FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP 7 killed in Yosemite?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Al LeVine
FCP 7 killed in Yosemite?
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:04:54 am

It's just a beta (so real buggy) but this article seems to suggest FCP 7 is finally dead in the Yosemite Developer Preview... Curious if this will work itself out or not.
For reference, I remember FCP 7 working just fine in the Mavericks Developer Preview.

http://haverzine.com/2014/06/03/early-first-look-os-x-10-10-yosemite-develo...

"I’ve experienced application crashes, design glitches, sluggish animations, totally broken animations, broken first party and third party applications a like – I’m looking at you, Final Cut Pro 7, which has finally kicked the bucket in Yosemite and is now completely broken – and much, much more."

Return to posts index

John Christie
Re: FCP 7 killed in Yosemite?
on Jun 4, 2014 at 12:15:11 am

Cross posted from the FCP 7 forum:

Well I decided to be a guinea pig.

I loaded Yosemite onto a 128GB USB 3 flash drive so I could dual boot with my existing Mavericks setup on a latest generation Mac Book Pro. I installed FCP 7 only, none of the supporting apps and it runs!

This was a very, very simple test, I loaded up a Prores clip added a few splices and it kept running. But the fact that FCP7 even loads is encouraging.

Keep in mind that Yosemite is still beta. Additional changes could easily break FCP7. I certainly wouldn't have done this test on a production machine.

Now I'll try loading VisiCalc :)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2014 at 1:58:25 am

X is killed in Yosemite: http://forums.creativecow.net/thread/335/69554#875923

:)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Jun 4, 2014 at 9:24:47 pm

Early bird gets the worm, early adopter gets the bugs, issues and all the other "good" stuff with a new release. Just because it is new and shiny does not mean it is not without issues.

My Final Cut Studio:

Core Software
Final Cut Pro X
Motion 5
Resolve
Pixelmator

Plug-ins
Red Giant Universe

Utilities
7 to X
Clip Exporter
Ultrascope

Cameras
Black Magic Cinema Camera
Canon (consumer model)

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 4, 2014 at 10:00:32 pm

[David Mathis] "Just because it is new and shiny does not mean it is not without issues.
"

It's not even new. It's pre-new.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 4, 2014 at 11:48:47 pm

Hello John,

Are there any updates as to how Final Cut Pro 7 works in Yosemite? Could you please post a link to the original thread? Thanks for your help, I really appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

John Christie
on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:51:41 am

Hi Neel

All I did was install and open Final Cut 7 and load up a clip. The original link was mine. I wouldn't put any trust in FCP 7 and Yosemite. I was just curious to see if it would work, I don't plan on doing anymore testing.

Cheers

John

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 1:01:31 am

Hey John,

Thanks for the quick reply. I was hoping to be able to use Final Cut Studio 3 and Yosemite, but now I'm not getting my hopes up. I guess we will know more when it is finally released in the Fall. It is encouraging that you were able to get it to work at all.

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Jun 5, 2014 at 12:53:12 am

I guess you don't like Al LeVine, Neel

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 1:03:28 am

I don't even know him Bob. =)

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that Final Cut Studio 3 will work in Yosemite. If not, I have Avid Mediacomposer 7. Thank you for the help guys.

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

Glenn Venghaus
on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:21:38 am

Or just dont' upgrdade. Unless you realy miss features that turn you production machine in a large iphone, which seems the preferred direction of apple these days :-)

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:36:55 am

Or make a separate boot drive that has 10.9 and your old FCP apps on it.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:54:08 am

I get what you're saying. The new feature I want is airdrop between iPhone, iPad and my MacBook Pro. Is it possible to make a separate boot drive on a MacBook Pro.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 3:30:51 pm

Using disk utility, you can partition empty space on your boot drive. So, yes.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:48:40 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Is it a complicated process? I have a 512GB HD with 378GB of free space. Thanks for your help.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:15:40 pm

[Alok Agrawal] "Is it a complicated process? I have a 512GB HD with 378GB of free space. Thanks for your help."

It's very easy.

