FORUMS: list search recent posts

More Avid rattling as 4 leave to Gobbler

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Craig Seeman
More Avid rattling as 4 leave to Gobbler
on May 18, 2014 at 2:14:21 pm

Key Avid People Move To Gobbler
http://www.pro-tools-expert.com/home-page/2014/5/14/key-avid-people-move-to...

"In a move that has shocked many, 4 key Avid people with a combined employment record of over 55 years, have left Avid to join Gobbler, the cloud based storage and collaboration service."

Sibelius says:
http://www.sibeliusblog.com/news/bobby-lombardi-others-leaving-avid-for-gob...

PSNEurope:
http://www.psneurope.com/gobbler-gobbles-avid-veterans/

But Gobbler is important to Avid, no?

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
Re: More Avid rattling as 4 leave to Gobbler
on May 18, 2014 at 4:48:05 pm

I very much look forward to people's opinion on this. Reading thru the ProToolsExpert author's replies in the comments- it seems this is not a calculated move or some collaberative venture.

While I don't see myself moving back to avid- I think they fill an important place in the industry. Hopefully this isn't a sign of the end times!

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2014 at 6:26:54 pm

I noted this linked to as well in the comments.

Avid May 13 SEC filing.
http://ir.avid.com/secfiling.cfm?filingID=896841-14-27

Given the accounting costs they're being hit with, one wonders if senior level employees feel there will be no growth potential for them for some time if they were to stay with Avid.

$22 Million in cash reserves with remaining payments to restatements expected to be $15-20 Million.

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 18, 2014 at 9:22:53 pm

wait - I'm stupid - do you mean to say Avid have twenty two million dollars left as cash reserve?

With fifteen to twenty million set against it?

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 19, 2014 at 1:10:10 am

The way I read it, they reported what they have, how much more they expect to spend on accounting, what their borrowing potential is... if they wanted to go into debt to raise capital.

.... then they reported a couple of days later (other post I added) that after having stopped giving out stock grants to executives, they started that again "to retain and motivate management." This at about the time 4 senior employees jump ship.

Sure sounds like they're explaining how they'll soon be running on empty and how they're going to get there.

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 18, 2014 at 6:31:40 pm

Another interesting tidbit May 16 SEC

http://biz.yahoo.com/e/140516/avid8-k.html

Change in Directors or Principal Officers

Item 5.02 Departure of Directors or Certain Officers; Election of Directors; Appointment of Certain Officers; Compensatory Arrangements of Certain Officers

On May 14, 2014, the Compensation Committee (the "Committee") of the Board of Directors of Avid Technology, Inc. (the "Company") granted options to purchase shares of Avid's common stock to the Company's executive officers, including named executive officers, under the Company's 2005 Amended and Restated Stock Incentive Plan, all as set forth below. Historically, the Company has made equity awards to its executive officers and key employees in the February and March timeframes, respectively, or in connection with the executive or key employee's hire. However, following the commencement of the ongoing accounting review in late February 2013, the Company suspended its annual and new hire grants pending further review of the circumstances surrounding the restatement and evaluation of the Company's compensation programs in the context of the changes in the Company's management in 2013. Based on that review and evaluation and considering the importance to the Company of retaining and motivating management and key employees during the ongoing transformation of the Company, the Committee has determined to reinstitute regular option grants. In this regard, the Committee made the following option grants to our executive officers and other officers:

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 19, 2014 at 12:36:58 am

We really need the next player take a step up. Either Apple with a FCP X.2 release with a ton of new features that addresses the things that us collaborators in shops with 6 systems networked together need...and keep the perpetuity option...or Sony ports Vegas over to Mac...or Autodesk simplifies Smoke into a competent and complete AVID editor that Hollywood can adopt to move it's acceptance forward or Blackmagic outright buys AVID, but only the editing software.

Or?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 19, 2014 at 1:00:18 am

Lightworks for Mac open Beta will start June 11th so hopefully that will lead somewhere promising. Considering what Blackmagic is doing with Resolve I doubt they have any interest in Avid.

