FORUMS: list search recent posts

Hey where is FCP 10.1.2?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
David Mathis
Hey where is FCP 10.1.2?
on Jun 17, 2014 at 7:32:09 pm

Been nearly 5 months since the last update. Driving me crazy, so I guess it will be time to sing "99 Bottles of Beer On The Wall" while waiting.

Final Cut Pro 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 3, Motion 5.1, Resolve 10, Pixelmator, Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K, 7 to X

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: Hey where is FCP 10.1.2?
on Jun 17, 2014 at 9:33:29 pm

I think we're VERY close. At 151 days since 10.1.1 (as of today) this is now the longest update interval since FCP X launched. I was putting my money on either today or next Tuesday- so let's see how I made out a week from now.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:18:20 pm

Agreed. Just wishing it comes out soon. Guessing that Resolve 11 is soon to be released. Things could get interesting if they are released at the same time. Might need to get some shades when the message board lights up. :-)

Final Cut Pro 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 3, Motion 5.1, Resolve 10, Pixelmator, Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K, 7 to X

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:21:47 pm

Playing Devil's Advocate, what makes you think there will ever be another FCP X update? Certainly Apple hasn't specified that there would be.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:42:22 pm

It has been well past the average of three months since the last update.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 17, 2014 at 11:58:29 pm

So? How long between Logic updates (before the change to X) or Aperture updates?

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:20:18 am
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:23:25 am

At Roadshows Apple has been running over the last 6 months, they've stated publicly that their goal is to update about every 3-4 months. So there's that.

Anything before X (be it Logic or FCP) in terms of development doesn't seem to have anything to do with the way they're pursuing software development now. It's night and day.

Aperture seems to still be waiting for some big "Aperture X" update, which could come who knows when. It's the last of Apple's remaining Pro Apps looking for a big overhaul.

For the record, FCP X updates so far (feature updates in bold)-

10.0.0 - 2011.06.21 Tues
10.0.1 - 2011.09.20 91 DAYS Tues
10.0.2 - 2011.11.16 57 DAYS Wed
10.0.3 - 2012.01.31 76 DAYS Tues
10.0.4 - 2012.04.10 70 DAYS Tues
10.0.5 - 2012.06.11 62 DAYS Mon
10.0.6 - 2012.10.23 134 DAYS Tues
10.0.7 - 2012.12.06 44 DAYS Thurs
10.0.8 - 2013.03.28 112 DAYS Thurs
10.0.9 - 2013.07.30 124 DAYS Thurs
10.1.0 - 2013.12.19 148 DAYS Thurs
10.1.1 - 2014.01.16 28 DAYS Thurs
10.1.2 - 2014.06.24 159 DAYS (as of Tuesday the 24th)*

*bolded 10.1.2 cause I think it will be a feature update.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:27:07 am

[Marcus Moore] "At Roadshows Apple has been running over the last 6 months, they've stated publicly that their goal is to update about every 3-4 months. So there's that."

Hmm... At NAB in meetings with press, no such statements were made that I'm aware of. What roadshows are you talking about? Were actual Apple employees doing the presentations?

Look, I'm not saying there won't be any updates. Simply that there is no guarantee of updates, nor that Apple actually has any need to update X in the same way that Autodesk, Adobe or Avid do.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:38:28 am

[Oliver Peters] "Hmm... At NAB in meetings with press, no such statements were made that I'm aware of. What roadshows are you talking about? Were actual Apple employees doing the presentations?"

Yup. This was in... about February I think. I wasn't there myself but heard first hand from some clients of mine that's what was said- it's a general guideline, and obviously not binding- but the release schedule up to now seems to bear that out.

I don't think there's any less guarantee of updates than with anyone else (relatively that you can be guaranteed of anything). I don't buy into the conceit that just because something isn't Apple's biggest profit centre that it's not important to them. Apple does a lot of things for which profit obviously can't be the primary motivator, especially if you weight it against something like the iPhone or even the Mac.

