FORUMS: list search recent posts

WOW - is this the start of the bushfire ?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig RussillRoy
WOW - is this the start of the bushfire ?
on Jun 5, 2014 at 1:35:40 pm

Renderman is now free ?

http://www.geek.com/news/pixar-renderman-software-set-free-so-you-can-make-...

FCP 7
FCPX 10
3 x 4TB Thunderbolt R4
VC100
6 x 2D teranes 2D
4 x BMD Express
3 x ioXT
MicroHub
Ultrascope
SmartView

Check out the free iBook broadcast delivery 101 on itunes

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
Re: WOW - is this the start of the bushfire ?
on Jun 5, 2014 at 4:28:57 pm
Last Edited By Phil Hoppes on Jun 5, 2014 at 4:35:56 pm

That's quite impressive. Thanks for the post. One has to ask why drop greater than a $1K for V-Ray, Arnold or Maxwell when you can get Renderman for free. Granted all of those other rendering engines have some unique capabilities that are quite nice but it begs the question do you really need it vs the cost delta. Sometime, sure but often no.

The fine print... It is not exactly free. It is free for Non-Commercial use but still at $500 for paid commercial license that is less than half the cost of V-Ray. That is going to put some hurt on other render engine suppliers for sure.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 5, 2014 at 4:35:40 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "One has to ask why drop greater than a $1K for V-Ray, Arnold or Maxwell when you can get Renderman for free."

I don't really think "artist-friendly" when I think Renderman. Am I mistaken?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:13:16 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I don't really think "artist-friendly" when I think Renderman. Am I mistaken?"

I've heard that it's a great tool for work groups, but maybe not as good for individual artists. Maybe the next release will be more friendly for 3D generalists (like me)? At the $500.00 price point, it's a bit of a no-brainer though, isn't it?

Thinking more broadly, I do wonder if this will hurt NextLimit, Visual Dynamics and other smaller developers... it's not as if those companies also have powerful animation studios subsidizing the development of their products. Truthfully, I'm not even sure why PIXAR/Disney is interested in the sub-1k software market.

Shawn

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 5, 2014 at 5:38:39 pm

Well, I do 3D animation primarily as my freelance work. I've used Mental Ray, V-Ray, Modo & Vue. Modo and Vue have their own captive render engine. I can honestly say that none of these are what one would consider artist friendly. IMHO, Modo is perhaps the easiest to set up to get decent looking quick results. That being said you need about a masters degree to get great results and a PhD to get over the top. It has been my experience that all rendering engines are quite tricky to work with. Mental Ray, for one, is one of those tools where you pull your hair out for a week until you find the one check box, 3 dialog boxes deep, that you need to uncheck for it to work on Tuesday's and Thursday's only when there is a full moon. There have been day's where I've considered a Jack Daniels drip to get me by.

So, no, while I've not used Renderman, my expectation is that it is not simple to set up, not simple to get good results and not simple to use. That being said, $500 is dirt cheap and free to just try it and look at what you can do with it is a no brainer.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:06:20 pm

There could be motivations we don't know behind this, having to do with the p.r. value or stock valuation or anything. That said, whatever rendering software you use, isn't the really hard part of CGI still building and rigging and animating the objects/characters/environment? You know, the skilled artist component? And not choice of renderer?

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 6, 2014 at 12:58:06 am

.... and the answer is

D) All of the above.

Return to posts index

Chafik Hamdane
on Jun 6, 2014 at 10:20:07 am

motivations behind this is called "Arnold", path tracing technology and simplicity of use to name just a few.
in fact they should have done this move two or three years ago, they're a bit late for that.

Return to posts index

Eric Santiago
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:49:19 pm

We have to licenses here...shhh dont tell my boss its free :)

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 6, 2014 at 7:03:38 pm

[Mark Suszko] "There could be motivations we don't know bePhind this, having to do with the p.r. value or stock valuation or anything."

It's also worth noting that Disney/Pixar very openly contributes valuable research and code to the 3D graphics community. Not just anyone would publish Ptex or OpenSubdiv and make it available to their competitors.

It's important to remember that Renderman is not just a renderer; it's a standard, and there are other Renderman-compliant renderers available.

I think that this is an infrastructure play -- maybe making a Renderman-compliant renderer freely available makes the Renderman API more compelling.

[Mark Suszko] "That said, whatever rendering software you use, isn't the really hard part of CGI still building and rigging and animating the objects/characters/environment? You know, the skilled artist component? And not choice of renderer?"

Your choice of renderer isn't just a drop-in element, and I'd suggest that shader development (which may be very intimately tied to your choice of renderer) is also a skilled artist component.

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]