FORUMS: list search recent posts

Time for an FCP X update?

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Steve Connor
Time for an FCP X update?
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:13:44 pm

I'll be interested to see if the next FCP X update arrives before the new Adobe updates. It's about time the FCP X developers dropped another big feature or two.

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

David Mathis
Re: Time for an FCP X update?
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:39:09 pm

Been waiting for an update as well. Every single week, on Thursday off to the App store to check for an update. Still not there. This week perhaps?

One thing is for sure, "Send To Motion" would be very great!

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:47:39 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:48:16 pm

Tuesday is generally the day for updates of the Feature variety. Maintenance updates are either Tuesday or Thursdays with a few exceptions.

Return to posts index

Tim Wilson
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:53:01 pm

Are you expecting one? Has there been an announcement? Or is this just general hope? :-)

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:56:13 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:09:53 pm

See my post below- the LONGEST duration between updates has been 148 days. So at most that would be just over another month from now. But that was also 10.1, which I'm pretty sure was sitting around waiting for the MacPro to be ready. So I'm betting the next update won't be nearly that far away.

Some have suggested the update is waiting for 10.9.3 to be released, but I'm not sure why that would be.

I'm also betting it will be a feature update, and not just bug fixes.

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:21:54 pm

Perhaps they might surprise us with FCP 11 right after Resolve 11 is released. The new version would include tracks, color wheel and my favorite, "Send To Motion" option as well. :-)

Sorry, just could not resist saying that.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:41:28 pm

[David Mathis] "Perhaps they might surprise us with FCP 11 right after Resolve 11 is released. The new version would include tracks, color wheel and my favorite, "Send To Motion" option as well. :-)"

LOL... so glad you said that and not me...

Mitch Ives
Insight Productions Corp.

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:50:00 pm

While I'm all for 2 of the 3, I REALLY hope I never have to go back to conventional tracks. My personal experience is the couple times I've had to jump back to 7 have been plain painful.

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:51:16 pm

[Marcus Moore] "While I'm all for 2 of the 3, I REALLY hope I never have to go back to conventional tracks. My personal experience is the couple times I've had to jump back to 7 have been plain painful."

Yup,

Tracks feel astonishingly restrictive after you get really comfortable with X.

"you mean I can't pop a video track below track one? - I WANT that clip in the background for compositing below my primary - and you're telling me that there's no workspace below track 1? How can you work this way?"

(File Under: sentences never heard before FCP-X)

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 29, 2014 at 10:43:41 pm

I feel the way mostly. But in all fairness it's literally a keystroke to insert a track beneath v1. :)

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2014 at 4:10:39 am

[Bret Williams] "But in all fairness it's literally a keystroke to insert a track beneath v1. :)"

I guess.

The unbreakable constraint being that ALL your video tracks are always and by necessity "over the line" and all your audio tracks are "under the line."

And that you'll never miss the "default" nature of the audio/video clip relationships that X uses to make sure you never slip stuff out of sync that you don't want to move out of sync.

Both work. Some of us just enjoy the fact that an audio'video sync clip is always "default respected" in X.

Know someone who teaches video editing in elementary school, high school or college? Tell them to check out http://www.StartEditingNow.com - video editing curriculum complete with licensed practice content.

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Apr 30, 2014 at 4:22:19 am

[Bill Davis] "Both work. Some of us just enjoy the fact that an audio'video sync clip is always "default respected" in X.
"

Until you break clips apart (which I try to never do), and FCP X decides it has no idea where that audio came from and whether it's in sync with the video or not.

It's tempting to break those clips apart so I could actually add cross fades, or trim out just the audio or video without expanding. Or keyframe individual channels without showing audio components.

Return to posts index

Andy Field
on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:33:38 pm
Last Edited By Andy Field on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:34:34 pm

Bill Davis

"you mean I can't pop a video track below track one? - I WANT that clip in the background for compositing below my primary - and you're telling me that there's no workspace below track 1? How can you work this way?"

sentences never heard in FCP 7 either (can't put a track below track 1? Seriously? just add more tracks...)