Open Disk Utility, select your hard drive, click the partition button, click the plus sign, choose a size by sliding how much free space you want to keep, and partition.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:18:16 pm

Thanks Jeremy. Appreciate the help.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:23:59 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Have you heard of people installing an additional HD using the space for a DVD drive on a Macbook Pro? Do you think this is a better method than partitioning the original HD? Would I be able to boot an older or newer OS X using both methods? Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Jun 5, 2014 at 8:53:38 pm

[Alok Agrawal] "Have you heard of people installing an additional HD using the space for a DVD drive on a Macbook Pro?"

Yes, I did that with my old laptop, it worked very well. I used the OWC kit to do it.

[Alok Agrawal] "Do you think this is a better method than partitioning the original HD?"

It allows for more hard drive space.

[Alok Agrawal] "Would I be able to boot an older or newer OS X using both methods?"

Yes.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:17:16 pm

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for the help. I think I'm going to get the kit from OWC and an SSD HD to put in it. Thanks for the responses, you seem to know a lot about computers. Do you plan on upgrading to Yosemite when it comes out?

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

Bill Dewald
on Jun 5, 2014 at 6:42:59 pm

So you would switch from FCP7 to Avid in order to have AirDrop?

What's so important about AirDrop?

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:49:12 pm

The potential problem, of course, comes when you need a new computer and it comes pre-loaded with Yosemite and might not (probably won't) run a previous OS.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Blackmagic Teranex, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:53:41 pm

Hey Jim,

According to that logic then Final Cut Pro 7 will definitely be completely obsolete in five years. It's a very good point because the computer technology advances at such a fast pace that no one will be working with old hardware.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 7:51:48 pm

Hey Bill,

I have been trying to get better with Avid Mediacomposer because I feel Final Cut Pro 7 is a dying piece of software. I would have gone to Final Cut Pro X, but my teacher said he didn't like it and that the editing stations at school would be Avid. Airdrop isn't really that important but it can definitely be useful. I mostly just like the feeling of getting a new operating system with new features. I guess it's somewhat fun for me.

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:19:51 pm

Alok, two things:

You might consider that your teacher isn't God. Or Walter Murch :-)

And you might want to save up to buy FCPX for your personal exploration and use.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 5, 2014 at 9:27:52 pm

Hey Mark,

I totally understand what you are saying. Do you have Final Cut Pro X? Do you like it? I am wondering which system is going to be dominant 5-10 years down the line. I was using Final Cut Pro 7 about ten years ago and thought it would be around forever. When they made the switch to Final Cut Pro X I didn't upgrade because I fond that most of the people using it were initially unhappy. Is there a sharp learning curve?

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on Jun 5, 2014 at 10:07:23 pm

[Alok Agrawal] "I am wondering which system is going to be dominant 5-10 years down the line"

No one knows. In the past 5 years all three of the Big A's (Adobe, Apple, Avid) have all dropped the ball and seemingly snatched defeat out of the jaws of victory.

My long term plan is not to have a long term plan. ;) I'm no longer working under the assumption that the NLE I'm using today will be the NLE I'm using in 5 years (or even three years). I think learning multiple NLE's is more important than ever. I'm currently well versed with FCP 7, Avid MC and Premiere Pro. I haven't touched FCP X yet (thought that will change eventually) and waiting in the wings are Resolve 11 and Lightworks.

Hitching one's wagon to a single NLE, like so many did with FCP 7, is a recipe for disaster.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jun 5, 2014 at 10:49:24 pm

Alok, we're long-term FCP7 users in my shop, and this year we got copies of FCPX and Adobe Premiere CS (non-cloud version) to play with for a year and try to come to a consensus as to which system we can all standardize on in the shop, for the future. Standardization is important in our operation: we want every workstation rigged the same so any producer/editor can jump in and finish another person's project when they are away.

I have not spent time on Premiere yet but have been using the Larry Jordan tutorial DVD to work with FCPx, and I've cut together some very simple things with it so far.
I was one of those that did not think it was " ready for Prime Time" when it came out, but now, it has matured enough to be a serious platform again, and I think it has a lot of potential. It's also a cheap platform, and so far, not tied so tightly to the "cloud" as Adobe is.

Here's the thing, and maybe your teacher will agree with me: it isn't ultimately important which specific platform you train on in school. The point of the schooling isn't to get a certification as an Avid, PRemiere, or Final Cut editor. But to learn how to be an EDITOR.

