FORUMS: list search recent posts

Pixelmator keeps getting gooder...

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Charlie Austin
Pixelmator keeps getting gooder...
on May 22, 2014 at 5:30:07 pm
Last Edited By Charlie Austin on May 22, 2014 at 5:40:35 pm

New version out. If you haven't tried it, it's well worth the 29 bucks...

http://pixelmator

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
Re: Pixelmator keeps getting gooder...
on May 22, 2014 at 5:56:01 pm

Got it a few weeks back when it was on sale for $14.99, not that $29.99 isn't a bargain considering.

It doesn't do everything Photoshop does but it does most of the common tasks.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2014 at 5:58:13 pm

[Craig Seeman] "It doesn't do everything Photoshop does but it does most of the common tasks."

True, but it's getting there...

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 22, 2014 at 5:57:25 pm

Hey Charlie -

Not familiar with this software. Looks to be a Photoshop Lite? Certainly can't beat the price. Easy to use? Thanks in advance.

Scott

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2014 at 6:04:10 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Looks to be a Photoshop Lite? Certainly can't beat the price. Easy to use? Thanks in advance."

Kind of... As Craig said, it doesn't have all the features of Photoshop. For instance I don't think it can do Layer Styles. I'm no PS expert, maybe someone else can go into greater detail regarding what it *can't* do. There's a ton of info on their site...

However, it's very easy to use, pleasant UI to work in, has a Vector mode, and does the majority of things one might need very well. And the price is definitely right.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 22, 2014 at 6:11:58 pm

I thought I saw that Layer Styles is added in this release...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2014 at 6:15:51 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "I thought I saw that Layer Styles is added in this release..."

It may well be. I have pretty basic needs and don't use a lot of the features. And as David points out, it does "flatten" the image as you go. You can browse versions and go back, but not the same as real non-destructive editing. Seems like the developers are pretty responsive though, so hopefully it'll appear at some point...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2014 at 6:36:38 pm

Flatten? You mean like merge all the layers? No, it doesn't do that. It works just like PS, and while it doesn't support all the features of PS, you can save, edit and exchange PS files between it and PS if you like. The layers remain in tact. Both apps have layer styles. But if you open PS in Pixelmator or vice versa, the layer styles will be flattened. Not the whole file. Pixelmator only has Drop Shadow, Inner shadow, stroke, gradient fill, and reflection. The latter being pretty cool.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2014 at 6:43:12 pm

[Bret Williams] "Flatten? You mean like merge all the layers? No, it doesn't do that"

Bad choice of words... I meant going back and adjusting previously applied effects on individual layers. Or can it do that now?

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2014 at 6:59:03 pm

Like PS of a few years ago, only styles are live effects. Similar ones - drop shadow, stroke, gardent fill, and reflection. But no bevel I don't think.

Filters are destructive. But I'd forgotten about smart filters anyway in PS.

Where it really falls short is all the crazy extended stuff PS can do. Import and paint and animate 3D models and such. But as a video editor, PS is a basic tool to open a still and manipulate it. Or use it to create mockups or backgrounds. Sometimes we'll do text in it and bring in the separate layers. All stuff Pixelmator can do. It can save as PS which makes the layered files compatible with editing and motion graphics apps.

Not liking the black interface. It doesn't have tabbed windows, or a good full screen mode like PS. It's no PS. But it'll do.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 22, 2014 at 7:02:56 pm

Gotcha... I don't do too much crazy stuff in it, essentially thsame as you outline...

[Bret Williams] "But as a video editor, PS is a basic tool to open a still and manipulate it. Or use it to create mockups or backgrounds. Sometimes we'll do text in it and bring in the separate layers. All stuff Pixelmator can do."

[Bret Williams] "Not liking the black interface. It doesn't have tabbed windows, or a good full screen mode like PS. It's no PS."

I actually like the UI, but I agree about the windows. It can get pretty messy, especially on smaller screens...

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 22, 2014 at 7:46:56 pm

I think rasterize is the correct terminology. Still no ability to edit an effect after committing. At least not that I am aware of. Still a great product and a great value. Surprised that Acorn was not mentioned as another alternative but it is somewhat more expensive. It is also available in the App store and has a very good rating from what I could see.

Wish that I could have the The Foundry Nuke as well, but it is out of my price range at the moment.

Only real beef I have with Motion is that annoying beach ball on launch. I have Red Giant Universe and wondering could that be the culprit.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 22, 2014 at 6:07:23 pm

Very easy to use but be aware once you apply a filter then commit, there is no way of making any changes. Hoping for a non-destructive workflow in the next update. The ability to lock layers is nice.