Andy Field
FieldVision Productions
N. Bethesda, Maryland 20852

Return to posts index

Bill Davis
on Apr 30, 2014 at 6:15:29 pm

[Andy Field] "sentences never heard in FCP 7 either (can't put a track below track 1? Seriously? just add more tracks...)"

OK, let me be more precise for all those who don't understand the difference between FCP-X and FCP-Legacy.

When you add a track in FCP-Legacy - yes, you get a new track where track ONE currently is. But it rachets all your tracks up so that 1 becomes 2, 2 becomes 3, etc.

In X. The Primary storyline - which can be thought of as "track one" has special attributes that no other tracks has - including clip to clip magnetism and a special reporting relationship with the Timeline Index.

So when you "add" a track in X, the process is VERY different compared to "adding" a track in Legacy.

In X, new "tracks" (actually connected clips) can be located above or below the primary. Video and audio can also be placed independently above or below each other without the older style "above the line is video and below the line is audio" conventions of most NLEs.

Also, unlike in legacy, video and audio aren't ALWAYS treated as discrete elements. In X, most clips arrive reflecting the way they were created, which is to say video with embedded audio - just like typical single system field files. The default is to keep sync sound, IN SYNC, Always. You have to take specific action to break the sound and video apart. Which makes tremendous sense in most modern workflows, IMO.

New editors coming to X seldom understand all this up front.

This is part of why the very concept of "tracks" is seen so differently in X than it is for legacy editors.

Releasing "tracks are just tracks and that's how I organize my stuff" thinking - should help an editor "get" X more rapidly. Again, IMO.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 3:53:26 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:07:12 pm

Yup. Apple has stated publicly since 10.1 was released that their goal for updates is 3-4 months. 10.1.1 dropped just over 100 days ago.

Here's the little chart I keep in my notes-

10.0.0 - 2011.06.21 Tuesday
10.0.1 - 2011.09.20 91 DAYS Tuesday
10.0.2 - 2011.11.16 57 DAYS Wednesday
10.0.3 - 2012.01.31 76 DAYS Tuesday
10.0.4 - 2012.04.10 70 DAYS Tuesday
10.0.5 - 2012.06.11 62 DAYS Monday
10.0.6 - 2012.10.23 134 DAYS Tuesday
10.0.7 - 2012.12.06 44 DAYS Thursday
10.0.8 - 2013.03.28 112 DAYS Thursday
10.0.9 - 2013.07.30 124 DAYS Tuesday
10.1.0 - 2013.12.19 148 DAYS Thursday
10.1.1 - 2014.01.16 28 DAYS Thursday
10.1.2 - 2014.04.29 103 DAYS so far...

bold is feature updates

Return to posts index

Franz Bieberkopf
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:21:03 pm

[Marcus Moore] "Here's the little chart I keep in my notes"

Marcus,

So, isn't the pattern between feature updates thus:

91 days
133 days
266 days
428 days

... and doesn't that suggest a growing lag between feature updates, the next of which would be something like 600 days after the last feature update. (If you're looking for patterns.)

Franz.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:34:00 pm
Last Edited By Marcus Moore on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:35:39 pm

That's true, Franz. And I hope it's not a trend we see continue.

Though I do have two pet theories in that regard. First, I think Retina support in 10.0.5 to coincide with the rMBPs was probably "sprung" on the dev team, and set back whatever other feature update plans they had for that year. As for 10.1, Apple wanted to release it in conjunction with the new MacPro, no matter what. So I think it was another case of Apple's hardware plans mucking with X release dates. Looking at how early guys like Ripple Training seemingly had 10.1 in their hands, it could have been release ready as early as October.

But this is all Kremlinology of the highest order.

Hopefully a feature update in the next month with reset the clock on the lengthening trend between feature releases.

If Apple released 10.1.2 today, it would be 131 days since the last feature update.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:59:05 pm

[Franz Bieberkopf] "So, isn't the pattern between feature updates thus: 91 days, 133 days, 266 days, 428 days, ... and doesn't that suggest a growing lag between feature updates, the next of which would be something like 600 days after the last feature update. (If you're looking for patterns.)"

Some unrelated thoughts:

1. A few of us hypothesized back in 2011/2012 that the early feature updates were late launch features, not an indication of an extremely rapid pace of development that could be sustained indefinitely.

