Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: New Mac Pro Commercial!
on Jun 10, 2014 at 11:40:32 pm

Dude! I like totally love the new Mac Pro, or whatever it is. Funny commercial. Here is one for another company that begins with the letter "A":

Sorry, just could not resist this. :-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:39:41 am

I feel like there should be something ironic about making fun of cloud storage by using a video stored in the cloud. ;)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2014 at 2:34:52 pm

But... isn't Public Storage or any self-storage vendor kind of the physical equivalent of "the cloud?"

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 11, 2014 at 2:59:38 pm

[Walter Soyka] "But... isn't Public Storage or any self-storage vendor kind of the physical equivalent of "the cloud?""

Yes.

Excuse me while I go clean the egg off my face.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:07:59 pm

It's the ad agency that should check for egg-on-face, not you! I thought the joke was funny, I just found the ad to be quite ironic.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:13:39 pm

I wonder if they used any off the CC product offerings in making of this commercial. That would be ironic.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 12:56:53 am

I think they hobble their argument in a couple of places by building in conditions that make no sense. Expansion via Thunderbolt isn't real expansion? Two of the other peripherals they mention can easily be added this way. Two GPUs isn't REALLY multiple GPUs? And ANY Mac, regardless of it's form factor would require Windows to run 3DStudioMax.

I'm sure I'm being too sensitive.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:02:20 am

[Marcus Moore] "Two GPUs isn't REALLY multiple GPUs?"

Yeah, better traction would be had about the fact that the D700 isn't actually a FirePro, but then I guess they didn't know that then.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:06:08 am

I don't follow- I haven't seen that news anywhere.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 11, 2014 at 4:47:32 am

Since when did Apple advertising bear any semblance to reality? Their hyper inflationisms are routinely hilarious. Their about-faces are the stuff of marketing legend. I still grin on remembering "Apple and Intel. Together at Last". Mmmmmmm...like a good schmeck.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 1:13:23 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Jun 11, 2014 at 1:17:04 pm

Again, I don't get it. Because PowerPC couldn't keep up, Apple switched to Intel. That's an about face?

EDITED TO ADD Specifically, wasn't it because IBM wasn't getting anywhere with power management in the increasingly important Laptop space.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2014 at 1:44:50 pm

I think it was how Apple marketed PowerPC over Intel right up to the about-face.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 1:48:15 pm

Yeah, but what's the alternative to that, really? Apple had to know for at least a year out that they were going to make the switch. In fact, Apple had revealed that they'd had parallel development of both for the last several OS's. But you have to market and sell your products until you're ready to make the switch.

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 11, 2014 at 2:46:02 pm

[Marcus Moore] " But you have to market and sell your products until you're ready to make the switch."

My point is how you market and whether it stretches the truth to all but the truest of believers (but who here would qualify as that :). Apple marketed the Power PC as the fastest most powerful PC on the market when it was a relative clunker to what was more cheaply available on Wintel.

David

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:03:23 pm

Truth is truth- I don't subscribe to that kind of sliding scale thinking.

Unfortunately going down the rabbit hole of the relative speeds of nearly decades old processors is hopefully something neither of us have time for. Is there an easy way to qualify what you're saying?

I'm only familiar with Apple's slides from the G3-G5 days showing performance vs Intel equivalents.

Stuff like this-

http://www.architosh.com/features/2004/g5-interview/2004-interv-g5nem-1.pht...

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:29:16 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Unfortunately going down the rabbit hole of the relative speeds of nearly decades old processors is hopefully something neither of us have time for. Is there an easy way to qualify what you're saying?

I'm only familiar with Apple's slides from the G3-G5 days showing performance vs Intel equivalents.

Stuff like this-

http://www.architosh.com/features/2004/g5-interview/2004-interv-g5nem-1.pht....."

My gawd, man. You just jumped down the rabbit hole. Me, I prefer Mark Twain, "..lies, damned lies, and statistics." But I do remember the TV commercials.

David

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 11, 2014 at 2:51:01 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But you have to market and sell your products until you're ready to make the switch."

Of course, but I'm sure you count yourself as a savvy consumer who understands that it's b.s., but what about those who aren't quite as savvy? Screw 'em?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:10:23 pm

In what regard? It's not that the machines didn't work.

There's loads of people who bough pre-Intel machines (myself included), and those machines worked fine for years- and were supported up until Lion in mid-2011. 6 years after the Intel switch announcement.

The G5 desktop stuff was working great, but as portables became a larger and larger share of the market, they had to ditch. IBM just couldn't do what was needed.

It's honestly too bad that it's a one-horse race for processors. Who's pushing Intel now?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:17:57 pm
Last Edited By Walter Soyka on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:25:15 pm

[Marcus Moore] "It's honestly too bad that it's a one-horse race for processors. Who's pushing Intel now?"

Intel's competition is adjacent: NVIDIA and AMD with GPUs, and Apple, Freescale, Samsung and TI with mobile processors.

In other words, it may not be Intel per se but rather the desktop CPU itself that has competition pushing it.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:38:41 pm

True enough. There's of course all these rumours bout A-series process Macs. And I don't doubt for a minute that just like with IBM almost a decade ago- Apple has those in their labs, in case Intel stables, or if Apple gets to a point with a A12 or A15 that there's no longer any benefit to sticking with them.

I'm sure Apple would love not to have their Mac refresh cycle dictated by Intel's roadmap. But I have no clue as to the relative power of today's A7 chip vs an i5 or i7.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:52:34 pm

[Marcus Moore] "But I have no clue as to the relative power of today's A7 chip vs an i5 or i7."

Neither of them have liquid cooling so it may be time to give up and stop professionaling.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2014 at 3:57:12 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Neither of them have liquid cooling so it may be time to give up and stop professionaling."

I did a little work earlier on my Surface Pro 2. It's not liquid-cooled, but I know I was professionaling because my machines says so, right on the label.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 11, 2014 at 4:48:00 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I did a little work earlier on my Surface Pro 2. It's not liquid-cooled, but I know I was professionaling because my machines says so, right on the label."

Well then it's also time to give that up, too, I guess.

Surface Pro 2 allows 10Gb ethernet, right?

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 11, 2014 at 5:15:30 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Surface Pro 2 allows 10Gb ethernet, right?"

Negative. It only has USB 3.0 (5 Gbps) expansion. That's only half as pro as Thunderbolt, which itself is only half as pro as TB2, and really can't be all that pro at all, otherwise it would have been called Thunderbolt Pro.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]