FORUMS: list search recent posts

Adobe CC goes down for 24 hours

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Mitch Ives
Adobe CC goes down for 24 hours
on May 15, 2014 at 7:13:06 pm

This is something so many people have predicted.

As I understand it, if you had it already installed and weren't due to renew this month on that day, you were okay. I hope no one missed a deadline or lost a client over this:

http://appleinsider.com/articles/14/05/15/adobe-id-failure-takes-creative-c...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Adobe CC goes down for 24 hours
on May 15, 2014 at 7:21:28 pm

Microsoft Office365 wasn't working either, and to add insult to injury, Netflix was also down.

Of course, I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue, I mean, I picked the wrong day to try and install some Tubes with subscription plans.

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 15, 2014 at 7:22:39 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "Of course, I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue, I mean, I picked the wrong day to try and install some Tubes with subscription plans."

Surely you can't be serious?

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 15, 2014 at 7:24:47 pm

I know it's shocking, but I am serious, and don't call me Shirley.

Return to posts index

Dave Gage
on May 15, 2014 at 7:36:44 pm

[Jeremy Garchow] "...but I am serious, and don't call me Shirley."

Roger, Roger.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 15, 2014 at 11:36:34 pm

There's a sale a Penneys!

Return to posts index

Kevin Monahan
on May 15, 2014 at 8:49:34 pm

Hi Mitch,

[Mitch Ives] "As I understand it, if you had it already installed and weren't due to renew this month on that day, you were okay. "

Users should still be able to work with their applications. If you cannot open an application because you weren't signed in or the like, you can still open the application in trial mode. Here's how:

http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-cloud/kb/creative-cloud-service-outage.html...

If anyone is having trouble working with CC apps, please let me know.

Thanks,
Kevin

Kevin Monahan
Support Product Manager—DVA
Adobe After Effects
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe
Follow Me on Twitter!

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 15, 2014 at 11:21:04 pm

[Kevin Monahan] "if you cannot open an application because you weren't signed in or the like, you can still open the application in trial mode. Here's how:
"

so when the forced subscription falls apart due to absolutely no backend and the three guys left with sticky tape running PR, server maintenance, photocopier repair and customer response for the untold adobe customer millions - so when these guys tell us to now boot emergency trial versions of your software until an unpaid adobe gerbil staggers in the back door with a patch fix on a hard drive -

so that's what's happening now? that's adobe these days?

say it ain't so joe.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Herb Sevush
on May 15, 2014 at 9:38:24 pm

As much as i don't like the subscription plan this is really not a big deal for most users. Cloud software is run locally, there is no need to be in touch with the cloud on a daily basis. It's like the App store being down for a day.

Herb Sevush
Zebra Productions
---------------------------
nothin' attached to nothin'
"Deciding the spine is the process of editing" F. Bieberkopf

Return to posts index

Aindreas Gallagher
on May 15, 2014 at 11:11:14 pm

reading it, I'm not sure it's that simple - there are frozen client typekit font issues, for whatever that's worth, and certain people are actually getting currently locked out of software.

on some level, for a certain percentage, live in use adobe software is getting killed in their shop.

If it wasn't, kevin monaghan wouldn't be directing emergency trial installs to those customers - as he has in the last hour here - as a solution.

I'm not sure this is throwaway. some of the stuff on their facebook is very bald, and it's from their customers. posts are extremely specific.

People are being locked out in the working day, and the online stuff from the adobe backend is mental. do feel free to look up the adobe responses.

http://vimeo.com/user1590967/videos http://www.ogallchoir.net promo producer/editor.grading/motion graphics

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 2:47:24 am

[Herb Sevush] "... this is really not a big deal for most users."

Herb,

I think it was a bit more serious. arstechnica reported it as this:

"Those who haven't signed off since the outage began may find their service remains unimpaired. Anyone who is currently signed in should not sign out or update. Those who are currently signed out and cannot successfully log in should try signing in using the trial mode of their software. Those who receive a message that their trial mode has expired may be able to use their Creative Cloud apps in bonus launch state.

