Compound Clip Save

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andrew Clark
Compound Clip Save
on May 16, 2014 at 7:43:02 pm

Hello all -

This might be quite obvious but, so far, I haven't been able to figure it out:

I created a Compound Clip. Works great and is exactly what I want/need BUT ...

... I can't figure out where it placed it on my HDD. I thought it would be in the same Event location (where the original footage is located) but it's not there.

Is it just something that FCPX is doing virtually without creating another physical clip?

And if it is a virtual clip, is it possible to save a Compound Clip to a HDD?

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
Re: Compound Clip Save
on May 16, 2014 at 8:33:33 pm

[Andrew Clark] "I can't figure out where it placed it on my HDD."

It's not on your drive, it exists in FCP X. You can put it in a timeline, select it as a range, and export a master file to turn it into a "real" file....

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 16, 2014 at 9:36:01 pm

Right. It is not a "render" file that needs to be located. However, it SHOULD show up within the Event, in your Browser window, with the unique Compound Clip icon. THIS is where you can select the CC, and create a copy with new parent, e.g. so that you can make changes to the copy without touching the original. This is useful when you work out an effect or title that you like and want to re-use it in different sequences ... while keeping the original as a "template."

Doug D

Return to posts index

Andrew Clark
on May 17, 2014 at 2:53:59 am

Rats ... that's what I thought.

The CC shows up just fine and I did put it in the Timeline and Exported it out (no settings changed) as a .MOV file. Plays fine.

Well I was hoping I was being an idjit (Yosemite Sam speak for idiot!!) and was missing something; but apparently not.

Thanks all for the replies and info.; much appreciate the wealth of knowledge this CC community shares with the world!!

CC = Compound Clip
CC = Creative Cow
CC = Creative Cloud

... So many CC's!!

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on May 17, 2014 at 5:12:20 am

BTW, in the old FCPX 10.0.9, before the new Library/Projects and Snapshot structure ... I was using Compound Clips to "version" my edits, by making an edit I liked into a CC, then making a "new parent" copy and editing that as the new version. I would eventually export as Master File when done.

However, Oliver and others on this forum warned me off of that practice, noting CC were often unstable when used that way.

I don't know if that is still the case in v10.1.1 -- and I no longer work that way, now that we have the new structure.

Doug D

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]