FORUMS: list search recent posts

Alex4D: Future Final Cut Pro X hidden in iMovie 10.0.3

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Walter Soyka
Alex4D: Future Final Cut Pro X hidden in iMovie 10.0.3
on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:11:48 pm

Alex has some guesses at new features for a future release of FCP X based on the current release of iMovie:

http://alex4d.com/notes/item/future-fcpx-hidden-in-imovie

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
Re: Alex4D: Future Final Cut Pro X hidden in iMovie 10.0.3
on Jun 20, 2014 at 1:14:19 pm

Is imovie the Tail or the Dog? Who's wagging who?

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 20, 2014 at 2:06:20 pm

It appears versions of FCP X are the engine at the core of iMovie, with essentially a walled-off UI and limited/alternate feature set.

Alex found a version of 10.1 at the core of iMovie 10 released last October- a full 2 months before the FCP X update was released to the public. That pretty much told us about the new combined Library structure.

So it's clear that FCP X is in the driver seat, with pre-release builds being integrated into iMovie updates.

There's not as much new stuff here, but who's to say how far along the next FCP X update was when this code was ported to iMovie.

Interesting stuff though.

The two highlights for from his article are the LUT support and possible XML import/export improvements.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 20, 2014 at 3:03:09 pm

Last year I purchased the LUT Utility from Color Grading Central, so now wondering in the event there is LUT support in the next update (feature not maintenance variety type) what this means going forward. Will one still need the LUT Utility or not? The article was an interesting read and going forward things look to get interesting.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 20, 2014 at 3:06:06 pm

While I think some built in LUT controls are nice, the depth and breadth of LUTs provided by Denver's LUT Utility is pretty hard to match- All the different film stock emulations and variables... It's probably still a good investment.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 20, 2014 at 4:14:58 pm

[David Mathis] "Will one still need the LUT Utility or not?"

Not sure if you've used Arri LogC in FCPX, but it is basically a check box (on or off).

The LogC LUT in FCPX is a fixed LUT. Unless you have one of the gamma profiles in your footage, then FCPX won't allow you to use those LUTs.

LUT Utility allows loading of different LUTS which allows you to change looks as well as provide accuracy.

LUT Utility will still be very useful.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 20, 2014 at 4:17:00 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Alex has some guesses at new features for a future release of FCP X"

Alex is the hero FCPX needs, just not the hero FCPX deserves right now.

.....Or however the saying goes. ;)

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:04:28 pm

The denigrating appellation "FCPX is iMovie Pro" a couple years back ... turns out to be true.

When I introduce it to students who proclaim they have no NLE experience, and are a bit wary of apps like Premiere Pro ... I ask them, "Have you used iMovie, the free app on your Mac?" When they say yes, I tell them "Don't worry, you're ready to start FCPX, which looks very similar. It's kinda like 'iMovie Pro'."

It does point, though, to the scenario where FCPX never really breaks its bonds into a super-featured app ... in the way many had hoped when it came out, e.g. comparing it to the arc taken from FCP 1 to FCP 7.

Already you are seeing posts by people like David Lawrence, who noted that FCPX is a great meta-data-wrangling organizational app for eventual cutting on other NLEs. And some of use who enjoyed the teasing/promise of Resolve 11, imagined cutting in FCPX and finishing in Resolve.

We may have to accept that FCPX will always be its own module, a quick-on-its-feet app that some of us will use for entire productions, and others will use along with a bundle of third-party products ... just another tool in the box.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:26:38 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Jun 20, 2014 at 5:27:28 pm

I dunno, I'd suggest we've already seen more evolution to X in the last 3 years than legacy FCP had in it's decade of active development. While there were feature additions, and eventually Studio cross-platform functionality (parts of which never worked properly), X has already seen one massive foundational change with the 10.1 Library structure.

You're right, it's hard/impossible to say what the "end game" is for FCP X. Is more cross-application support coming ala the old Studio model? Are there more Pro Apps coming to fill out the picture? Does Apple plan to build up the internal feature set so only super-specialized workflows need to go outside? Or does Apple see FCP X as a platform on which 3rd party tools play an important part of filling out the needs of different workflows?

Every NLE in the last decade has wrestled with questions like this, and I don't think anyone has the right answer- at least not for everyone.

