FORUMS: list search recent posts

Petition signatures pass 3,000

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Hamdani Milas
Petition signatures pass 3,000
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:30:52 pm

(My first posting to this forum, although I've been a regular browser and picked up much useful advice in the FCP forum from all the willing people who contribute, thank you all)

I signed the Final Cut Pro X is Not a Professional Application Petition, no 112. I have misgivings about some of the wording and its tone but it has just passed 3,000 signatures and the rate of new signatures being added seems to be gaining momentum. The press will take notice once the numbers rise.

http://www.petitiononline.com/finalcut/petition.html

Do consider signing, at least it's an attempt to give voice to worldwide concern at Apple's misstep in foisting a beta application onto its loyal FCP users and they may just take notice and put FCP Suite 3 back on the shelves so that independent film-makers can grow their businesses and newcomers can join the industry. Meanwhile Apple can continue to bring FCP X to maturity based on constructive input from the hundreds of thousands of people worldwide who make their living with it.

To their credit Apple has made one concession already, the latest software update links to FCP Suite 3 have been reinstated to the correct downloads, instead of sending you to the FCP X Buy page as was happening in the first few days of X's release!

Mike Hardcastle in the LAFPCUG FCPX forum made an important point about software as being of social importance and it is worth repeating. It could be said that in taking FCP Suite 3 off the shelves and stopping support for it, Apple are demonstrating a cynical lack of "corporate social responsibility" in their own self interest. I know this phrase well because I've written it as a key script message in several corporate videos I have produced.

We'll be happy to embrace FCP X when it meets the professional requirements of people working in commercial video production. As of now FCP X clearly cannot compete.

Hamdani Milas
Producer, director, cinematographer, editor
Hong Kong
(40 years as a film-maker, still going strong and I have seen a lot of technology come and go. I've always been eager to embrace anything new if it makes the job easier, adds value and, most importantly, allows the film-maker to create with a minimum of aggravation from the tools being used. It's always been the survival of the fittest in the demanding world of film production and this applies to software and hardware as well as people. Final Cut Pro Suite 3 has proven itself as one of the fittest. There's a good reason for that.)

Return to posts index

Jerry Hofmann
Re: Petition signatures pass 3,000
on Jun 28, 2011 at 2:54:23 pm

You actually think Apple isn't aware of the "missing" features already?

Jerry

Apple Certified Trainer, Producer, Writer, Director Editor, Gun for Hire and other things. I ski. My Blog: http://blogs.creativecow.net/Jerry-Hofmann

Current DVD:
http://store.creativecow.net/p/81/jerry_hofmanns_final_cut_system_setup

8-Core 3.0 Intel Mac Pro, Dual 2 gig G5, AJA Kona SD, AJA Kona 2, Huge Systems Array UL3D, AJA Io HD, 17" MBP, Matrox MXO2 with MAX - Cinema Displays I have a 22" that I paid 4k for still working. G4 with Kona SD card, and SCSI card.

Return to posts index

Hamdani Milas
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:30:22 pm

I don't know what Apple is aware of regarding the missing features in FCPX because no clear official statement has been forthcoming about the current state of the application or its continued development.

What we do know is that Apple saw fit to launch FCP X in its current state as the application that "changed everything in post". While at the same time deactivating the FCP suite. Which has upset quite a lot of people as these forums attest.

I have no doubt that Apple will add the missing features and the enhancements needed to make FCPX into a professional quality tool, but when and according to whose needs or fancies? Meanwhile posters here are already discussing how they can get licenses for additional seats for FCP.

The petition is simply to help raise Apple's awareness and prompt them into action. If the petition numbers get high enough the press will get interested. Apple will then be under pressure to get down off their iCloud and respond to reason as a responsible corporate citizen.

Fundamentally isn't this all about a business relationship between Apple and its professional users who depend on software and hardware they have invested in to grow their business?

We pay Apple's salaries and grow their shareholders investment. A dialogue should be opened.

Hamdani Milas

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:08:00 pm

[Jerry Hofmann] "You actually think Apple isn't aware of the "missing" features already?"

Nope.
It's the boondoggle of the year.
In addition to apple, there are quite a few professionals using the product right now that are also not aware of any missing features. Or that apple has made a huge blunder in the development of X, and the handling of the release.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:07:42 pm

well put.

http://www.ogallchoir.net
promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:44:44 pm

Wow! That last line requesting them to sell it by a certain date would keep me from signing that petition. It's too strong. You wouldn't be happy if they added the missing features and improved upon what's there? As bad as it is, I don't think it takes a lot to fix this problem. It's more about how fast they can do it and how they address the professional community. At some point, there will be a statement from Jobs about this. What he says could put a lot of concern to rest IMO.

Return to posts index

Ted Levy
on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:24:33 pm

I don't like some of the petition wording or tone either, but maybe it's worth signing because it conveys the basic displeasure of FCP editors, and has the momentum of many signatures behind it already. Obviously Apple isn't bound to any of the petition's provisions, but they might take positive steps based on the overall message it sends.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 28, 2011 at 7:42:37 pm

[Craig Shields] "That last line requesting them to sell it by a certain date would keep me from signing that petition."