Photoshop is slow to launch but Pixelmator is very fast and so far, very reliable. Got it for the sale price, nice little addition.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 23, 2014 at 3:59:49 am
Last Edited By Mitch Ives on May 23, 2014 at 4:00:42 am

[Scott Witthaus] "Not familiar with this software. Looks to be a Photoshop Lite? Certainly can't beat the price. Easy to use? Thanks in advance."

I think it's a bit more than that. I bought it awhile back, because CS6 only allows two installs and I had a Macbook Air that needs to do an occasional image tweak. Adding insult to injury... Pixelmator was a 64 bit app before PS was... ouch!

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 22, 2014 at 6:03:59 pm

Just installed the update today. Still a destructive workflow but at least you can now lock layers. Keeping my eye on iDraw, surprised Acorn did not get mentioned either. Both available in the App store.

Read in another post where Motion is a very good alternative to Photoshop, it does make sense. More flexibility and non-destructive workflow is a huge benefit. Trying to figure out how to do a gradient mask in addition to a luminance matte but might be overlooking something. I think adding a gradient into the group you want affected should do the trick and set blend mode to stencil luma?

I think that Apple should develop Motion further and make a competitor to Photoshop though Motion is very much up to the task, even for a still image such as a photograph.

Waiting for Resolve 11 to get released. I must say FCP X and Motion are really starting to look good. No need to guzzle down a 6 pack to see it in that way, either.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2014 at 6:40:37 pm

Before PS had smart filters, there used to be talk of editing images in AE, because every thing in AE is always adjustable.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 22, 2014 at 6:44:03 pm

iDraw just had a HUGE update the other day. Addressing many of the concerns illustrator users had. Layers now twirl down into groups (folders) and separate layers for each object / element. Nice new transform palette too.

It's much more adobeish than Pixelmator. Pixelmator is very apple-ish. Wouldn't be surprised if Apple were to just buy these kinds of apps as a jumping off point if they ever did delve more into image editing.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 22, 2014 at 9:52:40 pm

Looks good, what's the monthly rental? :)

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 22, 2014 at 11:47:29 pm

Like Avid you can either buy or rent - $29 to buy or .49 cents month to rent - I'm thinking of buying as there are many times I don't have the .49 cents in my account and I'd hate to lose access...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 23, 2014 at 1:47:57 am

The monthly rent is too expensive over the long term. :-)

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 23, 2014 at 3:57:45 am

[Steve Connor] "Looks good, what's the monthly rental? :)"

[Lance Bachelder] "Like Avid you can either buy or rent - $29 to buy or .49 cents month to rent - I'm thinking of buying as there are many times I don't have the .49 cents in my account and I'd hate to lose access..."

You guys... you had me laughing... Lance is right... cash flow is a fickle thing...

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 23, 2014 at 4:50:39 pm

Seriously though, speaking as a long-time Photoshop power-user and having watched a bunch of the tutorial videos, the app looks pretty great!

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 23, 2014 at 4:57:46 pm

Yes, keeping in mind how mature Photoshop is, the Pixelmator developers are very aggressive. Given they are Mac only and taking advantage of Mac specific functions helps in that regard as well.

I don't doubt that Adobe's move to subscription which may have increased Pixelmator sales (and potential sales) has motivated them.

Considering this is a $30 app they must have a very lean and productive development operation.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 23, 2014 at 5:09:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] "Yes, keeping in mind how mature Photoshop is, the Pixelmator developers are very aggressive. Given they are Mac only and taking advantage of Mac specific functions helps in that regard as well.

I don't doubt that Adobe's move to subscription which may have increased Pixelmator sales (and potential sales) has motivated them. "

Yes, this app was 64 bit before PS was. The subscription model was why I bought it, as well as iDraw...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 23, 2014 at 5:54:51 pm

Check out the Pixelmator Tutorials on Vimeo. Very impressive:

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 23, 2014 at 6:08:50 pm

Very impressive, hope they develop this application even more. It has potential. Great little addition to go with Motion, fast, reliable and a pleasure to use.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 24, 2014 at 5:13:43 am

I was just messing with the new repair tool... Really nice. At least as good as the PS Context Aware feature, at least on the images I was messing with. Not quite as magical as the demo (what ever is though?), but impressive. :-)

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 24, 2014 at 8:26:16 pm
Last Edited By David Mathis on May 24, 2014 at 8:27:48 pm

[Charlie Austin] "Not quite as magical as the demo (what ever is though?), but impressive. "

Nothing is as it seems :-) Perhaps then I am pixilated for all I know.

My Final Cut Studio:

Core Software
Final Cut Pro X
Motion 5
Resolve
Pixelmator

Plug-ins
Red Giant Universe

Utilities
7 to X
Clip Exporter
Ultrascope

Cameras
Black Magic Cinema Camera
Canon (consumer model)

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 25, 2014 at 12:41:40 pm

Dave - a bit OT but...

Nice studio setup you have there. Exactly what I am aiming for. Thanks.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]