FORUMS: list search recent posts

Resolve 11 First Thoughts

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Resolve 11 First Thoughts
on Jun 24, 2014 at 4:29:57 pm

The day (one of them) is finally here. Just installed it on my system. So far everything is smooth sailing, just brought some footage in from the camera, loaded on computer, brought into Resolve, made proxies and exported an XML. Brought that into FCP X, so far just basic edits and all seems to be working well. I love the new RAW settings, and dual monitor layout. I agree that working in FCP X is faster since there are no tracks. Tracks are starting to feel a little weird now. The deliver page is different but gives more options now. Personal preference is advanced for most projects. Might do some finishing tasks in FCP X as Red Giant Universe is not supported in Resolve at present.

Game changer? Could be, depending on your workflow and this certainly looks like Resolve could take some market share of all the available NLE offerings currently available. New interface will take some getting used to but should not take to long.

My two cents.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
Re: Resolve 11 First Thoughts
on Jun 24, 2014 at 10:27:22 pm

It sports the biggest audio mixer of all time. And it doesn't appear to be resizeable.

I'm going to get really pissed off if I try to scroll the timeline up and down and it goes side to side again. WTF? Can I please scroll up and down without grabbing the little bars over on the right? Premiere has this issue too, but there's a check box in preferences.

Bringing in multi cam clips leave me with video but no audio.

Dual screen mode is awesome.

Clips still playback jittery and with crackling audio just like resolve 9 and 10. I can't seem to get this to work very often. This should be pretty easy. I've got 32gigs and a 680mx in the late 2012 iMac. Only thing better is a MacPro or the minor haswell bump iMac.

Doesn't appear to support .caf files.

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:25:59 am

I'm getting all kinds of weird stuff on my Retina MBP. While I did expect a 1.0 editor, this more weirdness than I thought.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:27:00 am

I wouldn't call it a 1.0 editor. 1.0 editors are missing things like dynamic trimming, audio cross fades, and transitions that can start or end on the cut point.

Return to posts index

Tapio Haaja
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:42:36 am
Last Edited By Tapio Haaja on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:43:09 am

It seems to have lot of great features but the thing that I can't do basic video playback without random jittery and audio crackling with my top end 2013 Retina Macbook Pro is show stopper. So for me it'll remain just color corrector until these things get solved.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:48:15 am

It's been that way since they introduced audio. I'm actually having a discussion with them about it right now. Try this, set everything to 23.976. I get no audio crackle with 23.976 footage in a 23.976 project.

Or try your project without playback through a BMD device. I get no audio crackle that way either.

But 29.97 through my UltraStudio Express is junk audio. Is that what you're hearing?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:52:38 am

Also, you can't move the mouse during playback. I guess it just isn't allowed. But it'll drop frames if you move the mouse around. Which is what gives the jittery playback. And I'm always moving the mouse around during playback in FCP X. Bad habit I guess.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 25, 2014 at 10:33:17 am

[Bret Williams] "And I'm always moving the mouse around during playback in FCP X. Bad habit I guess."

I think it's a great habit. And it's another thing that can make X so much faster and efficient.

R11 is a 1.0 beta software from a company with a shallow pedigree in editing software, so we should not expect too much right now. I will have it as a finishing system for those few jobs that simply can't finish in X and just to learn it for freelance opportunities.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on Jun 25, 2014 at 12:13:46 pm
Last Edited By Ronny Courtens on Jun 25, 2014 at 12:16:42 pm

Agreed with every point made here. But I like what I see. Resolve has been a perfect companion to our FCP X setup from the start and now this combination looks even better. IMO not a game changer for editing yet, but it does have potential as a serious contender for other track-based NLEs.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:53:11 pm

[Ronny Courtens] "Agreed with every point made here. But I like what I see. Resolve has been a perfect companion to our FCP X setup from the start and now this combination looks even better. "

This is all I was really hoping for.

It's much better than a workflow with a lot of back and forth during changes.

At least this way, I'll be able to make minor changes in Resolve while starting color correction.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 1:56:00 pm

I agree. As for color grading and finishing it is a nice system. For now FCP X will be used for editing, mainly a rough cut. Prefer trimming in keyframing in Resolve, two weak points with X for now.

