FORUMS: list search recent posts

Think NLE or Camera maters? Watch this

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Andy Field
Think NLE or Camera maters? Watch this
on May 16, 2014 at 4:07:11 pm

Bentley commercial. Shot on iphone. Edited on iPad

. http://www.cultofmac.com/279385/bentleys-latest-ad-shot-iphone-5s-edited-ip...

Return to posts index

Don Scioli
Re: Think NLE or Camera maters? Watch this
on May 16, 2014 at 4:18:19 pm

Still looks as if it was shot by an amateur camera. There was too much glare, badly back lit, contrasty, muddy dark areas, I could go on. Look at "Schindler's List" for good B & W cinematography.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 4:29:42 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on May 16, 2014 at 4:30:18 pm

Well, it certainly shows that if you want your interviewees to be in focus and you don't want to blow your highlights and you want to avoid any number of really nasty artifacts, and you don't want to have to grade everything B&W to cover up the colour problems, you're certainly better off not trying to shoot on an iPhone.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 16, 2014 at 4:35:12 pm

Think you missed the point here

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 4:42:43 pm

"The use of the iMovie iOS software meant that filmmakers were able to carry out the majority of the editing work from the back seat of their car.
Read more at http://www.cultofmac.com/279385/bentleys-latest-ad-shot-iphone-5s-edited-ip..."

Why? Why would anyone want to compromise like this when shooting and editing a promo for one of the world's finest cars when the results are so patently poor? I don't understand.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2014 at 4:55:48 pm

Did you watch the whole video? Theyr'e also promoting the fact that the Bentley has two built in iPads behind the front seats. It doesn't completely make sense, but there is at least some sort of meager connection. "We have built in iPads, and we think they're so great an asset, that we shot and edited this video on iPhones and iPads."

So I guess if you want a free iPad (that you can't take anywhere) it comes with a 50k? 80k? Bentley. I like the setup, but I think that their clients already had iPads, so just a keyboard and iPad mount would've probably been enough.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 5:00:39 pm

[Bret Williams] "Did you watch the whole video? Theyr'e also promoting the fact that the Bentley has two built in iPads behind the front seats."

Yes, I did notice that there was a vestigial connection that could almost make sense of the decision - i still looks and sounds pretty terrible. Why would you want "pretty terrible" associated in any way with the Bentley brand?

Very peculiar.

I'm also not sure that Bentley owners are the kind of folk who knock up corporate videos in the back of their cars, but I could be wrong.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2014 at 5:09:17 pm

But what part of what we saw was even the ad? The entire thing looked like a behind the scenes. In any case, I do like the car. I'll think I'll get the grey one. Or maybe the black one. Or the white one. Decisions, decisions.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 5:15:42 pm

[Bret Williams] "In any case, I do like the car. I'll think I'll get the grey one. Or maybe the black one. Or the white one."

I'm going to go for all three, I think.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2014 at 5:34:26 pm

On one hand I think the recent excitement over new cameras and NLE announcements at NAB is a sign that NLEs and cameras still matter. On the other hand "28 Days Later" was shot in SD over a decade ago and edited on hardware and software that would be archaic by today's standards. On top of that people have been shooting and editing on mobile devices for a few years now.

Other than click bait (which is great from a promo stand point) I don't see what this Bentley/Apple cross promotional effort brings to the table.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 5:37:34 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "On the other hand "28 Days Later" was shot in SD over a decade ago and edited on hardware and software that would be archaic by today's standards."

Indeed, but then that was a stylistic choice entirely appropriate to the subject matter of the movie. Clearly not the case here.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 16, 2014 at 5:54:34 pm
Last Edited By Jeremy Garchow on May 16, 2014 at 6:33:20 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "Other than click bait (which is great from a promo stand point) I don't see what this Bentley/Apple cross promotional effort brings to the table."

It reminds us that in order to use the technology button in a Bentley, someone else needs to be driving.

Bentleys come with a chauffeur, right? Or is that too much technology for the technology button?