No offense, but are you afraid of apple? Everyone talks about how arrogant apple is, and how they don't listen. Maybe it's time to smack them with a rolled up newspaper.

[Craig Shields] "You wouldn't be happy if they added the missing features and improved upon what's there?"

No.
I paid a lot more for FCS2, and they haven't finished fixing that yet. And then there is the whole pulling of FCS3 thing. So no, no and NO.

[Craig Shields] "As bad as it is, I don't think it takes a lot to fix this problem."
If that is the case they could have had a Q&A at the NAB Supermeet with a hands on demo. They had a room full of professional users whose opinion could have been invaluable. In the period between the demo, and release they had plenty of time to address at least some, if not all of this. Or they could have waited to release Movie Hero until those concerns were addressed.
Of course that is under the working assumption that they need the professional community for anything other than a prop in their adverts.

[Craig Shields] "It's more about how fast they can do it and how they address the professional community. At some point, there will be a statement from Jobs about this. What he says could put a lot of concern to rest IMO."

It is already too late. Over. Done. Kaput. The world is no longer moving at typewriter and FAX machine speeds. Walter Soyka was right when he said apple was burning their built up goodwill. After 7 days, the fuel is gone. The tank is empty. Except for a half dozen or so vocal fanboys and apologists, they have 'lost the room'. They have lost long time users and supporters, vocal proponents, and even some of the fanboys. They have lost little names, and big names. The wait and see types, the optimists, all gone too. And of course the skeptics were lost at the demo.
They have created a firestorm that is no longer contained in our small little clique', and is being reported on in the mainstream press. Media savvy consumers that may have never heard of FCP, now know that professional are saying "Final Cut, it's not for me". Well, so much for using the pro user to sell to the pro-sumer.
Jobs had his window of opportunity, and he blew it. He might as well stay silent.

Scott Sheriff
Director

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Craig Shields
on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:18:38 pm

Why would I be afraid of Apple? I'm just not going to put my name to anything that doesn't come off as professional. That petition is a waist of time.

No offense to you either Sheriff but if you are done with Apple, why are you still hanging around this forum and posting as often as you are - each time more venomous than the previous? If they have blown it with you, then why not move on to the next thing? Maybe you are a little more optimistic than you let on that they will right the ship.

Also, I mentioned this to you in an encounter before. Don't go dismissing everybody that differs from you with the "fanboy" wrap. People are different and you should be able to respect another man's opinion. Personally, when I see someone calling someone else a fanboy, I think of some teen typing away on his Dad's computer. It's a bit childish.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 28, 2011 at 8:40:26 pm

[Craig Shields] "Why would I be afraid of Apple? I'm just not going to put my name to anything that doesn't come off as professional. That petition is a waist of time.

No offense to you either Sheriff but if you are done with Apple, why are you still hanging around this forum and posting as often as you are - each time more venomous than the previous? If they have blown it with you, then why not move on to the next thing? Maybe you are a little more optimistic than you let on that they will right the ship.

Also, I mentioned this to you in an encounter before. Don't go dismissing everybody that differs from you with the "fanboy" wrap. People are different and you should be able to respect another man's opinion. Personally, when I see someone calling someone else a fanboy, I think of some teen typing away on his Dad's computer. It's a bit childish."

Yawn...

[Craig Shields] "No offense to you either Sheriff"

BTW, that is Mr. Sheriff to you, sir. Since you are so concerned with how professional you look here.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
follow up
on Jun 28, 2011 at 9:35:06 pm

[Craig Shields] "No offense to you either Sheriff but if you are done with Apple, why are you still hanging around this forum and posting as often as you are - each time more venomous than the previous?"

Let me follow up with this.
This is a public forum, of which I am a member. I have received not so much as even an 'informal warning' about the content, or the nature of my writing from Ron or any of the the other COWS staff.
I will continue to be critical of whomever I feel like, whenever I feel like, and will not be censored by you, or any other apple apologist.
On this point, I hope I'm perfectly clear.
If you, and others in your little clique' find this doesn't not suit you. Please feel free to avoid the debate, and continue to use inflammatory rhetoric, personal insults, misconstrue, misquote and take statements out of context in your unending quest to defend apple and your position.
And as a staunch defender of apple, I would also recommend you read this, and see where you fit in:
http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/335/6427

The only childishness I see here is when I criticize your beloved billion dollar corporation, and you and a select few others feel the need to personally attack us to defend it.
It is actually very sad and pathetic to see someone so emotionally invested in a marketing brand.

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Ted Levy
Re: follow up
on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:28:03 pm

Final Cat Fight X!

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
Re: follow up
on Jun 28, 2011 at 10:46:31 pm

[Ted Levy] "Final Cat Fight X!"

LOL!

FCF X. You should trademark that!

Scott Sheriff
Director

Return to posts index

Andrew Landini
on Jun 29, 2011 at 7:12:51 am

On a side note, Michael's campaign might be targeting the wrong audience...

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]