FORUMS: list search recent posts

OS 10.10 and iOS8

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Oliver Peters
OS 10.10 and iOS8
on May 31, 2014 at 12:55:55 am

I guess all the FCP X engineers have been pulled off for a while to get these out the door by fall. ;-)

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
Re: OS 10.10 and iOS8
on May 31, 2014 at 12:59:22 am

Others in this forum were brutally excoriated for suggesting such a thing was even possible.

Tim

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 31, 2014 at 1:02:15 am

[TImothy Auld] "Others in this forum were brutally excoriated for suggesting such a thing was even possible."

Maybe so, but Apple routinely moves engineers around at crunch time.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 31, 2014 at 1:06:42 am

You are preaching to the choir.

Tim

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 31, 2014 at 2:26:16 am

[Oliver Peters] "Maybe so, but Apple routinely moves engineers around at crunch time."

OSX El Capitan requires lots of attention.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 31, 2014 at 1:00:17 pm

Isn't it OSX 'Dre" now?

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 31, 2014 at 7:46:29 pm

[Steve Connor] "Isn't it OSX 'Dre" now?"

Well, he is a doctor.

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on Jun 3, 2014 at 8:01:08 am

[Gary Huff] "Well, he is a doctor."

But not THE Doctor.

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 1, 2014 at 5:05:38 pm

Having worked in the corporate engineering world for close to 30 years, this practice of pulling people off project A and dumping them on Project B so B can ship earlier is so asinine it is not to be believed.

Unless these people are doing pure monkey work such that coming on in the 11th hour to a project requires no training what so ever, this is just a Dilbert PHB waste of everyone's time. I use to have this practice shoved down my throat all of the time. Everyone claims to have read The Mythical Man Month but all of my managers just ignored it. You can't have a kid in one month by getting 9 women pregnant. Throwing bodies on a project in the end just slows down the really productive members of the team as they are scrambling teaching the new bodies what to do and praying they don't break what has already been done. Sheesh....... history just keeps repeating itself.

Enough soap box.......

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on Jun 2, 2014 at 3:00:57 am

[Phil Hoppes] "Having worked in the corporate engineering world for close to 30 years, this practice of pulling people off project A and dumping them on Project B so B can ship earlier is so asinine it is not to be believed."

And then:

[Phil Hoppes] " I use to have this practice shoved down my throat all of the time."

So on the one hand this idea is so asanine that it can't be believed that Apple actually does it, and yet in 30 years of corporate engineering, you had that exact scenario "shoved down your throat" all the time?

Am I missing something here?

Return to posts index

Phil Hoppes
on Jun 2, 2014 at 11:52:02 am

Yea.

1) It's an asinine practice and ....

2) No one ever learns and continues to do it somehow thinking that this time things will be different.

3) I just kinda was hoping that may Apple was above it, but no, they do the same crap.

I can say with definite experience. It does not work. I was forced to do it against my wishes on numerous occasions. The results were always the same.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 2, 2014 at 5:50:41 pm

[Phil Hoppes] "I just kinda was hoping that may Apple was above it, but no, they do the same crap."

While that may be true, this thread was based on Olivers somewhat tongue in cheek premise that the FCP X team had been pulled off to other tasks. I doubt that's true.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:43:15 pm

[Charlie Austin] "While that may be true, this thread was based on Olivers somewhat tongue in cheek premise that the FCP X team had been pulled off to other tasks. I doubt that's true."

Of course it's not true. 10.10 and iOS8 will be one and the same, so they've actually moved programmers off the OS X team over to the FCP X team, right?

Walter Soyka
Designer & Mad Scientist at Keen Live [link]
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
@keenlive [twitter]   |   RenderBreak [blog]   |   Profile [LinkedIn]

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on Jun 2, 2014 at 6:44:36 pm

[Walter Soyka] "so they've actually moved programmers off the OS X team over to the FCP X team, right?"

You're not supposed to reveal that Walter! Didn't you sign an NDA?!?!

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 2, 2014 at 7:15:39 pm

[Charlie Austin] "... Olivers somewhat tongue in cheek premise that the FCP X team had been pulled off to other tasks"

While I find the recent penchant for unfounded rumour odd, these are alluding to past reports on the way Apple has shifted engineering teams around.

ie.
http://seekingalpha.com/news/923421
http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1023184
http://www.cnet.com/news/rumor-apple-to-release-new-final-cut-studio-this-s...
http://www.512pixels.net/blog/2013/11/progress-regression
(note: original Hardmac link seems to be non-existent)

Franz.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 2, 2014 at 7:23:58 pm

While my comment was indeed tongue-in-cheek, Apple does have a development process where some engineers work across product lines. For example, UI development has in the past been handled by engineers who move from one product to another. I believe some of the folks have moved between Aperture and FCP as well as FC Server, in the past. That's not necessarily a bad thing.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on Jun 4, 2014 at 1:54:05 pm

I finally had a chance to watch a bit of the WWDC keynote dealing with Yosemite. It strikes me that FCP X will probably get the flattening treatment to be more in line visually with the other Apple apps, like iMovie, Pages, Numbers, etc. Plus other changes to tie into hooks within the OS. Seems like that might be part of the hold-up in getting an update out. An interesting addition would be to tie it into iCloud for sharing.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Jun 4, 2014 at 3:53:57 pm

[Oliver Peters] "t strikes me that FCP X will probably get the flattening treatment to be more in line visually with the other Apple apps, ..."

Oliver,

Well, if history is any indication, Apple doesn't really put much effort into keeping its Pro Apps "current" in terms of interface design.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2014 at 7:19:43 am

[Oliver Peters] "I guess all the FCP X engineers have been pulled off for a while to get these out the door by fall. ;-)"

Nope. Actually, I heard they're having a hard time figuring out how to put tracks back in, as well as renaming them just to piss off everyone who misses them. :-P

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 31, 2014 at 12:54:28 pm

I would vote for "audio organization segments."

Tim

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 31, 2014 at 4:10:03 pm

[TImothy Auld] "I would vote for "audio organization segments.""

xRails®

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on Jun 2, 2014 at 9:51:09 pm

xrails (TM Charlie Austin) wins without question here. Charlie Austin is The King.

Tim

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 31, 2014 at 7:08:17 pm

[Charlie Austin] "
Nope. Actually, I heard they're having a hard time figuring out how to put tracks back in, as well as renaming them just to piss off everyone who misses them. :-P"

Oh no! Not tracks, please anything but that. No tracks, please. Make this insanity stop!

Dave
Former Trackhead Person

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Jun 1, 2014 at 1:56:40 am

Cause I don't think I've posted it here and it seems apt.

http://disproportionatepictures.blogspot.ca/2014/05/roles.html

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Jun 3, 2014 at 1:04:44 am

Excellent and interesting contribution to the debate Marcus.

Always nice to read someone thinking about what change enables - rather than more wheel spinning bemoaning what needed to be discarded in order to alliw for new possibilities.

Nice piece.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]