For finishing, is it best to build the tile sequence in Motion with the same resolution as RAW files, import that in Resolve at the end? Is a better alternative to render the movie out of Resolve, XML, and finish up with a Motion, FCP X workflow?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 25, 2014 at 2:19:29 pm

I guess it depends on your acquisition format. I played with round-tripping from X to R10 and it was pretty good. I just sent the XML file over and then back to X when done. Worked pretty well. Hope to get a chance to download the beta R11 today. I wonder if there is a way to add handles to the corrected clips on the way back to FCPX?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 3:13:36 pm

Acquisition will done in Cinema DNG RAW, with resolution of 2.5K. This equates to an image size of 2400x1350. From there I would render out proxies at a resolution of 1920x1080 or 2K as the original resolution is something FCP X does not recognize.

I might do trimming inside of Resolve in addition to any keyframing, just looks like a better choice for those tasks. From there XML back to X for title work and some additional finishing tasks. Right now Universe does not appear to be supported in Resolve.

No plans for any VFX work, any effects will be practical, even those will be used only when required.

I assume that Motion will work with material that has been transcoded with the original resolution, though ProRes 422 will be used. If this is correct that material would be edited in with Resolve, then output to whatever format is required.

If there is an easier or better workflow I am all ears.

I try to slay as many glitch gremlins as possible before and during production yet they to love to multiply not to mention love wreaking havoc in post.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:40:04 pm

[David Mathis] "...I would render out proxies at a resolution of 1920x1080 or 2K as the original resolution is something FCP X does not recognize."

Just curious what you mean by this, David. Are you saying that FCPX doesn't recognize non-standard frame sizes?

Thanks,

Shawn

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: solve 11 First Thoughts
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:54:20 pm

It will not create a project with a resolution that is not standard but will give me other resolution options. Not sure if I am explaining this correctly.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:08:15 pm

You can create any size you like in FCP X. Here's one inspired by Tommy Tutone.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:43:29 pm

I knew I was missing something simple. Operator error on my part. Excuse me while I wash the egg off of my face.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:36:12 pm

No egg. That wasn't introduced until either 10.0.9 or maybe even 10.1.

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:43:24 pm

Okay, I thought that was odd. :-)

Shawn

Return to posts index

Jeff Markgraf
on Jun 26, 2014 at 12:44:09 am

Project name should be "Jenny."

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 26, 2014 at 2:01:19 am

I wonder if Tommy Tutone is responsible for the whole "555" extension on TV.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 26, 2014 at 7:46:46 am

[Bret Williams] "I wonder if Tommy Tutone is responsible for the whole "555" extension on TV."

According to Wikipedia the use off "555" started back in the '60's.

Return to posts index

Michael Gissing
on Jun 25, 2014 at 11:42:04 pm

Scott, on the deliver page when you render as individual files you get the option of handles. Don't export as a single file unless you want to bake in the Resolve dissolves wipes & titles etc.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:03:26 pm

Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit premature to be making your final decision on a beta?

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:20:45 pm

Being able to create a generator, tile, effects in Motion for later use in X is a of a huge benefit not to mention time saver. This is not to say that Resolve is a poor choice for an NLE. My apologies if it came across this way.

Editing in X feels and often is faster then with a track based editor. This is not to say Resolve 11 is a bad a choice for editing. In fact it is great editor. Would love to see additional OFX support but I expect that to improve.

I could do all the editing in there then move over to X when needed for some finishing tasks. Universe is not yet supported in Resolve but that could also change.

I do like Resolve and I also like FCP X, just comes down to which is the better tool for the job. Will be doing some basic editing this week with Resolve, just need to get used to tracks again.

I try to slay as many glitch gremlins as possible before and during production yet they to love to multiply not to mention love wreaking havoc in post.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:59:04 pm

To play with any new app like this, or premiere I often XML over a currently finished FCP X project. Thankfully with Resolve this is a one step process. But in doing so it reveals all the things that Resolve doesn't support that I use quite a bit.