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 18, 2014 at 11:48:55 pm

I find it flat. Monotone voices with B&W that lacks texture, contrast, and light design. I’m left with no desire to touch any of this luxury. It did not have the look and feel of NY. Life would help. They were introducing two key industrial designers, perhaps hoping to bring them front and center like their version of Jonathan Ive. Not sure B&W was an after thought. I think they were going for the understated industrial matt grey design look. But even those backseat Ipads did not look like Ipads. Considering that BMW is already considered the Apple of autos, they have an uphill battle to win this image war. For starters, Bentley’s design has an old school look. The dual IPads are in the back seat. As are both subjects. One subject talks about drawing designs and cars being his toys. So why not show him drawing a car design on the Ipad in the back seat of the car he helped design while the other designer drives the car and maneuvers/accelerates out of danger while his colleague doesn’t miss a beat with his drawing because the ride is so smooth.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2014 at 7:40:58 pm

[Andy Field] "Think you missed the point here"

I think you actually missed the point. This was not shot "on an iPhone"...it was shot on an iPhone...with a $5000 Movi M5, and probably another $2000-$3000 carbon fiber mount with an assortment of external lenses.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2014 at 7:44:58 pm

I get the strong feeling it wasn't intended to be B&W from the get go, either. That feels like an auto white balance issue wreaking havoc.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 7:46:20 pm

[Gary Huff] "I get the strong feeling it wasn't intended to be B&W from the get go, either. That feels like an auto white balance issue wreaking havoc."

That's quite obviously the case, yes.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 17, 2014 at 3:53:33 am

Right. So these guys have all that iPhone gear and they don't know how to click and hold on the screen for the AE/AF lock? Which does lock WB as well as part of the AE lock.

Return to posts index

Joseph Owens
on May 16, 2014 at 8:34:09 pm
Last Edited By Joseph Owens on May 16, 2014 at 8:43:52 pm

I thought the point was to achieve a specific look.

And it apparently takes a lot of rigging.
Now somebody like Bill Maher might observe that it takes a lot of resources to provide the 0.1% with a fast, cushy laptop holder so they can make more pie charts. While the Antarctic ice sheet slides off its ice cream cone.

Everybody thinks they just invented sex.

This tedious argument even predates the flap around "Blair Witch", whereupon it was proclaimed that Hollywood movies would be shot on HandyCams thence.

How is that going?

jPo

"I always pass on free advice -- its never of any use to me" Oscar Wilde.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 19, 2014 at 2:10:41 pm

I don't think he did miss the point.

How about this point... to get good iPhone video, put $500 iPhones on a $15K motion rigs. Then hire a really expensive crew to get the video we're all claiming is so amazing.

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Shawn Miller
on May 16, 2014 at 5:55:33 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Well, it certainly shows that if you want your interviewees to be in focus and you don't want to blow your highlights and you want to avoid any number of really nasty artifacts, and you don't want to have to grade everything B&W to cover up the colour problems, you're certainly better off not trying to shoot on an iPhone."

Agreed, even black and white couldn't hide issues like ugly highlights on the faces of the subjects or limited latitude. Did you notice the strobing on the headlights? Terrible... I couldn't take my eyes off of it. Sure, you can shoot commercials on a smartphone (with a $10k+ gimbal)... but why, when you can shoot 12bit raw video for less than $100.00 a day... I just don't get the point. :-/

Shawn

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 16, 2014 at 6:17:52 pm

[Shawn Miller] "I just don't get the point. :-/"

I do.

The point is that what matters to us - doesn't matter to them.

Many here are playing the "I've learned pro standards and I believe them to be important - so I'll proselytize for them" game. Which is fine, but irrelevant.

Bentley (and Apple, really) are essentially playing the "We're here to sell our products" game.

Apple is also playing the "we're the guys who make the super cool tools that transform industries" game.

The central questions for Bentley are: Will this video help sell Bentleys?

From which there springs a useful sub question which is "can we take this largely staid brand and make it seem a bit "hipper" without damaging our brand credibility."

So consider this: How many Bentley sales will the presence of some blown highlights in the video prevent? The answer is zero. The secondary question is how many people UNDER 60 will, after watching this - think of the Bentley as a potential vehicle choice. If the answer is significantly ABOVE zero - then someone got the marketing right.

Deep video quality is NOT a metric in either of these scoring systems. At least not compared to overall campaign effectiveness.