What you need to be learning is not so much what button does what, but WHY we're pushing it, and when. Specifically, you need to be learning the core skills of the editing process and a theory and aesthetic understanding of editing, more so than any particular platform. If you had to, once you've learned one platform, you can transition to another, generally, in just a few days. But without that background and practice in understanding HOW to cut to tell a story, convey a feeling... well, you could be replaced by an app.

Andrew makes a good point that goes along with mine: in five years we may all be switching to something else. What remains useful are these core skills, and the rest, well, we have to periodically re-learn to keep up.

Return to posts index

Sean Lander
on Jun 6, 2014 at 12:08:12 am

I really hope FCP 7 is put out to pasture by Yosemite. It's time for it to go away. It's nearly 5 years without a significant update! I just can't handle the rigours of modern media anymore.

Don't care what people choose, just want to work on good stable systems that a built for today's world.

R E D N A I L - M E D I A
web: http://www.rednail.com.au
email: rednail@me.com

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:09:21 am

Hey Sean,

I don't understand why you wouldn't want the option to use Final Cut Pro 7? How can it hurt to have an additional editing platform?

Neel

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:08:15 am

Hey Mark,

I completely agree that is the aesthetic and craft of the editor that makes all the difference. I originally started on a Steenbeck flatbed editing 16mm film. In fact, most of my projects were shot on 16mm, transferred to Mini DV and edited in Final Cut Pro 7. To tell you the truth, I think a lot of knowledge can be gained by watching films as well as taking classes. I'm not being trained specifically as an editor, I really want to direct films, but I feel it is important to understand the basics. Your shop sounds pretty cool. I have played around with Adobe Premiere but I didn't really like it. I mostly had trouble with the fact that it wouldn't snap to edit points in the timeline. I'm pretty happy with Avid, but Final Cut Pro 7 is really my favorite.

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on Jun 7, 2014 at 11:44:01 am

[Alok Agrawal] "I have played around with Adobe Premiere but I didn't really like it. I mostly had trouble with the fact that it wouldn't snap to edit points in the timeline."

Premiere Pro supports snapping to edit points, perhaps you just needed to turn it on.

PS - dang the retina display when screen grabbing - it's all gi-normous.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on Jun 7, 2014 at 12:36:15 pm

It does snap to edit points, but it's not as "snappy" as FCP Classic, it's fine when you get used to it though

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 7, 2014 at 11:36:37 pm

Hey Dennis,

Thanks for the head's up. I will have to check it Premiere again sometime.

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jun 6, 2014 at 1:01:26 am

Hey Andrew,

I have worked with Final Cut Pro 7, Avid Mediacomposer, and Premiere. The only one I didn't really like was Premiere. I had a lot of trouble navigating the functions in that software. I really like Final Cut Pro 7 the best, but I'm getting a little bit better with Avid.

Sincerely,
Neel

Return to posts index

Adam Schoales
on Jul 24, 2014 at 6:32:59 pm

The first public beta of Yosemite is out today. STILL beta, but further along.

Curious as to how FCP 7 is doing, if it's any better... any worse... more of the same...

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Jul 26, 2014 at 3:28:05 am

I'm also wondering if Final Cut Pro 7 works in Yosemite. It seems that a lot of people downloaded the Yosemite beta in the last two days so I imagine someone out there has tried it. Thanks for the help.

Neel

Return to posts index

Will Moindrot
on Aug 7, 2014 at 10:25:13 am

Hi,

I did a quick test in Yosemite public beta and Final Cut Pro 7 / Compressor 4 seemed to work ok for me:

Thanks, Will

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Aug 10, 2014 at 2:48:14 am

Hey Will,

Thanks for the video. It seems that Final Cut Pro 7 will work with Yosemite. I will most likely be upgrading when the official version is released in the Fall. Have you done any more testing? Have you ran into any problems? Keep me posted on your work with Final Cut Pro 7 in Yosemite. You really made my day with the good news.

Neel

Return to posts index

Will Moindrot
on Aug 10, 2014 at 5:55:48 pm

Hi Alok, I did a further test by putting beta on an older (2012ish) Macbook Pro and doing an install of FCP7 and it worked too here.