1. Sound effects and jingles (free music) from the Apple SFX libraries that are built into FCP X. Resolve doesn't even seem to support the .caf (core audio file) format. Neither does Premiere.
2. Motion Templates - whether it be transitions, something custom, or something from MotionVFX.
3. Generators in X - are sometimes simple, but great. I just finished a graphic kinetic piece that was too bland without adding a bokeh overlay and a vignette. Resolve really doesn't have much in the way of transitions or effects yet sans a bunch of 1970s wipes that George Lucas wouldn't even use. They actually highlight these on the web page believe it or not.

And while there are some Generators in 11, I doubt they'd carry over to X. Especially the title shape generators, since there aren't any in X. But I'll have to give that a test.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:55:10 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:03:57 pm

Just for fun I added a bunch of generators to an empty timeline. They will not export. The same applies to any Resolve generated title.

* EDIT *

Transitions do not carry over to FCP X either. Is it possible to leave custom transitions in the FCP X project, grade then send back to X for additional work as required?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 25, 2014 at 4:55:09 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:05:49 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Am I the only one that thinks it's a bit premature to be making your final decision on a beta?"

Agreed. It's very promising, but is still a work in progress. Looking forward to the actual release version.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 5:44:40 pm

So this means this is like FCP 10.1.2 but with tracks? :-)

Evil grin and laugh included.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:12:11 pm

[David Mathis] "So this means this is like FCP 10.1.2 but with tracks? :-)
"

More like 10.0 with tracks. ;-)

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:40:12 pm

I'd say it's closer to FCP 8, without multi cam, but with an FCP X look and a an extreme update to the 3 way color corrector.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:45:23 pm

Oh why oh why to other editing platforms insist on stopping playback when you click somewhere in the timeline!!!!!!! Premiere does this too. Send a request they said... back in CS6 days when they were advertising it doesn't stop for anything. Except clicking I guess.

And if I scroll my mouse up and down while hovering over the timeline, I DO NOT want it to go left and right. As far as I can tell the only way to scroll up or down is to use the little bar on the right.

Can I turn off the zoom in/out effect when I scroll my mouse when hovered over the canvas too? AE does this as well and it drives me batty when I touch my mouse and it zooms into 5000% or something.

For that matter, is there a zoom tool in resolve? I don't think there is. I need to be able to marquee zoom into things. I just do.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:48:03 pm

[Bret Williams] "For that matter, is there a zoom tool in resolve? I don't think there is. I need to be able to marquee zoom into things. I just do."

Send feedback. It is, after all, beta software, and the folks at BMD are quite responsive.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 25, 2014 at 6:54:53 pm

Been playing with R11 today. Certainly a very beta product. All sorts of strangeness and I don't see huge advantages to it as an editor. Tracks suddenly feel confining.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 25, 2014 at 7:03:05 pm

[Scott Witthaus] " Tracks suddenly feel confining."

I agree! Today the only things that need a track is a train or roller coaster. My two cents.

"I am no longer pixilated!" -- Dave, former nut house patient

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 25, 2014 at 7:11:06 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Certainly a very beta product. All sorts of strangeness and I don't see huge advantages to it as an editor."

The integration with the CC features of Resolve will be very nice once the beta issues get ironed out. Despite the hope from folks still pining for FCP 8 (and those who dislike the FCPX timeline) I really don't think R11 is intended to replace "established" NLE's. I think BMD's (current) intention is to work well with all of them. And I think they particularly want to work well with FCP X. You want a stable, proven NLE with tracks? Pr or MC it is for the time being.

[Scott Witthaus] "Tracks suddenly feel confining."

Yep. Funny how that happens isn't it? ;-)

Return to posts index

Jamie Franklin
on Jun 25, 2014 at 8:38:26 pm

[Charlie Austin] "And I think they particularly want to work well with FCP X."

Where is this particular demand coming from?

Just from my spectrum of things - 3 years and I have never been delivered a show (among many) or seen a workflow that involved Fcx. From series television, films, foundation spots, ads, epks, demo reels or even let alone know anyone that has.

Surprisingly, I'm still seeing FC7 regularly...but it is almost always: Avid.

Fcx is used to make blurays. So that's progress of a kind.

Blackmagic and Apple Cersi and Jaime Lannister here?

