FORUMS: list search recent posts

Corning Optical Thunderbolt 2 cable

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Bob Zelin
Corning Optical Thunderbolt 2 cable
on Apr 25, 2014 at 11:03:17 pm

Hi -
I have no idea of where to post something like this, so I figured you guys would be interested.

At NAB 2014, I saw the Corning Optical Thunderbolt 2 cables, which can be 10 meters, 30 meters or 60 meters. I tried something that they told me at the show, and it worked.

I asked them how could you use this cable to the new Mac Pro if the Apple Thunderbolt monitors had a fixed male cable coming out of it, that was designed to plug directly into the new Mac Pro. The female port on the monitor was an "output" port. They said that they tried it (plugging into the female OUTPUT port) and it worked, and then you could daisy chain using the short fixed cable to other thunderbolt 2 devices.

Well, they were right. I ran the long Corning optical cable between the new Mac Pro and the OUTPUT port of the Apple Thunderbolt monitor, and it worked (full resolution), and I was able to connect the Keyboard/Mouse to the USB port on the back of that monitor, and it too worked perfectly. This means NO MORE KVM EXTENDERS from Gefen, Smart AVI, etc. to build a machine room with the new Mac Pro - just get a long Corning Optical cable, and you are done. And while the cable is not cheap, it's sure cheaper than buying a $1200 KVM.

bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
Re: Corning Optical Thunderbolt 2 cable
on Apr 26, 2014 at 1:43:23 am

I have a couple of the 10m cables hooked to Belkin boxes.

They work great and it is the easiest extension I've ever had to deal with. I love it.

Also, I really really want to see that LG monitor you wrote about. That would also be a kickass box that puts a whole lot of capability in to one wide monitor, and one long cable.

I'm sorry, I know everyone here doesn't like Thunderbolt, but it's convenience combined with performance have been great.

Return to posts index

Bob Zelin
on Apr 26, 2014 at 1:41:01 pm

I would never have known about the LG ultra wide monitor, had I not seen it in use at the Corning booth at NAB. The image quality was amazing, the features were amazing, and it made me realize that there was no longer a reason for KVM's for all the stuff on your desk, if you simply had one of these LG monitors, AND the Corning cable. Cheap and easy decision.

I am telling you, the small booths (at any trade show) are the ones with the real innovations. Looking at MTape from MLogic (the thunderbolt LTO drive) was amazing, and cheap, and easy.

Bob Zelin

Bob Zelin
Rescue 1, Inc.
maxavid@cfl.rr.com

Return to posts index

Jimmy Holcomb
on Apr 26, 2014 at 5:45:52 pm
Last Edited By Jimmy Holcomb on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:03:36 pm

BTW there is a long thread about this monitor on the macrumors forum from Feb.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1706833

Also, this reviewer really likes it for gaming

Return to posts index

Stephen Underwood
on Apr 26, 2014 at 1:50:32 pm

Could you post the model and price of the LG monitor? Curious... Thanks!

~ Steve Underwood

Computer: MacBook Pro, OS X 10.9.1
Processor: 2.6GHz, Intel Core i7, Memory: 16GB
Intel Iris Pro, NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M, FCX 10.1.1
Pegasus 4TB RAID

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 26, 2014 at 2:33:00 pm

It's in Bob's NAB review: http://library.creativecow.net/zelin_bob/NAB_2014/1

It supposedly releases very soon.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

Lance Bachelder
on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:10:56 pm

http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor - says it releases in May at around $1500 ea. Looks fantastic - I want 2! Love how they use Premiere for marketing photo - where's X?

I have dual LG IPS 27's I bought last year and they're great - excellent color, run cool.

