FORUMS: list search recent posts

FCPX UI instability- is it just me?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Jason Porthouse
FCPX UI instability- is it just me?
on May 7, 2014 at 9:07:24 pm

So it's interesting. I'm doing an edit for a longstanding client on X - a system I suggested for her (2012 iMac i7, Radeon 6970 2 gig graphics, 20 gigs RAM. G-Raid 8TB thunderbolt media drive. Cutting non-optimised C300 footage with a little go pro thrown in the mix.

I'm getting, in no particular order -

* Cursor disappearing from the UI. Still works if you manage to hover over a menu but no mouse pointer
* Waveforms not refreshing
* Range tool utterly inaccurate when entering in and out points on the fly - for instance, I usually turn music tracks into secondaries so I can edit them and add dissolves - but try and mark a bar of a track using I & O in the range tool. Seemingly completely random placement. Same goes for clips in the browser.
* EQ's instantly lost on re-opening the EQ panel to tweak, necessitating redoing the EQ from scratch
* Beachballing at almost every move or tweak after about 4 hours work needing a restart to cure.

And a host of other REALLY frustrating UI 'features' that make day to day editing frustrating. Don't get me wrong, I love cutting in X when it's good - I've had moments when it's so quick, intuitive and easy I really can't imagine going back to anything else - but then BOOM! it drops the ball big time with something so basic you wonder what the hell they're doing in Cupertino.

Some of this may be setup - but I think not, having gone through the system with a fine tooth comb. But it just seems like some serious attention should be paid to some of the basic UI and usability and stability issues. I so want to use X for some of the broadcast edits I'm working on or have booked in for the future - some i think it would be ideal for - but these little niggles make it hard for me to suggest it to producers who are utterly wedded to Avid and will seize on any small problem to say 'See? Told you it's a mickey mouse system!' - which would be the last thing I'd want.

I'd love to spend a month with the developers going through this and sorting out stuff from an editors perspective. I really hope the next release addresses some of this funkiness.

Before you criticise a man, walk a mile in his shoes.
Then when you do criticise him, you'll be a mile away. And have his shoes.

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
Re: FCPX UI instability- is it just me?
on May 7, 2014 at 9:26:34 pm

Yikes, that sounds like something wrong in the system or set-up? Or maybe it just gacks on the C300 footage?

I seen plenty of beach-balling when the CPU cannot handle lots of h.264 or 4K material, or layers/multi-cam of any non-optimized footage.

But I haven't seen the other interface oddities like Range tool etc.

Doug D

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on May 7, 2014 at 10:01:12 pm

Not had any stability issues with FCP X but Motion seems to take its sweet time to open. Really love that beach ball, wondering if this has anything to do with Red Giant Universe, not sure. I have had plug-ins slow down X before. Anyone else experience this?

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on May 7, 2014 at 10:21:15 pm

Yeah it's odd alright. I've checked and double checked the system, it's a clean install - so unless it's some kind of funkiness between Mavs and X that I can't fathom...

Another thing. When skimming footage the actual sound and the position of the skimmer on the waveforms don't always match. Makes audio editing a bit hit and miss sometimes. This is true on at least 3 systems I've used... again a little thing but they all seem to add to the 'aarrgghh' factor.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 7, 2014 at 10:37:14 pm
Last Edited By Bill Davis on May 7, 2014 at 10:38:38 pm

Just curious as to why you aren't using the preferred workflow of Optimizing to ProRes (and/or proxy) doing all your editing with speed and ease in the mezzanine codec, then simply moving the pointers back to the original files when it's time to export your high rez masters?

Is there a reason you're making X do display transcoding for every frame it outputs? Seems like a very inefficient way to work. And likely why you're having problems with the machine doing all the interface stuff while simultaneously having to calculate every screen and pixel that comes along.

Just curious.

The Canon MXF stuff while "readable" via X isn't really a preferred editing format.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 7, 2014 at 10:45:50 pm

[Bill Davis] "The Canon MXF stuff while "readable" via X isn't really a preferred editing format."