Until Apple actively shows declining interest in development of FCP X, I don't see reason to prognosticate that things will suddenly change.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:50:46 am

[Marcus Moore] "Yup. This was in... about February I think. I wasn't there myself but heard first hand from some clients of mine that's what was said-"

April. I was. Not what I heard from Apple personnel, but that doesn't mean we were told the same thing ;-)

[Marcus Moore] " don't buy into the conceit that just because something isn't Apple's biggest profit centre that it's not important to them. Apple does a lot of things for which profit obviously can't be the primary motivator, especially if you weight it against something like the iPhone or even the Mac."

That's not exactly what I meant. All other NLE vendors need the updates to drive marketing buzz and generate renewed interest. Witness the current Adobe push around the next CC updates. Apple OTOH doesn't do a big push around these updates, so they don't have the marketing need that software updates could bring. Hence, there's no artificial schedule (like an annual version update) that drives changes.

My personal guess is that there are hooks that tie into Yosemite and, therefore, we won't see anything major with X until it's out for real.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:06:23 am

You're right that money-wise Apple isn't driven to release FCP X updates on any given schedule. Though based on recent general changes we've seen in the company at WWDC, I as much as anyone would like to see Apple leverage their ability to do focused Pro Apps events when they have something to talk about.

As for your point about Yosemite, while improvements to OSX could certainly spur some cool new features after release, features like "Remove Attributes" or enhanced Color Correction tools likely aren't at all reliant on any new core OS features or functionality.

Personally, I don't think the FCP dev team would hobble itself by always needing to pace feature updates behind Apple's yearly OSX update schedule.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:32:48 am

[Marcus Moore] "Personally, I don't think the FCP dev team would hobble itself by always needing to pace feature updates behind Apple's yearly OSX update schedule.
"

Parts of the FCP team could have been temporarily reassigned to something more critical (iOS 8, Yosemite, etc.,) which would slow down the progress being made on FCP. Apple's known for running a relatively small ship and moving people around as needed as opposed to bringing in a bunch of short term hires during busy times.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:45:58 am

You're right, but the rumours typically go that OSX developers get moved to iOS to meet a delivery deadline (or vice versa as was the case this year).

But I'm not sure Pro Apps devs fall into that same pool. Maybe they do, but the rumours of when that's happened haven't pointed to it.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 18, 2014 at 3:07:52 am

[Oliver Peters] "All other NLE vendors need the updates to drive marketing buzz and generate renewed interest. Witness the current Adobe push around the next CC updates."

I'd say that we're focused on customer innovation and just making the best @)@# product we can. Are we going to promote all of the hard work we put into a new release? Of course.

Cheers,
Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 18, 2014 at 4:44:17 am

So I thought that one of the pluses of the CC was that new features would be dolled out as they're ready, not as a big yearly release?

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 18, 2014 at 10:39:24 am

Indeed this is true, but there must still be a time where we turn the number or we end up with something like version 10.10.

Last year, we delivered Creative Cloud on June 17th, then three weeks later an update with 25 new features. The fall had another major release and a combined 150 features. Finally, we released another version in December with many more features. Along the way, we had a couple of additional dot releases that addressed some bugs. This is just the video products that I'm talking about and not anything else like print or web tools.

That is in stark contrast to once every 12 to 18 months - or at least I would like to think so. ;-)

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:09:15 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Last year, we delivered Creative Cloud on June 17th, then three weeks later an update with 25 new features. The fall had another major release and a combined 150 features. Finally, we released another version in December with many more features. Along the way, we had a couple of additional dot releases that addressed some bugs. This is just the video products that I'm talking about and not anything else like print or web tools."

and I'm assuming we'll be seeing another one today?

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:39:47 pm

[Steve Connor] "and I'm assuming we'll be seeing another one today?"

answer

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 18, 2014 at 12:47:27 pm

Link doesn't work :)

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on Jun 18, 2014 at 1:48:18 pm

No more subscription???

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:15:54 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "... there must still be a time where we turn the number ..."

Dennis,

I still haven't really heard the thinking behind this, or any coherent statement on how this is different from the CS iterations.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:43:13 am

and now, for a favorite quote

"can't innovate anymore, my ass"

no capital letters were harmed in the writing of this post

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]