FORUMS: list search recent posts

Question for new MacPro owners

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Question for new MacPro owners
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:27:28 pm

So how is FCPX performing on the new MacPro? I'm going to upgrade soon and I'm interested in how other people are doing with it.

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Question for new MacPro owners
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:19:05 pm

Absolutely love it.

I don't know if you read this earlier, but this is what I am currently doing:

Real time mixed res multicam (4k and 1080) in a 1080 timeline with 18 channels of available audio, a chromakey, with multiple grades, with scale and crop on video layers, two stacked, keyframed, and animated layers of type, all in real time, in full quality (best quality not better performance) SDI to a monitor, using native XAVC MXF media (not ProRes or Proxy). Not one render, background or otherwise, until export.

8 core, dual 700s.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:28:57 pm

Thanks Jeremy, I did notice that post!

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:04:48 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Real time mixed res multicam (4k and 1080) in a 1080 timeline with 18 channels of available audio, a chromakey, with multiple grades, with scale and crop on video layers, two stacked, keyframed, and animated layers of type, all in real time, in full quality (best quality not better performance) SDI to a monitor, using native XAVC MXF media (not ProRes or Proxy). Not one render, background or otherwise, until export. "

to be fair:

http://img.pandawhale.com/post-28553-Steve-Jobs-mind-blown-gif-HD-T-pVbd.gi...

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:42:23 pm

Nice one!

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:41:07 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Real time mixed res multicam (4k and 1080) in a 1080 timeline with 18 channels of available audio, a chromakey, with multiple grades, with scale and crop on video layers, two stacked, keyframed, and animated layers of type, all in real time, in full quality (best quality not better performance) SDI to a monitor, using native XAVC MXF media (not ProRes or Proxy). Not one render, background or otherwise, until export.

8 core, dual 700s."

How much of that is CPU, how much is GPU and how much is drive speed? And I want exact percentages ;)

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media
Video production... with style!

Check out my Mormon.org profile.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:48:40 pm

I can't give you percentages, but CPU hovers around 4-600% when playing back through that malaise.

I have no idea about GPU (is there a measurement available)?

Drive speed is 700MB/sec available (via shared fibre storage), but seems to read 50-200MB/sec during playback.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:55:28 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "CPU hovers around 4-600% when playing back through that malaise"

I'm not sure how to interpret that. Would 8 cores max out at 800%?

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 10:00:10 pm

1600%, theoretically.

Return to posts index

Jason Jenkins
on Jun 5, 2014 at 10:16:36 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "1600%, theoretically."

So you are maxing out at less than 40% CPU capacity. I'm pondering a Mac Pro purchase, but can't afford the 8-core. Looking at the 6-core D700 config.

Jason Jenkins
Flowmotion Media

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 10:24:28 pm

[Jason Jenkins] "So you are maxing out at less than 40% CPU capacity. "

During this project's playback, yes.

When using Episode or doing transcoding, the CPUs usually hover around 1200%

6 core D700 will be great, I'm sure.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:07:08 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Not one render, background or otherwise, until export. "

I sure wish that was true with me... lots of things need to render...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:26:16 pm

I'd suspect your plugins.

When using third party plugs, the performance isn't as great.

In my scenario, there are no third party plugs and multiple transform, grade and animation.

All real time and full quality.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:51:25 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "I'd suspect your plugins. "

You may be right, but that would be like saying, I suspect the problem with your car is the engine. If you remove the engine, the noise will stop. What's a car without an engine?

Apple's whole premise with FCP X was to leverage the third party market to develop the things Apple no longer has any interest in doing. Unless they come up with a system like the one they use for apps in the App Store, I don't see this fix coming soon. That would actually be a good thing if Apple rated plugins for speed and compatibility... or maybe just certify certain ones that are not slowing down FCP X.

I'm happy that your projects don't require any additional capabilities, but for most of us, I suspect that we'll need to use plugins to fill in the gaps...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:06:16 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:12:23 pm

[Mitch Ives] "I'm happy that your projects don't require any additional capabilities, but for most of us, I suspect that we'll need to use plugins to fill in the gaps..."

It's more like you are trying to put third party chip in the factory engine computer and things aren't working as expected.

I don't use a lot of plugins as After Effects is my plugin, but LUT Utility works tremendously and in real time, I also use SliceX which works well (not quite real time, but I don't expect tracking to happen in real time).

The plugin architecture has gone major changes since launch, so perhaps things are still getting worked out. This isn't a blight against the tube as it's obvious to me that it works very well, but I guess you'd have to take my word for it.

I can't spell.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jun 6, 2014 at 7:49:47 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Real time mixed res multicam..."