"If you receive a message to Renew your subscription ... then your bonus launch has expired," Thursday's advisory stated. "If your bonus launch has expired then you will be unable to utilize the Creative Cloud applications on your current computer until the outage is complete. Updates will be shared on Twitter at @AdobeCare.""

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2014/05/outage-of-adobe-creat...

Franz.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 16, 2014 at 12:56:31 pm

FWIW, this isn't limited to CC. Using a legitimately owned copy of CS, I once had it mysteriously announce that my trial had expired. What trial... I bought it... I'm holding the discs in my hand with a serial number. Any attempt at reinstalling informed that I had already used all my installs. You know, maybe someday an installer could be smart enough to see that it's the same machine, same hard drive ID, etc? Is that asking too much?

Under deadline, I had to pay another facility to use their suite, since Adobe couldn't do anything when I called them.

Afterwards, Adobe… I mean India, came up with a bailing wire and duct tape solution that involved a secret key command that popped up a hidden window, to which they had me type in an answer to a challenge question. This tricks the CS suite into letting it launch. This wasn't a permanent fix. More akin to placing a band-aid over cancer. It appears to look like a fix, but the underlying problem still exists.

Eventually I upgraded the CS suite to the last "real" version and got a new serial number and escaped this hell. Now, with CC, you can't even do that...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 1:20:17 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "Herb, I think it was a bit more serious. arstechnica reported it as this..."

Franz, the headline for this story could have been "Adobe authentication outage lasts 24 hours; nearly 2 million subscribers don't even notice because their apps keep working as designed."

However, that headline is:
1) too long
2) not incendiary enough to inspire page clicks, and
3) inconsistent with the subscription-is-bad narrative.

I don't mean to blindly defend Adobe, but I think we are losing real-world context for how the outage affected (or didn't affect) CC customers.

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

TImothy Auld
on May 16, 2014 at 1:30:12 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I think we are losing real-world context for how the outage affected (or didn't affect) CC customers."

Then it's all good...unless of course you're not among those lucky enough not to be affected.

Tim

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 1:50:52 pm

[TImothy Auld] "Then it's all good...unless of course you're not among those lucky enough not to be affected."

Not saying it's all good -- just saying that "those affected" are a small group, but smaller than you'd think from reading these discussions.

Really, I'm not trying to defend Adobe here. This is exactly the kind of outage that cannot happen if you want people to trust your subscription offering. It shouldn't have happened in the first place, and there should have been a backup plan in place (other than "run as a trial").

But I think we should keep the discussion factual. CC does not require constant authentication or connectivity to function. CC has a grace period (99 days for annual subscribers, 30 for monthly) that allows the apps to keep running if they cannot connect or authenticate. In this regard, the system widely worked as designed, keeping nearly two million creatives truckin' -- despite the outage.

The Great Dropbox Outage of 2014 (three hours in January) was a bigger problem for my business than this was. I'm a CC customer, and I wouldn't have even known this outage occurred if the non-CC customers all over Twitter and the COW hadn't brought it up. From what I can tell, you were really only affected by this outage if you tried to sign out and back in.

As a very similar scenario could have unfolded with CS6 if the activation servers had gone down, we need to be careful about framing this as a subscription-only issue.

All that said, even though as a CC customer, I was able to work all day yesterday without interruption -- I hope that Adobe learns from this and gets a better backup plan in place.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 16, 2014 at 2:46:00 pm

It was an rip out and install day for me where I couldn't access a current account, couldn't create a new account, and I was ready to buy more accounts.

Things happen. I couldn't download Office, and I couldn't watch Netflix while waiting for the Internet to unscrew itself.

Although, today is a much better day.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 2:15:55 pm

[Walter Soyka] "... I think we are losing real-world context for how the outage affected (or didn't affect) CC customers."

Walter,

I posted the link for that very reason (because I wasn't affected and I did not know who was).

