FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP X and MBA

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
FCP X and MBA
on Jun 16, 2014 at 12:53:34 am

How is FCP X doing these days with a top-of-the-line MacBook Air? Basic HD storytelling without many effects. Also performance with the Adobe apps.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

William Davis
Re: FCP X and MBA
on Jun 16, 2014 at 2:18:05 pm

I did a side job for a friend last weekend on my definitely not top-of-the-line MacBook Air (late 2012) and it performed admirably well. I hooked up a second display and used USB3 for storage. My material was a mix of ProRes 422, H.264, XDCAM, and stills of various sizes. This was pretty straightforward storytelling and a handful of filters, templates, and color correction on every clip. I have not installed Adobe CC on this machine because the SSD is only 128GB.

Bill

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Jun 16, 2014 at 3:52:35 pm

Hey Oliver -

Many of the agency folks I gave the FCPX-101 class to were working on Air's and had no problem with a variety of footage.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Chris Jacek
on Jun 16, 2014 at 11:15:41 pm

I'm disappointed to learn that this was not a thread providing information about getting a Master's of Business Administration in video editing.

Professor, Producer, Editor
and former Apple Employee

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 16, 2014 at 11:51:24 pm

LOL I thought there was something that was related to a masters degree as well. :-)

Final Cut Pro 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 3, Motion 5.1, Resolve 10, Pixelmator, Blackmagic Cinema Camera 2.5K, 7 to X

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on Jun 17, 2014 at 5:00:47 pm

Me three.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 17, 2014 at 2:19:03 am

2012 MBA, runs X, and PrCC well, MC 7 works OK. Resolve overruns the screen... seems to import/play media fine, but can't switch modes as the buttons are covered up...

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 17, 2014 at 6:55:10 am

I'm using a mid 2013 11" MBA w 4 GB RAM and a 256 GB SSD with FCP X 10.1.1 on OSX 10.9.3. I use it to do quick edits from a P&S Canon .mov files. The files import fine on FCP X and overall timeline performance is surprisingly fluid. Haven't done long or complex edits yet but it works admirably well.

Same MBA also has PrCC and Avid MC 7 mostly for trouble-shooting others' projects and doing simple hacks in Avid MC to arrive at source names or relinks, and making AAFs/EDLs. And it hold up well.

Resolve, as another poster commented, doesn't work as the interface doesn't scale usably. But when connected to an Apple Cinema, Resolve actually runs, but any kind of even simple grading is near impossible.

Interestingly, I'm doing a bit of Blu-ray work on the same MBA. I use an external Blu-ray writer to write and a Matrox MXO2 mini with Max to encode at nearly real time speeds. Compressor doesn't do too well, but Adobe Media Encoder and Sorensen Squeeze work quite well for MPEG-2 encodes.

Battery life is great too, and I'm often away from home/office all day without a charger.

Sorry for the long account, Oliver, but I had to gush as I didn't expect this (for mail and browsing only) system to work so well that I use my 15" MBP or 27" iMac only for tasks that this thing simply crawls at.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 17, 2014 at 2:28:12 pm

Surprised it does as well as it does for 4GB of RAM. I imagine if you put more in there, you will see a direct performance boost for all apps.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 17, 2014 at 7:12:28 pm

The newest MBA with the Samsung 512GB SSD gets around 720 MB/s which makes some speedy virtual memory.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Jun 17, 2014 at 8:31:24 pm

Yes, I did small tests with late 2013 MBA, 512 SSD, maxed RAM and processor ... and media on an external USB3.0 pocket drive, seemed to work just fine.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Neil Sadwelkar
on Jun 18, 2014 at 2:36:07 am

Unfortunately I can't up the RAM now. The SSD on board is blazing fast, however. The BM speed test shows upwards of 500 MB/sec reads and over 450 MB/sec writes. Performance that one could get only from a SAS 8-bay RAID just a few years ago. I guess this makes the difference.

Anyway, this machine was never bought as a FCP X/Resolve workhorse, but as a favour to my right shoulder on outings where only mail/browsing was envisaged.

-----------------------------------
Neil Sadwelkar
neilsadwelkar.blogspot.com
twitter: fcpguru
FCP Editor, Edit systems consultant
Mumbai India

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]