2. It's easier to add features to a new, lean system or app than it is a mature, full-featured one. Eventually FCP X will transition from new/lean to mature/full-featured (if it hasn't already).

3. The last feature release with libraries seems to have involved a bit of structural back-to-the-drawing-board -- which could have increased the time prior to that release, and which may allow for some lean rapid development in that area in the next couple releases.

4. FCP X seems to be following the same trajectory that Motion and Aperture have, with a lot of exciting early development followed by stabilization and "boring" updates.

5. There are only 7 years to go before they blow it all up again with a new release, which means only 4-5 more years of active development here (he says jokingly... maybe).

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 6:04:18 pm

Agreed about 10.1. I think those were foundational changes which probably forestalled some other, more surface level, feature work.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:09:49 pm

[Walter Soyka] "4. FCP X seems to be following the same trajectory that Motion and Aperture have, with a lot of exciting early development followed by stabilization and "boring" updates."

Ouch... I hope that isn't true, but I suspect you may be right.

[Douglas K. Dempsey] "What would motivate a Jobs-like outrage, followed by a rapid, comprehensive expansion of pro features? Well, if Jobs were alive and perceived that Resolve 11 seemed to be taunting him, he might throw more resources behind X. But Tim Cook doesn't seem to think that way."

You're right, but it isn't just FCP X... Tim Cook seems more concerned about social issues and writing letters to sovereign states than he does in figuring out how to deliver a Mac Pro in under 3 months. Strange focus, since he was supposed to be a supply chain expert. As for FCP X, when was the last time he even made reference to it? So, as much as I want you to be wrong, sadly, I'm afraid you may be right as well.

Mitch Ives

"Criticism may not be agreeable, but it is necessary. It fulfills the same function as pain in the human body. It calls attention to an unhealthy state of things." - Winston Churchill

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:42:08 pm

It's been 4 months.

"These are mediocre times, Mrs Dunn. People are starting to lose hope. It's hard for many to believe there are extraordinary things inside themselves as well as others."

OK, maybe the situation is not that dramatic. But you know, let's have an update!

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:43:52 pm

Best get it out before Resolve 11 is released, or it'll probably get lost in all the R11 chatter...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 29, 2014 at 4:47:18 pm

While the editorial improvements in Resolve 11 are impressive, I think we're still a generation or two away from it being competitive with the big 3. At least that my impression from reports. What they've done is great- it just has a ways to go.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:22:26 pm

Agreed Marcus. Been doing a lot of testing with Resolve 10 and looking forward to 11. R10 has a long way to go, and no matter what they put into R11, I think X will be the superior editor. But, I am excited about the combination. Summer project will be to get very proficient on R11.

Scott Witthaus
Senior Editor/Post Production Supervisor
1708 Inc./Editorial
Professor, VCU Brandcenter

Return to posts index

David Mathis
on Apr 29, 2014 at 5:40:44 pm

I am super excited as well now that I have a Blackmagic Cinema Camera, still getting it ready to go out for some test footage.

Going to do most work in RAW format, granted this means a few extra steps but don't mind doing it. We have a nice lake and dam nearby, probably the first few things for some test footage. Hoping that Red Giant Universe will be supported in the new version of Resolve as I want to get everything finished there. Also hoping that whatever I can cook up in Motion as a transition will be supported as well though that is not likely.

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 29, 2014 at 9:46:14 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Agreed Marcus. Been doing a lot of testing with Resolve 10 and looking forward to 11. R10 has a long way to go, and no matter what they put into R11, I think X will be the superior editor. But, I am excited about the combination. Summer project will be to get very proficient on R11."

I'm not sure I see any point in comparing R10 to R11? R10 was a grading program with a couple of basic editing things to allow you to not run back and forth. R11 could actually be used for a lot of editing projects from start to finish. Really no comparison, so unless you've spent time with R11, I'm not sure spending any time with R10 would allow you to reach any meaningful conclusions.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on Apr 30, 2014 at 2:09:27 pm

[Mitch Ives] "Really no comparison, so unless you've spent time with R11, I'm not sure spending any time with R10 would allow you to reach any meaningful conclusions."