On one hand it's good to have so much competition in the NLE market on the other hand all the competitors keep snatching defeat from the jaws of victory.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 19, 2014 at 1:49:17 am

[Rich Rubasch] "Either Apple with a FCP X.2 release with a ton of new features that addresses the things that us collaborators ........or Sony ports Vegas over to Mac...or Autodesk simplifies Smoke into a competent and complete AVID editor that Hollywood can adopt .....or Blackmagic outright buys AVID."

None of this is going to happen. Apple doesn't particularly want that market. Vegas on the Mac? Doubtful, but possible since they did it with SoundForge. But, it's not a collaboration tool either. Smoke has played out and is now a rental software. BMD doesn't want Avid, since it's already developing Resolve to do that. Both Smoke and Resolve are positioned as finishing tools and not strong offline editors for large projects. So your viable alternatives today are - FCP X as is, Premiere Pro or Lightworks.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Rich Rubasch
on May 19, 2014 at 2:14:54 am

Media 100?

Rich Rubasch
Tilt Media Inc.
Video Production, Post, Studio Sound Stage
Founder/President/Editor/Designer/Animator
http://www.tiltmedia.com

Return to posts index

Jim Wiseman
on May 19, 2014 at 3:29:37 am
Last Edited By Jim Wiseman on May 19, 2014 at 3:33:19 am

I'm still using Media 100 latest version, but I doubt they have interest in stepping up to that plate. Works quite well, still 32 bit. I'm going FCPX and waiting to see if BlackMagic can pull it off with Resolve. Anything but disgraced (in my opinion) Adobe.

Jim Wiseman
Sony PMW-EX1, Pana AJ-D810 DVCPro, DVX-100, Nikon D7000, Final Cut Pro X 10.1.1, Final Cut Studio 2 and 3, Media 100 Suite 2.1.5, Premiere Pro CS 5.5 and 6.0, AJA ioHD, AJA Kona LHi, Blackmagic Ultrastudio 4K, Avid MC, 2013 Mac Pro Hexacore, 1 TB SSD, 64GB RAM, 2-D500: 2012 Hexacore MacPro 3.33 Ghz 24Gb RAM GTX-285 120GB SSD, Macbook Pro 17" 2011 2.2 Ghz Quadcore i7 16GB RAM 250GB SSD

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 19, 2014 at 5:10:02 am

Just what market does Apple want? Too expensive for the consumer. Not pro enough for Hollywood or TV. And too controversial / arguably feature lacking for many prosumers.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 19, 2014 at 6:19:56 am

[Bret Williams] "Too expensive for the consumer"

For someone who needs more than what comes preloaded on the computer… probably not.

[Bret Williams] "Not pro enough for Hollywood or TV"

Sure it is. It's not the same enough for some people in Hollywood or TV.

[Bret Williams] "And too controversial / arguably feature lacking for many prosumers."

Prosumers are the folks who are using it the most, despite sentiment on this forum. But it is true that it couldn't replace the type of collaborative workflow Avid is known for. I'm not sure what could at this point… Adobe is trying, but it's not there yet.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 19, 2014 at 7:26:13 am

I guess I'm thinking more "corporate" than Prosumer. Consumers just aren't spending $300 unless they're just a video fanatic. Most are going to use iMovie. And I feel once you get into the prosumer and corporate markets, $300, $1000, what's the difference? It's more important that it does what you need. And for the smaller shops, it probably is a great fit. But like you said, once you get into collaborative workflows, it's not exactly taking off in popularity. Consumers aren't picking it up in volume, and corporate hasn't exactly made it any sort of standard. Prosumer isn't a big enough category to make the money on, so what market was their target? Originally the thought was that they're going to take over the low end, but the price tag just isn't low enough. So the price tag is too high for the low end, and not enough to make up the difference even if it became the defacto for the high end.

