FORUMS: list search recent posts

Where to post....Mac Network question

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rich Rubasch
Where to post....Mac Network question
on Jul 9, 2014 at 5:31:17 pm

I have one MacPro (2012) on Mavericks running Final Cut and CC. We connect to other Macs thru the network and I could easily set the scratch disc to another users RAID. All other Macs are still on Mountain Lion.

If I try to set the scratch disc in Final Cut or even to export a file out of Quicktime Player I MUST be in the panel or column view in order to see the directories on networked drives. Any other view and I get a white screen....this is on the Mavericks machine trying to connect to any other machine that is running Mountain Lion.

Anyone else seeing this?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

John Davidson
Re: Where to post....Mac Network question
on Jul 9, 2014 at 7:16:09 pm

[Rich Rubasch] "We connect to other Macs thru the network and I could easily set the scratch disc to another users RAID. All other Macs are still on Mountain Lion."

Are you connecting via Bounjour in finder to another RAID connected to another users mac, or are you connecting with gigabit to a central storage area?

Bob Zelin, I summon thee!

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 11, 2014 at 2:07:21 am

Again, just curious if anyone has mixed OS MacPros and is seeing this behavior only on when the Mavericks try to connect to the Mountain Lions.

It is Gigabit to another mac via Bonjour. Something changed in how the connection works for sure in Mavericks. We've been connecting this way for 8 years and this is the first time we've seen this change in behavior.

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 11, 2014 at 2:16:36 am

Kind of amazed you could set a scratch disk over bonjour connection ever. And no, we haven't experienced the issue you're having. There were early networking quirks with Mavericks initially but those have been smoothed out. Generally speaking we don't ever connect to anything via Bonjour, gigabit speed requires a more hardcore connection I think. Bonjour is going to be affected by everything else going on on your network. Internet, downloads, cloud syncing, etc.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jul 9, 2014 at 9:44:39 pm

eeh, Rich knows how to contact me, if he wants.

Bob

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on Jul 15, 2014 at 9:09:01 pm

Seems this issue goes back to 2013 and early Mavericks installs and continues into July of 2014! We just installed Mavericks on another MacPro and we now both have the same issue, whether we are looking at each other or at a Mountain Lion MacPro.

Humphffffff!

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jul 15, 2014 at 9:13:31 pm

Bob, wouldn't it be smarter to for him to stop relying on what we've explained is a much weaker connection and directly link his macs via AFP?

Something like this?

http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/how_connect_external_macs_afp_lion

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]