FORUMS: list search recent posts

More editorial gripes...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Joshua Pearson
More editorial gripes...
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:27:07 pm

1) Is there a key command for pushing connected clips up or down to change their stacking order? my mouse hand is getting a serious workout from doing this... also, while I am on a tricked-out cylinder, i have a 2-hour timeline and it chugs quite a bit when i move connected clips anywhere... and i find re-ordering b-roll stacks to be a frequent necessity as sometimes, when I want to extend a connected shot at its head or tail, FCPX annoyingly pushes the adjacent shot UP above the extension, which is exactly the opposite of my intention... the shot being extended should rise up... tiresome.

2) Speaking of mouse hand workout... I really really badly wish there were video fade handles directly accessible on the clip, without needing to control V then double click opacity then adjust fade handle... super tiresome. AT least a command to go directly to the opacity control and avoiding the dreaded double click... and while on the subject, sure would a command to nudge those fade handles!...

could i make life easier by putting all this b-roll into a secondary storyline, and then use dissolves? maybe but that presents its own weirdness, and also one seemingly cannot lasso select a few connected clips and command-G them unless they are neatly in the same "lane"... bummer.

Return to posts index

Andy Neil
Re: More editorial gripes...
on Jun 18, 2014 at 6:25:14 pm

[Joshua Pearson] "Is there a key command for pushing connected clips up or down to change their stacking order?"

This is one of the most requested shortcuts. Send feedback to Apple. The more people who do, the more likely we'll get the enhancement.

[Joshua Pearson] "i have a 2-hour timeline and it chugs quite a bit when i move connected clips anywhere"

Without knowing the specifics of your project and it's format and organization, I can't help you with that one. As a general rule, make sure you only have your one library open, make sure your clips are optimized for editing, limit things like compounds which could balloon the size of your project, keep your inspector and effect browsers closed while working.

[Joshua Pearson] "and i find re-ordering b-roll stacks to be a frequent necessity as sometimes, when I want to extend a connected shot at its head or tail, FCPX annoyingly pushes the adjacent shot UP above the extension, which is exactly the opposite of my intention"

I do think you'd benefit more from knowing when to use secondary storylines. If you're trimming connected clips so often that your hand is getting tired from the work, you'd probably be better off putting them into secondary storylines. Just make sure snapping is on and quickly adjust the connected clips so they aren't overlapping and then hit CMD+G. In the future, drop your clips in as connected and wrangle them into secondaries before trimming to make things easier on you going forward. While you're at it, send feedback to Apple to change the behavior of creating a secondary so that it acts like the overwrite to primary storyline function. That's another one I've asked for.

Andy

https://plus.google.com/u/0/107277729326633563425/videos

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: More editorial gripes...
on Jun 18, 2014 at 7:13:16 pm

A small request here as well. Would like to choose the default spatial conform to be none rather than fit in the preferences. Until then I will select multiple clips then make the necessary changes. Now if they will only bring "Send To Motion" life would be great.

Final Cut Pro 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 3, Motion 5.1, Resolve 10, Pixelmator, Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K, 7 to X

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]