FORUMS: list search recent posts

Final Cut Pro Petition

COW Forums : Apple Final Cut Pro X Debates

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
Val Jones
Final Cut Pro Petition
on Jun 28, 2011 at 3:07:20 am

The petition that is floating around (http://www.petitiononline.com/finalcut/petition.html) has me worried. I think a petition is a great idea, but I am really unhappy with the demands -- they come across very petulant.

"1. Final Cut Studio 3 is immediately reinstated, supported, and referred to as Apple's "professional grade" editing application.

2. Final Cut Pro is restored under a new name with the functionality and user interface of Final Cut Pro 7.

3. Final Cut Pro X is to be considered part of the iMovie family or labeled a "prosumer" product.

OR,

1. The source code to Final Cut Pro 7 is auctioned or sold to a third-party by January 1, 2012."

Asking Apple to continue to sell and support Final Cut Studio 3 for another couple of years is very reasonable. Demanding that they change the names and the way they refer to each product is just plan childish, and really reduces the effectiveness of the petition (and I am afraid that it is keeping people from signing on).

If the FCP community wants to get more than a few thousand people to sign a petition, it needs to stick to the points that we all really care about, and that Apple would conceivably deliver.

I think a better worded petition would get tens of thousands of signatures, and have a much larger impact with Apple.

Just my two cents on the subject.

Return to posts index

Chad Nickle
Re: Final Cut Pro Petition
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:19:36 am

I agree, the way this thing is worded is horrible, petty nonsense.

Return to posts index

Scott Sheriff
on Jun 28, 2011 at 5:14:39 pm

[Chad Nickle] "I agree, the way this thing is worded is horrible, petty nonsense."

I agree it's poorly worded, but at least it's something.
I wouldn't go so far as to say petty. Could be a case of passionate debate, or perhaps the writer is not primarily an English speaker.

And when it's time for pitchforks and torches. Or tar and feathers, it isn't always a top priority to worry about the colors of the feathers or the smell of the tar.

Scott Sheriff
Director
http://www.sstdigitalmedia.com

I have a system, it has stuff in it, and stuff hooked to it. I have a camera, it can record stuff. I read the manuals, and know how to use this stuff and lots of other stuff too.
You should be suitably impressed...

"If you think it's expensive to hire a professional to do the job, wait until you hire an amateur." ---Red Adair

Return to posts index

Bret Williams
on Jun 28, 2011 at 6:29:07 am

Why wouldn't 2 and 3 be switched? I would think that simply calling the new app something else, and putting FCP 7 back on the shelves would be the complete solution.

Return to posts index

Marvin Holdman
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:30:25 pm

Perhaps not the best petition in the world, but it sends the message of discontent. I signed it, and will sign any other petition out there that let's Apple know this is a colossal blunder. I realize that there is little we can do about any of this. If it took them 2 years to roll out this fetid pile of software, it's going to take at least that much longer to come up with something that might even be remotely viable as a replacement. After 20+ years of making a living off of this platform I still hold out a shred of hope that we might continue using Apple products. It is still a viable Unix box and I would still prefer dealing with Apple service. That being said, I am certainly looking at PC alternatives today. Problem is, they are just as depressing as Apple's current state of disregard for professional users. Perhaps one day I will succumb to the dumbed down, cloud based, prosumer, iPad approach to doing television work, but it's not going to be without voicing my discontent.

After all this time working in this business, I really, really, really think the suggestion of this current approach only benefits the manufacturer, NOT the user. Nice koolaid, if you can force the masses to drink it.

Bring me petitions, I will sign them. All of them.

Marvin Holdman
Production Manager
Tourist Network
8317 Front Beach Rd, Suite 23
Panama City Beach, Fl
phone 850-234-2773 ext. 128
cell 850-585-9667
skype username - vidmarv

Return to posts index

Paul Dickin
on Jun 28, 2011 at 12:54:55 pm

[Marvin Holdman] " I signed it, and will sign any other petition out there..."
Another one:
http://www.petitiononline.com/fcbetter/petition.html

Add ability to import and export XML files natively;
Add ability to import previous Final Cut Pro projects natively;
Add ability to export OMF files natively;
Add ability to change a project’s frame rate after it’s been created;
Add ability to read and write projects stored on an network or SAN volumes;
Add ability to switch the Final Cut Pro X layout to a more traditional 2-monitor setup;
Add ability to preview true video signal, independent from the 2-monitor setup;
Add support for Multicam editing;
Add support from capturing and recording to tape, not only via capture now but also via batch capture and print to tape natively;
Add support for importing image sequence files such as DPX and OpenEXR;

Return to posts index

<< PREVIOUS   •   VIEW ALL   •   PRINT   •   NEXT >>
© 2017 CreativeCOW.net All Rights Reserved
[TOP]