FORUMS: list search recent posts

not sure what to make of this

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Alan
not sure what to make of this
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:14:25 am

Dear Apple Education Licensing Program Customer:

Your annual Apple Education Licensing Program (AELP) has expired and, as such, you are no longer eligible to receive major upgrades to your enrolled software. Renewing your license now will reinstate the benefits of AELP, including access to major upgrades to the enrolled software. To reinstate coverage without paying any late fees, your renewal order must be received before ... For your convenience, we are providing you with a list of your expiring agreements.
Please contact your Apple Sales Representative to review your current needs to determine whether or not your coverage requirements have changed.
Final Cut
Number of Units Covered: 30

Considering that Apple has not charged for a single update since the launch of FCP X and considering Apple has made a big effort to keep their entire user base on the same set of software on all apps including OS X, I find this confusing.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: not sure what to make of this
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:32:23 am

I'm not sure I understand the issue. Wouldn't you be required to actively maintain your AELP membership if that's how you purchased the software? Regardless if updates are free or not, I'd think you'd have to maintain enrolment in ALEP to continue to have access to the software.

Maybe I'm not understanding the Program correctly- it's an education volume purchase program, right?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:32:40 am

You are correct, but notice it says "major" updates. Are they going to program the App store to not allow free downloads for any educational license that has expired? The way the AELP worked in the past is that when other customers had to pay for an upgrade, we would get it for free unless the license had expired. Free updates were free regardless.

My point being that I suspect that Apple plans on charging for some future version of FCP X. At that point they need to rename it in some way. Because they do not allow software in the App store to charge for updates. FCP X 10.1 was a point grade and free but it was "major" but maybe not in terms of a license. Problem being FCP X is a brand just like OS X is a brand.

I already funded a second year on our license. I think it was a waste of money. When 10.1 came out there was a lot of expectation it would be a paid update. When Mavericks came out and that was free, Apple refunded the school district a pro rated amount because the yearly subscription for OS X plus Ilife licenses didn't mean anything. But they did not refund for FCP X. I could be wrong but I really doubt they will not allow computers with serial numbers tied to a site license to not do a normal free update via the app store.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2014 at 11:16:33 am

So what happened when you contacted the sales representative?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on Jun 22, 2014 at 4:04:35 pm
Last Edited By Craig Alan on Jun 23, 2014 at 7:55:10 pm

They had no idea what to make of it. Suggested I wait it out and decide if it's worth it to pay the monthly penalty based on the next update. School programs aren't given a yearly budget. We apply for funding and when we get it decide what is the priority.

Guessing that the update would come toward the end of last year, I gambled with about $2500 and renewed the AELP. Waste of money. Apple refunded a pro rated amount toward the OS X (+Ilife) yearly AELP. Because they gave everyone the update for free. But they did not refund any of the FCP AELP. Mav was a "new product"; FCP X 10.1 was a "point upgrade." OK, Apple.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]