I've cut the cord with Adobe CC, and I'm looking forward to trying Resolve 11. They have the basics right from the start, where FCP X has some nice new paradigms and flashy features I love, but it's missing so many edit 101 basics that after 3 years it's getting a little annoying.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 19, 2014 at 8:10:11 am

[Bret Williams] " and corporate hasn't exactly made it any sort of standard. "perhaps not where you are, but I've seen quite a few Corporate Production companies using it

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Ronny Courtens
on May 19, 2014 at 1:04:23 pm

Same here. I'm helping a major European production company make the transition from Avid/Unity to a more cost-effective collaborative FCP X workflow at this moment. Larger setups like these take more time to adapt, but I'm sure this is going to be a lovely addition to the FCP X In Action page in the near future.

- Ronny

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 19, 2014 at 1:53:04 pm

I don't doubt part of what's been missing are people with the expertise to set up larger project collaborative workflow. That's beginning to change as Ronny attests to. FCPWorks is another example.

As to Apple's target, consider the time/effort Apple just put in to developing the new Library structure. While it may not be Avid/Unity/Isis yet, collaborative workflow does seem to be on Apple's radar now.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 19, 2014 at 1:56:08 pm

[Craig Seeman] "As to Apple's target, consider the time/effort Apple just put in to developing the new Library structure. While it may not be Avid/Unity/Isis yet, collaborative workflow does seem to be on Apple's radar now."

I don't see how Libraries = Unity. It's basically what's there in Aperture and Logic Pro X. Hardly project sharing. Library simply reverted the FCP X structure back to the FCP "legacy" structure, with some advances.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Craig Seeman
on May 19, 2014 at 2:08:49 pm

[Oliver Peters] "I don't see how Libraries = Unity. It's basically what's there in Aperture and Logic Pro X. Hardly project sharing. Library simply reverted the FCP X structure back to the FCP "legacy" structure, with some advances.
"

Current state is not the end state. It's a new starting point. ...Unless you think Apple has ceased all development on project sharing. Even if they simply focus on hooks for third parties I suspect they'll be more happening in that area.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 19, 2014 at 8:48:34 am

[Bret Williams] "But like you said, once you get into collaborative workflows, it's not exactly taking off in popularity."

I guess I was referring to the specific collaborative workflow niche that Avid has carved out. Again, I don't know that anything has really replicated that. But as far as collaboration a la FCP 7/ Pr X works just fine at this point.

[Bret Williams] "Consumers aren't picking it up in volume"

I don't know whether that's true< I guess there are entire, convoluted threads here about that so I'll leave that alone. ;-)

[Bret Williams] "I'm looking forward to trying Resolve 11. They have the basics right from the start, where FCP X has some nice new paradigms and flashy features I love, but it's missing so many edit 101 basics that after 3 years it's getting a little annoying."

I think R11 is going to be really nice, and very capable, but I don't know that's it's a (insert NLE name here) killer, and I don't that BMD intends it to be. And yes, there are a few things "missing" in X, but I wouldn't say "so many". Of course YMMV. :-)

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 19, 2014 at 1:09:15 pm

[Bret Williams] "Just what market does Apple want? Too expensive for the consumer. Not pro enough for Hollywood or TV. And too controversial / arguably feature lacking for many prosumers."

In the context of collaboration and Avid, we are talking about project sharing (Unity) and integrated asset management (Interplay/Media Central). Arguably that's a niche within a niche. I don't believe Apple has interest in doing the R&D to make that happen, although they are happy to create hooks for third parties to extend FCP X into that arena if they can (like Cantemo Portal).

Apple walked away from that type of enterprise business when they canned Xserve, Final Cut Server, etc. That sort of enterprise solution requires extensive IT support on top of the development costs and Apple is simply not in that game. Spending money to make iPhones compatible with Microsoft Exchange gets them a much bigger slice of the enterprise pie, with much lower support costs.