From the link (headline aside) it was clearer to me who actually was affected (potentially anyone not currently signed in, whose trial launches failed, and who couldn't access "bonus" launches).

I don't find the headline all that sensational, but I wouldn't object to a more precise one.

If you have better info on who was affected, please post.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 2:29:53 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "From the link (headline aside) it was clearer to me who actually was affected (potentially anyone not currently signed in, whose trial launches failed, and who couldn't access "bonus" launches)."

My point was that it is not a normal state to be "not signed in." That's like being de-activated on CS6, so while the article is informative, I don't think it paints a very good picture of who was actually affected.

I don't have numbers, but would be glad to see them.

I can only say that anecdotally, the people I see protesting the outage are not CC subscribers.

Again, not a defense. That outage shouldn't have happened. Just context for understanding the ramifications of the outage.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 2:39:55 pm

[Walter Soyka] "My point was that it is not a normal state to be "not signed in. ...I don't think it paints a very good picture of who was actually affected.""

Walter,

That's really an odd judgement. There are many reason why you would have to reboot any given system.

If you read the comments on the ars article, two things are clear:
- there are very few comments from people who were actually affected
- those affected were affected catastrophically - it shut them down.

I'm surprised that you would judge those affected somehow negatively (your post has a "blame the victim" ring to it), rather than looking to the cause.

Again, I'd be interested in a clearer picture of who was actually affected by this - if you have better info, please post.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 3:27:39 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "That's really an odd judgement. There are many reason why you would have to reboot any given system."

Rebooting does not sign you out of CC.

This is the sort of factual misunderstanding around CC I'm looking to clarify.

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I'm surprised that you would judge those affected somehow negatively (your post has a "blame the victim" ring to it), rather than looking to the cause."

I certainly don't intend to blame the victims, and I have no intention of defending a 24-hour service outage. I'm just pointing out that this was an authentication/service outage, not an application outage.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 3:45:51 pm

[Walter Soyka] "I'm just pointing out that this was an authentication/service outage, not an application outage."

Let me clarify further, before I have to defend myself again. I think I'm being terribly unclear here.

1. Not only are outages not good, outages are bad.

2. This outage should not have stopped signed-in apps from functioning. To the extent that creative apps still worked, the no-connectivity fail-safe worked as designed.

3. Adobe should do better. Their customers, me included, count on them.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 5:52:44 pm

[Walter Soyka] "Rebooting does not sign you out of CC. This is the sort of factual misunderstanding around CC I'm looking to clarify."

Walter,

We're miscommunicating. Sign in status was affected by simple things like restarting by some reports. A sample of comments from the ars article:

"It hit me. I had been running Muse pretty much all day, had a couple minor glitches so I quit and tried to restart and was asked to sign in. Of course the sign in didn't work.
[…]
You didn't have to log out to get locked out. I merely quit an application (Muse) and when I restarted it moments later it asked me to sign in. …I never log out either."

User: dlstudios

"I did have a deadline. And yes, I'm locked out of some critical functions. Apparently my authorization cycle ended at an inopportune time.
[…]
We shut everything down for the night and, when we fired everything up this morning, CC wouldn't login and some programs started started saying our subscription had expired."

User: SinclairZX81

"This outage had real monetary effects on our company. It is inexcusable."
User CUclimber

I have trouble reconciling those reports with the judgement that "it doesn't paint a very good picture of who was actually affected."

I would hope that there would be some definitive report on who was affected and how. In lieu of such an update, Adobe leave themselves open to a lot of speculation.

I'll ask again - if anyone knows of a more definitive report of who was affected and how, please post.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on May 16, 2014 at 6:47:09 pm

Hi Franz,

I must plead ignorance about Muse. It was never part of the Creative Suite offering, and I have no idea if it's in any way different than the other desktop apps in terms of connectivity requirements.

I think the fact that a serious outage occurred is significant, but I also think the fact that the majority of desktop app customers were totally unaffected by it is equally significant in our discussion of Creative Cloud here.