I'm not sure this is correct. To work with the C300 footage you have to install their FCP camera plug-in. When you do that, X rewraps the XF codec (basically the same as XDCAM) from MXF to MOV. This rewrapped media is placed into the Library bundle. The codec itself is unchanged and you cannot force a transcode to ProRes. FCP X sees the XF codec as optimized, once it's rewrapped.

- Oliver

Oliver Peters Post Production Services, LLC
Orlando, FL
http://www.oliverpeters.com

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 8, 2014 at 12:20:04 am

[Oliver Peters] "The codec itself is unchanged and you cannot force a transcode to ProRes. FCP X sees the XF codec as optimized, once it's rewrapped."

Yes My bad for forgetting that issue from the two C-300 projects I shot and eddied last month. What solved the occasional "choppiness" of working with the "not really native re-wrapped MXF files" was working in X's superb Proxy mode.

I can seldom tell the difference between working in Proxy and Optimized when i'm making editing decisions - I can still do "frame parking" to look at a full rez of the underlying pictures - while the proxy files allows a VERY fast and fluid editing experience - even when editing on less than ideal hardware. It's so simple when the cut and all the processing decisions are done to swap out to Original Media and let X calculate the final Color Grading and compositing with the full rez files.

But you're right, I suspect Apple is counting on their continuing push for hardware acceleration to make it easier and easier to work with the slew of new larger file formats coming down the pike.

i bet the early CION and URSA adopters will have a bit of a rocky path in the early days as the engineers figure out how to unwrap, edit, grade and rewrap the coming variants of the newest 3.5, 4, and 5k streams.

The new chicken and egg issue. Hardware leading software until software jumps ahead of hardware - step and repute forever.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Devin Crane
on May 8, 2014 at 12:30:20 am

I've had issues when selecting a clip and deleting it I find that it actually selects random clips on the timeline and deletes them as well.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 8, 2014 at 12:39:02 am

[Bill Davis] "i bet the early CION and URSA adopters will have a bit of a rocky path in the early days as the engineers figure out how to unwrap, edit, grade and rewrap the coming variants of the newest 3.5, 4, and 5k streams. "

Huh? Aren't these going to be ProRes .MOV files? Therefore optimized. Any raw files will be image sequences requiring conversion. At least that's how I understand it.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on May 8, 2014 at 4:54:29 pm

IMHO, nobody's going to settle for image sequence workflows unless there's no other option.. And I think Apple gets that.
How is the editor going to leverage X's ranging and keywording if footage is all stored in image sequence bundles?
Or have those evolved beyond folders of discrete images like I'm accustomed to working with in the annimation arena? The grail in the labs has to be a video codec (or perhaps a "grading" ProRes extension) that preserves the latitude and deeper color that RAW stills have today - but in a motion stream.
At NAB 2013 at the Quantel booth, they were doing essentially real time deep color grading in multi 4k streams via flamethrower cards like the Covid Ultra. I've got to believe that as GPU power continues to increase we'll move in that direction. (more grading access within bundled streams.)
The market really wants it.
And that's always been Apple's brand. Simplify the human interface while still giving the user access to as much "deep power" as is practical. Or maybe the X "content pool switching" concept covers this? ProRes for editing, switch to "grading Rez" for CC? That would be interesting.

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 8, 2014 at 5:09:24 pm

[Bill Davis] "Or have those evolved beyond folders of discrete images like I'm accustomed to working with in the annimation arena?"

No, you've got it right. That's how the BMCC camera works when DNG files are used.

[Bill Davis] "The grail in the labs has to be a video codec (or perhaps a "grading" ProRes extension) that preserves the latitude and deeper color that RAW stills have today - but in a motion stream."

That's exactly what RED developed and on which they hold a patent. Other folks simply use a log gamma profile, such as ARRI (ProRes 4444, log-c encoding).

[Bill Davis] "Quantel booth, they were doing essentially real time deep color grading in multi 4k streams via flamethrower cards like the Covid Ultra."