(I'm probably overly sensitive to the whole "scoring" issue since I just returned 20 minutes ago from earning another Apple Certification - and I'm VERY mindful that the only score that matters in that testing system is what the testing system SAYS matters - not so much that I might have wanted them to think matters. ; )

And so it goes.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 6:58:19 pm

[Bill Davis] "So consider this: How many Bentley sales will the presence of some blown highlights in the video prevent? The answer is zero. The secondary question is how many people UNDER 60 will, after watching this - think of the Bentley as a potential vehicle choice. If the answer is significantly ABOVE zero - then someone got the marketing right.

Deep video quality is NOT a metric in either of these scoring systems. At least not compared to overall campaign effectiveness."

Leaving aside that the starting price of a Bentley is well north of 100,000 of our English pounds, and hence unlikely to be appealing directly to the skater crowd, does a "hip" young person right now in the middle of 2014 still believe that it's "hip" to shoot anything on an iPhone?

Surely that's very much last year's news and hence about as unhip as you can get?

I think this is a serious error of judgement marketing-wise, at least as far as Bentley are concerned. But who knows?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 19, 2014 at 2:19:27 pm

[Bill Davis] "(I'm probably overly sensitive to the whole "scoring" issue since I just returned 20 minutes ago from earning another Apple Certification - and I'm VERY mindful that the only score that matters in that testing system is what the testing system SAYS matters - not so much that I might have wanted them to think matters. ; )"

It doesn't Bill. Not since Apple granted FCP Trainer status to a guy who set up networks for a living and had a total of 1 video edited in iMovie as his total video experience level. After that, Apple Certification no longer mattered, which is why I and so many others let ours go. Once you cheapen something, it's hard to get it back... a lesson Apple could stand to learn, since "brand image" is so important to them and since they think of themselves as a premium product. As for Bentley, young iPhone users aren't their demographic... but they could be someday after they develop the "Angry Video Editors" app or whatever hits big next... :-)

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 6:12:20 pm

[Andy Field] "Think NLE or Camera matters?"

Andy,

There's always an argument that the specific tools don't matter - that there's some other ephemeral quality that transcends tools. (Some of these arguments are more convincing than others.)

This commercial is no such argument.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 16, 2014 at 7:41:45 pm

I watched it twice and other than the strobing fog lights I think the whole piece is great - great framing, editing, pacing, music and message. The black & white grade had a 60's French new wave feel that I love.

I personally like the blown out highlights and technically they don't matter (2 t's) because the face is exposed properly. Sure it could look flawless if shot on something like an Alexa but no one out site of these forums will ever care.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 7:44:45 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on May 16, 2014 at 7:45:47 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "Sure it could look flawless if shot on something like an Alexa but no one out site of these forums will ever care."

So that's it. From now on all those fancy car commercials can be shot on an iPhone.

How cool is that!?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2014 at 7:45:41 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "So that's it. From now on all those fancy car commercials can be shot an on iPhone."

Though, granted, 7D footage wasn't terrible better and we lived through that.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 7:47:36 pm

[Gary Huff] "Though, granted, 7D footage wasn't terrible better and we lived through that."

I've directed a few car commercials and the budgets of those would have paid for the odd Bentley.

Are we saying those days are over?

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 16, 2014 at 7:55:34 pm

Lot's of anger for what? Of course not all car commercials will be shot like this, but this one was and if you've really directed high-end car commercials you'd not be reacting this way. No go warm up some Sake and chill.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 16, 2014 at 8:02:15 pm

British humor is one of my absolute favorite things in the world - sensed none of it from your posts. Just weird over-reaction to a really nice spot, regardless of what it was shot on...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 16, 2014 at 11:53:31 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "British humor is one of my absolute favorite things in the world - sensed none of it from your posts."

That's because you need to read his posts in the voice of David Mitchell.

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 24, 2014 at 6:13:39 pm

What was nice about it? There is not a single frame of this video or even a hint in the voice over that anything magical or even cutting edge is happening in a Bentley. I could shoot something beautiful with an iPhone and capture what is beautiful about it without my still or video being of high quality. But show me a shot in this video where you go, "Wow, I want one of those!" The two subjects talk like robots. There are so many beautiful high end cars in today's market. Really futuristic looking control panels. The one thing they showcased here was built in iPads in the back seat. Are they docks? Do they sync with the iPad and Mac Pro at the office? Can I bring up the same images in the passenger seat? How about on the GPS media screen for the diver? What's with the thick white border around the pad? Looks like a toy computer I'd give a 5 year old. Of course that's usually who would use a backseat consumer device.

