY update. I also find some updates cause problems with active productions that are updated. Some are fine, but it's a pucker factor with large productions every time there's an update.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Jan C. Botha
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:39:09 pm

Thanks Oliver, I'll give it a go next time.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jul 13, 2014 at 5:17:58 am

What hardware are you running this on and if upgraded from older OS, are they clean OS installs?

Return to posts index

Jan C. Botha
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:50:17 pm

Hi Jeremy

The one system is a 2010 MacPro 5.1, 2.4 Quad Core, 16gb Ram. Mountain Lion was a fresh install, and then upgraded to Mavericks. Currently running 10.9.4

The second system is a brand new 27' iMac, 3.5GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, 16Gb Ram. Factory installed Mavericks, currently running on 10.9.4.

Both edit suits were running completely independently off harddrives, disconnected from the SAN as it was being serviced. They were not even connected to the office network at the time.

Return to posts index

Andre van Berlo
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:02:12 pm

I more or less had the same thing. A project disappeared in FCPX, the folder was still there on the harddrive but somehow the project wouldn't load. I didn't have a whole lot of stuff done in that project so I started from scratch. That old project still doesn't appear in FCPX though, strange bug.

Return to posts index

Jan C. Botha
on Jul 14, 2014 at 8:51:47 pm

Hi Andre

And if you check your autosaves? Also no trace?

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 15, 2014 at 5:19:07 pm

It's like the quote from "Jurassic Park", just because we don't have to save our projects doesn't mean we shouldn't. (OK, I think they were talking about making dinosaurs walk the earth again, not the same thing.)

I recommend using "Backups for FCPX" You can make tiny library backups that don't have any media in them so even the largest projects only reach 200mb or so.

This is one of the "making it too simple" issues I have with FCP X. You can duplicate projects into new libraries easily now, but the function of doing this to make a backup isn't clear.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 16, 2014 at 3:19:45 am

[Darren Roark] "I recommend using "Backups for FCPX" You can make tiny library backups that don't have any media in them so even the largest projects only reach 200mb or so. "

This exact function has existed in FCP X since 10.1. Does that do something different? Seems a bit redundant.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 16, 2014 at 4:23:23 am

It's the 7-Eleven model, convenience is key.

It makes it easy outside of FCPX to make incremental backups of libraries that take up minimal space.

In FCP X you can do this simply by duplicating events and projects to a new library, but the app takes it's sweet time making copies. This instantly makes a copy of the library and project and event files without any footage or cache files.

It's worth it.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jul 16, 2014 at 1:37:42 pm

[Darren Roark] "In FCP X you can do this simply by duplicating events and projects to a new library, but the app takes it's sweet time making copies. This instantly makes a copy of the library and project and event files without any footage or cache files. "

It's still unclear if you realize that X does this, or if you just don't think it does a good job of it. There is no need to duplicate libraries and events to a new library. X duplicates libraries without the media every 15minutes or so, IF something has changed. Most of my auto backups are 10-40megs. So, sure, every 5 minutes would be safer, but I don't see a need to buy an additional app duplicating functionality just to have it save every 5 minutes instead of every 15. You'll find these backups in your User>Movies>Final Cut Backups folder. They can be restored from File>Open Library>From Backup command or double clicked directly if you can't open the original library.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jul 16, 2014 at 9:57:21 pm

[Bret Williams] "It's still unclear if you realize that X does this, or if you just don't think it does a good job of it. "

Ahh, I wasn't clear at all.

I did know that it does make the backups, but for peace of mind, doing it by hand is good for me. With that extra app you can add notes to the backup archive and label the revisions, this has helped me stay organized.

There is also the 'I have been doing it this way for a while and so I'm not going to change.' factor going on here.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]