Lance Bachelder
Writer, Editor, Director
Downtown Long Beach, California
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm1680680/?ref_=fn_al_nm_1

Return to posts index

Jeff Dufour
on May 10, 2014 at 1:31:36 pm

Hey Lance,

I just purchased the http://www.lg.com/us/monitors/lg-34UM95-P-ultrawide-monitor yesterday and will be connecting it to my Mac Pro when it arrives this coming Monday. I purchased it from Fry's Electronics in Fountain Valley, CA. I just happened to check the LG site for availability one more time and there was one available there at that Fry's Fountain Valley, which is about an hour drive for me. The display was on a truck and about to be headed to the Los Angeles Area. He pulled it from the truck and saved it for me. I literally secured it about 5 minutes before the truck was to depart...whew! I paid $999.99 for it plus Tax and the 3 year extended warranty....ended up just over $1,200 total. I truly looks like it's going to be a great match for my 8-core Mac Pro versus the Apple Thunderbolt display ... especially for the price. I'll post an update when I get the system all hooked up next week.

Return to posts index

Mike Parfit
on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:11:57 pm

Jeremy, I gather from a search that you're using the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock. If so are they working OK for you? Any tips for getting them to work as advertised?

Thanks,

Mike

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 26, 2014 at 6:47:02 pm

[Mike Parfit] "Jeremy, I gather from a search that you're using the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock. If so are they working OK for you? Any tips for getting them to work as advertised? "

It's as easy as plugging them in.

For audio in/out, you have to choose the routing is sys prefs. Easy.

My only complaint is the absolutely giant power supply, and recessed mini plug port for audio (had to get a different cable than the one I had).

It's not a big deal with our desks, but it would be a big deal if you needed to travel with them.

It is really nice to be able to put it where you want and have a "port" station with all the cables running to it.

Also, it's great to have an easy fw800 port for those drives still show up from time to time.

The price has come down, so they are a good deal.

Jeremy

Return to posts index

James Culbertson
on Apr 27, 2014 at 12:08:51 am

[Jeremy Garchow] "[Mike Parfit] "Jeremy, I gather from a search that you're using the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock. If so are they working OK for you? Any tips for getting them to work as advertised? "

It's as easy as plugging them in."

Second this. I have not had any connectivity issues with this Belkin dock.

Only thing that could be better for me is to put the power and at least one of the Tbolt connectors on the opposite side as all the other plugs. I use it primarily for temporary connections to legacy hard drives, iPhone charging, etc., so I like the main set of plugins to face front on my desk. Not sure what others think of this.

Return to posts index

Jeremy Garchow
on Apr 27, 2014 at 12:37:59 am

[James Culbertson] "Not sure what others think of this."

I always have a cable in for Ethernet/audio/power so, I try and hide the business end as much as possible. The little channel they have underneath it is perfect for the thunderbolt cable. I leave a USB3 and fw800 cable always plugged in as well.

I looked around at the different docks at the time I bought them and thought this one suited my particular needs the best, but other docks have ports on two sides which may work better in your case. The Belkin was also the only one with fw800, if I remember correctly, while others had HDMI instead.

Return to posts index

Walter Soyka
on Apr 26, 2014 at 4:34:38 pm

[Bob Zelin] "This means NO MORE KVM EXTENDERS from Gefen, Smart AVI, etc. to build a machine room with the new Mac Pro - just get a long Corning Optical cable, and you are done. And while the cable is not cheap, it's sure cheaper than buying a $1200 KVM. "

I'm curious: can this cable run DisplayPort only with miniDP/DP adapters?

Walter Soyka
Principal & Designer at Keen Live
Motion Graphics, Widescreen Events, Presentation Design, and Consulting
RenderBreak Blog - What I'm thinking when my workstation's thinking
Creative Cow Forum Host: Live & Stage Events

Return to posts index

David Cherniack
on Apr 26, 2014 at 7:33:14 pm

I'm curious if it'll run with windows boxes such as the HP or even with the Thunderbolt equipped Asus main board. This use seems to be the most advantageous use for Thnderbolt. It would seem that it's difficult to argue its superiorty over pci-e based solutions for other uses...unless of course one is wedded to the trashcan... where there's really not much of a choice.

David
http://AllinOneFilms.com

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]