Mac Pro, macbook pro, Imacs (i7); Canon 5D Mark III/70D, Panasonic AG-HPX170/AG-HPX250P, Canon HV40, Sony Z7U/VX2000/PD170; FCP 6 certified; FCP X write professionally for a variety of media; teach video production in L.A.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 16, 2014 at 8:04:02 pm

The point i was making was with all the arguments about cameras and NLE's...you can makeu a film, commercial, industrial on virtually anything if you are a good story teller..

.like the story or not, they told the what they wanted to tell with rudimentary tools....the viewer doesn't care if it's FCPX or Premiere or AVID or Red or an ARRI or iphone...story telling, composition lighting and pacing is really all that matters....and you can accomplish that today with an astonishing array of tools.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 8:08:10 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on May 16, 2014 at 8:20:03 pm

[Andy Field] "The point i was making was with all the arguments about cameras and NLE's...you can make an film, commercial, industrial on virtually anything if you are a good story teller..

.like the story or not, they told the what they wanted to tell with rudimentary tools....the viewer doesn't care if it's FCPX or Premiere or AVID or Red or an ARRI or iphone...story telling, composition lighting and pacing is really all that matters....and you can accomplish that today with an astonishing array of tools."

And in this case, the "story-telling" (please can we outlaw this expression in cases like this?) was as poor as the technical execution.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 16, 2014 at 8:29:27 pm

again...for everyone who can't miss a chance to criticize or argue.....the point is...the endless arguing of FCPX vs everything else is pointless....find a tool you like and use it.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 8:32:53 pm

[Andy Field] "again...for everyone who can't miss a chance to criticize or argue.....the point is...the endless arguing of FCPX vs everything else is pointless....find a tool you like and use it."

Couldn't agree more.

The only thing I would add is "use it well".

Which is clearly not the case in the example under question.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2014 at 8:33:01 pm

[Andy Field] "and you can accomplish that today with an astonishing array of tools."

You can, though that ship has been sailing for a long time now and eventually video production tools will be as common as pencil and paper. With that being said, the tools still matter.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 8:43:49 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "You can, though that ship has been sailing for a long time now and eventually video production tools will be as common as pencil and paper. With that being said, the tools still matter."

It really is a somewhat bizarre discussion.

Are we saying that really, in the light of this Bentley promo, Arri and co. should be giving up trying to sell us decent-looking cameras because all that really matters is how well you can "tell a story" and the audience just doesn't know the difference?

It could well be true but I think I'd need a bit more convincing than I've seen so far.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 16, 2014 at 9:01:06 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on May 16, 2014 at 9:01:53 pm

of course tools matter....but this forum has become polarized to the point where if you don't agree with the author you are branded an idiot or worse......

FCP X is wonderful for the folks who like it - so is Premiere AVID Vegas or imovie....

what gets missed in this endless debate is basic story telling skills that often don't require razzle dazzel effects ..round tripping to compositors, etc...

I can tell a story on my iphone alone with a built in editor....you can do it with a lot more polish with an ARRI and high end NLE...but good story tellers can do it with both.

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2014 at 9:46:51 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "Are we saying that really, in the light of this Bentley promo, Arri and co. should be giving up trying to sell us decent-looking cameras because all that really matters is how well you can "tell a story" and the audience just doesn't know the difference?"

I don't think that's what's being said. I think it's just the latest example of cell phone video being 'good enough' and, more importantly, it's a cross promotional ad for Apple and Bentley. Apple gets to show off the quality and 'professionalism' of it's iDevices and Bentley gets to bask in Apple's halo. Why is that meaningful to Bentley? I'd say because a whole lot of 20/30-something millionaires are getting minted in Silicon Valley these days and I'm sure Bentley wants a piece of that action (as opposed to being seen as just an 'old fogey' status symbol).

[Andy Field] "what gets missed in this endless debate is basic story telling skills that often don't require razzle dazzel effects ..round tripping to compositors, etc..."

