FORUMS: list search recent posts

Signs of the times?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bill Davis
Signs of the times?
on May 29, 2014 at 5:33:25 pm

I want to make it clear I have no clue what the existence of this video means.

I don't know if this is pure "video has been democratized" lets celebrate it - or whether it's a sign of the professional production industry apocalypse. Or both. Or neither.

I just know this truly odd video - quality completely aside from content - detached from anything but the most MICRO of economic back ends - has an existence that would have been a joke even 10 years ago.

And now it's not.

Whatever that means.

Want to re-invent yourself as a "hippie jib operator - will work for fresh kale" anyone?

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
Re: Signs of the times?
on May 29, 2014 at 5:43:49 pm

I hope it's a sign of the times. Organic, non-GMO foods at reduced prices from people with a sense of humor and a groove. What is not to like?

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 29, 2014 at 5:50:06 pm

The BTS for more insight. to me.. it's a creative person doing something creative. Good TV? Bad TV? Who's to say... I quite enjoyed it.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on May 29, 2014 at 6:01:51 pm

And one more traditional from the same producer/farm hand.

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
on May 29, 2014 at 6:02:25 pm

I'm with Brian...enjoyable, unique. Well done.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Paul Neumann
on May 29, 2014 at 6:42:39 pm

One of my best clients is a family-owned health food/organic grocery store. They are absolutely a gas to work with. Open to everything, will ask for anything and always pay within 2 weeks. TV spots, web videos, seminars, artwork, presentations, radio spots, etc. They keep me busy so I've got a real soft spot for stuff like this.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 29, 2014 at 7:41:49 pm

Hahaha, that was great! Better than the bland local cable ads for locally grown food, here in CT.

"Letting their freak flag fly" as we used to say. And isn't micro economics good, material to easy and cheap to produce (sorry for the pun) that if it gets a hundred of their best customers and website devotees to come out for the weekend sale, it's pure profit.

We shot a piece for "Eco-Lan" many years ago, about a biodegrade able moisture covering for sprouts on an organic farm. It was boring, 16mm and nearly every penny went into film and lab costs. Camerawork free for us kids who wanted to practice operating while exposing someone else's stock. Without benefit of internet, I don't know who ever saw the thing.

This is all about "how we do it now" and I like it. Put me down for Psychedelic Psound Man!

Doug D

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on May 29, 2014 at 8:33:19 pm

I think it's great. Humourous, sassy and a good example of something that would have looked pants just a few short years ago given their (probably small) budget.

More power to their peaceful bellies, I say!

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 29, 2014 at 9:48:12 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on May 29, 2014 at 9:48:44 pm

bill davis "has an existence that would have been a joke even 10 years ago. "

??? I thought it was funny and well done..... creative spot simply done....what's the issue?

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 29, 2014 at 11:20:43 pm

Thank goodness I'm not the only one who enjoyed that! I thought there was something wrong with me. Lose the twerking though.

Return to posts index

Kannan Raghavan
on May 30, 2014 at 12:54:18 am

"twas really nice:) Very enjoyable, they must've had fun making thet video:)

Kannan Raghavan
The Big Toad Films Pte. Ltd.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 30, 2014 at 6:40:22 am

Andy,

I just meant that back in the era where equipment and expertise was much harder to find, the cost of producing something at this level of quality was beyond most folk. Consider the "custom soundtrack" alone. Without today's "drag and drop" easy auto tune and on-demand file based music assembly programs - the custom song recording alone would have been a daunting task. Now, not so much.

Not long ago, any client asking for something this sophisticated (a fully realized music video w/custom score) wasnt very reasonable in the modest budget space. Today it's obviously possible for the smaller budget producer with the right skill set.

I posted it because I enjoyed it too.

I'm pleased the reaction here wasn't how the "Jimmy with a camcorder" types are killing the perceived value of the craft - but instead that "Doug with a DSLR" Is OK if the work itself holds up.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on May 30, 2014 at 4:40:02 am

Portlandia skit?

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 30, 2014 at 5:17:55 pm

Lots of fun!

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Bobby Mosca
on May 30, 2014 at 9:18:37 pm

I get what you're saying, Bill. Not long ago no one would have spent the time, money and effort to put together something so silly. There also wouldn't have been a good place to put it where anyone would see it.

Personally, it's cringe-enducing. It's just SO CHEESY! It's almost embarrassing to watch. But give me a Saturday afternoon with some good friends and some top shelf stuff, and I'd have a blast doing something this ridiculous. You see a lot of this coming from college kids these days, and the cost isn't just low, it's zero in a lot of cases.

Truth is, it's fun to let fly. I'm sure there were plenty of people talking about how terrible a lot of production will be when the cost of all this falls, and they are absolutely right. There is a lot of garbage out there, but that isn't new, and doesn't even need to be cheap (Batman Forever). Maybe one or two great ideas will come out of these absurd little videos, and we're all better off for it.

But yeah. Hard to watch. Just saying.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 30, 2014 at 9:21:48 pm

there has to be a funny point that 12 people in a greenhouse today can be, for a bit, as vertically integrated as warner brothers was in the the thirties -

they actually kind of do have the definition control of, for pennies, state of the art production, distribution and global mass exhibition.
or at least they did for the afternoon they decided they wanted it. someone in iceland probably watched that.

I personally prefer the greatest commercial ever made myself:

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]