Quantel's internal file structure for media is based on discrete frames, unlike most desktop NLEs. So even captured media from standard video files becomes image sequences under the hood when stored to their drives. I believe Smoke/Flame and Assimilate Scratch work the same way for their internal stores.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 9, 2014 at 6:14:16 pm

The CION is a 100% Pro Res camera - no image sequences. For me, in the heat of a shoot, I'll take Pro Res over frames any day. Shooting 4K 444 should be way good enough for just about anybody.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 9, 2014 at 7:15:50 pm

[Lance Bachelder] "The CION is a 100% Pro Res camera - no image sequences"

While that true for internal recording, the camera offers external recording of raw images. For their specs: "(SDI 1-4 YCbCr, SDI 1-4 RGB or SDI 1 Raw)". Presumably this would go to a Codex, KiProQuad or Odyssey. Those would record image sequences if you wanted to maintain camera raw values. Am I interpreting that correctly?

[Lance Bachelder] "I'll take Pro Res over frames any day. Shooting 4K 444 should be way good enough for just about anybody."

Completely agree. There are quite a few films these days shot with Alexa opting for ProRes over ARRIRAW. Even most feature shot on RED cameras are changed to some sort of non-raw media before the DI session, like uncompressed DPX files encoded with RedLogFilm gamma.

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 10, 2014 at 12:25:21 am

Whoops I was talking internal only. Yes the CION will send data out the 3G SDI or the Thunderbolt port depending on what you're recording. It wouldn't be a Ki Pro Quad though as that's basically inside the CION and is Pro Res only.

CHEF, which opens this weekend was shot ALEXA in Pro Res for cost and time constraints. I'm sure it looks great on the big screen.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 11, 2014 at 4:54:25 am

[Lance Bachelder] "CHEF, which opens this weekend was shot ALEXA in Pro Res for cost and time constraints. I'm sure it looks great on the big screen."

Yep, been dealing with Alexa 2K ProRes 4444 footage this week and it's gorgeous.

Return to posts index

Gary Huff
on May 8, 2014 at 4:20:43 am
Last Edited By Gary Huff on May 8, 2014 at 4:21:13 am

[Oliver Peters] "To work with the C300 footage you have to install their FCP camera plug-in. When you do that, X rewraps the XF codec (basically the same as XDCAM) from MXF to MOV. This rewrapped media is placed into the Library bundle. The codec itself is unchanged and you cannot force a transcode to ProRes. FCP X sees the XF codec as optimized, once it's rewrapped."

Yes it does, but I had a project from the XF305 (same codec) that was a very poor editing experience (basically, anything you did to a clip would not playback smoothly until it was rendered). FCPX seems to handle AVCHD much better than XF, so I would recommend a proxy or ProRes transcode like it's 2010 again.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 8, 2014 at 4:42:55 am

[Bill Davis] "Just curious as to why you aren't using the preferred workflow of Optimizing to ProRes (and/or proxy) doing all your editing with speed and ease in the mezzanine codec, then simply moving the pointers back to the original files when it's time to export your high rez masters?"

For me proxy is pointless as it doesn't support alpha channel. Depends on the project of course but I'm usually doing multilayered stuff mixing in multiple elements rendered out ProRes 4444 from After Effects.

Personally I can't see the difference in performance between ProRes 422 and the Canon h264 .movs I often edit with. I generally don't ever transcode. But I do see the beach balls or sluggishness once and again. Those are definitely not due to using h264. If they were they'd be a constant. Either the system can perform or it can't. If a system can scrub smoothly and be super responsive for 4 hours or so and then suddenly become sluggish and flaky, then there's a code issue or a plugin issue. The biggest problems I've had is with Motion templates in the timeline. Often they utilize very large files to have scaleable effects. They're a memory hog and when things get sluggish, I'll go check the memory monitor and wow, suddenly I'm using all 32gigs for FCP X, sending it beach balling or crashing. I think there are some massive memory leaks in the app.

Mixing all sorts of crazy codecs in Premiere doesn't even phase it. FCP X, should be able to handle it too. It has it's issues, but I'm not sure that's one of them.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 8, 2014 at 2:10:03 am

[Jason Porthouse] "Cursor disappearing from the UI. Still works if you manage to hover over a menu but no mouse pointer"

Try selecting the arrow tool if this happens. Sometimes I find I am still stuck on the crop tool after making an adjustment and forget to hit "done" and move on to other clips.