I guess I see this forum as being populated by working pros that already know the importance of story so we are free to debate the finer points of the tools of the trade. I mean, we've had endless debates about in/out points and you just don't get into that granular of a discussion without a lot of time spent in the editing chair.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 10:01:48 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "I think it's just the latest example of cell phone video being 'good enough' and, more importantly, it's a cross promotional ad for Apple and Bentley. Apple gets to show off the quality and 'professionalism' of it's iDevices and Bentley gets to bask in Apple's halo. Why is that meaningful to Bentley? I'd say because a whole lot of 20/30-something millionaires are getting minted in Silicon Valley these days and I'm sure Bentley wants a piece of that action (as opposed to being seen as just an 'old fogey' status symbol)."

Yes, on balance, I think you're right and that's a fair assessment of what they were collectively trying to achieve.

It doesn't change the fact that creatively this is poor piece of execution, and from a marketing point of view I suspect Bentley were sold a pig in a poke.

I'd also question whether the audience out there is sufficiently video-illiterate to think that this kind of image quality is ":good enough". After all, manufacturers are hoping to be able to sell them 4K devices hand over fist. How's that going to work if they can't actually make a judgement call at this level? The "hip youngsters" I know are extremely critical of poor image quality and know a lot about what to look for ...

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Nikolas Bäurle
on May 16, 2014 at 10:11:54 pm

I think it really is directed at consumers not film pro's. its showing the audience that with a small budget you can achieve close to professional level quality. In this case if you could own a Bentley you should be able to afford one of those rigs:-)

And for the internet this clip is pretty good. And its good enough for TV as well, even with its flaws. Most consumers are not really going to notice a difference.

I actually like the style it has, especially knowing its from an iphone.

"Always look on the bright side of life" - Monty Python

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 16, 2014 at 9:36:56 pm

I won't speak to the shooting (I could but I won't) but there is nothing other than very simplistic picture and sound editorial going on here. RM 440 work.

Tim

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 16, 2014 at 10:21:55 pm

watch any network news cast...and see how "good enough" has devolved...skype interviews..shaky-cam cell phone footage..all now acceptable on programs that used to thumb their nose at anything that wasn't "Broadcast Quality"

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2014 at 10:44:19 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "It doesn't change the fact that creatively this is poor piece of execution, and from a marketing point of view I suspect Bentley were sold a pig in a poke."

From a marketing point of view I think it's done a good job. How many people would be talking about a new Bentley commercial shot on Alexa and edited on Avid? I think Bentley wanted to be noticed by the tech community and they certainly have by partnering with Apple in this way.

[Andy Field] "watch any network news cast...and see how "good enough" has devolved...skype interviews..shaky-cam cell phone footage..all now acceptable on programs that used to thumb their nose at anything that wasn't "Broadcast Quality""

Newscasts have always taken a variety of quality of footage of actual events (grainy security camera footage of robberies, homes videos of tornadoes, the Zapruder film, etc.,) but for things they can control (like in studio) they aren't going to be switching over to webcams or iPhones any time soon. With that being said, due to drastic budget cuts many news stations (especially in smaller markets) are sending out reporters by themselves with inexpensive cameras and tripods instead of dedicated camera people because a poor presence is better than no presence at all.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 16, 2014 at 11:12:24 pm

[Andrew Kimery] "From a marketing point of view I think it's done a good job. How many people would be talking about a new Bentley commercial shot on Alexa and edited on Avid? I think Bentley wanted to be noticed by the tech community and they certainly have by partnering with Apple in this way."

I wonder whether the Bentley-buying community is as exercised about this piece as the two or three of us wittering on about it here. Somehow I doubt it.

As a piece of communication it's a bit of a damp squib.

Lance mentioned that it put him in mind of the French New Wave and I think he's right on the money with that.

For me it inevitably recalled the films of Alain Resnais: an eternity seemed to pass and nothing of the slightest interest or consequence seemed to be being conveyed.

Or maybe it's actually some Dadaist spoof and I've missed the point entirely.

According to the only online article I could spot about this venture: "These sorts of partnerships aimed at showing off the quality of Apple design and camera performance have been done before. Burberry also used the iPhone 5S to shoot a fashion show shortly after the new iPhone was introduced last year."

So it doesn't even have the virtue of novelty.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2014 at 11:21:11 pm

[Simon Ubsdell] "So it doesn't even have the virtue of novelty."

