FORUMS: list search recent posts

X and Motion as a Flame "front end"

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
X and Motion as a Flame "front end"
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:20:46 am

Along with Alex4ds piece already discussed here, the FCP.co site also has an interesting story on how X and Motion are helping ESPN's World Cup coverage as a planning, DAM and per-viz toolset to create assets that they finish in their Flame system.

Interesting read.

http://www.fcp.co/final-cut-pro/articles/1454-final-cut-pro-x-and-the-espn-...

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: X and Motion as a Flame "front end"
on Jul 11, 2014 at 3:35:26 pm

[Bill Davis] "X and Motion are helping ESPN's World Cup coverage as a planning, DAM and per-viz toolset to create assets that they finish in their Flame system."

It is interesting, but to be fair, it's not "helping ESPN's World Cup coverage", It's the workflow for a 2 min promo for the the coverage. Pretty cool spot though... :-)

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jul 11, 2014 at 6:45:23 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on Jul 11, 2014 at 6:51:35 pm

[Charlie Austin] "It is interesting, but to be fair, it's not "helping ESPN's World Cup coverage", It's the workflow for a 2 min promo for the the coverage. Pretty cool spot though... :-)
"

Gosh, Charlie.

X and Motion got used to PROMOTE Fifa World Cup programming on ESPN. Isn't "Promotion" essentially a synonym for "helping?"

Look, I'm tired of thinking I have to be super-careful every time I show something positive about X to "balance" that with pointing out every potential flaw and caveat.

I believe my headline and the associated copy promises exactly what the story delivers.

If I got it wrong, I'd be happy to hear the case for that. But I don't think I did here.

One more note. I have a vested interest in the software developing so I can take advantage of the new capabilities in my own practice. The thing that will cause it to develop faster and in exciting new directions is if people working with extremely complex professional productions increasingly are exposed to the VALUE it can bring to a workflow. That is PRECISELY what this article does.

Nothing would please me more than if more high-end editors bang on the software to decide for themselves where and how it does and does not fit into the world of professional editing.

If it fails, we should hear about that. But when it succeeds as a tool that helps an editor make sense of of the work they have to do - we should hear about THAT as well. Without apologies.

Simple as that.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:20:05 pm

[Bill Davis] "Look, I'm tired of thinking I have to be super-careful every time I show something positive about X to "balance" that with pointing out every potential flaw and caveat. "

I don't think you have to do that for X at all... I think it's true of anything. If I said Final Cut 7 was used to help make The Expendables 3, that would be tangentially true, as at least one of the trailers and a bunch of TV spots were cut in it. And without promo stuff Hollywood movies can't get made. But... the movie was cut on Avid.

Now, they may well be using FCP X in the coverage of the World cup, but this article was about a (really, really cool) promotional spot.

I'm a stickler for details. ;-)

[Bill Davis] "One more note. I have a vested interest in the software developing so I can take advantage of the new capabilities in my own practice. "

Me too. You have no idea... :-o But I really think saying FCP X was used to cut an awesome high profile ESPN promo piece is a more accurate, and more impressive description than "helping ESPN's World Cup coverage as a planning, DAM and per-viz toolset to create assets that they finish in their Flame system." Which is not really the case. Again... just me. Carry on. :-D

Return to posts index

tony west
on Jul 14, 2014 at 1:41:24 am

[Charlie Austin] " without promo stuff Hollywood movies can't get made. But... the movie was cut on Avid.

Now, they may well be using FCP X in the coverage of the World cup, but this article was about a (really, really cool) promotional spot. "

I just wanted to drop in here Charlie, I see the point you are making, I would only add that in coverage of these large sporting events (I have done many) the front end promo stuff like Bill showed is really the
"heavy lifting" editing of that type of production. You really don't have a lot of time to spend cutting on these live events.

While I believe X would be right at home on these live events, (I have said so from the start) I'm actually more impressed with the example in the article. I figured it would make it to the remote trucks more often and quicker than these nice promos.

So in spirit you make a good point but in the sports world, I don't think your movie example fits.
It's a different beast.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2014 at 6:59:35 pm

A couple of the comments to that article bemoan the absence of more advanced tutorials for Motion which leads me nicely to the opportunity for a shameless plug my own free YouTube series:

Motion Tutorials from Tokyo Productions

Inspired by Andrew Kramer's videocopilot series, I've tried to take a look a how you can use Motion for advanced motion graphics and compositing projects. Mark Spencer's Motion training is of course a brilliant resource, but if you want to develop your skills beyond just the point of knowing how to use the tools, then maybe these worth a watch.

OK, I'll get my coat ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:21:25 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "leads me nicely to the opportunity for a shameless plug my own free YouTube series:"

I second this plug. Great stuff. :-)

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:23:39 pm

Thanks, Charlie.

Your beer is in the post;-)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:31:46 pm

[Charlie Austin] "[Simon Ubsdell] "leads me nicely to the opportunity for a shameless plug my own free YouTube series:"

I second this plug. Great stuff. :-)"

I third this plug, these are really good tutorials! :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2014 at 8:28:52 pm

Many thanks, Shawn. Much appreciated.

For anyone else who might not have visited, here's today's tutorial which takes its cue from one of Andrew Kramer's for creating plausible volumetric lighting and adapts it for use in Motion, in the process discovering a pretty nifty trick for creating an expression-type parenting situation:

And here's an earlier tutorial which looks at volumetric lighting from a different but equally interesting perspective:

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jul 11, 2014 at 9:45:06 pm

These are golden!
Thank you!