The next big test will be when I receive a retina macbook pro end of this week, and then also when theyh make a final release of Yosemite. Anything could happen, something comes along that breaks it. It's interesting that FCPX had trouble but FCP7 did not in the beta. I just wish fcp7 was 64bit. Will probably give fcpx a try eventually. Thanks, Will

Return to posts index

Alok Agrawal
on Aug 11, 2014 at 1:36:08 am

Hey Will,

Thanks for the response. I'm really happy to hear that FCP 7 seems to be working. I have another question for you about Yosemite. I read that the handoff features between Yosemite and iOS 8 only work with a computer that has Bluetooth LE. My computer, Macbook Late 2011 does not have Bluetooth LE and I was wondering if you had experimented with this feature at all. Thanks for the help.

Neel

Return to posts index

Ri Stewart
on Oct 19, 2014 at 5:45:15 am

Whatever your teacher is telling you, let me share some real word stuff at the risk of sounding arrogant.

In the production biz, it's about telling your story, and delivering. Everything is a tool to do that. Never get attached to your workflows. If one is actually doing their job, every project should use a a different workflow to achieve success.

I've edited 4 feature films in FCPX now, and collaborated with people in ways previously not possible. People like the work, we've got a bunch of awards sitting here. FCP7 is dead, and we've all had plenty of time to mourn it's passing.

I think Avid is user hostile, and in todays world of getting things out slicker and faster, I would work in FCPX over anything else out there. Try it. Don't be afraid. There's plenty of conversions of FCP7 to X. Deliveries have not been a problem in todays digital world and that of DVD's, film tests, and cinema. That includes output to Protools, but why use it? Logic X works beautifully with FCPX and is a faster workflow. Who has time to wait for 2-1/2 hours to bounce out a mix in real time?

I jumped into FCPX a couple years ago as an early adopter doing music videos, shorts, etc. to learn it. When it was robust enough, I imported a full film into it. It held up. My production managers have approved the workflow in multi-million dollar projects. Who cares if Yosemite won't run 7. Good riddance!

bluedot productions
http://www.bluedotproductions.com

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 23, 2015 at 8:18:13 pm

Does anyone know if you buy a new MacBook Pro Retina now that ships (not an upgrade from Mavericks) with Yosemite on it, if FCP7 can be installed?

Thanks.

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:06:19 am

I would guess not, because the Yosemite OS doesn't come with Rosetta, which FCP7's installer needs. You can't go back home again.

Return to posts index

Rosie Walunas
on Jan 24, 2015 at 4:25:30 am

I just read Rosetta was killed with Lion. Yet FCP7 ran on OS's up to Macericks. How would this be any different? Anyone with first hand knowledge?

Return to posts index

Will Moindrot
on Jan 24, 2015 at 2:20:42 pm

As far as I'm aware Rosetta used to be used to install PowerPC applications (Final Cut Studio 1 and 2), but Final Cut Studio 3 (that's Final Cut Pro 7) is written for Intel processors and doesn't need Rosetta.

If you were installing Final Cut Pro 6 you might have trouble but FCP 7 should be fine. I did a clean install of Yosemite on my 2014 Retina Macbook Pro, and have installed and used Final Cut Pro 7 with no issues - I even got QMaster working ok.

For anybody getting a new laptop with Yosemite pre-installed I guess there might be some hardware-level drivers missing that disallows FCP7 use but I doubt it.

Hope this helps. Will

Return to posts index

Danielle Zorbas
on Feb 13, 2015 at 8:19:31 am

Hi all,

I'm a crack FCP7 user (but I also own Avid, just afraid to jump ship right now).
I'm on a 2012 MacBook Pro with Mountain Lion (OS X 10.8.5).
Do I:
*edit on FCP 7 with Mountain Lion
*attempt Yosemite OSX update and then reinstall crack FCP7
*move to Avid.

Footage shot on mostly a7s (.mp4), some Arri, some fs700.

I know Apple Pro Res HQ is best for FCP7, is it also best for Avid? (I won't be doing an upres on the final export.) Also, what transcoding software is best for all these- Compressor can't handle a7s apparently.

Advice appreciated.
Cheers

Return to posts index

Mark Suszko
on Feb 13, 2015 at 1:27:29 pm

The re-installs are where people get bit most, from what I've observed. And it would be harder if you were using a (word banned by cow censoring software) version of the program.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]