I was thinking the same thing which is what inspired my comment about "28 Days Later" being shot in SD. Budget friendly good enough has been with us a while now. Not to mention the 1.24.14 / 30th anniversary commercial that tread these exact same waters earlier this year.

http://www.apple.com/30-years/1-24-14-film/

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 17, 2014 at 12:29:09 am

There are plenty of things to pick this video apart technically, but it probably looks great on an iPhone ;-)

Regarding the editing, the on-screen text says "assembled" not "edited". That is, stringing together selects on location. Given that this was probably done by a high-profile agency, the final editing was probably done on something hilarious, like a Flame.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 12:51:53 am

[Oliver Peters] "Given that this was probably done by a high-profile agency, the final editing was probably done on something hilarious, like a Flame."

No more hilarious than shooting on an "iPhone" with thousands of dollars worth of accessories used to make it work.

Including lenses.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 12:13:01 am

[Andrew Kimery] "With that being said, due to drastic budget cuts many news stations (especially in smaller markets) are sending out reporters by themselves with inexpensive cameras and tripods instead of dedicated camera people because a poor presence is better than no presence at all."

And hardly anyone is watching.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on May 17, 2014 at 3:43:55 am

Simon,

Who crapped in your coffee this morning?

I haven't seen this kind of vitriol over a perfectly innocuous spot in quite some time.
Your vehement insistence that this spot is rubbish is quite over the top. The spot is what it is.

Your reaction to it is puzzling. So, to balance out your vomitus spew of negativity, here's my opinion:

I thought it was well shot, edited and effective. I LOVED the fact that they "assembled" the cut in the back of the car. That was a brilliant tie-in to an outstanding "feature" that only the Bentley can offer (His & Hers fold down iPads!)

The message was on point. The execution was first rate. The "assembled in the car" twist was a nice message to this community that we really have entered a new world order where expensive, exclusive tools are no longer needed to make quality images for clever marketing campaigns. Haters can hate, but I appreciate the leap forward in technology and production craft that this spot represents.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 17, 2014 at 10:12:37 am

Thank you Mark...exactly the reason I posted this.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 17, 2014 at 11:14:28 am

[Mark Raudonis] "I haven't seen this kind of vitriol over a perfectly innocuous spot in quite some time.
Your vehement insistence that this spot is rubbish is quite over the top. The spot is what it is.

Your reaction to it is puzzling. So, to balance out your vomitus spew of negativity, here's my opinion:"

Ouch! Isn't that a bit harsh? I think this piece raises some very interesting questions about a number of things, to do with marketing, with technical quality, with story-telling, with positioning and so on, and if I've overstated the case it's just in the hope of drawing discussion rather than antagonising anyone, though I've obviously succeeded in the latter a lot better than the former, so apologies for that.

A couple of cheap quips about the Nouvelle Vague aside, I don't think I've been unfair to it, to be honest.

I think we can all agree that technically this would be unlikely to get passed for broadcast without a special dispensation - the strobing headlights issue alone would certainly get it knocked back. The compression artifacts through the fade up on that opening shot as the guy walks to the car are pretty embarrassing. (The lens flare at 1:50 looks nasty too from this point of view.) If you're making stuff for the web you need to be on top of things like this. The B&W treatment is also poorly executed - almost certainly a decision make in post rather than planning. I don't understand some of the focus decisions if that's what they are - to me they look a lot more like errors than stylistic choices of any kind.

As a piece of editing I certainly don't "hate" it and I certainly don't think and didn't say that it's rubbish, but then neither can I find anything to "LOVE", I'm afraid. Content-wise it seems to me to be a very average corporate video with nothing remotely special to recommend it - quite what either Bentley or Apple think they are doing putting out something this humdrum, I can't begin to understand. You'd have thought "premium" production values were at the heart of both brands, not to mention top quality creative ... Those guys in the cars are bending our ears about design quality but an opposite aesthetic is being thrust at us in the visuals and the execution.

I would contend that in terms of "story-telling" it's fairly weak - in particular the reveal of the hero feature seems to be very flat and lifeless. But I think what's weakest is that there's really no creative concept to speak of - or rather such a creative concept as there is ("we're going to make this an iShoot") is extraneous to the piece itself and is just not that interesting or even remotely original in May 2014.

(The truly bizarre thing for me is how lame a feature they have decided to highlight, but that's another matter. In-car entertainment in a Bentley? Haven't normal cars had that for decades by now? OK, so that's exaggeration for rhetorical effect but surely an iPad glued on to a slide-out tea-tray has to rank as pretty unimpressive at this point?)

