FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCP7 on Mavericks

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Douglas K. Dempsey
FCP7 on Mavericks
on May 19, 2014 at 6:37:51 pm

I have an iMac running Snow Leopard and FCP 7.0.3 -- the last "supported" combo.

I will need to sequester Legacy on its own partition, because I need to also install FCPX & Mavericks.

My question: should I preserve Legacy on a Snow Leopard partition, or does it run acceptably well under Mavericks?

Doug D

Return to posts index

Shane Ross
Re: FCP7 on Mavericks
on May 19, 2014 at 6:40:50 pm

Preserve a partition. Mavericks wasn't written with FCP 7 in mind. People have reported issues.

Shane
Little Frog Post
Read my blog, Little Frog in High Def

Return to posts index

Mathieu Ghekiere
on May 19, 2014 at 7:45:34 pm

No big issues, but as Shane said: there are some reported.

We noticed in DVD Studio Pro that we couldn't see colors anymore in the 'inspector' pane where you choose the Colors for your buttons. Don't know if this is a big problem for a lot of people, or if it was just isolated for us.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 19, 2014 at 7:50:04 pm

Thanks guys. Earlier, I ran Legacy on a Snow Leopard machine, with X on a small Mt. Lion boot partition, with no issues. So I'll just reverse things here, preserve a Legacy partition under Snow Leopard but put all the other app and everyday stuff on Mavericks, with X available.

This is for my son's iMac; he is interning in LA for the first time this summer. He knows Legacy, hasn't used X much, Premiere not at all... and is now going to meet a bunch of guys his age or slightly older who will doubtless say, "Avid, man!"

Doug D

Return to posts index

Rick Foxx
on May 19, 2014 at 7:51:01 pm

No issues here on Mavericks, but I'm on a 2013 Mac Pro and can't install Snow Leopard. If you have the option, a Snow Leopard partition should be rock solid with FCP7.

2013 MacPro 6 core 3.5 gHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD, 2012 rMacBook Pro, Areca ARC-8050, Final Cut Studio 3, Final Cut X, Adobe Production Premium CS6, Logic X

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 19, 2014 at 8:00:21 pm

Rick, thanks. Yeah that's why we still have the iMac running Snow Leopard. I also have a 17" MBP running Snow Leopard, "frozen" with nothing being updated, just to have a solid Final Cut Studio machine. If I make a DVD it's on that machine. All the old Legacy projects that I need to access are via that machine. I did demonstrate for my son, taking one of his FCP7 projects and using 7toX to translate it. A couple effects fell apart, and the titles all had to be redone ... but tracks-to-roles wise, it worked beautifully! So he may ease into X while deciding when to learn Avid.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on May 20, 2014 at 6:02:15 am

[Douglas K. Dempsey] " I also have a 17" MBP running Snow Leopard, "frozen" with nothing being updated"

Me too, same machine, except I'm running FCPX 10.0.4, since there was nothing in 10.0.6 or 10.0.9 or 10.1 that I really needed for my fairly simple 720p-straight-to-online work flow. I also can't find a single thing in Lion, ML, or Mavericks that would inspire me to upgrade. Being a one-man business, I don't have to answer to clients and don't get paid by the hour for upgrading. If it ain't broke...

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 19, 2014 at 8:16:41 pm

Fine here as well... Late 2012 iMac running 10.9.3.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Al LeVine
on May 19, 2014 at 8:33:42 pm

I'm on a 2013 MacPro with 10.9.3, finishing up our last few shows on FCP 7 as we move everything else over to Premiere CC.

FCP 7 works like a charm, renders REAL fast (3.5 Ghz 6-Core -- woah), and have had zero problems.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 19, 2014 at 8:35:21 pm

only issue on Leopard going forward I've seen is any old project with LiveType has issues - mangled projects, mixed up fonts.....for the most part anything old with LiveType is fairly useless..have to recreate the graphics with something else....

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]