At the core of what makes X special is the differences it has from other NLEs- those are the things I'm most keen not to have them give up. That they're preferred or right for everyone isn't possible. I'm glad there's traditional track-based solutions out there, but I'm also glad that there's a different solution available as well.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 20, 2014 at 8:14:21 pm

Marcus, I agree I don't want to see any of the stuff we love about X watered down or pushed back toward conventional track-based apps.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 20, 2014 at 6:07:34 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "The denigrating appellation "FCPX is iMovie Pro" a couple years back ... turns out to be true."

Using that logic, back in the day Symphony should have been called Avid MC Express Pro.....

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 20, 2014 at 8:18:17 pm

Scott, point taken. The iMovie Pro relationship, as Andy notes, is better revised to iMovie as a kind of FCPX Lite. When I say "turns out to be true" I just mean that Alex's observations show there is more than a surface UI relationship between the apps. I love X and never use "iMovie Pro" as a disparaging comment ... which is why I will now drop it altogether in favor of Andy's variation!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:19:55 pm
Last Edited By Andy Neil on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:20:24 pm

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "The denigrating appellation "FCPX is iMovie Pro" a couple years back ... turns out to be true."

I'd say, "iMovie is really FCPX Lite" is a more accurate description. iMovie's code and engine and overall design have changed more due to FCPX than FCPX has changed due to iMovie.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:23:07 pm

I know Alex has peered into the code on multiple occasions but is anyone keep track of how many times his discoveries have eventually blossomed into new features?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 20, 2014 at 7:40:05 pm

I don't think anyone has looked at his 4 blog posts and come up with a consolidated list of what made it into 10.1.

I know he's found a lot more stuff than has actually been implemented. Alex's earliest discoveries around "Collaborative Workflow" guards still haven't made it into the released software yet.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 20, 2014 at 8:12:16 pm

Andy, good point. This Fall I will change my comment to be, "Well, if you've been using iMovie, then you've kinda been working in FCPX-Lite already ... so the transition will be easy!" It really helps the less technically-minded students to hear that it will be pretty easy to get going in the software ... while understanding it is a real Pro app that will handle anything they can throw at it.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 22, 2014 at 5:45:52 pm

Perhaps. But MC's interface feels old and dated, subscription software (CC) 'may not' be the best business model, and that leaves what NLE to fill the 'next' professional industry standard niche?

Start/stop detection in the legacy FCP came from legacy iMovie. The legacy FCP in its last few versions came as a suite that provided a great deal of its power. It was not a single app. The only thing clearly lacking in FCPX is stability and certain annoying interface quirks. When I watch a tutorial by Larry Jordan and he tries twice to remove a selected portion of a clip, that is change the selection to cover the entire clip, gives up, and then manually drags both sides out, I know it's not just me. But these are growing pains not a lack of professional features. It also needs to have no concerns with tons of compounded clips and secondary story lines and a more mature use of roles. But these are growing pains. I keep thinking that if secondary story lines had all the same power and rules as the primary, then you would essentially have the option of tracks, when needed. Expanding and collapsing audio and video and compounds etc are also an interesting track alternative. The fact that there is a connection point is a positive feature over other NLEs. FCP X also needs to round trip and network perfectly with any other industry app that one might need. These are growing pains. There has been no NLE at this age in its development that was this powerful. The same team that works on iMovie works on FCP X. The leader of this team, Randy Ubillos, was creator of Premiere, KeyGrip (later renamed Final Cut Pro) FCP legacy. Many pros shoot with cameras that belong to a family of consumer level or prosumer level product lines.

I think there are two different workflows that are required by two different sets of pros. One is the self contained project - that is stays local to a given computer and one or two people edit the project locally. This is becoming a very common professional workflow. There is so much power to produce a project that looks and feels professional and gets the job done in a timely fashion. The other is the 'Hollywood' workflow that requires an army of experts working on the same project. FCP X is not there yet.

I think the jury is still out because the crime has not yet been committed. FCP legacy is not dead. FCP X has not failed. CC is selling. MC still dominates big budget movies. Resolve has not proven to be a contender yet as a NLE.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:22:02 pm

[Craig Alan] "But MC's interface feels old and dated, subscription software (CC) 'may not' be the best business model, and that leaves what NLE to fill the 'next' professional industry standard niche?"

You presume there will be an industry standard.

Does there have to be?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:43:51 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on Jun 23, 2014 at 2:49:16 pm

Putting my money on Resolve for the moment. Would be interesting if it became the industry standard.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]