FORUMS: list search recent posts

Apple stops development of Aperture

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Rick Lang
Apple stops development of Aperture
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:11:17 pm

Aperture and iPhoto to be replaced by the new Photos app in OS X 10.10 Yosemite:

http://www.loopinsight.com/2014/06/27/apple-stops-development-of-aperture/

Although I compared Aperture to Lightroom at the time of their first release and early development, I went with Aperture. Seems like I may have to go with Lightroom after all. Adobe must be thinking, “Thanks, Apple!”

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Apple stops development of Aperture
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:23:27 pm

If they know they're going to be EOL'ing Aperture, I do give them credit for announcing it sooner rather than later- like this fall when Yosemite ships or just before the new app is released next year.

Thank goodness they made special mention of FCP and Logic in the PR. Or I'm sure thousands of lines of speculation would have resulted.

Though the release makes it clear that you'll be able to migrate from Aperture to Photos- what sort of relative feature set Photos will have is, of course, the BIG question.

It's hard to imagine a single app squaring the divide between iPhoto and Aperture though.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:32:51 pm

I had a hunch that Photos was going to replace both iPhoto and Aperture given what they demo's.
I do hope it isn't a reduced feature set overall though.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 27, 2014 at 5:35:18 pm

Here's what I don't get. How do they launch Yosemite this Fall without Photos?

I guess they leave iPhoto in there for now and then update it with a 10.10.1 or something.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:19:18 pm

and from Macworld
http://www.macworld.com/article/2375212/apple-retires-aperture-and-iphoto-t...
"While Aperture development (beyond minor updates to ensure OS X Yosemite compatibility) will cease"

So one might guess that iPhoto and Aperture will maintain Yosemite compatibility through some transition period.

BTW one can still buy Aperture and iPhoto in the app store.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:34:54 pm

[Craig Seeman] "I had a hunch that Photos was going to replace both iPhoto and Aperture given what they demo's.
I do hope it isn't a reduced feature set overall though."

If it's true that Apple is working on a way for users to migrate their Aperture libraries to Lightroom then I think it's a safe bet that Photos (once again, thanks for the confusingly generic name Apple) won't satisfy 'power' Aperture users.

Return to posts index

Rick Lang
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:41:13 pm

If there’s any silver lining in this for Aperture users, the Photos app on the desktop could have an ‘Advanced’ preference option that turned on a lot of extra functionality and menu options compared to the typical desktop consumer. Of course the desktop version of Photos will likely be a superset of the iOS versions of Photos. If that’s the way the transition is done, the maybe the change is not a concern. We’ll see later this year.

Interesting to compare to the relationship of Garageband and Logic Pro as well as iMovie and Final Cut Pro. There are other threads on the topic. But until today, I would have compared iPhoto and Aperture in the same way. To think iPhoto and Aperture are both replaced by an application with its roots in iOS does give me less certainty that Garageband and Logic Pro could not just as easily find themselves replaced by an as yet unknown app.

At the heart of all this concern is the nagging evidence that Apple has lost its way in its relentless pursuit of very high margin products at the cost of serving the high-end niche for any of its software or hardware (the new Mac Pro running against that argument though). It mystifies me why a company that has amassed huge cash reserves, can’t find any pride and glory in supporting excellence in the products that don’t garner mass appeal. You know I’m a Mac addict, but quo vadis?

Rick Lang

iMac 27” 2.8GHz i7 16GB

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 27, 2014 at 6:46:47 pm

It may be that both iPhoto and Aperture were both going to require just too much recoding to work at the core of this iCloud-based photo solution.

Perhaps the critical decision was made to just start from scratch. Combining the apps and making everyone happy will be an ENORMOUS challenge though. The type of challenge I don't think they've met before.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on Jun 27, 2014 at 7:06:42 pm

In the Macworld article:

"The Photos app, previewed at the 2014 Worldwide Developers Conference, will become the company’s main photographic focus for both professionals and consumers. As it grows, Apple intends the single app to serve the needs of both consumers and professionals. (That will be an interesting challenge; it will be intriguing to see how Apple puts all of its photographic eggs in a single basket.)"

So there's the "as it grows" caveat.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 27, 2014 at 7:49:35 pm

[Rick Lang] "Adobe must be thinking, “Thanks, Apple!”
"

Yeah, and we'll all be saying "thanks Apple" in a sarcastic tone for forcing us into the damn subscription for $10/month. Yeah, thanks Apple...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]