[Jason Porthouse] "* Waveforms not refreshing"

Yes, I have had this happen. I find toggling the view will sometimes help them refresh (it's like FCP7 in that way). Control-option-up and down arrow will help to toggle.

[Jason Porthouse] "Range tool utterly inaccurate when entering in and out points on the fly - for instance, I usually turn music tracks into secondaries so I can edit them and add dissolves - but try and mark a bar of a track using I & O in the range tool. Seemingly completely random placement. Same goes for clips in the browser."

I haven't seen this at all. With the range tool, the in/out point will be set at the cursor, so there's that. It could be better.

[Jason Porthouse] "EQ's instantly lost on re-opening the EQ panel to tweak, necessitating redoing the EQ from scratch"

Yes, this has been a bug for a few versions now. It's annoying, please report it.

[Jason Porthouse] " Beachballing at almost every move or tweak after about 4 hours work needing a restart to cure."

I do get a beach ball every now and then. It seems to be related to autosaving, and thumbnail waveform caching. I haven't found a way to completely control it, but this did help: http://forums.creativecow.net/readpost/344/28466

I know it takes some time, but I would report anything you see to Apple that is buggy. Give step by step instructions if possible, and bonus points if you can recreate it.

And now it's time for an anecdote:

I just got through more than a week of attended editing with FCPX. It was the first time I had worked with these particular clients, and I chose to use X due to the nature of the footage supplied.

Everything went really really well. No one commented on how slow everything was going or how mickey mouse the system was, because no one really noticed any difference. Audio post asked why there was 42 tracks of audio in my test AAF, and it was because 2 1.5 second clip had 16 channels of blank audio on it that I forgot to disable. I disabled it before the final of two AAFs, and all was well.

Some asked what I was editing on because it looked different from the Avid's they were used to. I told them it was Windows Movie Maker. Laughs ensued, knees were slapped, good times were had by all. And then I told them with a straight face, no seriously, it's iMovie, and kept working.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Return to posts index

David Powell
on May 8, 2014 at 2:11:12 am

Make sure your inspector is not open while editing. This can grind your system down terribly. go pro footage can slow it down as well. Best to transcode to proxy especially when using multicam. I can get away with 2 c100s native, maybe with an added go pro. But proxy workflow its so easy, you might as well.

Check the inspector first though. That's the usual suspect of this problem.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on May 8, 2014 at 2:58:13 am

[David Powell] "Check the inspector first though. That's the usual suspect of this problem."

That is very true, as well as the timeline index. Great point.

command-4 toggles the inspector open and closed.

Timeline index is command-shift-2.

Still, though, even with these closed, the beach ball comes out at halftime.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on May 8, 2014 at 11:43:22 am

Thanks for all the pointers. It's interesting because they're repeating faults but not consistent, which makes me think sloppy code rather than workflow - but I'm open to being wrong. I'd rather not transcode but will try and see if that makes a difference.

Here's another - just cutting in a sequence when the spacebar refuses to 'play' - and then the Play key, and icon on screen does too. I can skim clips but the sequence is 'stalled' and I have to load another then reload the one I'm working on to be able to play it.

Again this is stuff I've had with multiple formats across multiple systems, so it's not just system optimisation. I will report them as I'd love to get these and others fixed, just to have that solidity of editing experience.

Mindy you - cutting on Avid last week and I had maybe 2 crashes a day where the app just disappeared - no warning message, just cut to the desktop. That in a major London post house too, so no excuse in the setup.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 9, 2014 at 4:15:47 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "Still, though, even with these closed, the beach ball comes out at halftime."

This isn't a criticism, but I have a brand new Mac Pro that still beach balls once in awhile, and on average unexpectedly quits once during a long day. This is a new 8-core, Dual D700's, 64GB or ram and a 1TB SSD and it still does that, even with nothing else opened. It's running a 12TB Promise Pegasus2 disk array, so it's not like everything isn't maxed out for performance.

New machine, virgin install of everything, all new render files. I don't know how much more perfect I could make the environment? I think Apple has some more work to do (he said in his most compassionate voice)...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Dave Jenkins
on May 9, 2014 at 5:09:52 am

Mitch, I have almost the same set up and I am surprised like you that the new Mac Pro's don't operate better with FCP X. I hope the next FCP X update performs better!