Walter Soyka

Return to posts index

Andrew Kimery
on May 16, 2014 at 6:54:42 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "I'll ask again - if anyone knows of a more definitive report of who was affected and how, please post.
"

I don't think a definitive report will ever come out because there are too many variables. It's like why does one person's install of FCP 7 get so corrupt that it has to be erased and re-installed but another person's doesn't. Good practice says you should always do fresh installs of new operating systems yet one of my Macs has gone through three upgrade-installs of operations systems (as well as three versions of FCP) and I never ran into any problems.

For me, my computers were off for two weeks while I was out of town. I fired them up yesterday and everything worked fine (though I did get a warning that my CC programs couldn't connect to the server and I would need to connect successfully some time before August 8th). If it wasn't for Twitter and the COW I wouldn't have known there was a big problem.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 17, 2014 at 3:16:50 am

[Walter Soyka] "Rebooting does not sign you out of CC."

Nope, definitely rebooted once yesterday, still no issue.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 3:18:38 pm

... some more info at PCWorld:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2155621/adobe-creative-cloud-suffering-exten...

"4:00 P.M Eastern time, the Creative Cloud status page shows that desktop applications and files, fonts, and settings sync are now down as well. Every major Creative Cloud function is offline."

In other words, those few actual "cloud" aspects of Creative Cloud (files, fonts, sync) appeared to have been non-functional during the outage as well.

Franz.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 16, 2014 at 6:08:30 pm

FWIW my CC subscription is up at the end of this month. I logged in to cancel and opted to "chat" about any options I might be qualified for. The chat person offered me one free month. "No thanks." Then he offered another. Hmmm. "No thanks. I have found decent replacements for PS and AI - Pixelmator and iDraw for $30 a pop for life (roughly). But the main app I need is AE, and I find that my CS5 version(s) still function just fine for now." He didn't offer a third freebie month.

My plan isn't to abort Adobe completley. But to utilize other options like iDraw and Pixelmator as much as I can. But if I NEED an adobe app for a project I'll just pay the $29 for the month. If you look at it that way, renting is a GREAT deal. I'll go months where FCP X and Motion are all I need.

So I'm going to use this year as a test to see just how much it costs to use Adobe just when I need it. I suggest others do the same if it's at all feasible. At LEAST go chat with someone and get a month or two free. if everyone were to cancel, then only signup month to month or until they needed it, it might send a message. I'd be happy if they offered half plans. The old production bundle, or the web bundle, etc. $20-30 a month with a yearly contract. With the 2 months free, they still weren't in that range.

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on May 16, 2014 at 6:07:48 pm

… some other bits of info via the ars comments (Enterprise & FormsCentral):

"I had forgotten there was an outage until I saw this article. Was using premier and speedgrade yesterday without any problems. We have about 100 copies at work and I haven't heard of any problems, but we probably wouldn't have noticed since enterprise customers aren't normally affected by these problems (adobe has a special set of build tools for enterprise use that disables the DRM/activation).
[…]
Enterprise customers don't have to worry about outages like this (except for things like cloud storage, or typekit). When you build deployable packages using adobe's build tool the constant activation requirement is disabled (when the package is built it is authorized during build, after that it never checks in with adobe). If you are a volume customer you generally get a lot of leeway anyway (I can download anything adobe makes legally and don't have to pay for it until later, and these are the full versions not trial verions)."

User: daishi

"As I mentioned yesterday, the real killer was Forms Central. It's a forms-hosting service that's part of the CC package. Not only did the thing go down facing Adobe's customer, but all the forms hosted on the service were also down on the end-user-facing side. The form creators couldn't update or edit their forms, which is bad enough, but the creator's customers couldn't access, fill out, and submit the already-finished forms. That's inexcusable. Forms Central is deployed by some pretty major companies. I'd imagine that they're even more "not happy" than I am."
User: SinclairZX81

Franz.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]