Scripps "FCPX In Action" added
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:14:48 pm

http://www.apple.com/final-cut-pro/in-action/scripps/

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
Re: Scripps "FCPX In Action" added
on Jun 27, 2014 at 8:43:38 pm

(personal post time)

I really like this story. It neatly puts in context Year Two of this forum, when the consensus became, "You know what, there are people that this thing really makes sense for," followed by either "but not for me," or "including me."

The remaining tension was whether the "me" or "not me" people would grant legitimacy to the other, and I think Year Three settled into a grudging "I guess so," while also continuing the movement that actually started in Year One toward other, ultimately more interesting topics. At least to me, but then, I haven't edited professionally in coming up on 15 years.

(Hard to believe that Year Four just started! The years going to spring of course -- Year One being April-June 2011 to April-June 2012, then spring 2012-2013 as Year Two, 2013-2014 as Year Three, and now Year Four just begun.)

The FCPX In Action story doesn't need to justify itself toward other workflows to establish its professional bona fides. One could use the same workflows for some kinds of cinematic projects using the same native support for other formats, ideally one or two of 'em at a time, and especially well-suited for workflows that don't need intimate connections to After Effects, Pro Tools, or even some parts of the FCP 7 toolset that might better be handled by Premiere Pro -- and all of this without hurling the "fossil refusing to adapt" epithets that marked Year One here, and which still crop up outside the consensus now and again.

As a guy who's written acres of stories like this, I think it's also just a really nice piece of work. Apple used to really excel at these, then rolled over and yielded the floor to Adobe, who for years was the only company getting these right.

(And still does them bes, imot. Avid actually used to do better than either Apple or Adobe at thesein a time when Adobe wasn't doing many at all, 10-ish years ago...but until Avid takes care of some other business, we won't know the extent to which they're back in the customer story big leagues.

In the context of the World Cup, I was going to say the Premier League, but that might be construed as PREMIERE League. :-) That would have been an unintentional pun, I assure you.)

I'd love to see this FCPX in Action story as another shift of the discussion in its most helpful direction, imo, to exploring the specific workflows X supports and enables, while also acknowledging the ones it doesn't.

(personal post ended)

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 28, 2014 at 12:47:02 am

[Tim Wilson] "It neatly puts in context ... while also continuing the movement that actually started in Year One toward other, ultimately more interesting topics. At least to me ..."

Tim,

I, for one, would be interested in reading a longer reflection on your impressions of the shape of the forum, its themes, sub-themes, and their development.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Jun 28, 2014 at 1:00:13 am

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I, for one, would be interested in reading a longer reflection on your impressions of the shape of the forum, its themes, sub-themes, and their development."

Thanks for asking! To be honest, I've mostly only thought about it in real time, so to speak, in reaction to specific posts like the one above. But I think you're right, it's worth thinking through a little more carefully.

Let me chew on this and get back to you. I think it'll be a fun thread for other people to weigh in on too.

Thanks again,
Tim

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]