[Mitch Ives] "I have a brand new Mac Pro that still beach balls once in awhile, and on average unexpectedly quits once during a long day. This is a new 8-core, Dual D700's, 64GB or ram and a 1TB SSD and it still does that, even with nothing else opened. It's running a 12TB Promise Pegasus2 disk array, so it's not like everything isn't maxed out for performance.

New machine, virgin install of everything, all new render files. I don't know how much more perfect I could make the environment? I think Apple has some more work to do (he said in his most compassionate voice)...
"

Dajen Productions, Santa Barbara, CA
Mac Pro 3.5MHz 6-Core Late 2013
FCP X

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 8, 2014 at 6:56:04 pm

Are you sure about the Radeon graphics? I thought the 2012 iMac's all had nVidia? Also the 20GB of RAM is odd - always best to have all 4 sticks be exactly the same if possible for proper dual channel memory.

If it's an nVidia card - make sure you have the latest CUDA driver - in preferences.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 8, 2014 at 8:47:39 pm

They didn't switch to nVidia until the late 2012 (shipped in december) iMac. Which most people like myself received months later in 2013. The previous model was the Mid 2011, which was radeon. If someone says 2012 I assume they mean 2011. There was a 2012 minor update in October 2012 as well, which was still radeon.

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on May 8, 2014 at 9:35:16 pm

Gotcha thanks - I also had the 2012-early 2013 iMac with nVidia.

I still wonder though if the older Radeon is just too underpowered for FCPX etc...

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 8, 2014 at 9:53:13 pm

Both machines specs and performance are nearly the same Cuda doesn't matter as FCP X uses OpenCL not cuda.

Heck, I've got Mavericks and 10.1 running on my 2006 MacPro 1,1. It runs pretty good all things considered.

I upgraded from the mid 2011 to the late 2012 just to have hardware accelerated support for ray trace in AE with CUDA. But I have hardly ever used it. With all the cool extrusions, lights, and 3D in AE nowadays, it still performs better if you use creative workarounds for extruding text and faking lights.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on May 9, 2014 at 12:02:14 pm

I did wonder about the RAM - I might pull two sticks to see if it helps. Also I noticed a CUDA driver has installed itself (part of Resolve I believe) - could this be conflicting? Can't seem to find it to uninstall - and it renders (no pun intended) Resolve unusable - not that this matters particularly...

Try this on your systems too and see if the same behaviour happens:

Grade a shot. Then add another colour adjustment with a mask - pull the exposure just on the outside of the mask for a vignette. Then copy that colour attribute and paste it - if I do that I get a completely mangled grade on the next shot, centre almost black as if the grade's been reversed. So something's being corrupted in the translation from one to another.

It's not the biggest issue, and I think that the colour board can give some very nice looks far far quicker than Legacy 3-way, but it looks bad when you do it in front of a client and it's obviously corrupted. So I grade each individually if they have multiple adjustments and hope they don't notice I'm not cutting and pasting...

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on May 9, 2014 at 2:15:28 pm

Cutting and pasting is just messed up in the current iteration of FCP X. I'm finding it everywhere.

I've found with copying attributes, if you copy and paste everything, it's usually ok. But sometimes if I just paste the distort or just the crop, it's all wonky. Wouldn't be surprised if color vignettes get messed up when you just paste the vignette.

Return to posts index

David Powell
on May 9, 2014 at 4:28:41 pm

I've had paste attributes stop functioning several times.

Return to posts index

Peter Ochs
on May 9, 2014 at 11:53:04 pm

[Jason Porthouse] "* Range tool utterly inaccurate when entering in and out points on the fly - for instance, I usually turn music tracks into secondaries so I can edit them and add dissolves - but try and mark a bar of a track using I & O in the range tool. Seemingly completely random placement. Same goes for clips in the browser."

Have to agree this is a MAJOR pet peeve. Marking I & O on the fly only marks ranges in the Primary Storyline. So if your music track is a Connected Clip (as they will be much of the time) then you're outta luck. There needs to be a way to mark IO on selected clips.