I think I find the assumptions behind the enterprise as a whole somewhat lazy. The big issue for me is really not just that the Emperor has no clothes but that the clothes he isn't wearing went out of fashion about a year ago - and in today's marketplace that's surely a bit lame. I think at this point even tribes in the deepest Amazon rainforest are aware that you can shoot OK pictures with an iPhone and edit them on an iPad.

Also what is the take-away as far as the iPhone picture quality is concerned? I think the message is very confused.

Are we meant to be amazed at how good it looks? In which case it's got to be judged a failure because it really doesn't look amazing, surely even to the untrained eye.

Or are we meant to be seeing it as a new kind of DV-type grunge aesthetic? Probably not because that would be an odd kind of claim to be making.

Or are we just meant to be pleasantly surprised that it's "good enough" and ask nothing else? Clearly it's good enough for news gathering and the occasional insert where quality isn't paramount. But the thing I find hard to understand is why you'd want to associate "good enough" with either of these brands. Since when did Apple start to espouse "good enough" as a marketing angle? Actually, don't answer that because I'm rather inclined to think it has now crept into their lexicon and is here to stay. Which if it's true is not just odd, but a downright shame.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on May 17, 2014 at 12:30:59 pm

It was a simple statement. You can tell a story with simple tools This point seems to elude you.

Return to posts index

Mark Raudonis
on May 17, 2014 at 3:22:20 pm

I applaud the creator, NOT the critic.

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 17, 2014 at 4:27:20 pm
Last Edited By Simon Ubsdell on May 17, 2014 at 5:02:31 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "I applaud the creator, NOT the critic."

I really don't know what I've done to upset you so much and I do apologise again for any offence caused.

The OP was clearly inviting a discussion of the merits or otherwise of the piece rather than inviting us all to join in a univocal litany of praise: "Think NLE or Camera maters? Watch this."

Equally, the entire thrust of the Bentley/Apple campaign here is to do with "design excellence" or something of the kind - if you're going to be making claims of that kind you need to make sure that your communication lives up to the message both in form and content.

And I don't think it does. I don't think it's irredeemably dreadful and the most appropriate description is probably your own: "innocuous".

My point was that "innocuous" doesn't really seem adequate to the scale of the collective ambition on show here. As a piece of communication, it fails by its own standards - at least that's my opinion, though yours is clearly different.

I'm not clear why that seems so unreasonable to you.

I might love Grace of Monaco and you might agree with some of the critics who have been less than kind to it - it's surely permissible to critique creative work when it's offered for public consumption.

Clearly if it were some kid in his bedroom who'd knocked this together, I would feel obliged to temper any overly harsh criticism.

And if someone wants to pour scorn on my work in the public domain I have absolutely no problem with that.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 17, 2014 at 8:11:07 pm

I just looked - you're right - there is quite a lot of room to reasonably criticise this. Like a surprising amount of room.

the footage looks pretty ropey, and some of the b-roll shots in the cab where they're working the ipad look almost scarily pedestrian.
And the black and white looks awfully muddy? It generally looks pretty battered in the fine details. The blowout on the buildings and exteriors is pretty crazy too.

mark has used that phrase with me before - to applaud the creator not the critic. but its seems a little limited to me - what if the creator is worthy of criticism?

Also - is anyone actually asking Mark to applaud the critic, or simply to recognise that criticism is valid? Or does he always want to applaud the creator? I get that Americans are unyieldingly positive and optimistic, but I've generally personally found criticism directed towards me handy/verging on utterly indispensable to any small advances I've ever made. Denigrating the notion of public criticism, where you have a reasonable professional basis to voice it seems ludicrous to me.

Also - and stating the obvious - this spot suffers horribly from comparison to Apple's mega iphone 5S shoot to commemorate the superbowl spot. It's obvious these guys were inspired by it, but well, in the proof of the pudding, they're no Apple my friend.

Had apple's spot ended up looking anything like that Bentley one, you'd think Apple would have activated the NDA's, incinerated all the edit machines and burnt the phones in a smelting spot. we never would have seen it.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Simon Ubsdell
on May 17, 2014 at 9:44:19 pm

[Aindreas Gallagher] "I've generally personally found criticism directed towards me handy/verging on utterly indispensable to any small advances I've ever made."

