FORUMS: list search recent posts

Best RAID drive for RAW Cimena DNG

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Best RAID drive for RAW Cimena DNG
on Jun 29, 2014 at 6:18:49 pm

I currently own a Blackmagic Cinema Camera and looking for a reasonably priced storage solution. I mainly shoot in the RAW format. Considering a RAID drive, looking for advice on enclosure and drives. I have the old school Mac Pro so thunderbolt connection is not an option at this time. Is it possible to go with Ethernet or would another connection be a better option? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

Core Software:
FCP X 10.1.2
Motion 5.1.1
Resolve 11
Compressor 4.1.2

OS X 10.9.3 Mavericks

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: Best RAID drive for RAW Cimena DNG
on Jun 29, 2014 at 7:37:54 pm

ESATA won't cut it. Not even sure GIGe Ethernet is fast enough. Fibre might be. CalDigit HDOne or similar. But that's a lot of money to throw at old tech.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

John Davidson
on Jun 29, 2014 at 7:55:14 pm

Hey David, I have an extra ATTO R680 and a 24 TB 8 drive ProAvio RAID we no longer use just collecting dust. The RAID gets about 400-500 Mbps read/write speeds if I remember correctly. I'd be happy to discuss sending it to you to try out if you'd like.

John Davidson | President / Creative Director | Magic Feather Inc.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 29, 2014 at 8:20:00 pm

Promise Pegasus 2... with TB2... 800-900 in throughput...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on Jun 29, 2014 at 8:46:51 pm

Mitch, he said Thunderbolt WAS NOT an option.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 29, 2014 at 8:51:44 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Jun 29, 2014 at 8:52:02 pm

Thunderbolt to Ethernet adapter possible? Thanks for the input everyone.

Return to posts index

David Roth Weiss
on Jun 29, 2014 at 10:23:17 pm

If it were possible, you would be getting approximately 90MB/sec max over Ethernet from a RAID array capable of 1000MB/sec. Probably not your best use of resources.

A SAS connected 8-drive RAID such as the one John has offered you is your best bet.

David Roth Weiss
ProMax Systems
Burbank
DRW@ProMax.com

Sales | Integration | Support

David is a Creative COW contributing editor and a forum host of the Apple Final Cut Pro forum.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 30, 2014 at 3:38:47 pm

Sorry, missed that. Thanks Shane...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 29, 2014 at 11:06:26 pm

your real question is "what is the cheapest way I can do this".
John Davidson's offer is the best offer you are going to get, if price is the main consideration. You need a REAL RAID array, with a REAL disk drive host adaptor (cost over $900 for the card), and a minimum of 8 disk drives. I don't care what brand you get - those are your specs for your Mac Pro to accomplish what you want.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
bobzelin@icloud.com

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:54:09 am

Are planning to edit directly with the raw DNG files? Generally that's not recommended. Also X doesn't interpret the raw information. It just imports the clips with baked info - sometimes with incorrect levels. Have you looked into using Resolve in a workflow to render the clips into MOVs?

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2014 at 2:00:37 am

I plan to render out proxies from Resolve first, edit in FCP X then back to Resolve first. Will apply a LUT as well. Going to use the workflow as Denver Riddle uses.

I am an avid user of FCP X!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 30, 2014 at 12:26:33 pm

[David Mathis] "I plan to render out proxies from Resolve first, edit in FCP X then back to Resolve first. Will apply a LUT as well. "

That's a good plan. An alternate would be to use Resolve to create 2.5K ProRes4444 "master" movie files with the BMD Film gamma profile applied. Then bring those into FCP X. Create FCP X proxies if you need to.

Now FCP X 10.1.2 will let you apply a BMD Film LUT to those right inside the app. Effectively this gives you files that work much the same as Log-C clips from an Alexa. And you still have the 2.5K overscan space to use for clean downsampling or pan/zoom/scan within a 2K or HD raster.

You could theoretically stay completely inside FCP X (after the initial conversion) if you felt the color grading tools were adequate for your needs.

FWIW - here are some alternate ideas I threw together in the past for working with these files.

http://digitalfilms.wordpress.com/2012/11/11/blackmagic-cinema-camera-post-...

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on Jun 30, 2014 at 5:14:50 am

[David Mathis] "I currently own a Blackmagic Cinema Camera and looking for a reasonably priced storage solution. I mainly shoot in the RAW format. Considering a RAID drive, looking for advice on enclosure and drives. I have the old school Mac Pro so thunderbolt connection is not an option at this time. Is it possible to go with Ethernet or would another connection be a better option? Any advice is greatly appreciated."

This is the 2.5K camera? I don't know why you're getting all these responses about needing 8+ drives. This isn't uncompressed 16-bit 4K DPX or something, it's 2.5K raw. It's only about 120 MB/s — a single 7200 RPM drive will do that, though not solidly enough to rely on. Your cheapest option on an old Mac Pro would be to get a USB 3 or eSATA card, a dual drive enclosure, and a couple of 7200 RPM drives, and run the thing RAID 0 (this would work, by the numbers, though I haven't used that particular model). Of course, you'd want to keep really good backups of footage and probably store project files, etc. somewhere else with RAID 0, since you'd lose everything if either drive died.

You could also just use Disk Utility to set up software RAID 0 across two or three internal drives, if all your footage will fit into that sort of storage space.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 30, 2014 at 12:17:29 pm

[Chris Kenny] "This is the 2.5K camera? I don't know why you're getting all these responses about needing 8+ drives. This isn't uncompressed 16-bit 4K DPX or something, it's 2.5K raw."

It's not about taxing the drives, but rather the efficacy of most NLEs in how they deal with DNG image strings.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:47:02 pm

Oliver,

Just read the article. Some of the workflows I heard of, others I have never knew about or considered before. Thank you for another clear, concise and to the point article as always. Thank you for the sound advice as well. Thank you to all as well. This is why I love the Cow and this forum in particular.

I do have one quick question, to which I believe I might have the answer but just want to confirm it. I am going to adopt the workflow as suggested in your post and apply the LUT inside of FCP X. Should this LUT be removed before going back to Resolve for final color grading or can I leave in place and remove it in Resolve?

Again, thank you to all that have responded.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:49:37 pm

[David Mathis] "Should this LUT be removed before going back to Resolve for final color grading or can I leave in place and remove it in Resolve?"

I would presume so, but I haven't tested a roundtrip yet with FCP X 10.1.2 and R11 Beta. I'm not sure if the LUT comes through in the FCPXML as a node or is stripped off. Either way would be fine, as long as it isn't baked in.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 30, 2014 at 1:52:15 pm

Yes, the camera would be of the 2.5K variety. I was looking at products offered by G Technology but very open to any suggestion. I might talk with John Davidson, sounds like he might have a very good option. I take it that USB 3.0 would outpace Firewire 800 if my understanding is correct. I do have additional internal drive docks available in the Mac Pro but thinking external would be a better approach.

Look forward to any additional advice, even from Mr. Tim Wilson himself.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]