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2014 at 9:58:23 pm

Thanks, Richard :)

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jul 12, 2014 at 11:51:32 pm

Good job! Looking forward to watching them all.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 11, 2014 at 3:39:37 pm

Thanks for sharing this. Interesting to see FCP X and Motion as part of a more advanced workflow. I just wish Motion had expressions and support for Trapcode Particular, which, in my honest opinion, is the best particle emitter out there.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 11, 2014 at 5:12:17 pm

[David Mathis] "...Trapcode Particular, which, in my honest opinion, is the best particle emitter out there."

Have your tried X-Particles? You need a supported 3D application to run it. But in terms of speed, power and flexibility, it runs circles around Particular. Not to say that you should jettison Particular, but the combination has the potential to REALLY elevate your work.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 11, 2014 at 6:36:31 pm

[Shawn Miller] "You need a supported 3D application to run it."

you had me excited until I read that.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:19:54 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "[Shawn Miller] "You need a supported 3D application to run it."

you had me excited until I read that."

Understandable, 3D "stuff" can seem pretty daunting at first. But from a purely motion graphics point of view, it's not so bad. Depending on how deep you want to get, the basics of 3D animation are about the same as AE or Motion; set keyframes along a timeline, use tweening to refine (talking about animated text and graphics here). You might even find some things a lot faster and easier to do in 3D. The combination of X-Particles and Particular can be incredibly powerful, you just have to pay the 3D tax to get there. Well worth a try IMO. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:37:00 pm

hey totally - I was mad for flint particles in the day, those things were incredible as realtime. Squirting a rainbow through and hitting them with force objects and stuff.

and I did go fairly mad for 3DS max until I realised I should have learnt cinema 4D and I basically went off in a huff. annnd that was around ten years ago.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jul 11, 2014 at 7:50:38 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "hey totally - I was mad for flint particles in the day, those things were incredible as realtime. Squirting a rainbow through and hitting them with force objects and stuff.

and I did go fairly mad for 3DS max until I realised I should have learnt cinema 4D and I basically went off in a huff. annnd that was around ten years ago."

Yeah, things were definitely more complicated then... you might not even believe how much easier and faster these applications have gotten. Would the higher billable rates be enough to entice you into trying again? A friend of mine just got paid 2k US to make a 30 second video of spinning logos (I think it took an hour to make)... just sayin'. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 11, 2014 at 9:02:43 pm

[David Mathis] "I just wish Motion had expressions"

Out of interest, what common operations do you undertake where you feel the lack of expressions in Motion?

Not that I don't also wish that Motion had them ... but there might be other ways of achieving what you're looking for with the existing toolset. Possibly.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jul 12, 2014 at 3:37:55 pm

1. If then conditions. For example, have particles per second be set to 0 at a certain time, or position of another layer; could also have the particles move in the opposite direction of another layer, such as a text layer.

2. The ability to add sliders to add to an expression. For example, have an object move around like it is a bit crazy. Then with the slider controls I can keyframe the values that go into the random expression.

For example: wiggle(Freq,Amp)
Then have have slider for the frequency and amplitude (amount). I could keyframe the value or add a random expression to make things more interesting. I could have a minimum and maximum frequency, same goes for amplitude. The random expression would then determine what the amplitude and frequency is at any given moment.

Hope this clarify things. I do like Motion, guess I do not have a good understanding of parameters.

Return to posts index

Chris Northcross
on Jul 12, 2014 at 5:55:47 pm

"The ability to add sliders to add to an expression. For example, have an object move around like it is a bit crazy. Then with the slider controls I can keyframe the values that go into the random expression."

That sounds like something you could set up using rigging and randomize behaviors unless i'm misunderstanding something.

"Whether you think you can or can't, you're right."

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on Jul 13, 2014 at 11:12:46 am
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on Jul 13, 2014 at 11:26:12 am

[David Mathis] "1. If then conditions. For example, have particles per second be set to 0 at a certain time, or position of another layer; could also have the particles move in the opposite direction of another layer, such as a text layer."

Not sure I quite understand your instructions here but it all sounds pretty doable with some simple linking - remember that you can have a negative link Scale for example which will invert the result but there are many other tricks you can pull to achieve this kind of thing.

[David Mathis] "2. The ability to add sliders to add to an expression. For example, have an object move around like it is a bit crazy. Then with the slider controls I can keyframe the values that go into the random expression."

In this case, you can do exactly the same thing in Motion, given that the sliders in a Motion rig are essentially identical to Ae sliders. You can very simply rig the Wriggle or Randomize Amount value to a slider (Widget) and keyframe away to your heart's content if that's what you want to do (although it doesn't strike me as being an entirely necessary process as you could simply animate the Amount directly with the Wriggle behavior.)

On a general note, although the theoretical limit of what you can achieve with expressions is clearly infinite, in practical terms you can achieve some satisfyingly complex results in Motion with the right combination of interacting behaviors. Remember that linking to null objects can give you a lot more flexibility that you might at first think and is often the key to creating complex interactions - for an example, have a look at what I did with parenting in this tutorial (from about 9 minutes in):

EDIT: Just for fun, why not also try out Custom behaviors? For example, you could decide you want your Wriggle to turn alternately on and off every second. Create a Custom Behavior for a null object that animates its opacity from zero to 100% over 1 second, set its Interpolation to Constant and its After Last Keyframe behavior to Repeat. Now you have a ready-made trigger to which you can link your Wriggle Amount. If you want the on/off pattern to happen faster or slower simply shorten oR lengthen your Custom behavior. Remember you can always save this to the Favorites library so you can call it up at any time for any similar purpose.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]