FCP X is and will always be an 80/20 solution. If that 80% covers all of the bases for you in your professional workflow, then it's a 100% professional application. However, if you need what's in the other 20%, then FCP X comes up short. In the end, if you buy a new Mac Pro AND Media Composer, Apple still comes out ahead with or without an FCP X sale. Odds are, though, that you'll still add FCP X to the arsenal, as it will do some things that help all of your video workflows, even if it isn't your primary NLE.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 19, 2014 at 2:41:55 pm

Don't get me wrong. I've been making money with it nearly every day for 2+ years now. They made great strides with 10.1 especially toward collaboration / sharing media. The 3rd party plugin market is great. The logging, scrubbing is great. The new timeline paradigm has it's ups and downs. But so do tracks, so I could go either way. But what is almost insulting is how resolve 11 can come (almost) out of nowhere and start off with a good base set of standard features, and after 3 years FCP X can't seem to get it in gear to implement some of the things that would tip the scale for some users. They've got all these neat new innovative features but they still can't implement trimming on multiple clips at once. Ganging. Start/end in edit transitions. Audio/role mixer. Dynamic trimming. Decent keyframing. So many things. I think many were looking forward to these sort of "feature parity with legacy and the rest of the NLE world" additions with 10.1, and as time drags on and the competition increases the omissions get more frustrating.

It's funny, these conversations about Resolve 11 feel like a flashback to the late nineties when the chatter was all about FCP 1.0 and how it was going to change everything when it was released. And it did. Not at first, but eventually.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 19, 2014 at 3:36:54 pm

[Bret Williams] " I think many were looking forward to these sort of "feature parity with legacy and the rest of the NLE world" additions with 10.1, and as time drags on and the competition increases the omissions get more frustrating. "

I'm not in complete disagreement with you. Maybe I'm just more tolerant and/or I do fall into the 80% niche. I also find that when I work in other NLE's I miss what X does, more than I miss things in X that other NLE's do better/differently.

[Bret Williams] "It's funny, these conversations about Resolve 11 feel like a flashback to the late nineties when the chatter was all about FCP 1.0 and how it was going to change everything when it was released. And it did. Not at first, but eventually."

I terms of what it costs (at least the lite version), I do think R11 could shake things up. But unlike X, at least from what I've seen, it doesn't really do anything wildy differently than other track based NLE's... At least in terms of how the editing module works. So in that sense it kinda is like the FCP 1 days. Obviously it's more than just an NLE, and that's a big selling point. But if you like the FCP X timeline, R11 isn't offering anything like it as far as I can tell.

Return to posts index

Chris Kenny
on May 19, 2014 at 3:34:38 pm

[Oliver Peters] "In the context of collaboration and Avid, we are talking about project sharing (Unity) and integrated asset management (Interplay/Media Central). Arguably that's a niche within a niche. I don't believe Apple has interest in doing the R&D to make that happen, although they are happy to create hooks for third parties to extend FCP X into that arena if they can (like Cantemo Portal)."

Thing is, for low-bandwidth offline video formats there's basically no problem left to solve in terms of media sharing — built-in OS file sharing over gigabit ethernet can pretty easily handle serving up several streams of ProRes LT or whatever.

So all that really needs to happen for 'real' collaborative workflow (at least for small teams) is some sort of library/event sharing. Some versions of that — letting two people interactively edit on the same timeline, for instance — would be complicated to implement, while others — letting multiple users open a library at the same time and exclusively 'lock' and work on different events — should actually be pretty easy.

Apple might want to focus on other things first, of course, but I wouldn't be too surprised to see this eventually.

--
Digital Workflow/Colorist, Nice Dissolve.

You should follow me on Twitter here. Or read our blog.

Return to posts index

Richard Herd
on May 19, 2014 at 11:21:58 pm

[Bret Williams] "collaborative workflows"

I can think of two types of collaborative workflow.

The hard one to do is the Isis working on the same assets simultaneously workflow like reality tv.

The easy one is duplicated assets, checking in, checking out, versioning and so on.

It appears that has become the defining characteristic in this forum for pro: duplicated assets v. same assets.

What other workflows are collaborative?

Return to posts index

tony west
on May 20, 2014 at 2:20:33 pm

[Richard Herd] "I can think of two types of collaborative workflow.

The hard one to do is the Isis working on the same assets simultaneously workflow like reality tv.