FCPX is a lot snappier for me on my new MacPro in almost all ways except native multicam editing. I've been doing a lot of 2-3 cam multicam edits lately and I would have expected native playback to be better, but get a certain amount of lag while navigating in the timeline. Not really a problem since I transcode all the footage. But I'm wondering what I can do to improve native playback in that scenario.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2014 at 8:08:45 pm

[James Culbertson] "FCPX is a lot snappier for me on my new MacPro in almost all ways except native multicam editing. I've been doing a lot of 2-3 cam multicam edits lately and I would have expected native playback to be better,"

What format is your footage?

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jun 6, 2014 at 10:34:41 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "What format is your footage?"

Canon AVCHD. Even a 2 cam MultiCam assembly edit (no effects or titles) can be sluggish when working native. ProRes of any variety is snappy like expected. I assume something is off with my system.

I've disabled the movies folder which cleared up some beach ball delays. Are there any other suggestions?

(MacPro (10.9.2) 6 core, D700, 512 SSD, 32GB RAM, Pegasus2 R4 8TB

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2014 at 1:32:17 am

Always toggle the inspector closed after you use it.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Jun 7, 2014 at 2:17:15 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Always toggle the inspector closed after you use it."

That and toggling closed the timeline index do not appear to make any difference in my experience.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 7, 2014 at 5:03:15 pm

But if editing in ProRes does, then you have your answer.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 10, 2014 at 12:52:05 am

I can add real time, high/best quality of 1080p phantom cine debayer using Glue Tools in fcpx and near real time transcodes to ProRes via Coompressor.

Just checked it out today. The nice thing is, I can bring the Tube on set very easily. :)

DITs must love this thing.

Sorry, I know some people aren't having as much luck, but I am finding this machine to be certainly much faster than my old MacPro and offers much more performance than Apple i7 machines.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:21:26 pm

I'm happy, but I was coming from a 2008 MP with a 5870 video card, so I should see improvements, wouldn't you think?

It's interesting, because many things are faster, while others don't seem to be any faster at all. I'm surprised by some of that. I haven't bothered to document all the details... rendering is definitely a lot faster, but I guess I was expecting to see a lot of rendering disappear all together, which I'm not seeing.

I'm giving Apple some time to update the OS and hoping that the FCP X team will be able to further optimize things, once they're allowed to get back on FCP X development.

The machine is extraordinarily quiet, which I love. You do want to carefully assign TB devices to the three different buses to get maximum speed, which I've done. TB2 disk arrays are amazing to watch on this machine. I'm getting 850-970.

Cheap USB 3.o drives are very quick on the new MP... makes Firewire drives look painfully slow.

FWIW, I'm on a maxed out 8-core...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Julian Bowman
on Jun 6, 2014 at 7:33:06 am

Hi, my experience is not so awesome I have to say.

on my 2008 2.26 mac pro I experienced a lot of lag in actioning things, such as opening the plugins area, user the Inspector, even moving clips onto the timeline or around the timeline. I would get as many, if not more crashes, than with FCP7.

Though I am getting fewer crashes with the dustbin, I still get them. I still experience lag in opening the plugins area and in the inspector (we're only talking a couple of seconds but it all trips up the creative flow).

I did some render tests with projects on both machines early on and my old mac was winning in some cases.

I have deleted some of my Pixel Film Studio plugins (one i had caused FCPX to crash every time i tried to render for example).

Sometimes I definitely feel a bit of an improvement but with some MotionVFX logo plugins (made in motion 5) I mostly cannot play them back without them freezing in playback mode on the new mac whereas the old mac at least played them with a stutter.

I also get weird playback on regular pro res clips for about 5 seconds before it 'settles in' to the playback.

I guess I should delete all my plugins and reinstall them one by one and test them all to see if there is improvement - and at some point I guess I will but I am a one man band with jobs constantly on the go so it isn't so convenient - as it may well be some conflict with plugins, but on the whole I am underwhelmed.

I don't regret buying it, it's small and neat and lower power consumption etc etc., but i didn't get the performance boost i was expecting.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:26:07 pm

Whatever happened to the days when we used to say...it just works ;)

All kidding aside, we run all three NLEs here and its been good with one exception.
The Sapphire on Avid MC and OS 10.9.3 is not playing nice.
Have to render to play anything back in real time, even the simplest of things.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:02:56 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Whatever happened to the days when we used to say...it just works ;)"

Long long gone.

Long gone.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 6, 2014 at 3:06:14 pm

[Eric Santiago] "Whatever happened to the days when we used to say...it just works ;)"

You came to the realization that it was a statement full of hot air? ;-)

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on Jun 8, 2014 at 2:23:06 am

[Julian Bowman] "I also get weird playback on regular pro res clips for about 5 seconds before it 'settles in' to the playback."

I see this all the time!

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Jun 8, 2014 at 4:19:23 pm

I've seen that too...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]