We can be sure R11 will be track based, so in my opinion (only) that will make it slower than FCPX. Tracks will be great for some and unwelcome to others. I am personally much faster on X giving me more time to "tweak" creatively. Those looking for FCP8 will be happy. Premiere editors will be curious, to say the least.

Most color that I do can be accomplished in X so there would be no need for R11 on most jobs. Why force the issue if you can just quickly get it done it X (or any other software that is not R11 for that matter)?

However I will enjoy the ability to send those jobs that do need color over to R11 when locked and then back to X for audio, titles and delivery. And I will be learning R11 as it feels like a good place to go for future freelance opportunities.

Those are my "meaningful" conclusions (and only mine) at this point. I reserve the right to change any and all at any point! :-)

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 30, 2014 at 3:01:52 pm

Well said... and I think we all reserve the right to change our mind at any time... :-)

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on Apr 29, 2014 at 9:41:46 pm

[Marcus Moore] "While the editorial improvements in Resolve 11 are impressive, I think we're still a generation or two away from it being competitive with the big 3. At least that my impression from reports. What they've done is great- it just has a ways to go."

I think a lot of people would agree with that, but here's the real question: Do you think in two years Resolve will have matured faster than FCP X has in it's first two years? I use FCP X every day, but that doesn't mean I think they're moving forward fast enough...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Brian Mulligan
on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:28:26 pm

Count since list update clock for FCPX
http://www.tickcounter.com/countup/2014jan17/America+New_York/123000am/Last...

Brian Mulligan
Senior Editor - Autodesk Smoke
WTHR-TV Indianapolis,IN, USA
Twitter: @bkmeditor

Return to posts index

Douglas K. Dempsey
on Apr 30, 2014 at 1:58:54 pm

Unfortunately I think Walter's scenario is the most likely. X is a cool idea, I love using it, but I think what we see is what we get. I doubt it will dramatically evolve beyond its present concept, any more than iMovie has changed by leaps and bounds since the big shift years ago.

Unless there is a change from the top -- someone at Apple who suddenly, Jobs-like, decrees "How did we become last in the video editing race?" -- we will mostly see only minor features and tweaks.

What would motivate a Jobs-like outrage, followed by a rapid, comprehensive expansion of pro features? Well, if Jobs were alive and perceived that Resolve 11 seemed to be taunting him, he might throw more resources behind X. But Tim Cook doesn't seem to think that way.

Doug D

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on Apr 30, 2014 at 5:00:03 pm

With ProApps like Aperture (a VERY promising app early on) disappearing further and further into the rear view mirror by it's competitors, it's of course always going to be worrisome that the same thing will happen to X.

And while we just plain don't hear anything about Aperture development, everything I've heard from people who have spoken to the team, indicate that this is NOT a product that they intend to languish.

As I've outlined in a few places, I think development has been caught behind some walls that were not of the X team's creation. The new Library structure required Mavericks, so it just plain couldn't be launched until it 10.9 was in October. And even then it was another 3 months until the co-ordinated MacPro/FCPX 10.1 launch in LATE December that we finally saw the update.

I'm really hoping that the X team can get back onto more regular feature updates now, unrestrained by having to couch to any new hardware or software shifts. I definitely want to see the slowing progress of updates reversed with a nice feature update with 10.1.2 in the near future.

Return to posts index

Jeff Kirkland
on Apr 30, 2014 at 9:10:51 pm

FCPX already does most of what I want so I don't really care about new features. Not that I don't like getting them and I do have a list things that'd be cool to see but nothing I can't work around. I'm not in any rush.

What I do want though is bug fixes and stability. Make what's there right now stable. Take as many updates as you need to do that. Then bring on some new features. Not a dozen new things that introduce a zillion new bugs though... Just one or two and then concentrate on stability again.

I'm very happy with those 'boring' updates. Bring 'em on.

Jeff Kirkland | Video Producer | Southern Creative Media | Melbourne Australia
http://www.southerncreative.com.au | G+: http://gplus.to/jeffkirkland | Twitter: @jeffkirkland

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 1, 2014 at 12:30:45 pm

Also, does it worry anyone else that BMD is stretching thin and getting into everything?? I mean, it's dizzying to look at their product pages.