What gives

Return to posts index

David Lawrence
on Jun 25, 2014 at 7:59:11 pm

[Bret Williams] "And if I scroll my mouse up and down while hovering over the timeline, I DO NOT want it to go left and right. As far as I can tell the only way to scroll up or down is to use the little bar on the right.

Can I turn off the zoom in/out effect when I scroll my mouse when hovered over the canvas too? AE does this as well and it drives me batty when I touch my mouse and it zooms into 5000% or something."

This isn't a problem if you use USB Overdrive:

http://www.usboverdrive.com/USBOverdrive/Information.html

It lets you customize every button and wheel action on your mouse and you can create different actions for different applications. I use it with the Logitech Anywhere Mouse MX and I have complete control over scrolling and zooming in Premiere (and everything else I use). It's a great tool and well worth the low price. Highly recommended.

publicmattersgroup.com
http://lnkd.in/Cfz92F
facebook.com/dlawrence
twitter.com/dhl
vimeo.com/dlawrence/albums

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 26, 2014 at 7:28:25 pm

Do you have Smart Zoom unchecked in OSX System Preferences/Mouse? Double tap the mouse when on and it zooms otherwise. Drive me nuts. Also have Scroll direction natural turned off to get normal behavior.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 25, 2014 at 7:08:55 pm

[David Mathis] "Game changer? Could be ..."

David,

This is beta software, and from my little bit of testing it seems we can't even begin to discuss "game changing" until they get playback sorted. Many people view playback to be a core feature in an NLE.

Still, an interesting experiment so far; strides since V10, but some ways to go.

[David Mathis] " I agree that working in FCP X is faster since there are no tracks."

You're agreeing with yourself here, but thanks for including us.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:20:45 pm

What footage frame rate and what device are you using?

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 25, 2014 at 9:56:38 pm

[Bret Williams] "What footage frame rate and what device are you using?"

Bret,

I just pulled in some H264 from a Canon DSLR (1080p2398).

If I use the mixer during playback, it stutters and breaks up sound (and it seems to be updating the waveforms in the timeline).

(Also, the mixer doesn't add keyframes to the audio unless you first add one keyframe manually, but that's a different bug.)

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 26, 2014 at 2:00:04 am

I honestly don't think the whole mixer thing works yet. Why is it so F'n HUGE? Really, I'm not adjusting faders with my feet.

Not sure about that keyframe thing. I keyframe audio manually. Seems a bit more precise, but I know others like the whole organic thing.

If you move the mouse in anyway during playback in 11, even if you've found the magical settings to achieve perfect playback, the mouse will screw it up. And it certainly can't update faders while playing back. So yeah, this whole playback thing is a biggie. And I'm not sure why they have a problem with it. They're able to use the GPU to do amazing things in real time. Maybe it's so dedicated to the color stuff there isn't enough left for the interface and it interferes. I think if you have multiple GPUs you can dedicate one to the GUI.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Resolve 11 First Thoughts -- Keyframes
on Jun 26, 2014 at 3:14:06 pm

Nice to see of having the option to open the keyframe graph directly inside the timeline. There is, however, room for improvement. Unless for some odd reason I am in The Twilight Zone and missing something, there is no way to select multiple keyframes at once. Motion lets you do it, as does After Effects, so this is a bit odd. Then again, the software is in beta. Perhaps when the real deal is here, this will be addressed. For now I think FCP X is an excellent editor.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Resolve 11 Additional Thoughts
on Jun 26, 2014 at 6:31:34 pm

After some further basic tests:

1. Can not export generators from Resolve to FCP X, same goes for titles and likewise FCP X generators do not go over to Resolve. No surprises here.

2. Unable to select multiple keyframes for editing or deleting. Motion and After Effects allow for this. Keyframing in Resolve is better but would like to see a separate keyframe graph and the ability to select multiple keyframes.

3. It did crash on me today, but given this is beta at the moment this can be expected.

What is improved and useful stuff:

Camera RAW settings
Dual monitor support
Trimming
Audio waveforms
Edit index
Additional render options

Depending on the project, some finishing work will be done in Final Cut Pro X with title work and motion graphics with Motion, at least for now. Resolve and FCP X are a better match for each other.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]