I'd absolutely agree on that.

Criticism, however painful if might be receive at times, is the one healthy thing that keeps you moving forward and trying to get better in this business and, I imagine (though I'm not an expert), in other areas of life too. Even misguided criticism can be a really useful catalyst for sharpening up your act.

As your mate Beckett put it, it's all about failing better.

But, apparently, criticism of a piece of advertising from a large corporation is now embargoed. Not sure why, but there you go.

Simon Ubsdell
tokyo-uk.com

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 10:40:54 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "I applaud the creator"

Any creator? Even if it's crap?

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 10:42:17 pm

[Mark Raudonis] "I thought it was well shot, edited and effective."

Really? Because it played itself out after the first 20 seconds and got really boring really quick.

Return to posts index

Tom Sefton
on May 17, 2014 at 11:05:40 pm

I have no experience of any shoots of the magnitude of a car ad and probably no right to criticise. That said, I got bored real quick. I can't understand the concept of linking a car that costs over £130,000 to the convenience of having an iPad in the back seat, and that it's worth making a bad looking advert to highlight the possibility of duplicating it in that same back seat. It's like an idea that a contestant in the apprentice came up with. I can almost hear Alan Sugar whining about it.

Return to posts index

tony west
on May 18, 2014 at 12:16:58 am

I'm kind of all over the board with my feelings on it.

First and for most I really like that music they picked : )

Music is so key for me and I really liked that track.

The odd thing is, I kind of liked that behind the scenes cut at the end better than the spot hehehe

I don't know what happened here, but if the client told them, "hey I want you to shoot this with an iPhone and do the best you can with it to make it look professional", I would say they got the most they could get out of that phone.

I don't really see anybody going through that much trouble to shoot with a phone unless the client
said "do this" But I don't really know what happened.

I know I wouldn't want to shoot with a phone but I would if somebody paid me to.

If I'm trying to showcase my car I think I would want to show it in color. There is beauty in color.
I bet those cars would look even better.

There have been some good points on both sides made.

I don't know what else to say : )

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 18, 2014 at 1:07:40 pm

For my money, Apple's "1.24.14" spot is a better example of this. It's better produced & edited overall and the message in relation to the shooting methodology is much more clear.

Return to posts index

Tobias Heilmann-Schuricht
on May 20, 2014 at 5:37:07 am

Thank you for sharing!

It helps me to remind myself of what is possible these days and that never seizes to amaze me.

What's wrong with with a high paid crew shooting a spot for an even higher end car, mounting a smartphone on an expensive gimbal? What's wrong with it not looking like an A-class B/W movie?

It's just playing around, experimenting, forward motion, for what ever reason, budgetary, creative, it doesn't matter.

In Touch Media GmbH
Germany

Return to posts index

Craig Alan
on May 24, 2014 at 11:16:19 am

In theory nothing is wrong with it. But it rubs me the wrong way. "Driving" in the back seat of a Bentley is ruling class not avant-garde winging it with inexpensive creative tools. The iPhone is not the Bentley of video cameras or even still cameras. It's a multitool that takes decent pictures or short clips if you need it to and for many of us is always within reach. It’s an ok vacation cam. Taking a pad and turning it into a pull down laptop for back seat executives is ok but we don't actually see them doing any work with them. We see them typing but can't tell what. We do not see them drawing or designing. And if they are permanently housed in the backseat did their industrial designs sync using the cloud? Were they worried about industrial theft? Once you add a permanent installation in landscape mode and keyboard why not a laptop? I can’t tell if you can dock an ipad on this tray or its truly fixed which would be less appealing. I would have liked this a whole lot more if we see them use the pull down pad out of need or as part of business as usual and not all the hype saying that this proves how great Bentley design is. Seriously what does shooting the commercial with an iPhone have to do with using a portable device in the back seat? It's misguided pretentious crap. It's not that you can't tell a story with an iPhone but no one would hire a full professional production team and use an iPhone as a camcorder except to prove a point.

However it does have some marketing genius. Apple means exposure. There’s a ton of hits on google about his commercial and we are only talking about it because of the Apple connection. You could have shot that commercial better using a 300 dollar vixia camcorder, a $50 buck hand held mike for voice over and edited it using a PC laptop with Sony Vegas and no one would give a damn.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]