FORUMS: list search recent posts

My gear is better than your gear...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
My gear is better than your gear...
on Jun 8, 2014 at 1:24:46 am

I know this is a riff on photographers, (from TV's Veep w/ Julia Louis Dreyfus) but it made me smile in view of so many of the changes going on in our digital lives. Enjoy.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Jim Giberti
Re: My gear is better than your gear...
on Jun 8, 2014 at 5:53:18 pm

Ha.
I've been wondering lately if i'm one of the few people left that takes pride in producing quality work without buying every piece of high end gear possible.

I love that I shoot a ton of work on $1k BMPCCs with $500 HDMI field monitors rather than $2500 monitors etc.
I light with Kinos, but just the tubes in other fixtures. One of my favorite field lenses is a 50-135mm f/3.5 Nikon which on the Metabones BMPCC is a near perfect 85-225mm, f/2, heavy, honkin piece of metal and glass with world class results. I'm proud that I got it for $145 on ebay.

I totally dig that I edit regularly on a refurb 15" Retina with USB 3 drives that cost $125 and handle all my ProRes footage flawlessly.
One entire shoot and edit package now cost me way less than our single Media 100 and 4 GB raid array from 1996.

Hell, I paid over $20k for a single XL1s and P&S mini 35 system not long after that.

Today, one of my BMPCCs with a Metabones adapter and Sigma 18-35mm lens is all the camera I need to shoot great commercial and film work on any given day. I think that's way more rewarding, in more ways than one.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 9, 2014 at 9:16:28 pm

I agree with you Jim.

After all, this is a business, and nobody goes to a restaurant and cares what stove their food was cooked on.

Once I brought a t3i to a multi camera 7D shoot. Even though I knew it has the exact sensor as the 7D, but is much less money, I still got the stink eye from the director when he noticed my camera body looked different.

It all worked out when the final product used footage that was mostly shot with my camera, but it's still a strange thing for people to obsess over.

My camera cost $1000 less, and I shot the largest ratio of usable footage that day. It's not always about the tools after all.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:43:37 am
Last Edited By Gary Huff on Jun 10, 2014 at 1:46:09 am

[Darren Roark] "
After all, this is a business, and nobody goes to a restaurant and cares what stove their food was cooked on."

Unless it was on the cheaper stove that isn't accurate temperature-wise and the steak was burned because of it.

On a similar note, my GH2 with the Apocalypse hack vs a second shooter with a 7D. None of the 7D footage was used in the edit because it was strikingly poor next to the GH2 footage. Granted, cameras of the same price-level, but it would also hold true stacked up against a C100/300.

Return to posts index

Darren Roark
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:16:24 am

It just seems like people are afraid to use anything that isn't what most people use. That way if a piece of critical equipment screws up, you screwed up with the industry standard.

Since when is cooking as steak on a stove without a good thermometer OK?

(Yes, 7D footage is hard to look at next to the GH2 with the hack)

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 10, 2014 at 3:50:54 am

[Darren Roark] "Since when is cooking as steak on a stove without a good thermometer OK?"

A clumsy analogy based on the image problems with the 7D: low resolution, aliasing, moire, etc.

[Darren Roark] "t just seems like people are afraid to use anything that isn't what most people use."

On the flip-side of that, is the kind of gear that is requested by clients. Right now, I am getting a lot of two requests: either a Cinema EOS series camera explicitly, or at least the ability to have the background out of focus. The latter throws out all the perfectly good cameras that a lot of people were shooting on just a few years ago (the HVX200 and HPX170 series). And is there really any reason why most people aren't still editing on a Power Mac G5 with Final Cut Pro 6/7? Still more than enough for 1080 ProRes editing, isn't it?

So I find the whole, "I've been wondering lately if i'm one of the few people left that takes pride in producing quality work without buying every piece of high end gear possible?" a curious statement, because we're talking about a relative new camera and a relatively new MacBook. Just because you're not buying a HP Z series workstation and a Red Dragon doesn't mean you're not chasing gear. If someone were still on an HVX200 editing DVCPRO HD in Final Cut Pro 6 on a Power Mac, then I think the statement would hold more weight.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2014 at 6:44:20 am

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but the 1D vs 5D argument in the video is weird because they are both expensive, pro quality (loaded term, I know) cameras. It's not like one guy had a 1D and the other was using a fixed-lens point & shoot camera.

Are their gear snobs? Of course, but gear can be trendy too. Anyone remember when Spike Lee and Steven Soderbergh got into the DV craze? Or the flip-cam craze from the mid-2000's? Some people fixate on high-end gear because they see it as a mark of status and success and some people fixate on low end gear because it makes them feel like guerrilla filmmakers stickin' to the man, the suits and the sellouts.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 10, 2014 at 11:30:03 am

[Andrew Kimery] " Some people fixate on high-end gear because they see it as a mark of status and success"

And, to be fair, some people fixate on high-end gear because they've been hampered by low-end gear or the cheap end of the spectrum that ends up being more trouble than it's worth.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 10, 2014 at 4:43:19 pm

[Gary Huff] "And, to be fair, some people fixate on high-end gear because they've been hampered by low-end gear or the cheap end of the spectrum that ends up being more trouble than it's worth."

Of course.

And the fixation (which I don't think is the same as buying what you actually need) isn't just limited to higher end gear. I've run into a lot of people (both online and in real life) that are fixated with using DSLRs even though their needs would be better served by using higher end gear (which they can afford) but they just think DSLRs are cool and edgy so that's what they want to use.

Now there seems to be a sub genre of people that fixate about people that fixate on gear. It's weird.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 10, 2014 at 2:10:38 pm

Who's chasing high-end gear here? We're not exactly discussing ALEXA and Flame.

Slightly OT, but I find that both the low end and the high end seem to underestimate the other's capabilities.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]