As Avid found out, the money is in the hardware. You make no profit giving away software products. Software needs to sell hardware. Or at least that's what it looks like from where I sit...

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 1, 2014 at 2:25:02 pm

[Scott Witthaus] "Also, does it worry anyone else that BMD is stretching thin and getting into everything?? I mean, it's dizzying to look at their product pages.

As Avid found out, the money is in the hardware. You make no profit giving away software products. Software needs to sell hardware. Or at least that's what it looks like from where I sit..."

You raise a good point. I do hear grumblings from camera owners about things that are still not fixed. I guess in the end, it all depends on how many resources they have and how many are committed to the product.

Hey, at least they won't get pulled away from their primary task to work on IOS stuff... as has happened at Apple. I guess time will tell.

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 1, 2014 at 2:38:01 pm

I guess I am trying to figure out what BMD is and what would be the priority?

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 1, 2014 at 3:03:06 pm

I'm all for stability and performance improvements. If we could make the decision for one over the other, I think most people would want a rock-solid version of what we have now.

That said, I'm not sure the FCPX team has to make that choice. Are the same people who fix code bugs and improve performance the same people who design new UI and features? I think if the team was only interested in stability improvements, chunks of the team would be sitting around with nothing to do.

Return to posts index

Scott Witthaus
on May 1, 2014 at 5:52:58 pm

[Marcus Moore] " Are the same people who fix code bugs and improve performance the same people who design new UI and features?"

I would think there is a UX team and a coding team that work closely together to be sure the UI is coded and works as planned. Bug fixes and stability I would think would be on the code side.

Scott Witthaus
1708 Inc./Editorial

Return to posts index

alban egger
on May 1, 2014 at 9:38:18 pm

In competition with Adobe they don't need to hurry to bring features, since Adobe tries to catch up with FCPX and not the other way round.

In terms of days since the last update, yes, it has slowed down, but 10.1.1 is so good and stable, there is no need to rush updates just for the sake of changing things.....

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 2, 2014 at 10:53:44 am

[alban egger] " In competition with Adobe they don't need to hurry to bring features, since Adobe tries to catch up with FCPX and not the other way round."

In all fairness, I think all NLEs bring something different and bring something new to the table. Any trivial look into the programs will reveal that.

That's about as vanilla, generic and 'politically correct' an answer as I can give! ;-)

Dennis - Adobe guy

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 2, 2014 at 12:16:08 pm

When's the next PPro update coming Dennis?

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Dennis Radeke
on May 2, 2014 at 12:45:13 pm

[Steve Connor] "When's the next PPro update coming Dennis?"

Answering that question is like volunteering to be fired. I kinda like my job...

Dennis

Return to posts index

Steve Connor
on May 2, 2014 at 12:57:44 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "[Steve Connor] "When's the next PPro update coming Dennis?"

Answering that question is like volunteering to be fired. I kinda like my job...
"

It was worth a try!

Steve Connor
Mellowing slowly

Return to posts index

Mitch Ives
on May 3, 2014 at 3:06:38 pm

[Dennis Radeke] "Answering that question is like volunteering to be fired. I kinda like my job..."

Priceless answer... I nominate it for the hall of fame on all time great posts...

Mitch Ives

Return to posts index

Chris Harlan
on May 3, 2014 at 12:22:22 am

[alban egger] "n competition with Adobe they don't need to hurry to bring features, since Adobe tries to catch up with FCPX and not the other way round."

Oh, now; that's just goofball. Pure and simple.

Return to posts index

Marcus Moore
on May 3, 2014 at 2:57:35 pm

Even as a staunch FCPX user, on this point I'd agree. Adobe has had a great, steady update cycle over the past 3 years, and I think even improved since CC transition (since they no longer have to "horde" features for an update they have to convince their users to buy every year).

I think they do two solid feature updates a year. One announced at NAB and released during the summer, and one around IBC and released near the end of the year.

And I think that sounds about right, especially for evolving applications like Pr and X.

I hope Apple gets back to that this year.

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]