The easy one is duplicated assets, checking in, checking out, versioning and so on.

It appears that has become the defining characteristic in this forum for pro: duplicated assets v. same assets.

What other workflows are collaborative?"

You make an interesting point Richard. I would like to see more discussion of this.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 3:07:05 pm

The paid version of Resolve 11 if going to allow multiple users to edit the same timeline at the same time. Not just a sharing media or checkout system. That sounds like fairly new territory.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 20, 2014 at 3:21:05 pm

[Bret Williams] "The paid version of Resolve 11 if going to allow multiple users to edit the same timeline at the same time. "

Actually that's not what was specifically demoed or mentioned. What was shown were three users: an assistant loading clip metadata, an editor working on a timeline edit and a colorist grading clips. Once each had done their portion, the other could choose to update the timeline to reflect the changes. For example, the editor could choose to update the timeline with the color corrections. It is a cool approach if it actually works, however, it's not the same as two different editors working on the same timeline. FWIW - Editshare has demoed Lightworks in that exact scenario.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 3:27:24 pm

Ah, you're right. In the video I saw on the net the guy said 3 people working on the same project. A project is a timeline right? I'm too sucked into FCP X terminology. :) Of course the guy (demo guy on the floor at NAB I think) also got a few things wrong about Resolve 10. Said stuff like Resolve 10 lite is limited to 1080p export.

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 20, 2014 at 3:21:38 pm
Last Edited By Andrew Kimery on May 20, 2014 at 3:22:40 pm

EDIT: Beaten to the punch by Oliver.

[Bret Williams] "The paid version of Resolve 11 if going to allow multiple users to edit the same timeline at the same time. Not just a sharing media or checkout system. That sounds like fairly new territory."

It's one editor with multiple colorists.

http://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/davinciresolve/workflow

"Collaborative Editing and Grading

Now you can have an editor and multiple colorists working on the same timeline simultaneously! DaVinci Resolve 11 lets an editor and multiple colorists on different workstations share the same timeline and work in tandem as they complete shots. A colorist could be pulling a key or tracking windows while another colorist fine tunes grades that are immediately updated as the editor edits. The all new DaVinci Resolve collaborative workflow lets your creative team break down a large job into parts they can each work on separately!"

Return to posts index

tony west
on May 20, 2014 at 3:28:42 pm

[Bret Williams] "The paid version of Resolve 11 if going to allow multiple users to edit the same timeline at the same time."

Is that something that you see yourself doing?

Do you picture yourself working as an editor with another editor working on the same section at the same time as you?

It seems confusing to me. Would the director or producer be talking to both of you at the same time? Just trying to figure out how many people would use that and how it would work so you are not stepping on each other.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 20, 2014 at 3:59:55 pm

Ha, no. If anything I'm one person working on two timelines and an After Effects project rendering in the background.

As others pointed out, it's actually two colorists working on the same timeline while the editor edits. When the editor makes a change, the colorists can accept the change then or later. Ditto with changers the colorists make.

Still pretty new to me!

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 20, 2014 at 4:11:32 pm

[tony west] "Is that something that you see yourself doing?"

If you are making a comparison to how Avid project sharing works, then yes, this is absolutely something you do. Usually it's not different sections of the same timeline, but rather two smaller segments that are part of a longer show, for example, show segment 1 and segment 2. Editors working on TV show productions, like reality TV, do this all the time. And it's not just two editors, but often multiple editors.

[tony west] "It seems confusing to me. Would the director or producer be talking to both of you at the same time?"

I've been in situations where one producer or director is going between multiple rooms. Gives notes to the editor and lets them do their thing while checking on the other editors. Then back to the first one to review the cut.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

tony west
on May 20, 2014 at 4:17:10 pm

[Oliver Peters] " but rather two smaller segments that are part of a longer show, for example, show segment 1 and segment 2. Editors working on TV show productions, like reality TV, do this all the time. And it's not just two editors, but often multiple editors."

Yeah, I know all that.

That's not how it was explained at first.

Then later it got corrected.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]