In general music editing is cumbersome in X. It's a shame with the advantage of subframe editing, but some of the current limitation of the magnetic timeline are problematic. Compounding the music edits is one work around. But then you have to "step in" to that every time you wanna edit the track. Seems clunky.

Let's hope Apple is listening to their Pro Developer Consultants. They have made great strides with each subsequent release. But it seems like it will be 10.2 or .3 before this baby is ready truly for PrimeTime.

Peter Ochs | Editor
MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM
FCP X 10.1.1
OSX 10.9.2

Return to posts index

Oliver Peters
on May 9, 2014 at 11:55:21 pm

[Peter Ochs] "In general music editing is cumbersome in X. It's a shame with the advantage of subframe editing, but some of the current limitation of the magnetic timeline are problematic. Compounding the music edits is one work around. But then you have to "step in" to that every time you wanna edit the track. Seems clunky."

With Apple buying Beats, maybe we'll get the new and improved Dr. Dre mixing panel and music editing module in FCP X. ;-)

- Oliver

Orlando, FL

Return to posts index

Peter Ochs
on May 10, 2014 at 12:53:57 am

Yeah- just apply the "Straight Outta Compton" Filter and and it edits the music for you.

(I heard the "Eazy-E" Filter might be a little buggy, though...)

Peter Ochs | Editor
MacBook Pro 2.7 GHz Intel Core i7 16 GB RAM
FCP X 10.1.1
OSX 10.9.2

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 10, 2014 at 4:35:30 am

[Oliver Peters] "With Apple buying Beats, maybe we'll get the new and improved Dr. Dre mixing panel and music editing module in FCP X. ;-)"

With lots and lots and lots of bass added to anything you might be working on.

Return to posts index

Charlie Austin
on May 10, 2014 at 2:03:35 am

[Peter Ochs] "In general music editing is cumbersome in X. It's a shame with the advantage of subframe editing, but some of the current limitation of the magnetic timeline are problematic. Compounding the music edits is one work around. But then you have to "step in" to that every time you wanna edit the track. Seems clunky."

I actually feel like cutting mx is easier in X. Chop away as connected clips A/B style, then just select the bits and put 'em in secondary A/B story lines to make them "stay put". No need to step into a CC to tweak the cuts. And you can still cut the secondaries if you need to pull up or extend a section. Agree that being able to use I/O KB shortcuts on a selected clip/storyline would be nice.

-------------------------------------------------------------

~ My FCPX Babbling blog ~
~"It is a poor craftsman who blames his tools."~
~"The function you just attempted is not yet implemented"~

Return to posts index

alban egger
on May 10, 2014 at 3:03:16 pm

There is a bug in the EQ right now. It indeed often defaults when you reopen it.

Waveforms: do you have enough RAM ? 16 GBmin! And when you import clips FCPX takes a while "rendering" the waveforms, although the import is basically done. When you cancel X while this process is still working, then you might have your issue.

Beachballs: when I use a fast RAID I never see it. When I use FW800 drives they occur often.

Return to posts index

Jason Porthouse
on May 11, 2014 at 12:42:11 pm

[alban egger] "Waveforms: do you have enough RAM ? 16 GBmin! And when you import clips FCPX takes a while "rendering" the waveforms, although the import is basically done. When you cancel X while this process is still working, then you might have your issue.

Beachballs: when I use a fast RAID I never see it. When I use FW800 drives they occur often."

Hi Alban, yes to the RAM - 20 gigs at the moment. It's not the rendering - its that skimming the clip plays audio that doesn't match the waveform under the skimmer at that moment. So I use skimming for fine audio edits - it's great tp be able to rock back and forth over audio slowly to get sub-frame accuracy. But there's a disconnect between what your seeing on screen (using the waveforms for a visual guide) and what's heard. It makes for a confusing experience until you learn what to trust (the waveforms NOT the audio)

Beachball wise - it's a Thunderbolt G-Raid so no issues there. It starts to get worse after 3 or 4 hours - move a clip in the timeline - beach ball. Raise volume - beach ball Basically any action will cause it - then it may be OK for 5 or 6 actions, then back again. Quit and restart seems to cure it for a while. I think it's doing something to the database and that's locking up X in the meantime. But that's just a guess.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]